Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,028 members, 7,807,043 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Vw Passat Or Audi A4 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Vw Passat Or Audi A4 (36783 Views)

t-die's 2002 Audi A4 B6 (3.0 V6) Quattro Sedan Restoration Project. / Jaguar Xf Or Audi / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by lanreajax(m): 9:35pm On Jun 12, 2009
Guys,
Help me out here. I simply cant make up my mind between these two cars. i am looking at a 2003 or 2004 model of either a vw passat or audi A4. Which do you guys think is better. Please note that i am a love driving and i am passionate about performance and paasing ease.
Also, pls let me have prices from anybody who has one. I know itachi has one and I think it looks great.
Thx
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by dcorious: 1:39pm On Jun 13, 2009
Both are very good cars! i was actually in the same dilemma sometime in Jan. I wanted a brand new 09 German car and i was torn between a BMW3 series,AUDI A4 and VW PASSAT. I opted for the 2009 Passat TSI (the cheaper of the three) and so far it has been pure pure BLISS!

My advise, whatever your choice VW or AUDI, you would have made a good choice.

1 Like

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by lanreajax(m): 3:31pm On Jun 14, 2009
Thanks man,
any other opinions?
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 14, 2009
Both cars are mechanically similar, though Audi's quality control in Inglostadt is better than VW's in Wolfsburg.

Audi has better build quality, and residual values too.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2009
Audi A4 B6, or Volkswagen Passat B5.5
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by ibdguy: 6:24pm On Jun 14, 2009
A member of my family owns an Audi A4, and I recently swapped cars with her for an evening. I found the A4 to be quite the stunner in the looks department, its muscular lines and flared wheel arches give it a truly sporty modern aesthetic that turned a few heads while I had it I can tell you. But I also importantly found that the incredible visibility I enjoy in my less than head turning Honda Accord 98-2002 was nowhere to be found in the sportier A4. I compare the two simply because it is the car that I had swapped for the night.
I can only imagine in a straight shoot out between the A4 and a fighter jet as to which had the more complicated instrumentation panel, the A4 would win hands down! Getting out of the thing was like performing a systems check each and every time, so varied and many were the sheer number of buttons that had to be pressed and prodded to park it (or conversely ignite it as they case may be). Perhaps I was suffering from a little bit of culture shock coming from the confines of my Honda Accord which is anything but complicated having all its dials and knobs in full view, easy to understand and certainly not suggesting you needed a Phd to qualify to drive it.
Infact, at one point the car prompted on its in dash display that I keep my foot on the brake when not engaging the gears. Thanks mate, I never would have guessed that!
But perhaps the car has a point, as one thing the A4 has to burn in spades is speed.
It is effortlessly quick in delivering power, and remarkably balanced while doing so.
The ride in the A4 is further aided by the firm feel on the road, this is no Honda Civic lightweight, this is a balanced German road machine made to be driven.
Yet for all the gushing over the cars innate drivability, I couldn't quite get over the quality (or lack thereof) in the interior finish.
All those buttons having to be pressed for the air conditioning, climate control and the like on the dash had basically been wiped clean of all literature, there were squeaks within the cabin which I swear shouldn't have been audible, with the general interior falling apart or looking more than a little worse for wear.
You might argue that the owner was responsible for the state of this paticular A4, but again comparing it to my Accord, at a full 10 years old, some 6 more at least than the A4 and even taking into consideration that I am a careful owner, it still doesn't add up as to why the interior was in such bad shape.
As for the Passat, no long review to give, as I have never driven rather than sat in one. My impression of the Passat? Significantly less than glowing is the short answer.
In a nutshell, if you are in the market for a handsome sporty car, with speed to marvel at, get the A4. If you want a better built car, look elsewhere, but in my humble opinion certainly not at the Passat. However in the Passat's defence, and for what its worth, both are essentially made by VW and in my experience tread carefully with their cars. Gorgeous to drive, (as was the case with the A4), but a pain to maintain.
Well its back to my beloved Accord for me. Lucky you that you have such a mothwateringly difficult choice to make. Good luck to you whichever you eventually decide on.

2 Likes

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by inspiredm(m): 7:19pm On Jun 14, 2009
lanreajax:

Guys,
Help me out here. I simply cant make up my mind between these two cars. i am looking at a 2003 or 2004 model of either a vw passat or audi A4. Which do you guys think is better. Please note that i am a love driving and i am passionate about performance and paasing ease.
Also, pls let me have prices from anybody who has one. I know itachi has one and I think it looks great.
Thx

As A Car Dealer, Ill advise you go for the Audi A4,

The 2003/2004 Volkswagen Passat is quite problematic, So many defects and Complaints, Too many Recalls.

