Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,727 members, 7,805,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:38 AM

What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? (15252 Views)

FG To Make Hostel Accommodation In Universities Compulsory / Soldiers Flog Abuja University Students Out Of Hostel / Lodge In Your Complaint Here About The Unilag Hostel Accommodation Application (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by No2Atheism(m): 11:15am On Jun 11, 2009
The truth is that at one stage or another, some of us would have had to experience living away from home or those familiar to us when we were students. This experiences come in different forms either in a private accommodation or official accommodation or accommodation with a relative. Some experiences are good, others are bad. Hence since this thread seeks to focus mainly on our official accommodation experiences as a students in either:

- Hostel Accommodation in Primary School.
- Hostel Accommodation in Secondary School/High-School.
- Hostel Accommodation in College/University/Postgraduate College

it would therefore be good and welcomed for individuals that have any experiences to share to please go on and share them.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by No2Atheism(m): 11:37am On Jun 11, 2009
In summary, my own experiences are:

Stage 1: Senior Secondary School (SS2 - SS3) in International Secondary School Ifako Lagos

Experience: Very good experience, taught me how to live life indepently for the first-time in a mixed environment considering that i had earlier attended an all male-school (Loyola College Ibadan) during my early Junior/SS1 secondary school years (when i did not live in an hostel). This experience also taught me how to study and learn to be on my own away from my hometown in an hostel accommodation. The hostel accommodation was quite average and substandard to be frank, nevertheless i still enjoyed it cus it gave me my first taste of individual freedom and teenage student life to a restricted degree. Funny enough i was involved in a little bit of student protest in the hostel during my time.

----------------------------------

Stage 2: University Undergraduate years in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.

Experience:  Grew up fast in a tough academic/social/student unionism environment and had the best fun of my life so far socially, sport wise and others. Although the accommodation quality varied from below-average to horrible within the period, nevertheless it was an enjoyable and unforgettable experience. Even Seun Osewa and I, had cause to stay and live in the same room at one stage in time. DayoKanu was a lovaeable madman then and still is a love-able madman till now.

-----------------------------------

Stage 3: University postgraduate years in University of Manchester, UK still in progress.

Experience: I love the comfort and solitude of the current university environment so far. Nevertheless the social live here does not appeal to me in any way or form, considering that I am not a drinker grin, I am not a smoker  grin and[i] I am not a womaniser[/i]  grin. Nevertheless i still love the current experience sha. And hope it continues to be so. Other than the comfort of this my postgraduate accommodation, I would still consider my undergraduate days as my most enjoyable experience in an Hostel accommodation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Ubiero(f): 12:30pm On Jun 11, 2009
Chei,for my sec sch eh,we hear wen.Senior use our eye see pepper.No vex, the name of my sec sch is Command Secondary School,Ipaja,Lagos.
Now i can live very conveniently and comfortably on my own,thks to the training i got from my sec sch.Infact,i am very independent.Presently,i'm in the university and i must say that i don't travel home every two seconds,I know how to endure no matter what.When my friends are going home and i ask them why,they give me silly excuses like:
i'm missing my mum
i'm missing my younger ones
i'm missing daddy
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 11, 2009
UNIVERSITY: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY
That was the first time I left my parents to live in the hostel. Hmmmmnnnn, I lived in Awo hall all my undegraduate live and I really enjoyed it.
It was an egalitarian environment. Nobody was above another. Nobody cared who you were. No big boy, no small boy. Despite the fact that the hall had over 350 rooms, almost all of us knew one another, especially for those not living in annexe. You can easily pick an Awo boy from among the crowd in academics. Awo boys were hardly gentle. The debates in TV room, the arguments in hostels, the aro reverberating from different angles, the ewa.zobot.day, the maximum shishi, the frequent fights with other halls of residence, the Awo cafe reading and other fun events/places.

In my final year I was officially given another hall, Faj, but I had to sell it and go and buy a room in Awo hall. I was so attached to the hall.

I had to write an article about the hall when I finished University, and published in The Nation newspaper: http://www.ask.com/bar?q=the+world+of+awo+hall&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=0&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenationonlineng.com%2Fdynamicpage.asp%3Fid%3D40464

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by kalmebad(f): 12:58pm On Jun 11, 2009
Stage 1. Girls secondary school Ezeoke Nsu

First time i was to get independent from home, was fun leaving home, one of the most exciting moment of life, but then boarding has it challenges

Here your time is regulated, time to wake up, time to do your morning duty, to eat and go for morning assembly. this is unlike home, where u are the Lord and Master of your own time.

