Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,989 members, 7,799,392 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:20 PM

How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities (60925 Views)

Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB / see why even a gateman can send his kids to US/canadian universities! / Canadian Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by elmsy: 1:01pm On Nov 26, 2017
Can one still applying for a PhD falling short of the academic requirements. I have 2:2 both at 1st degree n masters level but I really want to pursue a research degree.
Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by Crixina(f): 6:36am On Nov 28, 2017
Jengbetiele:
Sequel to numerous of private messages enquiries I got after my two posts https://www.nairaland.com/2822230/having-tough-time-academics-read and https://www.nairaland.com/2432779/funny-jjc-experience-canada . There is a common objective in all the mails received. Similarly going by most of the quotes, replies and mentions on the thread it became obvious that everyone wants to know how to secure a scholarship in Canadian universities for graduate programs at master’s level and PhD. The aim of this thread to give detailed step by step procedures during the application phase. Needless to say that when you secure a full scholarship admission in a foreign university, the chances you will be given the visa is 95 percent. They rarely deny or delay scholars . Let’s get started

Graduate programs are basically of two types in Canada. The first being thesis or research based admission and the second project route admission. While thesis based is meant for researchers and people who would not mind a PhD in the near future, project based is mainly suited for students who would prefer to work in the industry hence most project based programs have a coop or work term component…don’t be confused na just IT…but paid IT and it usually runs for 4 months.

Due to the nature of thesis based master’s degree, it is usually more rigorous and highly competitive you know how money matter dey always be now hahahha and as a result, you are given a full scholarship from basically three sources. The first is School of graduate studies; the second is your home department while the third is from Research assistant role or teaching assistant role.
The accumulation of these funds runs in thousands of dollars paid to you per annum. They deduct your tuition and other expenses and pay you the rest on a bi-weekly basis. It is worthy of mention to state explicitly that once you apply for a thesis route masters degree, you need not apply for any other scholarship separately. It comes together like bread and butter in most cases hahahaha. And when you are admitted and you get funding from an external source, they stop the one that comes with your admission hahahahaha you wan hammer ontop scholarship money abi? .

Now the big question is how do I qualify and/or what are the basic requirements. Well for the most part, you need a CGPA of nothing less than a 75 percent in your undergraduate. This is equivalent to a 3.5 on a 5.0 scale. Depending on your choice of program, you may need Gmat or GRE and probably IELTS too as part of supporting documents. As earlier stated the competition is always very fierce. My supervisor told me over 700 applicants submitted while just 15 were chosen. Hence you need to be that irresistible and promising young scholar.

This is where creating a scholarly profile comes in. It is not a requirement most times but I recommend including your scholarly publications in your application and certificates of membership of academic bodies. If you are still an undergraduate, hope still dey. Join IEEE, AIESEC and all these student organizations. And try write some articles also. I did it so you can do it too. Just research and stop being lazy like me hahahha. Moreover, you will need to write a clear and concise statement of purpose clearly stating your research interest and your academic feats. All these writings no be big deal. They are just a perfect avenue to sell yourself to the review panel and make them pee in their pants hahahahhaa thereby creating that enthusiasm to sign you. All these would further strengthen your case and make your application more competitive. As a matter of fact I included all these when I was applying even certificates of presentations and participations in academic conferences in Nigeria.

One of the hurdles in securing a thesis admission is getting a supervisor. That can be very frustrating as I went through the same too. So my advice here is draft a very unique proposal. Not just the normal template we see around. Be creative an instance when I was writing mine I wrote something likes “Sir I read your publications titled database blab blab la bla. While it is educative and interesting if adopted in today’s world of computing, I would like to specifically state that combining your methodology with so so so approach could create a more efficient database system…..I made logical suggestions to one of his works while indirectly critiquing others hahahaha try this with a naija professor at your peril hahahahaha. So write a catchy proposal. Because even if you have a first class, and you can’t get a supervisor, you won’t be admitted. Though some universities do merge student automatically the supervisor of aligning interest but most of them won’t do that.

