Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State (23476 Views)

Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Igbo Speaking Communities In Kogi State / Origins Of The Ogori-magongo People And Its Environs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by toyinakomolafe(m): 8:51pm On Dec 28, 2015
OGORI (BY OGORI DESCENDANTS UNION, UNITED KINGDOM)

Ogori is a peculiar ethnic minority that has played and continues to play significant roles in all aspects of human and national development. One of the prominent geographical features in Ogori is a chain of hills running east-west connecting Ogori and magongo.

Ogori people whos local name is OKO.

The commonly accepted position on the history of ogori is that the community is birthed by the descendants of AKINBUYI, a prince of the ILE IFE, the cradle of the Yoruba race who Migrated to the environment where the community is presently situated.

The emergence of ogori descendants’ Union have been fulfilling in the role of unifying and in promoting developmental activities corporately and through individual members.

These organisations have helped over the years in sustaining the cultural heritage of their communities like the coming of age ceremony known as OVIA OSESE and its accompanying festivals which have become tourist attractions in ogori.

The Ovia Osese is a way of extolling and sustains the virtues of a womanhood of the people of ogori.

That of males are of two sorts namely, EKON MO ORIRE and the AKARA OSI SORE, which is basically a display of skills on how to fry akara balls with very little materls. Both activities of the males are to test their dexterity and intergellence.

A lot can be said about the uniqueness of Ogori people, it will be unfair not to mention their flair for educations. This is the land of professors, doctors and academics to name a few.

Fill free to visit when in the area and most especially during the OVIA OSESE. You will be happy you came.

MAGONGO (CURLED FROM: A BRIEF HISTORY OF MAGONGO BY CHIEF A.O.F. ALAO)

Oludo from Ile-Ife is the first settler in Magongo about 500 years ago. The town derived its name from Unagogo,one of the son of Oludo. After then the Land started to grow bigger and bigger. Magongo is well known to be the town that accepts visitors. And God keeps blessing us with great leders.
Magongo Community in Kogi State of Nigeria is on geographical Coordinates:7°29'N 6°13'E. Occupying land mass of about 30sq mile. The population size of 1996 census of the federal republic of Nigeria put the population figure of the local government at about 39,000.
Our culture is very rich among which are the famous Owiya Osese.
The paramount ruler is Olumagongo of Magongo. important High and Lesser Chiefs are known as Ekekaro and Otaru in Magongo respectively. The music dance include eregba, okeni, igo,ishoko and more importantly iyaresen while the festivals include igilofifi,ikpen,eya ojija.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by scholes0(m): 9:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
The Ogori peoples' status confuse me generally.
They speak Yoruba generally, but some say they are Ebira, others say they are their own eth ic group. Some even say that they are Edo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by toyinakomolafe(m): 9:33pm On Dec 28, 2015
Do not mind them jare. The author of this book is an indigene. I have heard some them being proud of their Yoruba heritage.
scholes0:
They speak Yoruba generally, but some say they are Ebira, others say they are their own eth ic group. Some even say that they are Edo.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Funjosh(m): 7:23am On Dec 29, 2015
I met one in Auchi, she said they are Igbira but they understand and speak Yoruba well am confused lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by teetee123: 6:43pm On Dec 29, 2015
Origin and Migrations of the Ogori People of The Niger/Benue Confluence Area

