Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,985 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? (37725 Views)

Continuous Detention Of Dasuki, Kanu, Others Wicked, Barbaric – Fani Kayode / Abuja: Igbos Flout Biafra Sit-At-Home Order / Soldiers Seek Trial Of Okonjo-Iweala And Dasuki Over Arms Deal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2015
Since the pronouncement of Buhari justifying Nnamdi Kanu and Sambo Dasuki's detention, some people have gone public to abuse the President and seeking to score cheap point. Has Buhari or DSS really violated the law in Kanu and Dasuki's trial?

On Nnamdi Kanu's Continuous Detention
Firstly, I want to make some clarification. At no time did any court "free or clear" Mr Nnamdi Kanu of any charge against him. What Justice Ademola of the FHC(Abuja) did was to vacate the order it first granted to DSS to detain Kanu for three months. The court vacated the order on the ground that it was unconstitutional to hold a suspect in detention for more than three months without charging such suspect to court. In the words of the learned judge;

"From the available facts before the court, it is clear that the DSS either enough materials to prosecute the applicant in a law court or yet to make up their mind on prosecution.

"Constitution remains the supreme law. It does not permit detention of a Nigerian citizen for a period spanning over two months without charging the citizen before the law court. This court has the duty to protect the constitution and one of the duties is to admit a citizen of this country on bail when his right to freedom is being violated,"
www.thisdaylive.com/articles/biafra-court-grants-nnamdi-kanu-unconditional-bail/228233/

What the DSS simply did was to detain Kanu and file case in court on charges that borders on treason. In other words, Kanu is no longer being detained without trial as it was before. It is left for him to argue his innocence with the judge. If the DSS had breached the court ruling, the judge would have summoned them for contempt.

Did Kanu Really Commit Treason?
What constitute treason in Nigeria? The offence of treason can be found in sections 37 to 49 of the Nigeria criminal code.

According to section 37(1) of the Nigeria criminal code; Any person who levies war against the State, in order to intimidate or overawe the President or the Governor of a State, is guilty of treason, and is liable to the punishment of death. Section 37(2) further stated that Any person conspiring
with any person, either within or without Nigeria, to levy war against the State with intent to cause such levying of war as would be treason if committed by a citizen of Nigeria, is guilty of treason and is liable to the punishment of death:

Through radio biafra, Kanu preached inciting messages and even went as far as soliciting for arms with intent to wage war against the State. This was captured in a video that has gone viral. I think that breached section 37(2) of Nigeria criminal code(in my opinion). It is however left for the judge to make pronouncement.

310 Likes 40 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:40pm On Dec 31, 2015
On Colonel Sambo Dasuki...
Did the DSS contravene any law or disobeyed the court by re-arresting Sambo Dasuki? I don't think so. The Court judgement of December 21 granted Sambo Dasuki and others bail in a N9billion fraud case. Though Dasuki and others were released from prison after meeting bail condition, he was re-arrested after stepping out of prison.

We have to note that the bail was respected by the DSS but unfortunately for him(Dasuki), the judgement of the court didn't grant him any immunity from further arrest. Hence, the government committed no offence in re-arresting him. But why is he even looking for bail when he should be more concerned with clearing his name as regards the $2.2billion arms fund that he allegedly looted with his friends? Why should a "big thief" be using bail to walk free while a poor man languish in prison for years on "awaiting-trial"? I think the government should be encouraged to re-arrest him each time he's granted bail.

I don't believe in abuse of the law but I believe that people should be encouraged to keep off from crimes while the government must be encouraged to fight alleged criminals with the law irrespective of who the perpetrator is.

It is my opinion that Messrs Kanu, Dasuki and others should prepare their defence and prove their innocence before the judge.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria
Happy New Year 2016

431 Likes 48 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by drss(m): 9:44pm On Dec 31, 2015
duara man need anger management...
Modified: op's write up is a paid article. but wetin concern me.

