Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,958 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:18 AM

Happy Birthday, Not ! - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Happy Birthday, Not ! (10739 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 7:38am On Dec 29, 2015
Salim was over joyous; he had just reached home after submitting the application form for one of the most difficult exams, the ACCA. “Wow! I am going to be a certified professional this year!” and then, a brilliant idea struck him. “Why don’t I call all my friends over for an exam party?” After doing all the planning, he called up his friends. Everyone was so eager to have another day to celebrate. While he spent the next two days going in and out preparing for a grand get-together, his mother watched worriedly.

“Salim! Are you OK? You should be calling them over to study; your exam is just a month away! I have never ever heard of anything as absurd as an exam party!” She pleaded anxiously. “You are supposed to celebrate after you succeed in the exam, are you sure you are going to clear it when you haven’t even touched your books?!”

Salim ignored his mother, “Mom, it’s the trend these days, everyone does it! Please don’t be so backward! Besides, it’s a good thing to make others happy and we are celebrating to thank this blessing.”

His mother felt like crying. “What can I do?”, she thought.

What do YOU think? Have you ever heard of a pre-exam party? No?

Well… I have! Read on…

“Afnan is turning 15 tomorrow! Masha Allah she is growing up so fast! I’ll call all her friends and aunts for a surprise party.”

The next day, when Afnan opened her Facebook account, she was shocked to see so many notifications. “Happy Birthday Afnan” they had all wished. ‘Oh’ she remembered. On her arrival at home, she was even more surprised to find that her relatives and friends had come over to celebrate her birthday. It was a day full of wishes, hugs, gifts and a grand cake -to celebrate the day she entered this world…

Can you relate between the first and the second scenario? No? Well…Read on….

We all live according to our views and perspectives about life. The non-believers regard this life as everything; enjoy it to the utmost, enjoy it before it ends. For them, this is the time to gain all that they can; to them there is no hereafter.

For a Muslim on the other hand, life is a serious matter, it is a responsibility that they shall be accountable for. Life is a tough exam; based on the curriculum of Quran, Seerah and Sunnah. It is a journey on a thorny road to Hell-fire or a blissful road towards Paradise. A Muslim is not free to do anything and everything that they desire. They willingly bind themselves in the boundaries set by Allah so that they can be free in the eternal life; in the gardens of Paradise, near their Lord who is pleased with them. When a Muslim enters this world, their assessment begins.

Prophet Muhammad explained the reality of this world in a beautiful parable. He said: “The world is a prison-house for a believer and Paradise for a non-believer.”

With this in mind, does celebrating birthday really make sense? Does it make sense to rejoice on the commencement day of your examination each year? Have you ever seen a prisoner partying the day he entered his prison cell? No! The reason to celebrate will only come afterwards…

This is why we see the best generations of Muslims far from such celebrations. We never heard the Sahaba, the tabi’en or later scholars celebrating various days: Badr day, Fathu Makkah (conquest of Makkah) day or Ahzaab day (even though these days were very important days). Instead, we read about them being hasty in racing after good deeds, seeking forgiveness and wishing they were birds and trees from the fear of accountability before Allah.

26 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 7:38am On Dec 29, 2015
Let's Celebrate!

The History

One of the effects of colonialism and media is the rising tide of western values and culture which has brought with itself their futile celebrations. It is the nature of human beings that they copy those who overpower them with a sense of inferiority. Same is the case with Muslims today, having forgotten their own glorious civilization, they are ready to accept everything being handed down to them by the West.

A little research will show that birthdays were originally celebrated by the pagans, the pharaohs and the ancient Greeks to honor their ‘gods’. Even the Christians believed it to be a pagan celebration and admonished it at first, until the 4th century, when they themselves started celebrating the birthday of Isa AS. It is a celebration rooted deeply in shirk (polytheism).

9 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 7:39am On Dec 29, 2015
Blow The Candles !!!
“Lighting candles on a birthday cake originates from pagan beliefs in gods.
People had believed that their gods lived in the sky among the stars. Lighting candles or torches during ceremonies was a way for people to send messages and prayers to the gods. Making a wish and blowing out the candles on the cake personified the idea of sending prayers up to the gods. Germans were recorded putting candles on birthday cakes over 100 years ago. The number of candles on the cake represented the age of the birthday honoree. Blowing out all the candles in one breath would give your wish a better chance at coming true.” 2

8 Likes

Stand Apart – From those who Disbelieve

The Prophet warned us about imitating the non believers. He said: “He who imitates any people (in their actions) is considered to be one of them.” 3.”

