Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? (2790 Views)

Pls Come In And Judge This Case BTW I And My Man / I Fell Off My Mum's Back And I Am Scared My Man Could Die / The Truth About Nigerian Men And Their Foreign Wives (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by MrsOyibo(f): 10:10pm On Jun 10, 2009
I need a rant!

Bought a great MP3 player for hubby's bday. He was delighted with it and uses it almost everyday. However, a few days ago it stopped working, no idea why. My husband asked me to produce the receipt so that he could go and have it repaired. I replied, truthfully, that I had no idea where the receipt was or even if I'd kept it. Seemingly he thought I was joking because tonight he threw the MP3 player next to me and said that it was of no use to him now that it's broken and that I should just throw it in the bin or do whatever I wanted with it. This was accompanied by a mundane monologue about how someone could buy their partner an expensive birthday gift and not keep the receipt for it.
I can't tell you how shocked I was at his behaviour. Sure, maybe I should have kept the receipt but it's hardly a crime that I didn't. And losing the receipt hardly warrants him being so rude. He's behaving like a spoilt child and I think that his attitude sucks.
So ladies and gentleman, I want to know if you think that this rude attitude is a Man thing? A Nigerian Man thing? Or is just specific to my man?

1 Like

Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by dalaman: 10:30pm On Jun 10, 2009
Mrs.Oyibo:

I need a rant!

Bought a great MP3 player for hubby's bday. He was delighted with it and uses it almost everyday. However, a few days ago it stopped working, no idea why. My husband asked me to produce the receipt so that he could go and have it repaired. I replied, truthfully, that I had no idea where the receipt was or even if I'd kept it. Seemingly he thought I was joking because tonight he threw the MP3 player next to me and said that it was of no use to him now that it's broken and that I should just throw it in the bin or do whatever I wanted with it. This was accompanied by a mundane monologue about how someone could buy their partner an expensive birthday gift and not keep the receipt for it.
I can't tell you how shocked I was at his behaviour. Sure, maybe I should have kept the receipt but it's hardly a crime that I didn't. And losing the receipt hardly warrants him being so rude. He's behaving like a spoilt child and I think that his attitude sucks.
So ladies and gentleman, I want to know if you think that this rude attitude is a Man thing? A Nigerian Man thing? Or is just specific to my man?

Are you serious ?
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by MrsOyibo(f): 10:55pm On Jun 10, 2009
I did say that I was ranting so being serious has little to do with it really grin
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Grizzly(m): 11:15pm On Jun 10, 2009
Well rant on. It helps keep the blood pressure up.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by prittigrrr(f): 12:15am On Jun 11, 2009
@ Mrs Oyibo: why can't u just exchange it w/o the receipt or return it to the manufacturer for repair? Well, as to your guy, he is a big juvenile and no, not all Nigerian men are that way.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Nobody: 12:16am On Jun 11, 2009
yeah its a nigerian thing . . . see rant over. next?
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Epi: 3:31am On Jun 11, 2009
Classic!! grin grin grin grin
Mrs.Oyibo:

I need a rant!

Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by JustGood(m): 9:07am On Jun 11, 2009
just a question. . .

if you married a British man who acted exactly like that, would you ask if it was a British thing?
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by JJYOU: 9:30am On Jun 11, 2009
JustGood:

just a question. . .

if you married a British man who acted exactly like that, would you ask if it was a British thing?
coming from the people that gave us gordon ramsay and the other fornicating bullies. yes rant on indeed.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by JustGood(m): 9:49am On Jun 11, 2009
JJYOU:

coming from the people that gave us gordon ramsay and the other fornicating bullies. yes rant on indeed.

abi o, my brother.

I tire for all these connections with Nigeria. Anything negative has to have Nigerian connections in their minds because they know that some Nigerians will accept anything.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by amebono11: 10:11am On Jun 11, 2009
of all the things to buy for my man, its an MP3 player? sure why not, thats if the dude wont throw it inside the toilet and flush it intentionally undecided
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by JJYOU: 10:58am On Jun 11, 2009
,amebo no1:

of all the things to buy for my man, its an MP3 player? sure why not, thats if the dude wont throw it inside the toilet and flush it intentionall[/b]y undecided
may this not be recorded against you on that day. you are def something else. flush ke?
JustGood:

abi o, my brother.

I tire for all these connections with Nigeria. Anything negative has to have Nigerian connections in their minds because they know that [b]some
Nigerians will accept anything.
i no blame dem na our ugly rumours brothers i blame
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by bblacky(f): 12:04pm On Jun 11, 2009
wen one finger soils n oil it reaches d other hands, dearies its just ur man ooo, na so him understandin reach.

u sef, carry d stuff go repairam where u 4 buyam now, is no big deal jorh
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by biola44: 1:59pm On Jun 11, 2009
JustGood:

just a question. . .

good quetion! wink
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by MrsOyibo(f): 10:03pm On Jun 11, 2009
@ Just Good and Biola

If I was married to a British man I'd ask exactly the same thing cos I'm not British, he he he he! But then I'd probably ask the question Sterlingland instead of Nairaland, lol

Seriously speaking though, I didn't mean to offend anyone with my question. Actually I was prompted to pose the question in the first place because my other half frequently reminds me during arguments that I'm not Nigerian and that I should make more effort to understand his culture. So you see, I'm not discriminating here! Was just trying to figure if indeed it was a culture thing, a man thing or him just being a bit silly!
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by bawomolo(m): 10:09pm On Jun 11, 2009
did he start the name calling before or during the marriage?
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Gabry(f): 6:54am On Jun 12, 2009
Mrs.Oyibo:

I need a rant!