Do I talk abt the seniors?? who are bullies, hell, No, as they almost made life very impossible that i almost ran home to mama.

They make you fetch water, carry their plates to dinning hall, wash and keep it away for next meal,run errands of different stuffs,. God have mercy if they come back after Jnr light out and u are still awake, they make u seat on the air, kneel and close ur eyes. walahi, that liberation no too easy oo but alas it prepares u for the challenges of 2moro.

Did i also told you how i look 4ward to mama's food every visiting days, waiting for the gatemen to come announcing I have a visitor, Mama spoilt me with food, that I forgot what i went for till I had myself writing S.S.C.E a second time but in all thank God I never engage in the activities of LESBIANISM then, otherwise every other life was g8 in it's own tune.

STAGE 11  ABIA STATE UNIVERSITY

You know the joy of writing JAMB  and scaling tru the cut off Point/Mark.
Hmmmmmmmmm this place is never a bed of roses but then more fun than life at the other side. here u are in-charge of your life, time and all that,  but have only the lecturers to contend with, Can I ever forget the victimization of Uzo Nwokewhite? Thank God for the gift of wisdom and diplomatic.

Life here I will not be in a hurry to forget, found my first love here and gave up to all those mama's advice of don't near a man, you will get preg, U know all those stuffs naaa, I was the one to watch my back

There was never a dull moment, every bit  of life here was worth while, though with its challenges, there is nothing like freedom I always told myself then.

Those days has come and gone, now we face realities. sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by iice(f): 1:21pm On Jun 11, 2009
I was thrilled to go to boarding school.  Didn't understand why people were crying when i got to the compound.  My dorm was one of those that had six rooms in the building, so four people per room.  I was in that dorm till about ss5 when some dolt changed the arrangement and sent me to the dorm that is just open with no room.  Just a big room with all the bunks on display.  I tried staying in the dorm for a month but it wasn't for me.  .  .packed my stuff to my friend's dorm until they hand to change my dorm and i was sent to another dorm which was exactly like my first dorm, only it had a storage room, a toilet and a shower room.  Secondary school was fun, i pretty much had it easy even when a lot of people were gunning for me cheesy.  I usually always did things my way.  In terms of work, independence, studying.  .  .it wasn't different from home.  .  .but when it came to somethings, oh yeah school made me detest dirty toilets grin

PS I went to an all girls school thankfully down the road was our brother school where my brothers were. . .that school is notorious and so much fun! cheesy They always appeared in our school to cause wahala cheesy
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by MrInfo1(m): 1:37pm On Jun 11, 2009
Ubiero:

Chei,for my sec sch eh,we hear wen.Senior use our eye see pepper.No vex, the name of my sec sch is Command Secondary School,Ipaja,Lagos.
Now i can live very conveniently and comfortably on my own,thks to the training i got from my sec sch.Infact,i am very independent.Presently,i'm in the university and i must say that i don't travel home every two seconds,I know how to endure no matter what.When my friends are going home and i ask them why,they give me silly excuses like:
i'm missing my mum
i'm missing my younger ones
i'm missing daddy

kiss kiss kiss For shizzle, wch set did u escape wit? i was also a student of command ipaja and i can tell wot we went thur grin omo na true tu face talk o, no be small thing grin

@ Topic

av posted this before here and on facebook, dunno if it's ok to drop it like it hot again on this NEW thread undecided anyways here's my experience . enjoy: My TRAVAIL AS A JUNIOR STUDENT in command ipaja

