Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,882 members, 7,806,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:05 PM

Quick, Dirty Hack For Hosting Websites When You Can’t Pay Your Server Fees. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Quick, Dirty Hack For Hosting Websites When You Can’t Pay Your Server Fees. (1505 Views)

[GET] New 100% Absolutely Legit Money Hack For FREE!! / Install Wordpress And Setup Premium Theme At Your Server (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Quick, Dirty Hack For Hosting Websites When You Can’t Pay Your Server Fees. by pystar: 7:59pm On Dec 30, 2015
https://aitoehigie./2015/12/30/quick-dirty-hack-for-hosting-websites-when-you-cant-pay-your-server-fees/?preview=true

On January 1, 2016, the use of Naira denominated debit cards outside Nigeria will officially become impossible and this will have an adverse ripple effect on almost everything you can think of. As a techie, I am very concerned about how I would renew my hosting fees etc.

This is a simple workaround:
You can expose a local server installed on a development machine serving a web application to the world using this simple tool http://ngrok.com/ . You can install it on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Exposing a local server to the Internet is as simple as running “ngrok 5000”, where 5000 is the port that the web application server is running from, it could be any valid port number.

Downside: you will be paying loads in bandwidth fees to your local ISP and if your development machine specs isn’t beefy then there is a limit to the number of requests you can server per second.

P.S: I have tried it and it works. I am currently running some simple one page flask apps off my 16gb RAM Linux Mint laptop.
#ShameOnEmefiele #WeRiseStill

1 Like

Re: Quick, Dirty Hack For Hosting Websites When You Can’t Pay Your Server Fees. by SupremeDimeji(m): 8:10am On Dec 31, 2015
BRB
Re: Quick, Dirty Hack For Hosting Websites When You Can’t Pay Your Server Fees. by Squirrel(m): 3:24am On Jan 01, 2016
pystar:
https://aitoehigie./2015/12/30/quick-dirty-hack-for-hosting-websites-when-you-cant-pay-your-server-fees/?preview=true
On January 1, 2016, the use of Naira denominated debit cards outside Nigeria will officially become impossible and this will have an adverse ripple effect on almost everything you can think of. As a techie, I am very concerned about how I would renew my hosting fees etc.
This is a simple workaround:
You can expose a local server installed on a development machine serving a web application to the world using this simple tool http://ngrok.com/ . You can install it on Windows, Mac and Linux.
Exposing a local server to the Internet is as simple as running “ngrok 5000”, where 5000 is the port that the web application server is running from, it could be any valid port number.
Downside: you will be paying loads in bandwidth fees to your local ISP and if your development machine specs isn’t beefy then there is a limit to the number of requests you can server per second.
P.S: I have tried it and it works. I am currently running some simple one page flask apps off my 16gb RAM Linux Mint laptop.
#ShameOnEmefiele #WeRiseStill

@OP - ngrok is a great tool and definitely has a lot of advantages in addition to what you have stated. I've used it often to share applications with distributed teams. An extra tip I would like to add is that you don't do this on your primary machine (i.e. main work computer).

If you have the resources, consider designating a separate computer either virtual (e.g. with Vagrant/Virtual Box but remember to setup your port-forwarding correctly) or physical (preferred option + can be on a different subnet within your main network) for this purpose. There are automated port scanners that surf the web for open ports and ngrok provides such port which essentially is an entry point for hackers into your system.

Please note, even with either of the above setups - you can still get hacked. I hope this makes sense.

Enjoy

(1) (Reply)

Meet The World's Youngest IBM Watson Coder / Codeigniter 3 Vs Php Laravel 5.8 : Which One Will You Go For? / Can Html5 Do It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.