Stats: 3,148,455 members, 7,801,126 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 11:16 AM

3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 (40623 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Common English Errors We Make During Conversation / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 3:45am On Jan 01, 2016
These errors are very common with people on social media and it speaks a lot about one's understanding of English language. It also reveals how lazy, careless and negligent one can be. Correcting this error in 2016 is actually a step on the right path.

The first one is using the word "common" instead of "come on". These 2 words mean 2 different things and shouldn't be used interchangeably.

Common means occurring, found, or done often; prevalent. or could mean showing a lack of taste and refinement; vulgar. while "come on" is a phrase that could mean hurry up, buckle up, start... I guess you get the drill

The 2nd is using "loose" instead of "lose". I see a lot of people use "loose" when they want to refer to a team being defeated. It is wrong. The right word to use when your team is defeated is "lose", while to untie something or make free of something is "loose"

The 3rd is using the word "your" instead of "you're". Your is possessive. It is used when referring to a second person's attribute or possession i.e belonging to or associated with any person in general. For example "That is your bag" while You're is the same as "you are" and it is referring to a second person. An example is "You're very good at playing soccer".

I hope we will start making efforts not to make this common mistakes in 2016. Happy New Year again everyone.

Source : http://naijavariety.com/2016/01/01/3-english-errors-you-shouldnt-be-making-in-2016/

Lalasticlala, ishilove seun obynoscope mynd44 ijebabe please move to front page so people can learn from this

84 Likes 12 Shares

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 3:51am On Jan 01, 2016
I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!

21 Likes

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 3:56am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!
Chicagoesontop:

Thank you. I just want a saner grammar environment.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by CountDracula(m): 4:02am On Jan 01, 2016
4th is using "who" instead of "whom" web.ku.edu/~edit/whom.html

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by tempem: 4:05am On Jan 01, 2016
Great! I used to be guilty of number one...
Timely, sir.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 4:06am On Jan 01, 2016
CountDracula:
4th is using "who" instead of "whom"

True. Thank you. You are very right.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Lolaabokoku(f): 4:07am On Jan 01, 2016
Happy new year every1.. Am so happy to see u all in 2016

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 4:09am On Jan 01, 2016
Lolaabokoku:
Happy new year every1.. Am so happy to see u all in 2016

Happy new year to you too. Even though some of us are still about 4 hours before new year.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Dreyl(m): 6:47am On Jan 01, 2016
Nice

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 7:19am On Jan 01, 2016
Dreyl:
Nice

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by hatux: 8:00am On Jan 01, 2016
Well, ain't guilty of any... Nice though!

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by charlesikhalea(m): 8:02am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

Oga Grammarian, its " I love people who KNOW how to use english"....... Before we correct people let us make sure we know what we re talking about... Thank u

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by omusiliyu(m): 8:31am On Jan 01, 2016
[size=28pt] Am and I'm[/size]

Let blame social networks for that

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

Gbagaun gbagaun.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 01, 2016
Been vs Being. So many guilty of this error on Nigerian social media.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Sunnycliff(m): 8:33am On Jan 01, 2016
Its a disgrace to keep making such errors after graduating from secondary school not to mention the ivory tower! It need not be mentioned twice I the ears
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by DICKtator: 8:33am On Jan 01, 2016
Nansense!!!!!

Common!! Man your not making any sense with this post.

I would suggested you found something doing and lose yourself in it instead of these poo you typed!!!!

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by officialteemi(m): 8:33am On Jan 01, 2016
happy new year and a happybirthday to me...show some love.....click like

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by lordsharks(m): 8:33am On Jan 01, 2016
Noted sir

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Growingboi(m): 8:34am On Jan 01, 2016

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Kreamie(m): 8:34am On Jan 01, 2016
This wrongful use of English words cannot be overemphasized!!!! You see young ones; especially facebook users using the words interchangeably like it's right..Especially 'there' and 'their'..It's so common these days like I don't even get it...I think it all boils down to the fact that almost everyone abbreviates these days and then the proper use of words continue to be in the decline with the advent of smartphones undecided undecided

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 8:34am On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:

Happy new year to you too. Even though some of us are still about 4 hours before new year.

You're living in the past. lol

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by maestroz: 8:34am On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:
These errors are very common with people on social media and it speaks a lot about one's understanding of English language. It also reveals how lazy, careless and negligent one can be. Correcting this error in 2016 is actually a step on the right path.

The first one is using the word "common" instead of "come on". These 2 words mean 2 different things and shouldn't be used interchangeably.

Common means occurring, found, or done often; prevalent. or could mean showing a lack of taste and refinement; vulgar. while "come on" is a phrase that could mean hurry up, buckle up, start... I guess you get the drill

The 2nd is using "loose" instead of "lose". I see a lot of people use "loose" when they want to refer to a team being defeated. It is wrong. The right word to use when your team is defeated is "lose", while to untie something or make free of something is "loose"

The 3rd is using the word "your" instead of "you're". Your is possessive. It is used when referring to a second person's attribute or possession i.e belonging to or associated with any person in general. For example "That is your bag" while You're is the same as "you are" and it is referring to a second person. An example is "You're very good at playing soccer".

I hope we will start making efforts not to make this common mistakes in 2016. Happy New Year again everyone.

Source : http://naijavariety.com/2016/01/01/3-english-errors-you-shouldnt-be-making-in-2016/

Lalasticlala, ishilove seun obynoscope mynd44 ijebabe please move to front page so people can learn from this

Good one

Buhari take note.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by sarutobie(m): 8:35am On Jan 01, 2016
using " am" instead of "I am" or "I'm"...for example, "am coming back" instead of "I'm coming back"

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by lilmax(m): 8:35am On Jan 01, 2016
There instead of their

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 8:35am On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

Yeeeee shocked

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Sunnycliff(m): 8:36am On Jan 01, 2016
Its a disgrace to keep making such errors after graduating from secondary school not to mention the ivory tower! It need not be mentioned twice as it tingles the ears

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Jackter101(m): 8:37am On Jan 01, 2016
sarutobie:
using " am" instead of "I am" or "I'm"...for example, "am coming back" instead of "I'm coming back"

You are very correct

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Johniyke2flex(m): 8:37am On Jan 01, 2016
Been/Being, There/Their, This/These etc. A lot of Nairalanders need to learn how to use these words appropriately.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 8:38am On Jan 01, 2016
Seen at 8:38

Friends Who Study Together Graduate With First Class Together (Photos) / Scientist Deliberately Crashed This Aeroplane To Learn What Happens During Crash / Umaru Shehu, Biography Of First Professor Emeritus In Northern Nigeria (photos)