Oh God! Not that bell again.
Don't tell me it's another day.
I rushed off my bed forgetting
to Pray.
At the bore hole;
The water was always dripping,
Gosh! How will I take my bath today?
Finally I secured a bucket to fetch Water.
A senior came and took it.
By the time i finally rinsed my Body,
It was time for the ultimate food,
Sneaking through the stairs,
I tried to avoid my morning work.
The dread dormitory captain
Caught me in the act
Some strokes were all it cost me
to charge my bearing.
Getting to my dormitory my
Uniforms were not ironed,
Wearing them like that,
I broke the school record rushing
To the dining hall
Like a rocket, I made it there
Only to hear the final; Amen!!
Oh no! Food over? I've missed
the Show.
Back to the hostel to "soak"
A senior appeared from nowhere
Phram! He "launched" my milk.
Sugar, cornflakes and beverage.
All went down the drain - his Belly.
Thief, I silently cursed him under
My breath
The dreadful Oliver Twist always
Asking for more.
I finally escaped only to meet
"House captain" (1)
Fetch me a bucket of water, he
Ordered
My uniform and socks paid dearly
For this.
Finally getting to class later
I met "RSM" (2)
And he ordered me to frog jump
Throughout classes, I was
Mopping
A girl smiled at me
At last a respite back,
What's so funny? The teacher
Asked me
My buttocks were worse off for
It.
At last classes over!
I made it to the dining hall in
Record time this time
Thank God, prayers! I served
Them "Nicely" (3)
I was about to descend on
my Food
When a prefect came calling
I'd been reported for
"striking" (4)
I missed my meal again
Siesta was too Short
Afternoon prep was nightmarish
I was in the hall for food
Thirty minutes before the bell
They called me.
Two minutes to prayer, I went to
Relieve my self
Coming back to the hall
There had been a "Lionning" (5)
On my table
And I'd been massacred
I dozed throughout night prep
Getting back to the dormitory
My mattress has been
"Suaved" (6)
No not again!, not again!!.
I had only my spring to sleep on
"Gbagan! Gbagan!! Gbagan!!!"
(Morning bell)
No, don't tell me its another day. . .

Dedicated to all students of Command Ipaja-Lagos

Note
1. "House captain" - A prefect to captain
The house and dreadful senior.
2. "Rsm" - Residential Sergent Major
3. "Nicely" - Unfairly
4. "Stricking" - Cheating in the dining hall
5. "Lionning" - Rush for food
6. "Suaved" - Stolen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by DeepSoul(f): 1:40pm On Jun 11, 2009
Never had the opportunity of being in a hostel  sad

No thanks to my father who always wanted to be looking at my face!

But in my final year in the University, I sha rebelled and moved to school!

(Un)fortunately, I didnt get to move into a hostel. I lived off camp. I doubt the experience is the same

But from what I sha saw from the hostels sha, it wasnt pretty oh! Especially d toilets! oooh smelly  shocked
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by iice(f): 1:50pm On Jun 11, 2009
Deep Soul:

But from what I sha saw from the hostels sha, it wasnt pretty oh! Especially d toilets! oooh smelly  shocked

You wan try? cheesy Overflowing. . .i remember we had this building for showering - meant for jss1 to jss5. Seniors were the only ones allowed to bathe outside. And the building will be full of crap, how we manage to bathe in it, i have no idea. . .bombs all over the place. I had enough in my fourth year and started bathing outside or in any dorm that had a shower room. I have been traumatized by dirty toilets grin
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by bee22(f): 2:03pm On Jun 11, 2009
Secondary School, Fun,was great to be free and independent,the only hassles came from Seniors sending u on stupid errands and unsightly toilets.Visiting days and socials were always something to look 4ward to.

UniLag, Hostel accommodation is pretty much what u make of it.Stayed in almost all the halls in that school sef but the bestest u can get is a BQ or someplace near school but offcampus and in that case,its pretty much like living alone --- oh and peeps would always use style to crash at ur place.They'll go like "aww and its too late for me to strat going home",where they sleeping when it started get dark ni?
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Hauwa1: 2:34pm On Jun 11, 2009
first and only year at UI na soso 'can i, can i' full am. you cook egusi, them go finish am, you cook ogbono, them go finish am, stew o, them go finish am. the can i was just too much, phew!
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by biola44: 3:02pm On Jun 11, 2009
cool
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by kokoye(m): 3:34pm On Jun 11, 2009
My first time outta the house was in uni. A few days after I had settled down, some 2nd yr boys put a senior porter in a locker and kept him there for hours - all because he was doing his rounds and realised some girl was in the hostel late in the night. it was both funny and scary to me. Anyway, those guys got expelled the very next day.