Faulty Electric Motor Componets Of the Fuel Pump , Bad Braking Systems, Etc.

The Audi A4 has Less Recalls & Complaints. IMHO.
  cool cool
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by MrCrackles(m): 7:31pm On Jun 14, 2009
A4 all the way mate! cheesy
I have been lucky enough to have driven both
Although the A4 longer because it is what i own at the moment and i must say the A4 dwarfs the passat in all ramification
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by erico2k2(m): 10:37pm On Jun 14, 2009
the A4 is supirior to the passat, I have driven both trust me so go for the A4
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by promise72(m): 1:05am On Jun 15, 2009
ibdguy:

A member of my family owns an Audi A4, and I recently swapped cars with her for an evening. I found the A4 to be quite the stunner in the looks department, its muscular lines and flared wheel arches give it a truly sporty modern aesthetic that turned a few heads while I had it I can tell you. But I also importantly found that the incredible visibility I enjoy in my less than head turning Honda Accord 98-2002 was nowhere to be found in the sportier A4. I compare the two simply because it is the car that I had swapped for the night.
I can only imagine in a straight shoot out between the A4 and a fighter jet as to which had the more complicated instrumentation panel, the A4 would win hands down! Getting out of the thing was like performing a systems check each and every time, so varied and many were the sheer number of buttons that had to be pressed and prodded to park it (or conversely ignite it as they case may be). Perhaps I was suffering from a little bit of culture shock coming from the confines of my Honda Accord which is anything but complicated having all its dials and knobs in full view, easy to understand and certainly not suggesting you needed a Phd to qualify to drive it.
Infact, at one point the car prompted on its in dash display that I keep my foot on the brake when not engaging the gears. Thanks mate, I never would have guessed that!
But perhaps the car has a point, as one thing the A4 has to burn in spades is speed.
It is effortlessly quick in delivering power, and remarkably balanced while doing so.
The ride in the A4 is further aided by the firm feel on the road, this is no Honda Civic lightweight, this is a balanced German road machine made to be driven.
Yet for all the gushing over the cars innate drivability, I couldn't quite get over the quality (or lack thereof) in the interior finish.
All those buttons having to be pressed for the air conditioning, climate control and the like on the dash had basically been wiped clean of all literature, there were squeaks within the cabin which I swear shouldn't have been audible, with the general interior falling apart or looking more than a little worse for wear.
You might argue that the owner was responsible for the state of this paticular A4, but again comparing it to my Accord, at a full 10 years old, some 6 more at least than the A4 and even taking into consideration that I am a careful owner, it still doesn't add up as to why the interior was in such bad shape.
As for the Passat, no long review to give, as I have never driven rather than sat in one. My impression of the Passat? Significantly less than glowing is the short answer.
In a nutshell, if you are in the market for a handsome sporty car, with speed to marvel at, get the A4. If you want a better built car, look elsewhere, but in my humble opinion certainly not at the Passat. However in the Passat's defence, and for what its worth, both are essentially made by VW and in my experience tread carefully with their cars. Gorgeous to drive, (as was the case with the A4), but a pain to maintain.
Well its back to my beloved Accord for me. Lucky you that you have such a mothwateringly difficult choice to make. Good luck to you whichever you eventually decide on.

That's exactly what i was about to say! grin Did u hack into my system and took that from my computer? I wrote it just like that! Are u a psychic? You must be!. Anyway, well said. I enjoy reading that.

Audi/VW are birds of the same feather. Too much complaints on both of them lately. Save ur money. Get a 06/07 Accord (wt Navi) or Camry. They are not as pulsating and exhilirating as Audi. But they wont drain your wallet either. Remember the Kid's college funds. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by AloyEmeka9: 8:46am On Jun 15, 2009
VAG cars  are avant-gardish and should not be compared to Hondas and toyotas. The engineering is solid and they drive better however, they cost more to maintain. Audi is in the class of mercedes and BMW, these vehicles cost more to maintain but they are better engineered. My brother owns a 2006 VW passat for about 2 years now, the only thing he has done to it is change the oil. The VW passat beat the so called honda accord[best in gas] in gas consumption. It drives better than the new accord, the interior na helele. What the Japs are doing is build a good engine for their vehicles and reduce cost by using copycat interior. their leather seats begin to peel after 3 yrs and every other thing like dashboard etc are cheap quality unlike the VW's, Benz's and Bm's.  Their concept is good because most middle class families wants something cheaper.  Also, most of the things the German auto coys spend money on are not that important to the common man. Nissan is the only Japanese company that tries to tighten their furniture but they are beginning to rescind that decision because it makes their cars a little more expensive than Hondas and Toyotas.

