Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,582 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 PM

HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. (40394 Views)

"Please Piss Here, Ogun Needs It": Hilarious Inscription On A Fence In Jos! / Shocking Warnings On A Gate In FCT / What Is The Best Way To Build A Fence On This Marshy Land? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 4:30pm On Dec 31, 2015
Maximum respect to spyder880, his threads here on property section of Nairaland really gingered me up to go into this fencing project. Am just here to share my experience and to give a breakdown of how I was able to carry out the project so that people out there who have such project will be well informed before starting up.

ANALYSIS OF A FENCING PROJECT CARRIED OUT IN ANAMBRA STATE.
Location of the plot: Awka, Anambra State
Plot Size: 60ft. by 100ft approximately 18m by 30m {The fencing will cover just 3walls as 1 of the walls which I share with a neighboring plot has already been erected so am focusing on the remaining 3. which is 201ft(96ft + 60ft + 45ft) if we exclude the 100ft that has already been covered and the 15ft mapped out for erecting of gate.
Time frame: 2 to 3weeks( 12 days of activities)

LIST OF ALL EXPENSES:
1. Labour =>. #148,000 naira
2. Development fee => #200,000 naira
3. Gate => #170,000 naira
4. 6"inches solid Blocks(#130 * 1500pieces) *though we had abt 500blocks previously in the site, so total should be 2000 blocks or less=> #195,000 naira
5. White sand(2 trips @13,000 each). => #26,000 naira
6. Cement (45 bags @ 1500 each) => #67,500 naira
7. Water (3tanks of 500liters @ 2500 each) => #7,500 naira
8. Transportation and Misc. Expenses => #25,500 naira
9. Gate column construction materials => #49,600 naira

Total Expenditure => #889,100 naira.

I will still give a breakdown of the day to day activities and the different stages of work carried out in the site.

*Note: Development fee is a fee imposed by the community where the site is situated, that before any development is carried out, land owners must pay the annoying sum of 200,000 naira to the community or else they will come around on daily basis to disturb the work which will lead to more expenses and damages... this particular fee delayed the project for 1 whole month as we tried to see if we can negotiate with the community,... all to no avail. They charge the highest development fee in the state. Its so annoying I hope the state government will do something about it... I just don't want to mention the community.. But I don't see why developers should be ripped off for no just course all in the name of development fee/levy. So it might not necessarily be the case in your own area but you just have to make inquiries first before starting the project because those youths are quite destructive when they re not being settled.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by johnson232: 4:55pm On Dec 31, 2015
God will give u the resources to complete this project...

how many coach is the fence sir?
are blocks for pillar also included in the 1500 blocks?

1 Like

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by whirlwind7(m): 5:28pm On Dec 31, 2015
Kennycyphers:
Maximum respect to spyder880, his threads here on property section of Nairaland really gingered me up to go into this fencing project. Am just here to share my experience and to give a breakdown of how I was able to carry out the project so that people out there who have such project will be well informed before starting up.
ANALYSIS OF A FENCING PROJECT CARRIED OUT IN ANAMBRA STATE.
Location of the plot: Awka, Anambra State
Plot Size: 60ft. by 100ft approximately 18m by 30m {The fencing will cover just 3walls as 1 of the walls which I share with a neighboring plot has already been erected so am focusing on the remaining 3. which is 201ft(96ft + 60ft + 45ft) if we exclude the 100ft that has already been covered and the 15ft mapped out for erecting of gate.
Time frame: 2 to 3weeks( 12 days of activities)
LIST OF ALL EXPENSES:
1. Labour =>. #148,000 naira
2. Development fee => #200,000 naira
3. Gate => #170,000 naira
4. 6"inches solid Blocks(#130 * 1500pieces) => #195,000 naira
5. White sand(2 trips @13,000 each). => #26,000 naira
6. Cement (45 bags @ 1500 each) => #67,500 naira
7. Water (3tanks of 500liters @ 2500 each) => #7,500 naira
8. Transportation and Misc. Expenses => #25,500 naira
9. Gate column construction materials => #49,600 naira
Total Expenditure => #889,100 naira.
I will still give a breakdown of the day to day activities and the different stages of work carried out in the site.
*Note: Development fee is a fee imposed by the community where the site is situated, that before any development is carried out, land owners must pay the annoying sum of 200,000 naira to the community or else they will come around on daily basis to disturb the work which will lead to more expenses and damages... this particular fee delayed the project for 1 whole month as we tried to see if we can negotiate with the community,... all to no avail. They charge the highest development fee in the state. Its so annoying I hope the state government will do something about it... I just don't want to mention the community.. But I don't see why developers should be ripped off for no just course all in the name of development fee/levy. So it might not necessarily be the case in your own area but you just have to make inquiries first before starting the project because those youths are quite destructive when they re not being settled.