A few days later I met this elderly girl who really liked me and told me outright - I was kinda curious: a 16yr old ibadan mummy's boy, free from his parents for the first time in his life and some girl is already toasting him and asking for a kiss. what is wrong with all this lagos girl sef . . sebi it is boys that is supposed to toast a girl anyway sha, I agreed wink and we started dating. She would coem to my room and we'd do whatsnots till it was time for her to go - I always made the move for her to leave.

So, on this day, she decided she was not going to leave - she wanted to spend the night we me! Me ke, a small jambito who had just recently seen some guys expelled for a similar thing. Anway sha we dragged back n forth, she called me omo mummy and i did not care - i wasnt going to get expelled for for stuff we'd been doin all day anyway and was tired grin. I made a move like i was goin to report her to the senior porter and that was when she finally decided to leave the room.

The next day my name was posted all over her hostel that I was a slacker - the thing pain me no be small cos my friends (most of whom were virgins anyway) started making fun of me and blamed it on my Ibadan orientation.

I did not talk to the girl for almost a yr. Still funny now when i think about it.
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by manoy(m): 4:02pm On Jun 11, 2009
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by archbishop(m): 4:13pm On Jun 11, 2009
My experience was @ YabaTech,Lagos. I stayed in Holywood Hostel and bakassi hostel, it was a great experience. I lagos u have to have a lot of people in the hostels because to get accomodation outside school is expensive and there is no accomadation for the whole of Lagos talkless for students.
I fun because u can do whatever you like in Hostels especially cooking (beans) and the ladies. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Yaba the great hostel life sweet ooooooooooooooooooooooo.

grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by mbulela: 4:20pm On Jun 11, 2009
kokoye, nas you take spoil abi??
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by kokoye(m): 4:28pm On Jun 11, 2009
mbulela:

kokoye, nas you take spoil abi??

How you take know??  I became a one man army in school cos of that o. 

Thank God say man don settle down now sha.
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by showbobo(m): 5:06pm On Jun 11, 2009
awww, Having a Nostalgia. . . . . Good ol days cheesy
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by dominictj(m): 5:28pm On Jun 11, 2009
Posted by: *Hauwa*
Insert Quote
Re, first and only year at UI na soso 'can i, can i' full am. you cook egusi, them go finish am, you cook ogbono, them go finish am, stew o, them go finish am. the can i was just too.

Which UI u dey talk about coz Uni-Ilorin safe de claim UI
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by FerrariGP: 6:11pm On Jun 11, 2009
UNIVERISTY OF LAGOS, JAJA HALL
it was a wonderful experience, the best stage of my life, spent 4 yrs in different room in the same hall, the facilities can sometimes be downright inhumane, but then we were young and could rough all sorts of conditions,
the social life was the bomb, still have loads of fond memories of my days in the hostel,
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Omolola1(f): 6:21pm On Jun 11, 2009
never really had an opportunity of staying in an hostel, coz am daddy's girl, (the only female) so ma dad didn;'t even want me to leave his sight.

Even now that am in LASU, am going from home but i know he would still reconsider cool
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by ukukaegbu(m): 6:33pm On Jun 11, 2009
University of Nigeria Enugu Campus (UNEC). 1st yr and 2nd yr =Mbonu Ojike Hostel, 3rd yrand 4th yr = Ojukwu Hostel [/b] My first day on campus, my friend called me and advised me not to listen to ''his friends'' that may come to ''toast'' me very soon. He gave me the advice cos he likes me and would want me to face my studies squarely.

Can't forget the matric day. The visitors had to drop small money for the boys in front of GH hostel before they are allowed to carry the food and drinks inside.

The toilet?  We use it immediately after it's cleaned every morning and in the night we use the best toilet in the world: THE BUSH.

What of the various bonfires and other shows on campus? Infact, if given another opportunity, Ill still prefer to stay in the hostel because that's where everything happens!
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by ukukaegbu(m): 6:36pm On Jun 11, 2009
So much to share. Don't know where to start.
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by SUKKIE(m): 7:13pm On Jun 11, 2009
UNIVERSITY OF LAGOS

I had a swell time in my uni days as well. Year 1 Enjoku hall,year 2 and 3  I switched gears to Jaja room A206 pricesly,shit!I  remember dem days,party all night from 11:45 to Green Lion n all dat. I remember Iya Calabar ,her rice was finger-licking, right across the hostel,we could only patronize her  at night cos if any babe see u there,ur job don knock be dat.Year 4 moved over to Bq,Ozolua  to be  precise,gbogbo boy. We had the school on our fingers tips then,however G.P.A was a major concern.Hence,fellowship straight up to BLW,every wednesdays main auditorium still we couldnt get our eyes off dem ladies in fellowship.May God forgive.At the end of the day,graduated without an extra  yr with a pretty decent grade.