The first thing you should consider when buying a car is passion. Trust me, passion for a vehicle will carry you longer than anything. No used car is perfect. Stay away from 2003 model Honda accord[ the transmission is whack]; stay away from 2002-2003 toyota camry [power steering has serious defects and could freeze while in motion and cause death]. 2008 Honda accord has brake issues and 2008 camry also has transmission errors. Nissan murano is another overpriced piece of sht, just keep a standby money for new transmission if you buy one.

after passion you may consider, utility and other things.  Personally, I think toyotas and Hondas are overpriced. Trust me I have driven up to 10 cars in 5 years alone. If you are not that bouyant, get a Hyundai sonata instead of wasting your savings on Toyotas and Hondas. Those cars are engineered the same way and none is more superior than the other. Toyota and Hondas are selling well because of name. Remember that peugeot use to enjoy that luxury here in Nigeria and people like my father still think peugeot makes the most reliable and durable cars around. It's all about marketing.

1 Like

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Emperoh(m): 8:57am On Jun 15, 2009
Kai who's talking? A4 All the way!!!
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by kshow1(m): 10:03am On Jun 15, 2009
Pal , Go for the A4 has i have always been an admirer of that car.
But am an HONDA person. grin
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 15, 2009
Do you want luxury or just something to drive around.
It's just like choosing between a Camry and a Lexus.
Both cars are made by the same company so i doubt mechanical/faulty issues would be a factor to be considered.
I would personally say choose the A4 for the same reason i'd pick a lexus over any other toyota brand.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

VAG cars are avant-gardish and should not be compared to Hondas and toyotas. The engineering is solid and they drive better however, they cost more to maintain. Audi is in the class of mercedes and BMW, these vehicles cost more to maintain but they are better engineered. My brother owns a 2006 VW passat for about 2 years now, the only thing he has done to it is change the oil. The VW passat beat the so called honda accord[best in gas] in gas consumption. It drives better than the new accord, the interior na helele. What the Japs are doing is build a good engine for their vehicles and reduce cost by using copycat interior. their leather seats begin to peel after 3 yrs and every other thing like dashboard etc are cheap quality unlike the VW's, Benz's and Bm's. Their concept is good because most middle class families wants something cheaper. Also, most of the things the German auto coys spend money on are not that important to the common man. Nissan is the only Japanese company that tries to tighten their furniture but they are beginning to rescind that decision because it makes their cars a little more expensive than Hondas and Toyotas.

The first thing you should consider when buying a car is passion. Trust me, passion for a vehicle will carry you longer than anything. No used car is perfect. Stay away from 2003 model Honda accord[ the transmission is whack]; stay away from 2002-2003 toyota camry [power steering has serious defects and could freeze while in motion and cause death]. 2008 Honda accord has brake issues and 2008 camry also has transmission errors. Nissan murano is another overpriced piece of sht, just keep a standby money for new transmission if you buy one.

after passion you may consider, utility and other things. Personally, I think toyotas and Hondas are overpriced. Trust me I have driven up to 10 cars in 5 years alone. If you are not that bouyant, get a Hyundai sonata instead of wasting your savings on Toyotas and Hondas. Those cars are engineered the same way and none is more superior than the other. Toyota and Hondas are selling well because of name. Remember that peugeot use to enjoy that luxury here in Nigeria and people like my father still think peugeot makes the most reliable and durable cars around. It's all about marketing.

Your analysis is flawed.
Cars are grouped under various levels. Honda,Nissan, and Toyota also have their luxury brands which can stand up to the luxury german machines.
Infiniti by Nissan - The interior can stand up to any other luxury brand
Acura by Honda - Ever been in a TL/
Lexus by Toyota - Need i say more,
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by hackney(m): 1:50pm On Jun 15, 2009
My dear go for the A4; though the 2 models are similar in a number of ways, it seems that the A4 retains more value with time (in case you want to sell Later)

Also Audi is more reputable than Volks (technology innovation wise)
These days the difference between cars is not that much.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 15, 2009
hackney:

My dear go for the A4; though the 2 models are similar in a number of ways, it seems that the A4 retains more value with time (in case you want to sell Later)

Also Audi is more reputable than Volks (technology innovation wise)
These days the difference between cars is not that much.