I commend you for sharing your experience and expenses incurred for this project. I also would like to know how many coaches were constructed.

Now, why wouldn't you want to mention the said community? I see nothing wrong in doing so. Everyone knows that development fees are usually demanded almost everywhere, but 200k is rather too high. Please, I want to know what community. I am hoping to acquire plots within Awka, especially around Ebenebe.

Keep rising!

2 Likes

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 6:52pm On Dec 31, 2015
johnson232:
God will give u the resources to complete this project...

how many coach is the fence sir?
are blocks for pillar also included in the 1500 blocks?

Amen bro.
Its 10coaches of block.... and yes blocks for pillars are included... and sorry... there would be need for me to make adjustment to the block estimation above cos we had some blocks remaining in the site before we started laying the blocks... about 500 blocks... so block estimation should be about 2000blocks.
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 6:57pm On Dec 31, 2015
whirlwind7:

I commend you for sharing your experience and expenses incurred for this project. I also would like to know how many coaches were constructed.

Now, why wouldn't you want to mention the said community? I see nothing wrong in doing so. Everyone knows that development fees are usually demanded almost everywhere, but 200k is rather too high. Please, I want to know what community. I am hoping to acquire plots within Awka, especially around Ebenebe.

Keep rising!

Thanks bro. Its 10coaches above dpc.
Ok. The Community am talking about is Okochi-Ime in Okpuno Awka.
I don't really know much about Ebenebe. More grease to your elbow... Happy new year in advance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 7:36pm On Dec 31, 2015
Constructing a fence is not rocket science if you are free you can decide to do supervision by yourself, all you need is a little knowledge on how to carry out the activities and how to get workers(masons) that are reliable.

I will post the estimation here in my next post.
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by johnson232: 7:57pm On Dec 31, 2015
Kennycyphers:

Amen bro.
Its 10coaches of block.... and yes blocks for pillars are included... and sorry... there would be need for me to make adjustment to the block estimation above cos we had some blocks remaining in the site before we started laying the blocks... about 500 blocks... so block estimation should be about 2000blocks.
okay sir...
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 10:53pm On Dec 31, 2015
Estimations made before we embarked on the Project:
1. Excavation - 9,000
2. 1,900 blocks * 140 - 247,000
3. Development Fee - 200,000
4. 30bags of cement for block laying @1500 - 45,000
5. 2trips of Sand @15000 - 30,000
6. 30 bags of cement for all casting - 45,000
7. Placing of blocks @#30 * 1900 - 57,000
8. Helper to masons (15 days * 2500) - 37,500
9. Concrete casting - 18,000
10. Mason dressing of concrete in foundation - 7000
11. Gate column 3lengths of 16mm rod @2,200 - 6,600
12. 8mm 5 lengths for d steel ropes @800 - 4000
13. Binding Wire half role - 2000
14. Planks 25pieces @1000 - 25000
15. Purline 20lengths 2 by 2 by 12 @600 - 12000
16. 2 by 3 by 12 * 20pieces @250 - 2,500
17. Carpenter - 10,000
18. Iron bender - 5,000
19. Excavation of Gate column bases - 2000
20. 12mm 4lengths @ 1300 - 5200
21. Nails 3inches (12lbs pounds weight) - 1,500
22. Water - 6 * 2500 - 15000
23. backfilling of foundation - 4000
24. Gate - 150,000
25. Transporting gate - 10,000
26. Transport to site & Misc. - 50,000

Sum Total => 979,340 naira.

*Note that this is just a rough estimate so some of the amounts re estimated to see if it will agree with the budget. Building materials prices rise and falls so the estimation is prepared to cover for that.