POSTGRADUATE

BIRMINGHAM

I got an accommodation in the uni,but I was out a couple of weeks after,rented a house with  a couple of my men.This time around,I warned myself no messing about.Still, same shit everyday,with a lot focus thou. Graduated recently, now just letting the good tyme roll.The hard work is all done.Just  praying  for favour from Baba now.
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Sauron1: 7:15pm On Jun 11, 2009
No2Atheism:

----------------------------------

Stage 2: University Undergraduate years in Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife.

Experience:  Grew up fast in a tough academic/social/student unionism environment and had the best fun of my life so far socially, sport wise and others. Although the accommodation quality varied from below-average to horrible within the period, nevertheless it was an enjoyable and unforgettable experience. Even Seun Osewa and I, had cause to stay and live in the same room at one stage in time. DayoKanu was a lovaeable madman then and still is a love-able madman till now.

-----------------------------------

Were u an AWO boy too?
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by sosisi(f): 7:17pm On Jun 11, 2009
First day in boarding  house
just 10 1/2 years old
FGGC somewhere
I cried my eyes out as I watched my father's white 504 leave the premises.
then at night,I cried all through out.
I missed my younger brother so much.
We had just returned from the village and my brother who was just 6 had given me a bag of shelled palm kennels which we both enjoyed.
I took some to school with me and as I ate the palm kennels,I thought about him and cried so much.
I couldn't wait for the mid break to see his lovely face.
He's now married with children but I still remember the tears in his  beautiful eyes as he waved his big sister goodbye cry cry cry cry
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Joey82(m): 7:37pm On Jun 11, 2009
Didn't stay @ d dorm til university days, it was real fun, especially d independence, just that i was always unlucky to have snoring room mates. grin.
it was worst in my year 3 when a room mate would start snoring even b/4 he falls asleep.
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by courage89(m): 7:52pm On Jun 11, 2009
High School borders night (a day before vacation) Shelling, JSS1 vs JSS2, JSS3 vs SS1, SS2 vs SS3, everything goes. Who can ever forget those days,
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by Redman44(m): 8:00pm On Jun 11, 2009
This is a nice thread. So where do I start from? Okay, here we go:

Tunwase Nursery and Primary School, Ikeja, Lagos: For some funny reason, my parents decided to place me in the boarding house immediately I started schooling. Tunwase had a boarding house back in the early 8o's. Dunno if the school still operates the boarding house system. One of my brothers joined me there, though he came in when he started Primary 1. I remember the house mistress that loved beating us as young as we were. I remember one of my Aunts, Aunty Ope bringing Provisions for me every 2 weeks. I used to wet my bed then and I was also very withdrawn from the other children. I loved playing by myself. This led to many of my seniors [ Primary 4 and 5 pupils ] thinking I was a wizard. There was one day they sorrounded me and started calling me an Ogbanje. The incident caused a lot of problems for me and I was placed under close observation by the authorities. However, a new headmaster came and after observing me for a day, he took me to his office and started giving me books to read during the break periods.He developed my intellect in a great way and he gave me meals which made my mates envious of me. His name was Mr Caulcrick. Anyway, I later left Tunwase and attended Flora Nursery and Primary School as a day student. Tunwase'e boarding house system was good and we were well fed and taken care of.