Ogori people are a sub ethnic group today found in the North central part of Kogi State with a projected population of about sixty-thousand (60,000).
Ogori is said to have a history that span up to about 700 hundred years. The origin of the people of Ogori is thus tied to the waves of migration of the Yoruba. The people traced their origin to Ile-Ife, the Yoruba ancestral home. According to oral tradition, the people of Ogori arrived their present location through series of migration from Ile-Ife having settled intermittently in places like Ilesha, owo, Benin, Idoma land and Ajaokuta before their present location (Akerejola 1970).
The people of Ogori haven settled in Idomaland were said to have proceeded in their migration passing through Igalaland into Aboko (Ajaokuta) and Egori districts to Igbirra Pete, Ipesi Ate and Okejebu till their final arrival in the present area where they are now found. A section of Ogori was said to have separated in Ajaokuta (Aboko) and proceeded to Gobbo, Mozun and Toto areas of Nassarawa via Niger and Benue confluence and later to Kakanda where another Ogori settlement exists till this day (Osheidu 1980). According to oral tradition and written sources, Ogori in their migratory era consisted of many clans, many of which have been consumed by the larger ones. These clans are said to be Adu’bane, Oso’bane, Okibo, Arigo, Ogbegbe, Oturu, Egewu, Okpowo and Eni. Some of these clans later separated to establish their own settlements in different places. The Okpoowo, Oturu and Ogbegbe clans are now found in Magongo, about 3 kilometres to Ogori. Some others separated to settle with their counterparts from Ile-Ife, in places like the present Makeke, Bekuma, Oja and Ososo all in present Edo State (Holgate 1950).

file:///C:/Users/olatunji/Downloads/UNN-FAJH23.pdf

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by teetee123: 6:44pm On Dec 29, 2015
Ogori people see themselves as a descendant of Oduduwa from Ile-Ife who had contact with many other groups in their migrations. They justify this claim in many ways. For instance, in Ogori, the farewell song when a bride is being accompanied to the groom’s home depicts an Ile-Ife origin “Osimire Memek’Ado O Osimire” meaning Oh! Osimire, having bidden farewell to you, home to which there is no return, I am now in Ado (Benin). Osimire is said to be a river at Ile-Ife which the ancestors of Ogori were said to have crossed during their migration from Ile-Ife. Equally, the observance of some festivals in Ogori are identical with those of some parts of Yoruba and Benin. For example, the coronation ceremony of an ‘Oya’ title in Ogori corresponds with that of Benin.
Ogori Ovia-Osese festival is also similar with a festival called Igogo in Owo and Evieme festival in Ozalla, Edo State. Ogori type tribal marks are also similar to those of Yoruba and the Benin variety. Oduro (waiters) in Yoruba palaces also correspond with waiters in Ogori palace (Osheidu, 1980). Furthermore, in Ogori Royal palace are kept beaded crowns, the Ogoloko swords and other regalia dating to the seventh century which correspond with those found in Yoruba land (Oyedele 1982). In fact, the Oni of Ife, Oba Adesoji Aderemi in 1979 confirmed that the Ogori crown is of Ife Origin but of the Benin pattern. Another evidence of the claim of Yoruba origin is the easy adoption of Yoruba names, customs and language by Ogori people. The Ogori speak Yoruba as a second language. Also the name Oduduwa “the father of all Yoruba” has a native name in Ogori known as Odudurudu. As such the people like the Yoruba, regard Oduduwa as their ancestor.

5 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by teetee123: 6:45pm On Dec 29, 2015
Notwithstanding the similarities between some aspects of Ogori culture and that of the Yoruba, instead of claiming Yoruba origin, it is more plausible to infer a cultural contact between the people and the Yoruba in the past. According to Edahson (1981), the more plausible explanation for the cultural similarity between Ogori and Yoruba, is that Ogori, Ife and Edo could have had some political, social and cultural relationships in the past. And as such the myth that Ile-Ife is the centre of creation permeated Ogori, hence, like other groups, claim Ile-Ife as their home of origin. It is possible that the Ogori like most African people decided to claim descent from Ile-Ife in their bid to give themselves a more prestigious identity and recognition.
Ogori is a confederation of Adu’bane, Osho’bane, Okibo and Eni clans. The Adu’bane, Osho’bane and Okibo are collectively known as ONU. The Onus were said to be the earliest arrival to the present Ogoriland, and they first settled in a place called Onumoba (Imoru, Pers. Comm. 2003). The Eni clan was said to be a later arrival to the area in search of their claimed lost brothers (the ONUS) who were said to have missed their way home in a hunting expedition (Akerejola 1970). The geography of the area must have influenced the choice of the area for settlement by the people of Ogori given the security situation at the time of their movement around the Niger/Benue confluence. Ogoriland is located in a valley enclosed by hills, these hills provided protection against external invasion. Ogori as a settlement became established through several waves of migration of people to the area. The different groups in the course of migrations settled in various places such as Ilesha, Owo, Idomaland and Ajaokuta area before their final arrival to the present location.

