Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,514 members, 7,801,359 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 02:15 PM

Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight - Health (218) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight (327192 Views)

Best Food Routine For Loosing Weight? / Guys You Need Abs, Just 30 Days Daily Exercise For A Start / Jogging Sit Ups Push Ups. . .whats Your Daily Exercise Routine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (230) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 7:12am On Dec 25, 2013
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by uzoo: 6:33pm On Dec 25, 2013
dmz: @Uzoo..from your initial post you're already doing 30-40 mins of ab work daily if that's not reducing the bulge/pooch, I don't think adding more workouts will make much difference. You run the risk of overworking your abs and doing it daily means it doesn't have much time to recover. Have you tried high intensity sprints instead of steady state jogging. (I had excellent results when I switched to this type of running especially on my tommy) Do you eat till you fill your stomach walls stretch? reducing your portion size might help. Maybe your diet could be responsible. You look good. Keep it up

Thanks @dmz , actually i've been on a strict diet for a few months (oats, fruits, vegetables, and salads) up until last week , my last coke i think was in February because i've totally cut out soda drinks from my life, so for the food part its covered, i eat small portions of meals , some times i eat other peoples left overs for dinner, and sometimes i skip dinner entirely because by the end of the day i'm always tired to make dinner.And once its 8pm i dont take anything else except water I know its not food , its just weak muscles in the abdomen that need to be to tightened. ( You know that feeling you get when you take a glass of water and your tummy appears like you've eating 3 peoples dinner ...Yes , that's what happens to me).

But i'll give the high intensity sprint a try , i hope i dont feel the pain in my knees. Thanks for the Tip .

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE. smiley
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by dmz(m): 8:14pm On Dec 25, 2013
Merry Xmas house.
@Uzoo..maybe u shld look at exercises for women tht recently put to bed and looking to get back in shape, cos thr have to deal with tht loose (soft bulge) feeling around the stomach. Maybe it will be the same program with what our other colleagues suggested. All the best in achieving ur goals.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by Romeo4real(m): 12:00am On Dec 26, 2013
@Uzoo -

You are simply not doing enough resistance exercises. More than enough studies have shown that introducing resistance work to an exercise program delivers far more benefits that just simple cardio. These can be good old fashioned weights, or Plyometrics/ Calisthenics exercises.

Keep doing the ab work; as it will continue to maintain abdominal tone; however, it is unlikely to reduce your waist line any further than it has already done. Also, the abs are a relatively small muscle group, so you cannot really overwork them with too much exercise.
The ab roller is indeed great for your core, and if you can master it, delivers far more benefits than the simple plank.
Basically, your problem is not enough cardio, but not enough resistance. i.e; your muscles groups are not adding to your calorific expenditure.

Also look at your food plan; as your eating is currently not great. On the exercise program you posted, you should be eating about 4 medium meals a day - this should work out approx every 3hrs. This should be done consistently, with the meals being eaten at the same time every single day. This is important so you maintain a a specific level of blood glucose throughout the day. Skipping a meal is NOT an option; NO matter what.
These meals should consist of low glycemic carbs with a lot of raw or steamed vegetables, and lots of water (min 2-3 litres a day). Also less red meat and more fish, and preferably contain low salt, no sugar, soft drinks, sweets, chocolates or any confectioneries.

This is my suggestion to you-

- Run only 2 days week
- Formulate a weight training program for 2 days a week (light weights, high reps (15-20)
- Include a lot of leg work in your weights program - Squats, Lunges - do variations of these.
- Do a Plyometric exercise routine 2 days of the week. JM or Shaun T is ideal for this. Make sure to complete the levels.
These exercises recruits all muscles in the body; including your core muscles, whilst increasing your heart rate, thereby giving cardiovascular benefit. This is essential for any weight loss program.
- Make sure to do Burpees, Squats variations - Hack Squats, Mountain Climbers, Squat to Switch Jumps, Atlas Jumps, Jumping Squats, etc. Press-ups variation -Spiderman Press-ups, Hindu Press-ups, Scorpion Press-ups, Walking pushups, Monkey Push ups, etc
- Rest one day of the week.