#moretocome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 7:23pm On Jan 01, 2016
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT ON DAY 1
The activity carried out on the 1st day is Excavation and cutting of the earth using a dimension of 2ft by 2ft height by width. This was dug in the perimeters of the three remaining walls as my neighbour has already covered 1 part. The excavation is usually dug in partitions of 12 feet each. Each partition is charged @ #700 naira each. I had to call 2 labourers to make the work faster. In our own case, we had about 18partitions and we bargained with the labourers @ the rate of #500 naira, so the amount charged was #9,000 naira. The labourers started as early as 8a.m in the morning and finished by some minutes past 6pm.. we marked out 15ft for erecting of gate so we didn't dug that side.

Below are some pics taken on the first day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by whirlwind7(m): 7:28pm On Jan 01, 2016
This shows the land is on a slope.

1 Like

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 3:56pm On Jan 02, 2016
whirlwind7:
This shows the land is on a slope.

yea... we had to put steps with regards to that.
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 9:10pm On Jan 02, 2016
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT ON DAY 2
On the second day of this project, we had to progress into casting of the base. First we had to make available the required building materials such as water, cement, sand, and stones... we already have all these in the site. About 5 labourers and 1 mason were called on to perform the casting of the foundation. The aggregate used is 12head pans each of stones and sand to serve 1 bag of cement with water to mix them together. The mason was in charge of dressing the foundation while the labourers mixed and transported the mixture to the mason. The mason was paid 3,000 naira for daily pay service while the labourers were paid 500 naira for each bag of cement mixed. The casting of the foundation exhausted 15bags of cement. A labourer was also paid to clear the bushy part of the site.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 6:47pm On Jan 11, 2016
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT ON DAY 3
The activities carried out in the 3rd day was mainly laying of blocks from foundation level to the floor level. We made use of 3 masons and 3 labourers to help them in placing, mixing aggregate and serving blocks. The masons placed the blocks in appropriate order while the servers/labourers mixed the aggregate and then served the masons and also provide them with blocks. we used about 488 blocks. we bought 10bags of cement to join the remaining 3 from the previous day. At the end of the day, 5 bags was left behind. The laying of blocks involves aligning blocks straight in line with the beacon numbers in partitions of 12feet each. The foundation ate about 2-3 coaches of block level. The placing of blocks was charged @ 30 naira per block because we used the "counting" system of payment.. The labourers were paid 2000 naira each.

1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by johnson232: 8:23pm On Jan 11, 2016
Kennycyphers:
h CARRIED OUT ON DAY 3
The activities carried out in the 3rd day was mainly laying of blocks from foundation level to dpc.The labourers were paid 2000 naira each.
Nice analysis sir...
Is Dpc also required for fencing sir? Or u just used that to get a particular level?

Were each Labour paid 2000 naira or the mansions fee is also included in the 2k?

And why are the pillars one sided sir?
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 10:26pm On Jan 11, 2016
johnson232:

Nice analysis sir...
Is Dpc also required for fencing sir? Or u just used that to get a particular level?

Were each Labour paid 2000 naira or the mansions fee is also included in the 2k?

And why are the pillars one sided sir?

yes
yea each labourer was paid 2000 naira i.e 6000 naira for the 3 labourers. Masons re paid separately based on the number of blocks dey lay @ the close of work. fore instance if 1 of the masons laid 300blocks @ the close of work, 300 * 30 naira per block = 9000 naira. His pay would be 9000 naira using counting method of payment.

about The pillars, I was having an issue with my neighbor about encroachment so I had to place the pillars inside my own plot to avoid trouble.
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by johnson232: 10:52pm On Jan 11, 2016
Kennycyphers:

yes
yea each labourer was paid 2000 naira i.e 6000 naira for the 3 labourers. Masons re paid separately based on the number of blocks dey lay @ the close of work. fore instance if 1 of the masons laid 300blocks @ the close of work, 300 * 30 naira per block = 9000 naira. His pay would be 9000 naira using counting method of payment.

about The pillars, I was having an issue with my neighbor about encroachment so I had to place the pillars inside my own plot to avoid trouble.
your neighbour sha...
what will that take from his land?
are both of u not going to be using the same fence?
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 5:42am On Jan 12, 2016
johnson232:

your neighbour sha...
what will that take from his land?
are both of u not going to be using the same fence?

You know some people get plenty wahala.. He's an indigene in the area... I just don't want their trouble..
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 3:47pm On Jan 27, 2016
ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT FROM DAY 4 TO DAY 7.

