Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,415 members, 7,808,481 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:36 PM

The Rituals Of Christianity - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Rituals Of Christianity (21962 Views)

Do Money Rituals Actually Work? / Which Hymn Or Song Represents The True Essence Of Christianity / Did Allah Help The Spread Of Christianity? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 4:23am On Dec 28, 2015
This ish has been on my mind for a while, are we christians subconsciously engaging in ritualistic worship?

Orthodox Christians: This perhaps is the most controvertial yet documented. Recitation of prayers, processions, methodical worship to name a few.

Protestant Christians:Its more dramatic here. Its become a fad for us to add prefixes and suffixes to our prayers as we believe they add more vent and speed to the prsyers. Phrases like "holy ghost fire!", "amen......fire!", calling Jesus three times, Amen 7 times, halleluyah 7 times, etc. Are these really biblical?

What does the bible say: Jesus says in Matthew 6: 7-8 , we shouldnt engage in vain repetitive prayers for our father in heaven knows what we want already even before we ask. {paraphrased} .
Bible scholars pls come in and shed more light. Thanks

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by delkuf(m): 4:27am On Dec 28, 2015
guy u are on point with ur write up, but y did u put those pics. it doesn't relate to what u are saying

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 4:31am On Dec 28, 2015
delkuf:
guy u are on point with ur write up, but y did u put those pics. it doesn't relate to what u are saying
The pics portrays the two major Christian dominations : a Catholic procession and a protestant prayer. Those are the closest I could get without being offensive to any denomination.

16 Likes

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by delkuf(m): 4:37am On Dec 28, 2015
ok
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by libertyfather(m): 5:09am On Dec 28, 2015
to my understanding, GOD is a special one no matter all what We do thee has thy own way, no one can comprehend... cool #OSEBABA

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Goshen360(m): 5:13am On Dec 28, 2015
O ya pe oruko Jesu l'emeta, ina emi mimo l'emeje, ara orun o....as if the church is a shrine.... grin grin grin. How did we get to this point in the "Nigeria kind' of churchianity?

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 5:48am On Dec 28, 2015

Christianity is still a great experience in Nigeria, exactly as it was in the Acts of the Apostles

3 Likes

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by malvisguy212: 7:07am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:
This ish has been on my mind for a while, are we christians subconsciously engaging in ritualistic worship?

Orthodox Christians: This perhaps is the most controvertial yet documented. Recitation of prayers, processions, methodical worship to name a few.

Protestant Christians:Its more dramatic here. Its become a fad for us to add prefixes and suffixes to our prayers as we believe they add more vent and speed to the prsyers. Phrases like "holy ghost fire!", "amen......fire!", calling Jesus three times, Amen 7 times, halleluyah 7 times, etc. Are these really biblical?

What does the bible say: Jesus says in Matthew 6: 7-8 , we shouldnt engage in vain repetitive prayers for our father in heaven knows what we want already even before we ask. {paraphrased} .
the second picture, is it talking about energetic prayer ? Energetic prayer is biblical.

James 5:16,
"Confess your faults one to another,and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The EFFECTUAL FERVENT prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

The words “effectual” and “ fervent” are actually only one word in Greek. It comes from Greek word #1754,energeo, from which we get the word “energy.” It's talking about the energized prayer. The energetic prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

James gives example of one who use energetic prayer:
James 5:17
"Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he PRAYED EARNESTLY
that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months."

Luke 22:44
"...he prayed MORE EARNESTLY: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground"

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 8:47am On Dec 28, 2015
CHRISTIANITY IS LIKE EVERY OTHER RELIGION... RITUALS AND RITES MUST BE DONE, AND TO THINK THAT THEY PAINT OTHERS BLACK IS JUST SHEER HYPOCRISY.

THE RITUALS IN ORTHODOX CHURCHES ARE SO SEVERE THAT SOME EVEN QUESTION THE METHODS....