You can certainly lose 3kg in a single week on this program. Do all this consistently in a consistent manner you will realise your goals.
All the best.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by dmz(m): 9:50am On Dec 26, 2013
^^^^Nice one Man. Could you please recommend calf exercises/program, have been doing standing calf press (no incline) on a smith machine and using the seated calf press machine at the gym. Not happy with my calf development though I admit I don't pay it as much attention as I should.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by Romeo4real(m): 3:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
Your calves do look in proportion to your thighs, but if you want to develop them further, a 2 pronged approach works best - bodyweight exercises, combined with calf stretches. These is the secret to developed calves. I used to do tons of calf exercises using weights; which gives you some definition, but no major growth. It wasn't until i started Muay Thai; which focuses on carrying your body weight on alternate legs, that i saw a massive increase in my calf development. Combined with stretching, my calves are far better than they used to be. Doing lots of Sqauts/Lunges will also speed up calf development.

Calf Exercise
Lift up your leg and get someone to hold it up, perpendicular to your body, or higher. Now hop on your standing leg nonstop for a min of 2-3mins. You should be hopping on your toes and your heel should NOT touch the ground. Getting the person holding your leg to move around; whilst you attempt to hop along with them also increases the work. Do 5 sets of this. This equates to only about 10mins of calf work. The longer you can do this for, the greater the burn, the more the growth.
If there is no one to help, simply put your leg on a kitchen work surface, a tall desk, shelf to or any other suitably high surface and perform the same exercise. It is not as effective, but better than nothing.

Calf Stretch
Stretch, stretch, stretch. A good calf stretch will take you nothing less than 20mins (10mins /leg). Get a large block of wood - at least H15cm x W15 x L20cm. If you can get it longer, even better. Put the block of wood against a solid object - wall, fence, pole, etc. I prefer to put it against 2 object so i can have access to the other side (i will explain why). Not incline your foot (wearing trainers) against the block and and move your other leg closer. Basically, you are attempting to stand with one foot against the block of work. This should give a good stretch along the calf and even your hamstring. Focus on tensing/relaxing the calf muscle and you should feel the muscle trying to accommodate the stretch.
Now bring your other foot to the other side of the wooden block (stepping over), with stretch leg still against the block of wood. Again this deepen the stretch. Hold stretch for min 1min, rest for 30 secs and repeat. Do this 5-10times /leg

Another good calf stretch is to kneel down on your toes - knees touching the floor, hands resting on your knees, and bottom of your feet in contact with the ground, toes bent facing forwards. Now sit back on your heels. You should feel a stretch in your Achilles tendon and calves. You can rock forwards and backwards to get a good stretch. Repeat for the same duration as above.. Do these exercises 3 times a week.

The best way to see if your calves are not tight is to going into a deep sqaut as if taking a dump.
With heels on the ground, now move your knees and feet closer together. See if you can bring your feet and knees to point directly forward (rather than splayed outwards). Your arms should be outside (not inside) your knees at this stage to help with balance.
Your feet should either be directly under your knees, with knees and feet facing an ideal straight line outwards. Your heels should never leave the floor.
This exercise/stretch requires the muscle antagonistic to the calf muscles to be used - (the shin muscle -Tibialis Anterior muscle). It is in front of your leg, running alongside your shin bone). Good development of the muscle is also necessary for good calf muscles.

This exercise stretches the calf muscle, whilst tensing the Tibialis muscle. A good stretch for Tibialis Anterior is to repeat the kneeling down stretch, but with the toes pointing backwars; instead of forwards, and bending your body backwards as well. This will stretch your thigh muscles along with the shin(Tibialis Anterior) muscle.

I hope this is all clear.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 3:51pm On Dec 26, 2013
Romeo4real: you should be eating about 4 medium meals a day - this should work out approx every 3hrs. This should be done consistently, with the meals being eaten at the same time every single day. This is important so you maintain a a specific level of blood glucose throughout the day. Skipping a meal is NOT an option; NO matter what.

All the best.