Above all, pray for favour and goodluck because sometimes the race is not to the swift hahahahaha. Before I return my pen into basket of love, I wish you a prosperous 2016 in advance.
I think I have sent you countless PMs, I'm so sorry, I'm not stalking you(that's if you got them), I just read this and I had some pressing questions to ask, please, let's talk, let me know when you read this.
Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by Infamous(m): 8:28pm On Nov 28, 2017
AKDEGREAT

1 Like

Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by IstandWitBuhari: 5:23am On Dec 05, 2017
Jengbetiele:
Sequel to numerous of private messages enquiries I got after my two posts https://www.nairaland.com/2822230/having-tough-time-academics-read and https://www.nairaland.com/2432779/funny-jjc-experience-canada . There is a common objective in all the mails received. Similarly going by most of the quotes, replies and mentions on the thread it became obvious that everyone wants to know how to secure a scholarship in Canadian universities for graduate programs at master’s level and PhD. The aim of this thread to give detailed step by step procedures during the application phase. Needless to say that when you secure a full scholarship admission in a foreign university, the chances you will be given the visa is 95 percent. They rarely deny or delay scholars . Let’s get started

Graduate programs are basically of two types in Canada. The first being thesis or research based admission and the second project route admission. While thesis based is meant for researchers and people who would not mind a PhD in the near future, project based is mainly suited for students who would prefer to work in the industry hence most project based programs have a coop or work term component…don’t be confused na just IT…but paid IT and it usually runs for 4 months.

Due to the nature of thesis based master’s degree, it is usually more rigorous and highly competitive you know how money matter dey always be now hahahha and as a result, you are given a full scholarship from basically three sources. The first is School of graduate studies; the second is your home department while the third is from Research assistant role or teaching assistant role.
The accumulation of these funds runs in thousands of dollars paid to you per annum. They deduct your tuition and other expenses and pay you the rest on a bi-weekly basis. It is worthy of mention to state explicitly that once you apply for a thesis route masters degree, you need not apply for any other scholarship separately. It comes together like bread and butter in most cases hahahaha. And when you are admitted and you get funding from an external source, they stop the one that comes with your admission hahahahaha you wan hammer ontop scholarship money abi? .

Now the big question is how do I qualify and/or what are the basic requirements. Well for the most part, you need a CGPA of nothing less than a 75 percent in your undergraduate. This is equivalent to a 3.5 on a 5.0 scale. Depending on your choice of program, you may need Gmat or GRE and probably IELTS too as part of supporting documents. As earlier stated the competition is always very fierce. My supervisor told me over 700 applicants submitted while just 15 were chosen. Hence you need to be that irresistible and promising young scholar.

This is where creating a scholarly profile comes in. It is not a requirement most times but I recommend including your scholarly publications in your application and certificates of membership of academic bodies. If you are still an undergraduate, hope still dey. Join IEEE, AIESEC and all these student organizations. And try write some articles also. I did it so you can do it too. Just research and stop being lazy like me hahahha. Moreover, you will need to write a clear and concise statement of purpose clearly stating your research interest and your academic feats. All these writings no be big deal. They are just a perfect avenue to sell yourself to the review panel and make them pee in their pants hahahahhaa thereby creating that enthusiasm to sign you. All these would further strengthen your case and make your application more competitive. As a matter of fact I included all these when I was applying even certificates of presentations and participations in academic conferences in Nigeria.

One of the hurdles in securing a thesis admission is getting a supervisor. That can be very frustrating as I went through the same too. So my advice here is draft a very unique proposal. Not just the normal template we see around. Be creative an instance when I was writing mine I wrote something likes “Sir I read your publications titled database blab blab la bla. While it is educative and interesting if adopted in today’s world of computing, I would like to specifically state that combining your methodology with so so so approach could create a more efficient database system…..I made logical suggestions to one of his works while indirectly critiquing others hahahaha try this with a naija professor at your peril hahahahaha. So write a catchy proposal. Because even if you have a first class, and you can’t get a supervisor, you won’t be admitted. Though some universities do merge student automatically the supervisor of aligning interest but most of them won’t do that.