#CATHOLICS

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 10:09am On Dec 28, 2015
@malvisguy212, I thought I explained the rationale between the choice of pics earlier. Indeed fervent prayers are necessary, for the times are evil.
I pray fervently too, Ofcus it's relieving to pour your heart out to God in prayer. just like Hannah did.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 28, 2015
Goshen360:
O ya pe oruko Jesu l'emeta, ina emi mimo l'emeje, ara orun o....as if the church is a shrine.... grin grin grin. How did we get to this point in the "Nigeria kind' of churchianity?
I'm not too old though but I think these "shout Jesus 3 times ", "shout the loudest amen " ish began in this generation. I still don't understand what brought about it, we surely haven't been like the Berean Christians who searched the scriptures when this practise was introduced. We're all guilty of this.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 10:14am On Dec 28, 2015
@Freemanan, little wonder we're having 'charismatic arms' off the Catholic Church. I respect the Catholic faith though.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 28, 2015
sapiosexual1:
@Freemanan, little wonder we're having 'charismatic arms' off the Catholic Church. I respect the Catholic faith though.

I respect their ability to institutionalise religion... It is really remarkable even tho it has its shortcomings. Aside that, nothing else...

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 11:03am On Dec 28, 2015
CHRISTIANITY will always be an experience, like the apostle Paul, Cornelius, Nicodemus, Lydia, May Magdalena.

RITUALS have never been part of Christianity, and nothing but the FRAUD that Marx rightly described as opiate of the masses.

No one can be a Christian without first making a rational evaluation of the claims of Jesus, The Christ, against all other religious claims within the individual's experience.

That's how Nicodemus, Lydia, Appolos, and any other person has ever become and lived as a Christian

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 11:35am On Dec 28, 2015

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Institutions usurp liberty, create Sharia, the Inquisitions of the Catholic Church, or at least Dogmas. Non of these is of Christ, or Christianity.

Freemanan:

I respect their ability to institutionalise religion... It is really remarkable even tho it has its shortcomings. Aside that, nothing else...

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 28, 2015
@cckris, that's deep. Many of us understands that there is more to our 21st century brand of Christianity than we're permitted to know. No thanks to hidden and destroyed manuscripts by the early Popes.
Discovery of other books of the bible has began to expose the lopsided nature of the Christianity we practise.
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 11:52am On Dec 28, 2015
cckris:

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Institutions usurp liberty, create Sharia, the Inquisitions of the Catholic Church, or at least Dogmas. Non of these is of Christ, or Christianity.

You wont know or hear anything about Christianity today if Emperor Constantine never made it a state religion to keep gis empire at bay...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by malvisguy212: 1:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:
CHRISTIANITY IS LIKE EVERY OTHER RELIGION... RITUALS AND RITES MUST BE DONE, AND TO THINK THAT THEY PAINT OTHERS BLACK IS JUST SHEER HYPOCRISY.

THE RITUALS IN ORTHODOX CHURCHES ARE SO SEVERE THAT SOME EVEN QUESTION THE METHODS....

#CATHOLICS
Christianity is not even a religion,many churches have miss the point, Do you really believe that God favors your denomination over others? Quite the contrary, if your denomination professes to be “the only true way”, I can pretty well guarantee that it isn’t! Do you think that God’s intention was to have thousands of different denominations of His Church? They can’t all be right, and more than likely they’re all wrong.

Many reference in the old testament and Jesus statement indicate to us, God hate religion.

Isaiah 1:13-14 states, “Bring no more
vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons
and Sabbaths, the calling of assemblie.
it is iniquity…Your new moons and your
appointed feasts my soul hateth: they
are a trouble unto me; I am weary to
bear them.”

David prays to God in Psalm 40:6,
“Sacrifice and offering thou didst not
desire;…Burnt offering and sin offering
hast thou not required.”

Amos 5:21 says, “I hate, I despise your
feast days, and I will not smell (the odors of their sacrifices) in your solemn
assemblies.”