How can dis article explain d rational behind d continued detention of Kanu despite federal high court judgement how can dis article explain d massacre of shiites n d brutal attack of its leader who's where abouts is unknown
how can dis article absolved buari from libel by assuming himself as d prosecutor n a judge
how can dis article explain d rational behind d arrest of dopkesi on d charges of accepting moni from dasuki (for a contract which he dully executed) when femi adesina, who is d current media adviser to bauri, also collected moni from same dasuki when he was editior of sun news papers is dis not selective justice

93 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Eshinwaju: 9:45pm On Dec 31, 2015
Only a mischievous person would disagree with your points...it is clear that Kanus new charges of treasonable felony have not yet been heard...in other words...it's premature to accuse the government of disobeying the courts... angry

152 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:46pm On Dec 31, 2015
drss:
duara man need anger management...
I think you should spend few minutes to read the thread

145 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Amitex(m): 9:49pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
Since the pronouncement of Buhari justifying Nnamdi Kanu and Sambo Dasuki's detention, some people have gone public to abuse the President and seeking to score cheap point. Has Buhari or DSS really violated the law in Kanu and Dasuki's trial?

Firstly, I want to make some clarification. At no time did any court "free or clear" Mr Nnamdi Kanu of any charge against him. What Justice Ademola of the FHC(Abuja) did was to vacate the order it first granted to DSS to detain Kanu for three months. The court vacated the order on the ground that it was unconstitutional to hold a suspect in detention for more than three months without charging such suspect to court. In the words of the learned judge;

What the DSS simply did was to detain Kanu and file case in court on charges that borders on treason. In other words, Kanu is no longer being detained without trial as it was before. It is left for him to argue his innocence with the judge. If the DSS had breached the court ruling, the judge would have summoned them for contempt.

What constitute treason in Nigeria? The offence of treason can be found in sections 37 to 49 of the Nigeria criminal code.

According to section 37(1) of the Nigeria criminal code; Any person who levies war against the State, in order to intimidate or overawe the President or the Governor of a State, is guilty of treason, and is liable to the punishment of death. Section 37(2) further stated that Any person conspiring
with any person, either within or without Nigeria, to levy war against the State with intent to cause such levying of war as would be treason if committed by a citizen of Nigeria, is guilty of treason and is liable to the punishment of death:

Through radio biafra, Kanu preached inciting messages and even went as far as soliciting for arms with intent to wage war against the State. This was captured in a video that has gone viral. I think that breached section 37(2) of Nigeria criminal code(in my opinion). It is however left for the judge to make pronouncement.

@ Barca, was there really any difference between Radio Chanji, Radio Kudirat and Radio Biafra
I remembered that some people also promised to form a parrllel government. Just wondering if we have different laws for different people or are we being hypocritical with the TRUTH

211 Likes 24 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by ClassCaptain(m): 9:50pm On Dec 31, 2015
I quite agree with Tonye here....

Section 37(2) of the 1999 constitution as amended says it all..

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Tolexander: 9:51pm On Dec 31, 2015
Detention of the Dilector of IPOD is universally justified.

I thought some of his supporters here were saying he is brave and were beating the chest that no one would dare touch him if he comes to the Zoo. Here is he being detained in the net.

Continuous rearrest of Father Xmas is also justified.

97 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:51pm On Dec 31, 2015
Eshinwaju:
Only a mischievous person would disagree with your points...it is clear that Kanus new charges of treasonable felony have not yet been heard...in other words...it's premature to accuse the government of disobeying the courts... angry
In my opinion, people should stop heating the polity and compounding the problem of Mr Nnamdi Kanu. Instead, they should seek to obtain pardon for the youngman from the government. Kanu's alleged offence is grave.

71 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 31, 2015
I have come to realise that the so called enlighten Nigerians choose to read and hear whatever suites them, i have seen mischivious elements in the mainstream manipulate contents with total unconnected headlines.

I have always wondered if there is a law that says a suspect can't be rearrested for fresh charges after bail

God bless the OP for this piece. Happy new year Nigerians.

165 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by babyfaceafrica: 9:59pm On Dec 31, 2015
Barca...u dey try o...dis biafrans and ipod hate PMB...they will never see any good in anything he is doing!!!......your salient points are noted..but will be wailing biafrans agree?!!!!!!!