Above all, pray for favour and goodluck because sometimes the race is not to the swift hahahahaha. Before I return my pen into basket of love, I wish you a prosperous 2016 in advance.

Thanks Bro for this wonderful thread . I got a half scholarship from my supervisor please is there any other scholarship I can apply for to make up for my tuition fees and living expenses . He offered me 10k usd per year but my tuition fees is still short of 12k usd per year plus living expenses .

The school is Lakehead University , please how good is the school in Canada ? Thanks as I anticipate your response .

1 Like

Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by peacenaija(m): 9:39pm On Dec 05, 2017
wow!!! I'm so happy I come across this thread, thanks jengbetiele for opening this thread. I'm a first class graduate in accounting and I'll like to further my education in Canada through scholarship. I've tried applying but it's not successful prolly because I don't understand the procedures well, I'll be more than glad if you can help me on this or probably guide through the whole process.. feel free to reach me on hyzichbayo@gmail.com. Thanks sir
Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by fobak203(m): 4:42pm On Dec 07, 2017
peacenaija:
wow!!! I'm so happy I come across this thread, thanks jengbetiele for opening this thread. I'm a first class graduate in accounting and I'll like to further my education in Canada through scholarship. I've tried applying but it's not successful prolly because I don't understand the procedures well, I'll be more than glad if you can help me on this or probably guide through the whole process.. feel free to reach me on hyzichbayo@gmail.com. Thanks sir

Are you doing your NYSC?

Well, I would implore you to dust your BSc project, write an article from it. You could team up with another coursemate and write one or two more.
You would ask that this is not addressing your question, but believe me, doing the same thing and expecting a different is insanity like they say.
Imagine 2 or three scholarly publications, 2 conference attendance and a first class result in a pool of 100 fresh BSc graduates. You would sure be number one

BSc First Class - maximum mark for academic excellence
Publications - Proven research ability
Conference - Motivation for continuous personal development

In life sometimes, you need to slow down to gain more speed[b]

You might also need to start thinking of picking an area of interest, stick to that line, write a good personal statement in that regard, and start reading related publications. At the end, you would be light years above your equals looking to get the same scholarship.

and it will end in praise.

5 Likes

Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by peacenaija(m): 9:05pm On Dec 07, 2017
fobak203:

Are you doing your NYSC?

Well, I would implore you to dust your BSc project, write an article from it. You could team up with another coursemate and write one or two more.
You would ask that this is not addressing your question, but believe me, doing the same thing and expecting a different is insanity like they say.
Imagine 2 or three scholarly publications, 2 conference attendance and a first class result in a pool of 100 fresh BSc graduates. You would sure be number one

BSc First Class - maximum mark for academic excellence
Publications - Proven research ability
Conference - Motivation for continuous personal development

In life sometimes, you need to slow down to gain more speed[b]

You might also need to start thinking of picking an area of interest, stick to that line, write a good personal statement in that regard, and start reading related publications. At the end, you would be light years above your equals looking to get the same scholarship.

and it will end in praise.

I'm done with Nysc. I will do as you said, I actually wrote on the effect of the implementation of TSA on deposit money banks and I already planned to publish it.. Thanks for your time
Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by Princessfa(f): 5:28am On Feb 13, 2018
Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by Neetah005: 2:47am On Jul 07, 2020
Please i need help in writing an Sop for admissions. Preferably Biochemistry.. Can anyone help me with a template or anything that could hep at all..
Thank you.
My email is nita.onyinye@gmail.com
eMidas:

I need a sample of a research proposal for a Master's degree as part of requirements for securing admission/getting the attention of a supervisor in a Canadian school.

I need a footing as to how to go about it. I need basically a template or an existing one (good or bad). Which ever way, I will make something out of it. It's actually urgent.
Kindly assist a fellow. Thanks in anticipation.

the360storm@gmail.com

Re: How To Secure A Scholarship Admission To Canadian Universities by powersquadkd: 4:10am On Jul 07, 2020

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Drama You Will See As Schools Will Resume On Monday (photos) / 2014/2015 Unilorin Postgraduate School / Why I Dropped Out Of Medical School At 500L, Ended Up As Cart Pusher –benue Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.