Change that to "Luxury"
Would you say Lexus is more reputable than Toyota.
I believe VW owns Audi. It's just the luxury division.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by kokoye(m): 4:34pm On Jun 15, 2009
Audi A4 is cool sure enough. But no one here is telling you that it is a high maintenance vehicle.

Put that into consideration.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Tado: 4:58pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ever ride in a Lexus, say ES 330.  grin grin grin You would feel I what I mean. It's got everything, luxury, feels for you pocket, feels for the road, feels for you.  cool cool cool
It's called, 'a lo file lomo lowo'. You go use am so tay, you go leave for you pikin. If you want to.

It's called peace of mind. I have tried both and can tell.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by kajad(m): 5:09pm On Jun 15, 2009
I went to a car show and checked out the two. from looks alone i fell for the A4.
I owned a passat long ago and it was just an ok car i probably will not buy one again.
i drove a honda accord and i think the car is built for good roads which is in short supply in Nigeria.
i dabbled into another VW car Skoda Octovia and i was pleasantly surprised. i still have it.
i m on my second toyota now and i m loving it!
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by AloyEmeka9: 9:04pm On Jun 15, 2009
A-town:

Your analysis is flawed.
Cars are grouped under various levels. Honda,Nissan, and Toyota also have their luxury brands which can stand up to the luxury german machines.
Infiniti by Nissan - The interior can stand up to any other luxury brand
Acura by Honda -  Ever been in a TL/
Lexus by Toyota -  Need i say more,

I was comparing VW passat with her mates, Hondas and toyotas. VW passat presently beat her mates in the quality of the furnitures. You cannot compare signature brands like Infiniti, lexus or acura with VW passat rather, they are in the same league with Audi, Benz and Beamers. Besides, those cars you mentioned above especially Lexus will cost you twice in maintenance than an Audi. Acura is a little cheaper to maintain though but Lexus is a pocket guzzler.
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by promise72(m): 3:12am On Jun 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Lexus is a pocket guzzler.

Whatever happen to the former reasonable Aloy.Emeka? That guy made sense. This "clone" Aloy.Emeka" is baffling me. undecided Lexus a pocket guzzler? My former LS400 gets 20-22 miles per gallon at 100miles/hr for a V8!

Lexus has one of the lowest (if not the lowest) maintenance cost among the luxury cars !

1 Like

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Elgaxton(m): 1:17pm On Jun 17, 2009
Audi A4 anytime
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by lanreajax(m): 4:05pm On Jun 18, 2009
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your taking time to share your views and experiences. I guess I will go for for the Audi a4. For those talking of accord, camry etc- thanks but no thanks. I have used those cars all my life and can vouch for thier reliability and how easy it is for our mechanics to tinker with. However, now I NEED a car that can thrill me. I drove a c- class benz 320 and a bmw3 series and the difference is clear. felt deflated when i went back to my accord.
thx once again
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by sultaan(m): 5:42pm On Jun 19, 2009
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by IBBBB: 5:57pm On Jun 24, 2009
Somebody please help me with a professional mechanic for 04 Wv-passat, I would really appreciate. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Segzy23: 12:03am On Jul 05, 2009
So will people buy an A4 2004/2005 model if the Price is reasonable?
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by lanreajax(m): 5:58pm On Jul 05, 2009
Hi Segzy23 ,
Do you have one for sale? is it a 3.0v6 or 1.8T. Please let me have your contact or call me on 07088581100 or lanreajakaiye"yahoo.com.
Pls call or mail i have decided on the car but havent found one that I like. Also is it a quattro?
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by sultaan(m): 7:45pm On Jul 05, 2009
You may be going in way over your head if you don't know what the quatrro is AWD.You need to now what you are paying millions for otherwise you will taken by mechanics
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by AcceberA: 11:45am On Apr 14, 2012
Less than 200 automobiles are impacted in two individual recall campaigns issued by the Germany-based automaker Volkswagen. The recall campaigns are among the littlest so far in 2012. You can get a [url="http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/volkswagen-recalls/"]to pay for a brand new car.[/url]
Re: Vw Passat Or Audi A4 by Big2bore(m): 11:20pm On Aug 07, 2013
IBBBB: Somebody please help me with a professional mechanic for 04 Wv-passat, I would really appreciate. Cheers

Call this guy, is name is Tunde is ♍Ɣ mechanic on ‎08059648757 tell him from Bosun

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Toyota As Reliable As Nigerians Make It Seem. / Ogun State: This Is How Much I Bought Petrol For Today. / The New 2019 Ford Edge Unveiled In Nigeria By Coscharis Motors (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.