In every sphere of life he wanted us to be distinguished from the non-believers. He once said: “Act against the polytheists, trim the mustache closely and grow the beard.” 4

At another point he said: “Act differently from the Jews, for they do not pray in their sandals or their shoes.” 5

These are some of the many examples from ahadith that instruct us about not imitating the non-believers in their customs, traditions and celebrations. We the Ummah of Muhammad SAWS are a distinct nation.

The irony is that the non- believers, as a whole, continue to oppress and support the oppression of Muslims throughout the world. Countless children, women and men are their victims each day. Whereas, turning a blind eye to this, Muslims are busy in celebrating the days and events borrowed from them.

So, the next time we wish someone on their birthday, or think of celebrating it, let us review the purpose of life in our minds. Let us take pride in our exclusive 1400 year old Muslim identity and culture given to us from the Lord of the worlds. Let us be the trendsetters for the world and not let the tides set our course. Let us distribute to the world the true perspective of life. Let us stand apart – from those who disbelieve.

May Allah make our best day the day we meet Him. Ameen!

Birthday – Happy or Not? article by --Umm Salih

http://blog.islamiconlineuniversity.com/birthday-happy-not/

References

1.Sahih Muslim ↩
2.http://history.answers.com/language/the-history-of-birthdays
3.Abu Dawud; Sahih ↩
4.Sahih Muslim ↩
5.Abu Dawud; Sahih ↩

16 Likes 2 Shares

as expected, there were comments on the main article page, here are the comments and answers provided by the author.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 7:40am On Dec 29, 2015
snapshots cont'd

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 8:21am On Dec 29, 2015
I pray Allaah makes it easy for us to overcome our hawaa...

2 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 29, 2015
Hmmm. But some say it's okay to mAke duas on that day and thank Allah for help I one through another year. No cakes and stuff.
What's your say op?
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 6:00pm On Dec 29, 2015
enieme:
Hmmm. But some say it's okay to mAke duas on that day and thank Allah for help I one through another year. No cakes and stuff.
What's your say op?

Did the prophet or the companions make dua on that day every year? Remember the battle of Badr? how important it was? Did they make any anniversary out of it? Remember the Conquest of Makkah and thee victory it gave to islaam? did you come across any text stating it being celebrated or prayers held on that reason?
Thank Allaah everyday you wake up

7 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by dragnet: 6:00pm On Dec 29, 2015
Umar bin Al-Khattab narrated
" Once a Jew said to me, "O the chief of believers! There is a verse in your Holy Book Which is read by all of you (Muslims), and had it been revealed to us, we would have taken that day (on which it was revealed as a day of celebration." 'Umar bin Al-Khattab asked, "Which is that verse?" The Jew replied, "This day I have perfected your religion For you, completed My favor upon you, And have chosen for you Islam as your religion." (5:3) 'Umar replied,"No doubt, we know when and where this verse was revealed to the Prophet. It was Friday and the Prophet was standing at 'Arafat (i.e. the Day of Hajj)"

9 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by AideeSheks(m): 11:49am On Oct 26, 2016
Jazakallahu khairan. This is really insightful

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by umu(m): 11:34am On Oct 28, 2016
Masha ALLAH for the post, I like it and have learned a lot from it. What I normally do is fast when my birth date comes.
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by Horlorlardaey: 11:38am On Oct 28, 2016
Alhamdulilah this kind of post made FP

4 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by madridguy(m): 11:41am On Oct 28, 2016
Noted.
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by iamzizou: 11:43am On Oct 28, 2016
dragnet:

Did the prophet or the companions make dua on that day every year? Remember the battle of Badr? how important it was? Did they make any anniversary out of it? Remember the Conquest of Makkah and thee victory it gave to islaam? did you come across any text stating it being celebrated or prayers held on that reason?
Thank Allaah everyday you wake up
why did the prophet always fast on mondays and thursdys pls? i need some clarifications cos i guess we can raise our good deeds by giving alms (food) to the needy on our birthday... without the intention of a party!

Jazukumulah Khairan
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by tunderay(m): 12:08pm On Oct 28, 2016
May Allah reward you accordingly dragnet, this is one if best article I have read on Nairaland as a Muslim, very educative.

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by ummeey: 1:40pm On Oct 28, 2016
iamzizou:
why did the prophet always fast on mondays and thursdys pls? i need some clarifications cos i guess we can raise our good deeds by giving alms (food) to the needy on our birthday... without the intention of a party!