Ijebu-Ode Grammar School, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State: Hmn, my adventures in the boarding house at JOGS was wonderful. I can't forget those days. I was a member of Odumosu House. Odumosu House always won the Inter-House Sports festivals and we had chips on our shoulders as a result of that. I remember the Gari, sugar and groundnut meals [ Garium Sulphate ]. I remember how boys scaled the fence at night to buy Moimoi on Ibadan Road. The moimoi was so sweet that some guys turned it into a business. They would head to Ibadan Road with  big bags and come back with loads of moimoi packs. How they scaled the fence of the school with those heavy bags still beats my imagination shocked shocked They would then proceed to sell the moimoi to us at outrageous prices We still bought the sweet stuff though cry cry I remember how the seniors used us like slaves. You would be given 50 kobo [ yes o, this was before IBB changed the currency ] to buy snacks and the wicked seniors would expect you to come back with snacks worth 2 Naira. God help you if you dont come back with the extra snacks.

There was also this culture of boarders night at JOGS. It was an event which was held on the night of the last day of every term. Boarders Night was always a night of mischief, pranks and utter wickedness angry angry No one was spared!! As soon as the light outs was announced and the bulbs and flourescent lights were switched off, the madness would commence. This was the night when juniors settled old scores with seniors and their housemates. Many students got injured and some fatal incidents happened. Aluminium buckets and shoes would be converted into missles and they would be thrown at you by students. If you made the mistake of falling asleep, woe would descend on you. You would either get whipped by unseen students or drenched with soapy water or water from the gutters. Students urinated on each other and painted those who slept with poster colour and tooth paste. Some habitual deep sleepers would be carried into the toilets or the open fields and left there till morning. Some students left their Houses to settle scores in other houses. I saw students who would go to sleep in the classrooms so as to avoid the war going on in the hostels. I was told the authorities knew about the Boarders Night but they saw it as a tradition of the school. JOGS was a boys only school.

I also remember how the Kitchen store was raided one night and lots of foodstuff was stolen. Then I cant forget the locker smashers who would break your locker during school hours and steal your provisions. They were hardly caught and operated like spirits. They were fellow students, though. So much to say about my secondary school hostel experience.

University of Ibadan: I was a Zikite as an undergraduate at UI. Zikites were residents of the great Nnamdi Azikiwe Hall. The hall was viewed as a Notorious place by the school authorities. The hall developed my independent spirit. Zikites lived like brothers and I never starved while living in the Hall. You never walked alone as a Zikite. All you had to do was to enter a room and tell the guys there that you were hungry. The worst you can get from them is a plate of beans and a cup of garri. We were also full of mischief as residents of Zik Hall. Most of the girls on campus dreaded the hall because of the taunts they received whenever they passed through the hall to Idia, Indy and Awo Halls. Zik Hall made me very vocal. You can't be a Zikite and be quiet. There was always an issue to talk and shout about. Zikites also led most of the demonstrations on campus. I recall how we used to head to the maintenance department to beat up the technicians when ever power was switched off and we wanted to cook our beans. Can't forget those days, men. We were sometimes a law unto ourselves in Zik Hall. We had our own traditions and culture which were strictly observed. I remember the ewa nights and carnivals with Zikites masquerading into all sorts of things. Thats enough for now. Would come back to say more. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by No2Atheism(m): 8:01pm On Jun 11, 2009
~Sauron~:

Were u an AWO boy too?

Me kee Awo lai lai , tofiakwa.

Dem give me jambite bungalow for Awo sef, i give am away/sell am (i know even remember sef.)

Awo is too rough for urs truly.

Faj Hall for life, we are the gentle but deadly ones. We are the ones that those in Moremi always run to.
We are the ones with numerous female sleep-overs.
We are the ones with less beans, less noise and more quality grin grin grin grin
Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by congoshine(m): 8:33pm On Jun 11, 2009
No2Atheism:

In summary,
Stage 3: University postgraduate years in University of Manchester, UK still in progress.

Experience: Nevertheless the social live here does not appeal to me in any way or form, considering that I am not a drinker grin, I am not a smoker grin and[i] I am not a womaniser[/i]  grin.

You must be a self-servicer then undecided

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Experiences Of Hostel Accommodation/life? by mystikal(m): 9:08pm On Jun 11, 2009
Hostel experiences in a typical Nigerian Secondary School is just a separate thing from Uni Hostel Experience.

My boarding experience in FGC Ikot Ekpene was truly cruel but amazing. makes a memorable chapter in my amazing life so far!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What?? UNILORIN Expels 108 Students For Admission Runs / Can SLT Student Do Direct Entry To Medicine & Surgery / 45 Nigerians Bag Uk’s Chevening Scholarships

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.