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by CaaseStudy: 10:00pm On Dec 31, 2015
I see you have a personal vendetta with
this kanu issue hence you are always quick to defend illegality hiding under the veil of rationality and correctness to ease your anger and loathe for kanu.
Please what can u say in the case of
Radio kudirat,Lawal Kaita,Oba akiolu, junaid mohammed and other northern elements who have voiced more outragoeus and treasonable comments than this kanu you so wish to go
down. Are this persons i mentioned more Nigerian than Kanu. Why is he singled out even when there are video evidences and documented records of the provocative and
divisive comments by this other Nigerians. What were your positions then. Even our current presido was known to have made greater inciting comments leading to the death of hundreds post 2011 elections, why wasnt he charged for treason. Its well with Nigeria

Happy new year all. Wishing you the best 2016 has to offer

114 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2015
Amitex:

@ Barca, was there really any difference between Radio Chanji, Radio Kudirat and Radio Biafra
I remembered that some people also promised to form a parrllel government. Just wondering if we have different laws for different people or are we being hypocritical with the TRUTH
Radio Kudirat was promoting democracy calling for the illegal government of Abacha to step aside and handover to the elected MKO Abiola.

Radio Chanji: Honestly I didn't listen to their broadcast. Please you may enlighten me.

Parallel government statement was inciteful but treasonable? I don't think so.

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by omenka(m): 10:02pm On Dec 31, 2015
Obiagelli:
I have come to realise that the so called enlighten Nigeria choose to read and hear whatever suites them, i have seen mischivious elements in the mainstream manipulate contents with total unconnected headlines.

I have always wondered if there is a law that says a suspect can't be rearrested for fresh charges after bail

God bless the OP for this piece. Happy new year Nigerians.

You and Sweetlemon though. Whatever happened to your fire?? Can't believe your moniker still lives.

Happy new year to you. Missed your punchlines pretty much.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by ritababe(f): 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2015
Am coming
Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by dat9jaguy(m): 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2015
Amitex:

What stopped the government at that time from taking action against such organisations .
Allow this government fight its own battles.

82 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by StunningCEO: 10:04pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

In my opinion, people should stop heating the polity and compounding the problem of Mr Nnamdi Kanu. Instead, they should seek to obtain pardon for the youngman from the government. Kanu's alleged offence is grave.

We warned them many times but they refused...the truth is that Kanu will be tried in court...and given the evidence...he will likely be convicted and sentenced to death...however at this point... angry...people will step in and the government might commute it to life in prison...this is the best case scenario for the dumb man...he just ruined his life for nothing... angrymuumuu leading muumuu... grin

107 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by dejonathan(f): 10:10pm On Dec 31, 2015
Nice Write Up....I Dont Tink Anyone With Common Sense Will Disagree Wit Dis.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by drss(m): 10:11pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

nobody is heating any polity but d duara man himself. Does buari have evidence dat kanu engaged in terrorism like shekau (buari's friend) Evidence is wat d courts use to detarmine their case. It was because of lack of evidence dat made federal high court threw out d charges leveled against kanu. Buari is doing nothing but vendetta.
wait n see, all dis so call terrorism charges releveled against kanu will be dismissed by d courts as baseless.

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by MhizterWalker(m): 10:13pm On Dec 31, 2015
@Tonybarcanista. Ar u a lawyer or a judge? How a can you call Dasuki a "big thief" when a competent court of law have not yet found him guilty. Please be careful., and in another development how can you say mr Nnamdi Kanu was begging for arms to wage war against Nigeria. Do u have evidence of that? Again please make proper research and come up with facts and figures here, so that u don't mislead anybody here. Thanks and hope u understand.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 31, 2015
omenka:
You and Sweetlemon though. Whatever happen to your fire?? Can't believe your moniker still lives.

Happy new year to you. Missed your punchlines pretty much.
Just sneaked in an hour ago to see my favorite people, missed you too bro.

That fire will be back soon, had to focus my energy on other things. Thumbs up to you, passingshot, beremx, modath and the other for keeping the debate alive.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by LordMecuzy(m): 10:16pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

Well Said

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by drss(m): 10:16pm On Dec 31, 2015
CaaseStudy:
I see you have a personal vendetta with
this kanu issue hence you are always quick to defend
illegality hiding under the veil of rationality and correctness
just to ease your anger and loathe for kanu. Please what can
u say in the case of radio kudirat, Oba akiolu, junaid mohammed and
other northern elements who have voiced more outragoeus
and treasonable comments than this kanu you so wish to go
down. Are this persons i mentioned more Nigerian than
Kanu. Why is he be singled out even when there are video
evidences and documented records of the provocative and
divisive comments by this other Nigerians. What were your position then
correct talk. if buari dullard is basing d continued detention of kanu on wat he said on radio, who will arrest buari for threatening peace n security by saying dis: ''baboons n dogs will soak in blood'' Is dat not a treasonable crime

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by LordMecuzy(m): 10:19pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:
On Colonel Sambo Dasuki...
Did the DSS contravene any law or disobeyed the court by re-arresting Sambo Dasuki? I don't think so. The Court judgement of December 21 granted Sambo Dasuki and others bail in a N9billion fraud case. Though Dasuki and others were released from prison after meeting bail condition, he was re-arrested after stepping out of prison.