You see, the Israelites (Jews) of the Old
Testament had forgotten the relationship with God and became dependent upon the religious system of works and sacrifice and offerings expecting spiritual redemption or to appease God. But in these passages we see God Himself saying, “I don’t care how you shake and dance, I’m not interested in your religious activities, I want your heart.” In fact that is exactly what He expresses here in Isaiah 29:13, “ Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me …”(Jesus quoted this passage in Matt. 15:8-9 adding “…in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men .”)

8 Likes

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
Christianity is not even a religion,many churches have miss the point, Do you really believe that God favors your denomination over others? Quite the contrary, if your denomination professes to be “the only true way”, I can pretty well guarantee that it isn’t! Do you think that God’s intention was to have thousands of different denominations of His Church? They can’t all be right, and more than likely they’re all wrong.

Many reference in the old testament and Jesus statement indicate to us, God hate religion.

Isaiah 1:13-14 states, “Bring no more
vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons
and Sabbaths, the calling of assemblie.
it is iniquity…Your new moons and your
appointed feasts my soul hateth: they
are a trouble unto me; I am weary to
bear them.”

David prays to God in Psalm 40:6,
“Sacrifice and offering thou didst not
desire;…Burnt offering and sin offering
hast thou not required.”

Amos 5:21 says, “I hate, I despise your
feast days, and I will not smell (the odors of their sacrifices) in your solemn
assemblies.”

You see, the Israelites (Jews) of the Old
Testament had forgotten the relationship with God and became dependent upon the religious system of works and sacrifice and offerings expecting spiritual redemption or to appease God. But in these passages we see God Himself saying, “I don’t care how you shake and dance, I’m not interested in your religious activities, I want your heart.” In fact that is exactly what He expresses here in Isaiah 29:13, “ Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor me, but have removed their heart far from me …”(Jesus quoted this passage in Matt. 15:8-9 adding “…in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men .”)

Christianity is not a religion. What is it sir?
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by malvisguy212: 2:00pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

You wont know or hear anything about Christianity today if Emperor Constantine never made it a state religion to keep gis empire at bay...
you are right in some way. The apostles never called themselves christians,The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first, why ? Because the apostles do not followed the commercials world of the pagan,the substance is NOT in the word, is in the HEART of the man that is attempting to describe, and which the pagan user cannot see. The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

3 Likes

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
you are right in some way. The apostles never called themselves christians,The pagans at Antioch called the apostles "Christians" first, why ? Because the apostles do not followed the commercials world of the pagan,the substance is NOT in the word, is in the HEART of the man that is attempting to describe, and which the pagan user cannot see. The disciples called each other, "brethren", "disciples", "apostles", "servants", "believers", "followers", "the faithful", "the elect", "the called", and "saints." We can also identify ourselves as "bondservants" of Christ.

Chief, my point is Christianity is not different from other religion.It might be painted white by its followers but it is same.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by malvisguy212: 2:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

you cannot see it because you do not belong to the kingdom of God. You can call us christian BUT we called ourselves "BRETHREN" because we belong to ONE family. When the disciples ask Jesus to teach them how to pray, Jesus begin with the word " OUR FATHER" why ? Because God is the Father to whoever is saying this prayer, why dint Jesus say "MY father"? But instead OUR FATHER, the moment you say our father, you become my brother in christ. That what Christianity is all about.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by malvisguy212: 2:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Chief, my point is Christianity is not different from other religion.It might be painted white by its followers but it is same.
alright.
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
malvisguy212:
you cannot see it because you do not belong to the kingdom of God. You can call us christian BUT we called ourselves "BRETHREN" because we belong to ONE family. When the disciples ask Jesus to teach them how to pray, Jesus begin with the word " OUR FATHER" why ? Because God is the Father to whoever is saying this prayer, why dint Jesus say "MY father"? But instead OUR FATHER, the moment you say our father, you become my brother in christ. That what Christianity is all about.