file:///C:/Users/olatunji/Downloads/UNN-FAJH23.pdf

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by EsanEmmanuel(m): 5:16am On Dec 30, 2015
Funjosh:
I met one in Auchi, she said they are Igbira but they understand and speak Yoruba well am confused lipsrsealed
Agbaaya Onisekuse... meet girls from all nigerian tribes finish Ooo... na 101kids U go born last last. 1 for each tribe
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Funjosh(m): 9:22am On Dec 30, 2015
EsanEmmanuel:
[s] Agbaaya Onisekuse... meet girls from all nigerian tribes finish Ooo... na 101kids U go born last last. 1 for each tribe [/s]

What's this man saying Baale of Akwuzu tongue
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by oyatz(m): 4:10pm On Dec 31, 2015
scholes0:
The Ogori/Mangogos appear to be descendants of peoples from diverse origins but majority are from Ile-Ife with minority from Ebira,Igala and very few from Edo to form a Unique blend.
If they say they are Yorubas,they are correct and if they elect to be a distinct ethnic group,they are also correct.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 05, 2016
toyinakomolafe:
OGORI (BY OGORI DESCENDANTS UNION, UNITED KINGDOM)

Ogori is a peculiar ethnic minority that has played and continues to play significant roles in all aspects of human and national development. One of the prominent geographical features in Ogori is a chain of hills running east-west connecting Ogori and magongo.

Ogori people whos local name is OKO.

The commonly accepted position on the history of ogori is that the community is birthed by the descendants of AKINBUYI, a prince of the ILE IFE, the cradle of the Yoruba race who Migrated to the environment where the community is presently situated.

The emergence of ogori descendants’ Union have been fulfilling in the role of unifying and in promoting developmental activities corporately and through individual members.

These organisations have helped over the years in sustaining the cultural heritage of their communities like the coming of age ceremony known as OVIA OSESE and its accompanying festivals which have become tourist attractions in ogori.

The Ovia Osese is a way of extolling and sustains the virtues of a womanhood of the people of ogori.

That of males are of two sorts namely, EKON MO ORIRE and the AKARA OSI SORE, which is basically a display of skills on how to fry akara balls with very little materls. Both activities of the males are to test their dexterity and intergellence.

A lot can be said about the uniqueness of Ogori people, it will be unfair not to mention their flair for educations. This is the land of professors, doctors and academics to name a few.

Fill free to visit when in the area and most especially during the OVIA OSESE. You will be happy you came.

MAGONGO (CURLED FROM: A BRIEF HISTORY OF MAGONGO BY CHIEF A.O.F. ALAO)

Oludo from Ile-Ife is the first settler in Magongo about 500 years ago. The town derived its name from Unagogo,one of the son of Oludo. After then the Land started to grow bigger and bigger. Magongo is well known to be the town that accepts visitors. And God keeps blessing us with great leders.
Magongo Community in Kogi State of Nigeria is on geographical Coordinates:7°29'N 6°13'E. Occupying land mass of about 30sq mile. The population size of 1996 census of the federal republic of Nigeria put the population figure of the local government at about 39,000.
Our culture is very rich among which are the famous Owiya Osese.
The paramount ruler is Olumagongo of Magongo. important High and Lesser Chiefs are known as Ekekaro and Otaru in Magongo respectively. The music dance include eregba, okeni, igo,ishoko and more importantly iyaresen while the festivals include igilofifi,ikpen,eya ojija.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 05, 2016
oyatz:

The Ogori/Mangogos appear to be descendants of peoples from diverse origins but majority are from Ile-Ife with minority from Ebira,Igala and very few from Edo to form a Unique blend.
If they say they are Yorubas,they are correct and if they elect to be a distinct ethnic group,they are also correct.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jan 05, 2016
Funjosh:
I met one in Auchi, she said they are Igbira but they understand and speak Yoruba well am
confused lipsrsealed

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Funjosh(m): 12:30pm On Jan 05, 2016
shapeey:

We are not ebiras

So which part are you, because I know you guys are not Igala and she said they are not Yoruba please let me know ma
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2016
Funjosh:

So which part are you, because I know you guys are not Igala and she said they are not Yoruba please let me know ma

we are ogori. under ogori/magongo LGA. its a tribe on its own.

3 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Funjosh(m): 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2016
shapeey:

we are ogori. under ogori/magongo LGA. its a tribe on its own.

Ho! Thanks for making me to understand. smiley
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by toyinakomolafe(m): 11:59am On Jan 07, 2016
The pleasure is mine. Thanks as well for the clarification. Feel free to contribute whatever historical facts you know bout your people.
shapeey:

toyinakomolafe and teetee123 thanks for this enlightening write-up about ogori/Magongo land, guess this will go along way in letting people know about ogori/magongo. grin

I am an ogori lady though grew up in lagos. Ogori land is a blessed and wonderful place even though we are small and a minority tribe in kogi.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by macof(m): 10:01am On Jan 13, 2016
scholes0:

in my opinion they should be considered Akoko
they are yorubas who must have fallen to Ebira authority sometime in history

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by MetaPhysical: 11:52pm On Jan 13, 2016
I have very strong evidence to believe the Ogori people are a part of the migration caravan led out of Assyria by Oduduwa.

Does anyone have the Oriki of the Ogori people? If someone does please post it here for me.
So far I have arts and even culture and names that tie the Ogori people with the ancient civilization of Ugari in AfroAsia region. The Oriki will help me clarify on some artifacts I am inspecting.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Vkeyangel(f): 12:18pm On Nov 01, 2016
There is nothing confusing about ogorians, they are unique people, they are ogori people( also known as okoros). An ogorian that grew up in ogori, Kogi state can't speak or understand 3languages naturally, which are okor, ebira and yoruba, that doesn't make dem yoruba or ebira. If you hear some claim Edo , it because the land share boundary with 4 villages in edo.

[/quote]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Osinitu(m): 7:47am On Jul 24, 2018
MetaPhysical:
I have very strong evidence to believe the Ogori people are a part of the migration caravan led out of Assyria by Oduduwa.

Does anyone have the Oriki of the Ogori people? If someone does please post it here for me.
So far I have arts and even culture and names that tie the Ogori people with the ancient civilization of Ugari in AfroAsia region. The Oriki will help me clarify on some artifacts I am inspecting.

Thanks.
Olumooo!!!
Oporokiti!!!!
Oshobe dagudagu!!!! That's the little I can remember ooooo.

This thread is an eye-opener for me because I've been having difficulties myself trying to place which tribe Ogori falls under.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by KCEE11(m): 5:09pm On Apr 17, 2019
Please i need information on the Ovia Osese of the ogori tribe..I want to know how it all Started...... What lead to this practice Of ovia osese in ogori land. Am having a presentation on this, i really need it.
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Theogideon4(m): 11:04pm On Jan 13, 2022

Anyone who is Ebira and claims he or she is from Ogori/Magongo must be as a result of inter-tribal marriage. Ogori/Magongo have no cultural and social relationship or semblance with Ebira people.