We have to note that the bail was respected by the DSS but unfortunately for him(Dasuki), the judgement of the court didn't grant him any immunity from further arrest. Hence, the government committed no offence in re-arresting him. But why is he even looking for bail when he should be more concerned with clearing his name as regards the $2.2billion arms fund that he allegedly looted with his friends? Why should a "big thief" be using bail to walk free while a poor man languish in prison for years on "awaiting-trial"? I think the government should be encouraged to re-arrest him each time he's granted bail.

I don't believe in abuse of the law but I believe that people should be encouraged to keep off from crimes while the government must be encouraged to fight alleged criminals with the law irrespective of who the perpetrator is.

It is my opinion that Messrs Kanu, Dasuki and others should prepare their defence and prove their innocence before the judge.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria
Happy New Year 2016

Nice Write up. Same 2u

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by kestolove95(m): 10:19pm On Dec 31, 2015
Buhari shud kill dasuki nd free anamdi kanu..na small pikin dey wori am nd buhari as a father shud forgv him

8 Likes

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by drss(m): 10:19pm On Dec 31, 2015
MhizterWalker:
@Tonybarcanista. Ar u a lawyer or a judge? How a can you call Dasuki a "big thief" when a competent court of law have not yet found him guilty. Please be careful., and in another development how can you say mr Nnamdi Kanu was begging for arms to wage war against Nigeria. Do u have evidence of that? Again please make proper research and come up with facts and figures here, so that u don't mislead anybody here. Thanks and hope u understand.
i wonder o! same persin way wan sound like lawyer dey call somebody thief even when d court of law has not declared him guilty yet.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:21pm On Dec 31, 2015
I am beginning to like this Tony, and I dnt like that. I want him to continue talking trash and bringing on senseless arguments like the wailers.

but now that he is making sense, I am forced to like his way of analysis.

tell the wailers, pulease!

68 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by obailala(m): 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2015
TonyeBarcanista:

God bless you Barcanista.... I have been wondering whether I was really the crazy one when I raised this question to a friend recently. What law has the FG through the DSS broken by charging these suspects for other crimes and rearresting them after their release?

Is it that Nigerians are just illiterate to understand these elementary things or is it emotions that has eroded the ability to reason straight?.... The only problem I have is the inability of the governement to communicate properly with the nation on these issues especially from the legal angle. Sometimes I wonder what the job of the presidential spokespersons, the minister of information, the DSS and EFCC spokespersons and the ministry of justice spokespersons are.

Lalasticlala, Seun, it would be nice if a larger audience gets to see and reason this issue from a different angle.

39 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by vedaxcool(m): 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2015
grin grin Washington post has been acting like santasuki activists who are bent on freeing and clearing him of wrong doing.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by drss(m): 10:23pm On Dec 31, 2015
StunningCEO:

We warned them many times but they refused...the truth is that Kanu will be tried in court...and given the evidence...he will likely be convicted and sentenced to death...however at this point... angry...people will step in and the government might commute it to life in prison...this is the best case scenario for the dumb man...he just ruined his life for nothing... angrymuumuu leading muumuu... grin
quoting u for future reference.

2 Likes

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 31, 2015
I think the government should be encouraged to re-arrest him each time he's granted bail.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Continuous Detention Of Nnamdi Kanu And Dasuki: Did FG Flout Any Law? by vedaxcool(m): 10:30pm On Dec 31, 2015
MhizterWalker:

....but calling Buhari a terrorist does makes ipoke and mumundi kanu lawyers and judges?

27 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Bode George Wins Polling Unit For LP Candidate / Edo Decides: Obaseki (APC) Won The Debates-Channels tv polls & nations Newspaper / What Tony Blair And I Discussed - Bola Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.