R4R I think am going to take this advice for the first time in 3 years. Digging through my early post here today, I found this there and seeing it again I think the Holy Spirit is telling me something, seriously (don't laugh o). Anyway, whatever it will cost, I need to drop from where I had always been on the scale. I am faithful with my workouts but I think my food is really bad, so ave been stagnant for as long as I could remember.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by Gigantor: 4:34pm On Dec 26, 2013
@Uzoo, this is R4R on my alternative id.
For some reason the reply i made to your calf training questions as gone amiss and it's not letting me post another one. It was quite a lengthy reply, so I'm hoping Dominique can locate it for me; as i don't really fancy writing it all out again!
And yes, certainly take the advice. A good food plan is essential to a weight loss/ maintenance program.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by dmz(m): 5:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
@R4R.. Thank you.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by uzoo: 9:11pm On Dec 26, 2013
Romeo4real: @Uzoo -

You are simply not doing enough resistance exercises. More than enough studies have shown that introducing resistance work to an exercise program delivers far more benefits that just simple cardio. These can be good old fashioned weights, or Plyometrics/ Calisthenics exercises.

Keep doing the ab work; as it will continue to maintain abdominal tone; however, it is unlikely to reduce your waist line any further than it has already done. Also, the abs are a relatively small muscle group, so you cannot really overwork them with too much exercise.
The ab roller is indeed great for your core, and if you can master it, delivers far more benefits than the simple plank.
Basically, your problem is not enough cardio, but not enough resistance. i.e; your muscles groups are not adding to your calorific expenditure.

Also look at your food plan; as your eating is currently not great. On the exercise program you posted, you should be eating about 4 medium meals a day - this should work out approx every 3hrs. This should be done consistently, with the meals being eaten at the same time every single day. This is important so you maintain a a specific level of blood glucose throughout the day. Skipping a meal is NOT an option; NO matter what.
These meals should consist of low glycemic carbs with a lot of raw or steamed vegetables, and lots of water (min 2-3 litres a day). Also less red meat and more fish, and preferably contain low salt, no sugar, soft drinks, sweets, chocolates or any confectioneries.

This is my suggestion to you-

- Run only 2 days week
- Formulate a weight training program for 2 days a week (light weights, high reps (15-20)
- Include a lot of leg work in your weights program - Squats, Lunges - do variations of these.
- Do a Plyometric exercise routine 2 days of the week. JM or Shaun T is ideal for this. Make sure to complete the levels.
These exercises recruits all muscles in the body; including your core muscles, whilst increasing your heart rate, thereby giving cardiovascular benefit. This is essential for any weight loss program.
- Make sure to do Burpees, Squats variations - Hack Squats, Mountain Climbers, Squat to Switch Jumps, Atlas Jumps, Jumping Squats, etc. Press-ups variation -Spiderman Press-ups, Hindu Press-ups, Scorpion Press-ups, Walking pushups, Monkey Push ups, etc
- Rest one day of the week.

You can certainly lose 3kg in a single week on this program. Do all this consistently in a consistent manner you will realise your goals.
All the best.

Thank you @Romeo4real Thank you so much for these advice i am starting them tomorrow morning.

@dmz thanks too .

Merry Christmas You all
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by Arialbold: 4:39am On Dec 31, 2013
Hi all,
How is the holiday season affecting you guys' exercise and food routine?
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 12:38pm On Dec 31, 2013
Arial.bold:
Hi all,
How is the holiday season affecting you guys' exercise and food routine?

Still sane
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by babs2011(f): 4:17pm On Jan 01, 2014
Happy New Year house!
Hope you've all had a good break over the festive season? I've enjoyed the break and ready to embrace the new year!

What I'm currently doing:

I have started a C25K running programme this week.
I aim to build up my runs strategically each week following this plan. By the end of 8 weeks I should be able to comfortably run a 5k run in 30 mins.
The plan is to run 3 times a week however I will still incorporate my Jillian Michael and Tae Bo dvds during the interval days and rainy weather.

In this month of January I aim to drink more water and eliminate snacking between meals (except fruit/nuts).

So what are you fitness/ health related plans or goals for this new month?
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by tjskii(f): 2:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
Hiya folks,new here and nid to shed weight sharpply,had a baby in july via c-section,since then I avnt bin abl to shed d 20smthn kg I put on(was on bedrest for bout2mnths befor delivery)now I feel I'm strong and healed enuf to start an exercise programme.