Okay BRETHREN...
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Christianity is a personal relationship with The Most High God, who like any father, cares PASSIONATELY for his children.
Christians are not servants of the God who identifies Himself as Jehovah Elohim, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the holy One of Israel.
Religion is human efforts to find God. Christianity is The Most High God reconciling mankind He created back to Himself.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 3:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

Sorry to burst your bubble sir.
Ethiopia received Christianity straight from Jerusalem. So did India, among others. Christianity cannot be spread by imperial fiat, it MUST be spread by personal CONVICTION, through persuasion. That's why the more evil people kill Christians, the faster Christianity grows, as in Northern Nigeria. Christianity is becoming grounded and rooted in Nigeria and black Africa.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 3:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
cckris:

Sorry to burst your bubble sir.
Ethiopia received Christianity straight from Jerusalem. So did India, among others. Christianity cannot be spread by imperial fiat, it MUST be spread by personal CONVICTION, through persuasion. That's why the more evil people kill Christians, the faster Christianity grows, as in Northern Nigeria. Christianity is becoming grounded and rooted in Nigeria and black Africa.

CHIEF, I AM NOT ARGUING ON THIS. IT IS A KNOWN FACT. THE SPREAD OF CHRISTIANITY WAS AS A RESULT OF MAKING IT A STATE RELIGION BY EMPEROR CONSTANTINE AND THE VARIOUS CRUSADES WHERE THE EMPERORS USE FORCE AND COLONIALISM TO SPREAD IT.

YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN TODAY BECAUSE ANY GOD WANTS YOU TO, YOU ARE BECAUSE OF THE EFFECT OF COLONIALISM AND THE DESIRES OF SOME MEN IN POWER.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by cckris: 5:58pm On Dec 28, 2015
Freemanan:

YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN TODAY BECAUSE ANY GOD WANTS YOU TO, YOU ARE BECAUSE OF THE EFFECT OF COLONIALISM AND THE DESIRES OF SOME MEN IN POWER.

I was 'baptised' as an infant, and I CHOOSE to become a Christian after graduation, and was properly BAPTIZED, that is immersed, howsoever immersion can be defined, just like David Luiz, former Chelsea defender. That's the way to go, the only True Way of Life.

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by analice107: 11:04pm On Dec 29, 2015
sapiosexual1:

@Ops
When I clicked in here what I was expecting is not what I saw.
Those things you mentioned are not Christian Rituals. I was expecting practices like
1. Water Baptism.
2. Holy Communion.
3. The Use of Anointing Oil.
4. The Use of Mantle.
5. Laying on of hands.
6.Falling under anointing.
7. Speaking in tongues
8. Fasting and prayers.
9. Feed washing.
10. Burning of Candles and incense (for catholics)
Use of Holy Water.
Praying the Rosary. Bowing to images etc. These are Christian Rituals.

These are the things I expected to see. But you brought up prayers, processions, and methodical worship(what does that even mean).

Ah, must everybody open a thread?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 9:11am On Dec 30, 2015
analice107:

@Ops
When I clicked in here what I was expecting is not what I saw.
Those things you mentioned are not Christian Rituals. I was expecting practices like
1. Water Baptism.
2. Holy Communion.
3. The Use of Anointing Oil.
4. The Use of Mantle.
5. Laying on of hands.
6.Falling under anointing.
7. Speaking in tongues
8. Fasting and prayers.
9. Feed washing.
10. Burning of Candles and incense (for catholics)
Use of Holy Water.
Praying the Rosary. Bowing to images etc. These are Christian Rituals.

These are the things I expected to see. But you brought up prayers, processions, and methodical worship(what does that even mean).

Ah, must everybody open a thread?
My brother in Christ, i hope you do understand what a ritual is in literal definition and I hop you also understand your bible. All you mentioned above except for 9 & 10 are biblical injunctions. I don't see how they constitute a ritual.
Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 10, 2016
Freemanan:

No sir, there's a whole lotta difference between Christianity and other religions. Alot

1 Like

Re: The Rituals Of Christianity by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 17, 2016
olrotimi:

No sir, there's a whole lotta difference between Christianity and other religions. Alot
seconded

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Palm Divination Here / Does Adeboye Now Believe In Canonization Of Saints? / Was The Second Stanza Of National Anthem Made For Such A Time As This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.