Poster, why are u jumping into conclusion?

There happen to be a few times where I feel like killing my bf cause at times he is quite rude but the thing is that when I brought the subject up  telling him in a nice way behind close doors where its just me and him, he would open his eyes and he would get shock and he would tell me that he did not realize that he was being rude and that he is sorry. The next time he wont do it again.  He does the same thing towards me.

My question is did you tell him that he was being rude? I think its just that he really loves the MP3 player you bought for him and its kinda frustrating when it does not work well anymore so its that temporary insanity and tantrums which he is having at the moment but deep within him, he did not meant to behave as such. I know very well cause I use to behave like him when I was a teenager.  embarassed  lipsrsealed and my mom had to tell me off to my face that I was being rude and selfish. (So since Im not a Nigerian, Im Asian and I use to behave like your Husband, therefore the answer is NO, not all Nigerian men behaves as such. People vary when it comes to behaviour wise.)

I suggest you cool it and wait till he cools it and tell him in a nice way that you dont really like the way he is behaving towards you.

See what will he say after that. In a relationship, when u are not happy with your partner, its always not good to not express what is in you. And its not good to keep it all to yourself. THe other person does not have 6 sense and so do you so u both have to come clean with each other.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by izeek(m): 12:52pm On Jun 12, 2009
well truthfuly ushud have kept the reciept,
but that doesnt give your hubby any reason to disrespect a gift u got him.
if its bad, then look for ways to fix or something. simple.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Fhemmmy: 1:46pm On Jun 12, 2009
That is not nice of him, and by the way, not all men, and neither is it all Nigerian men, i think it is your man and some bunch like him.
It is an individual thing
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by jaybee3(m): 1:50pm On Jun 12, 2009
MP3's aren't on the expensive side so buy your spoilt baby another one.

1 Like

Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Fhemmmy: 1:54pm On Jun 12, 2009
jay bee:

MP3's aren't on the expensive side so buy your spoilt baby another one.

I dont think he should buy him another one cos
1. A real man should not act that way.
2. Whining over a toy is ridiculous.
3. The man has no idea what gift means.
4. The man is not appreciative at all and dont deserves anything.
Next time, she should just buy the guy a cake and let him eat and be happy.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by tboy1(m): 2:02pm On Jun 12, 2009
Mrs.Oyibo:

I need a rant!

If its ipod, you dont need a receipt - just walk into the apple store and they will either fix it or give you a new one so far its under the one year manufacturer's warranty
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Fhemmmy: 2:43pm On Jun 12, 2009
tboy1:

If its ipod, you dont need a receipt - just walk into the apple store and they will either fix it or give you a new one so far its under the one year manufacturer's warranty

It it was that easy, anyone could steal anyone's IPOD and take it there for a fix if not working.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by tboy1(m): 3:20pm On Jun 12, 2009
Fhemmmy:

It it was that easy, anyone could steal anyone's IPOD and take it there for a fix if not working.
I did it, called them up and gave them the serial number, you'll verify ur name.if they can fix it, they will. if not they'll send u a new one. You cant know the owner of the ipod if its stolen
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Fhemmmy: 3:28pm On Jun 12, 2009
tboy1:

I did it, called them up and gave them the serial number, you'll verify ur name.if they can fix it, they will. if not they'll send u a new one. You cant know the owner of the ipod if its stolen

Now you are talking, cos the serial number is attached to the purchase.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jun 12, 2009
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by Leilah(f): 5:52pm On Jun 12, 2009
Ha ha! my husband is the same! God forgid I EVER lost the receipt off anything! they are just being sensible and its only proper practice that we keep reciepts off expensive items in partcular (in an ideal world!) well my mother is like that too. But yeah if I lost a receipt the Lion would get me. grin
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by mrsb(f): 1:01am On Jun 19, 2009
He's being a big baby. Fix it or replace it or whatever and I'm sure he'll be very sheepish about it. grin
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by davidif: 6:19am On Jun 19, 2009

He he he, you are beginning to find out our ways ha ha ha. Some men are like that, especially the mundane thing, they kind of murmur it under there breath ( i know a some adults like that) and trust me it is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo incredibly childish and VERY ANNOYING.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by JustGood(m): 8:39am On Jun 19, 2009
that "mundane monlogue" might be better than the "killer silence treatement" in which a man just says nothing irrespective of what he thinks his wife has done wrong. That, to me, is worse than the one who complains. At least, he communicates with you enough to moan.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by apijeje: 11:12am On Jun 19, 2009
let him know that such an attitude is not right. dont buy him another one. but, anoda u buy anything, let him keep the receipt, so we can know who is the most responsible between u too,
and tell him too not to give u the excuse to accuse nigerians wrongly.
Re: All Men? Just Nigerian Men? Or Just My Man? by tpiah: 3:19pm On Jun 21, 2009
@ topic

who knows.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Will Kill Myself, End It All. / How To Startup a P.O.S Business that will make you Money every single day! / What Is This Called (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.