So started on d treadmill today,4.7speed for 30mins,upper arm training with d use of dumbells,as per meals,joined d fasting programme inmy church for d whole of jan,any oda suggestions wud be most welcome
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by dmz(m): 7:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
I did two reps of the Standing Ab Wheel Rollout, that stuff is badass..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tc7yKQysVQ

My fitness goals for the year:

Eat better, drink more water and green tea.
Add swimming to my exercise routine ( yet to learn how)
Have more cex (junior is not getting as much exercise as the rest of me)
Start road running (miss that flying in the wind feeling you can't get on treadmills)
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by modath(f): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
@General house,
Happy new year in arrears to each and every member of this thread. Hope we'll have a fit and fabulous 2014. been out of town since 23rd of Dec,& internet connection has been "splendid".. lipsrsealed just arrived this evening.
Will update the house tommorrow.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 4:00pm On Jan 05, 2014
Happy New Year all, I have been on a trip all in preparing for this year. I am doing well too. I have not worked out for sometimes now but doing everything to eat healthy too (trying my best). As much as I desired to do this 6 meals per day, I am not sure it is good for me, I have tried for almost a week now and all I get is bloating. Despite I am eating little at time, so... Mr R4R what advice do you have now? I even timed it, making it every 3 hours but undecided

Meal for today

BF - on the road

3pm - 2 cups white rice + 4 slices of plantain + 1 drumstick + 2 tbs stew.

D - If I am hungry I will eat, but if not good night.

(Update later)

Exercise: I have 7 more days to go in my 30-day fitness challenge, so I will continue tonight.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by modath(f): 6:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
Bump.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 8:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
modath: Bump.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee, congratulations oooo. Am so happy to hear this, what a good news in a new year. Happy/safe/fit 9 months.

With all the construction work, you never tire for mene mene? grin

1 Like

Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by agabaI23(m): 11:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Madam You will have to show us before picture which We will compare with after picture in case you decide to.eat anything that come your way because you have a bump.
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 10:42pm On Jun 30, 2014
undecided
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 9:53pm On Jul 05, 2014
Everybody stay in the vehicle grin
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by modath(f): 12:40pm On Jul 13, 2014
Bump...
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 8:33pm On Jul 19, 2014
I am not sure if I want this username hourglass3, can someone please change that for me?
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by wisdomkid: 2:49pm On Jul 22, 2014
I love staying fit and there's nothing i love much more than having abs! It looks sexy and makes me feel healthy! But what is the most convienent way of achieving this? well, i have searched and searched google.com and Nairaland.com, and the best site to checkout the best adjustable dumbbells with huge discounts is bestadjustabledumbbellsgod.com.

You can get the best adjustable dumbbells set Here. Just bought the Bowflex 552 and it's great!
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by purplish(f): 12:24am On Jul 26, 2014
Like a prodigal daughter...I'm back again sad Now, I'm never backing down #RenewedResolve

I'm working on a 12 week Walk-Jog beginner plan. This week, I've religiously done 3 reps of 4:1 Walk-Jog daily.

I know its all baby steps....but its been hard sad

1 Like

Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by HourGlass3: 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2014
Check me there my people, I may not patronize this place again. Sorry I got discouraged with the site. Hope someone revives it someday soon.

1 Like

Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by Fran6u: 9:11pm On Aug 10, 2014
GEW: most of you wont have much problem with weight if you drop oily foods and stopped eating from 6pm.

True. I have my dinner latest 5:30pm, substituted all fried foods with boiled ones, reduced my portion sizes to just enough to sate my hunger, and I do a range of exercises every morning ranging from running, squats to crunches.
I weighed 91kg when I started some 2 months ago, my target is 75kg, now I weight 79.5.
I use weider's amino formula, measured my daily calorie consumption and try to offset at my next exercise.
My height is 1.75m
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by agabaI23(m): 7:29am On Aug 17, 2014
Who is here? Where is modath?
Where Hourglass?

Where is everybody?
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by agabaI23(m): 7:33am On Aug 17, 2014
HourGlass3: [url]aegishot..com/[/url]

Check me there my people, I may not patronize this place again. Sorry I got discouraged with the site. Hope someone revives it someday soon.
I checked the link and I didnt see you. The blog has no steam too. Come back here or.....
Re: Daily Exercise And Food Routine For Those Who Want To Lose Weight by agabaI23(m): 1:51am On Aug 19, 2014
Yesterday
weight and swimming

Today

Some weight
Treadmill 3km only

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (230) (Reply)

Male Infertility!!! Share Your Experience/success Story. / Nigerian Herbs- Uses, Local Names And Pictures / RIP DJDOLA- We Will Miss You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.