It is true there are many Ebira people now living in and claiming to be Ogorians and Magongolese (this could be as a result of inter tribal marriage and many years of settlement). Ebira people are known to be great farmers and they have permeated not only Ogori/Magongo but even Ondo State in Issua Akoko.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 6:01am On Jan 14, 2022
Theogideon4:
Anyone who is Ebira and claims he or she is from Ogori/Magongo must be as a result of inter-tribal marriage. Ogori/Magongo have no cultural and social relationship or semblance with Ebira people.

It is true there are many Ebira people now living in and claiming to be Ogorians and Magongolese (this could be as a result of inter tribal marriage and many years of settlement). Ebira people are known to be great farmers and they have permeated not only Ogori/Magongo but even Ondo State in Issua Akoko.

The ogori are most likely of Akoko stock,they should be grouped with Akoko-edo and Akoko-ondo peoples
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Edibles20: 5:03am On Dec 10, 2022
babasolution:

The ogori are most likely of Akoko stock,they should be grouped with Akoko-edo and Akoko-ondo peoples

This is fundamentally wrong
Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 2:08pm On Dec 10, 2022
Edibles20:

This is fundamentally wrong

But Why do you think it's wrong,can you give reasons ? BTW are you from ogori?

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Edibles20: 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2022
s.

1 Like

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 4:39pm On Dec 10, 2022
Edibles20:

Yeah. I’m from ogori. We can lay claims to Yoruba than any other dialect, and the history that we originally originated from Ile Ife is very valid. The churches there speak Yoruba. Our names are mostly Yoruba. My first, middle and surname are all major Yoruba names.
Indigenes tend to marry from neighboring communities, meaning you’ll find unions between ogorians and okene, and akoko edo and others very common. Ogori shares boundary with about 4 edo communities.

Am also from ogori,from my own understanding, the Ile ife origin claim is obscure,some Akoko-edo communities eg ibilo lay claim of origin to Ile ife too,they also bear Yoruba names and speak Yoruba,even Ekpedo which lay claim to Benin speak Yoruba very widely,the Yoruba speaking and naming in my opinion is fairly recent,and was probably influenced by ogori interaction with Yoruba who ogori traded with,I think there was also a Yoruba invasion period,as ososo community as the history of Yoruba invasion,it's more complex than a simple origin from Ile ife,if you read history of ogori by prof akerejola,you will see the complex history of ogori,do you know ogori language is gotten mainly from idoma? It might surprise you but it's researched.I seriously doubt ogori are Yoruba,ogori people don't even look or behave like Yoruba,even though ogori loves to adapt Yoruba culture a lot.Ogori is for a long time tried to absorb a lot of Yoruba culture

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by babasolution: 11:41pm On Dec 10, 2022
Even ogori is not even as linguistically and culturally close to Yoruba as say itsheriki or igala,the truth is ogori is not yoruboid at all,they have just chosen to adopt a yoruboid culture, which is think is unfortunate and should not be so,the ogori are unique and not yoruboid in any way,shape or form

4 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by Bimffo(m): 9:41am On Dec 22, 2022
Is this thread still alive?

My mum is from Ogori and even though I tried to learn the language, omoor, e hard me die.

My Ogori names are Unini and Mosiromoro.

If there is another thread to meet Ogori indegenes, someone should lead me.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Ogori And Magongo In Kogi State by GENES11S: 5:27pm On Jan 13, 2023
Funjosh:

We are not ebira.

Ogori Magongo is a border town, so we share border with ebira speaking towns.
So most of them and our people intermarry and settle as one.
Same can be said of some tribes from Edo state, they share borther with us and are very close to us.
Don't even get me started with Kwara state, which we were initially part of before the creation of Kogi state. Even now, there are still traces of Ogori and Magongo in Kwara state.

So we are not Ebira, we are Ogori/Magongo. We are a tribe of our own. Yes, we do have Yoruba ancestry which is evident from most of our surnames.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olu Of Warri’s Coronation To Proceed On Saturday Despite Missing Crown / Eze Chukwuemeka Eri & Nnia Nwodo At World Igbo Festival In US / Igbo Priest Teaching Americans How To Sing In Igbo Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.