The same set of activities were carried out on these days; laying of blocks and provision of materials needed for the construction to progress.. The wall is meant to have about 9 to 10 coaches of block. We bought blocks but I found out it is far more better to mold blocks on your own if u have the time, the resources and the space because most of these guys that sell blocks re cheats... some don't add up to the required aggregate that will make the block solid in order to withstand pressure and u find out that most times the blocks break on site while trying to lift them up. The construction continued with the 3 labourers and 3 Masons till towards the 6th and 7th day when we had to discharge some of them to save cost since the workload was gradually reducing. The dug out was filled up by 1 of the labourers and we bought planks so that the masons can climb on them together with blocks piled up (Scaffolds) so as to be able to work on heights as they reach towards the 7th to 8th coach..

The pictures of the activities re shown below:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 3:16pm On Jun 19, 2016
Activities Carried Out on the 8th Day:
Paid the sum of 200,000 naira for a heavy mighty gate that was being constructed for the enclosure. The gate was produced with Chaka plate.. during my survey, I found out that most cheaper gate I see at the rate of 60,000 naira to 150,000 naira are lighter and sophisticated. They might not really stand the test of time. I wanted to go for Quality and I really got the quality I deserved. Transporting the gate to the site demanded a lot of work. I had to look for labourers of about 6 persons to transport the gate to the site.

You can see the gate below:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 3:39pm On Jun 19, 2016
On the 10th day, We bought the materials required to construct the columns that will support the Giant gate. The materials bought include;
1. Rods and Roll wire
2. Planks
3. Nails, etc

On the 11th day, We contacted an Iron Bender to help in cutting and bending the rods we bought. We also employed labourers to excavate 2feet by 2feet each for the gate column, it was also casted afterwards. the rods were hanged and allowed to get set for hanging of the gate the next day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 3:59pm On Jun 19, 2016
CONSTRUCTION OF THE COLUMN AND BASKET
The column is made of 16mm and 12mm rods. The 16mm was 3 and was cut into 4metres each to give 12 rods. Each of the rods was cut into 3 equal parts both 12mm and 16mm. Then it was bent 150mm i.e 6inches to be aligned with the basket.
The 8mm rod was used in conjunction with the binding wire to form a column. The spacing given is 250 to 300 mm from each ring.

CONSTRUCTING THE BASKET
We made use of 12mm rod. the 12mm rod was cut into 1mm each for the basket, out of which 2 or 3 inches would be bent. the spacing should be about 150mm or 200mm as the case maybe. the total size would be 900mm. the total broken 12mm rods used should be 12. 6 placed horizontally and 6 placed vertically.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 4:11pm On Jun 19, 2016
On the 12th Day, the Gate was hanged through the help of a carpenter we contracted to carry out the work.. He constructed the framework and then with the help of 7 persons, we were able to hanged the strong, durable and heavy gate. before aggregate was poured to form the column. Afterwards, the gate was left for 3 weeks to Set before we came back to remove the planks used to support and form the columns.

AND THAT BRINGS TO THE END OF THE PROJECT.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by whirlwind7(m): 9:08am On Jun 20, 2016
Kennycyphers:

AND THAT BRINGS TO THE END OF THE PROJECT.

Congratulations, bro.

3 Likes

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Kennycyphers(m): 1:25pm On Jun 20, 2016
whirlwind7:

Congratulations, bro.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by epropertymaster(m): 1:42pm On Jun 20, 2016
Are you a bricklayer of construction engineer?
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by afreekah: 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2016
Kennycyphers:

Is it okay like that? Some people sha !
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by mufutau55(m): 6:14pm On Jun 20, 2016
Kennycyphers:

And Yes. That is how it's supposed to be done, inside your plot ... encroachment should not be promoted...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by badaoyeyemi(f): 6:48am On Jun 21, 2016

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Dsrooftiles: 6:49am On Jun 21, 2016
Seen

Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by OLUJOSHINS(m): 6:51am On Jun 21, 2016
smiley
Re: HOW TO CONSTRUCT A FENCE WITH GATE IN YOUR PROPERTY. by Project400: 6:51am On Jun 21, 2016
...well done!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Check Out "The Slice Of House" That Got Nigerians Laughing Hard / Planning Relocation Because Of Armed Robbers / What Is The Worst Experience You've Ever Had With A Bad Room-Mate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.