Jazukumulah Khairan
Fasting Mondays and Thursdays is sunnah of Prophet Da'ud(David).
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by SweetyZinta(f): 3:45pm On Oct 28, 2016
JazakAllahu khairan
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by sakieja(f): 3:54pm On Oct 28, 2016
jazakalahu khaeran
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by personal59: 7:37pm On Oct 28, 2016
ummeey:
iamzizou:
Jazukumulah Khairan
ummeey:
It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be
pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace
and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Deeds are
shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I
like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.”
Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 747; classed as saheeh by al-
Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1041.

2 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by busar(m): 10:19pm On Oct 28, 2016
umu:
Masha ALLAH for the post, I like it and have learned a lot from it. What I normally do is fast when my birth date comes.
it is not right for you to fast on your birthday because none of the sahaba did that but they emulated him by fasting on Mondays and Thursdays too

1 Like

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by generaluthman: 7:04am On Oct 29, 2016
lesson
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by umu(m): 10:53am On Oct 29, 2016
JAZAKHALLAHU KHAIRAN
umu:

JAZAKHALLAHU KHAIRAN
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by nurex01(m): 2:57am On Sep 11, 2019
dragnet:
Salim was over joyous; he had just reached home after submitting the application form for one of the most difficult exams, the ACCA. “Wow! I am going to be a certified professional this year!” and then, a brilliant idea struck him. “Why don’t I call all my friends over for an exam party?” After doing all the planning, he called up his friends. Everyone was so eager to have another day to celebrate. While he spent the next two days going in and out preparing for a grand get-together, his mother watched worriedly.

“Salim! Are you OK? You should be calling them over to study; your exam is just a month away! I have never ever heard of anything as absurd as an exam party!” She pleaded anxiously. “You are supposed to celebrate after you succeed in the exam, are you sure you are going to clear it when you haven’t even touched your books?!”

Salim ignored his mother, “Mom, it’s the trend these days, everyone does it! Please don’t be so backward! Besides, it’s a good thing to make others happy and we are celebrating to thank this blessing.”

His mother felt like crying. “What can I do?”, she thought.

What do YOU think? Have you ever heard of a pre-exam party? No?

Well… I have! Read on…

“Afnan is turning 15 tomorrow! Masha Allah she is growing up so fast! I’ll call all her friends and aunts for a surprise party.”

The next day, when Afnan opened her Facebook account, she was shocked to see so many notifications. “Happy Birthday Afnan” they had all wished. ‘Oh’ she remembered. On her arrival at home, she was even more surprised to find that her relatives and friends had come over to celebrate her birthday. It was a day full of wishes, hugs, gifts and a grand cake -to celebrate the day she entered this world…

Can you relate between the first and the second scenario? No? Well…Read on….

We all live according to our views and perspectives about life. The non-believers regard this life as everything; enjoy it to the utmost, enjoy it before it ends. For them, this is the time to gain all that they can; to them there is no hereafter.

For a Muslim on the other hand, life is a serious matter, it is a responsibility that they shall be accountable for. Life is a tough exam; based on the curriculum of Quran, Seerah and Sunnah. It is a journey on a thorny road to Hell-fire or a blissful road towards Paradise. A Muslim is not free to do anything and everything that they desire. They willingly bind themselves in the boundaries set by Allah so that they can be free in the eternal life; in the gardens of Paradise, near their Lord who is pleased with them. When a Muslim enters this world, their assessment begins.

Prophet Muhammad explained the reality of this world in a beautiful parable. He said: “The world is a prison-house for a believer and Paradise for a non-believer.”

With this in mind, does celebrating birthday really make sense? Does it make sense to rejoice on the commencement day of your examination each year? Have you ever seen a prisoner partying the day he entered his prison cell? No! The reason to celebrate will only come afterwards…

This is why we see the best generations of Muslims far from such celebrations. We never heard the Sahaba, the tabi’en or later scholars celebrating various days: Badr day, Fathu Makkah (conquest of Makkah) day or Ahzaab day (even though these days were very important days). Instead, we read about them being hasty in racing after good deeds, seeking forgiveness and wishing they were birds and trees from the fear of accountability before Allah.
weldone dragnet

2 Likes

Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by Bombayking: 4:24pm On Sep 15, 2020
My boss please I can’t comment on technology market please help me out. Very urgent.
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by Bombayking: 4:29pm On Sep 15, 2020
My boss please I can’t comment on technology market please help me out. Very urgent.
Boss dragnet please help
Re: Happy Birthday, Not ! by Realismailakabir: 8:43pm On Sep 15, 2020
May Allah reward you

(1) (Reply)

Interesting Jumu'ah Schedule for Muslim Stay-at-home Moms / Share Your Unforgettable Experience(s) That Brought You Closer To Allah / What Is The Concept Of Faith In Islam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.