Stats: 3,150,011 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 (40636 Views)

Top Grammatical Errors You Make Without Knowing / Common English Errors We Make During Conversation / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by overboard(m): 11:54am On Jan 01, 2016
Please help me tell Nigerians about the use of period in abbreviations. Even respected individuals, companies, media houses et al are fond of ending acronyms derived directly from first letters of namings at the second to the last letter i.e. World Health Organization, W.H.O which is wrong. It should be W.H.O.

The truncated use of period before the last letter of the abbreviated acronym should simply not be used in formal communication and even in non-formal circles, why the laziness i.e. M.I which is derived from Mister Incredible? OK. Let's let that one pass since in some instances and though I hate to admit it, it can look nice given the font and design. But, a good example of annoying case to me is Tiwa Savage's new album title concept which I love but for the halting of the use of period in R.E.D

Since each letter represents a word shortened, why not complete its short form using same format i.e. R.E.D.

2. Another thing I noticed is the lack of knowledge in placing punctuation within construction. I'm not even talking of its grammatical use but its spatial positioning.

A good example is the bold below:

I'm the meanwhile , I will be checking up on them or I'm the meanwhile ,I will be checking up on them

Notice the placement of the comma ','. its alignment is wrong. It should be the next item after 'meanwhile' then a space before the next construction as seen in the bold below:

I'm the meanwhile, I will be checking up on them

This rule I believe applies to all punctuation save for the '-', that is, the dash where its position is best with a space before its use and after its use, more like centrally put if between clauses:

The singing trio - Tunde, Hammed and Obinna - were accosted for their role in the heist

However, the use of the hyphen which is often time indistinguishable from the dash is mainly for compound words and there is absolutely no need for spacing i.e. thirty-three, so-called...

Let's no get into the absolutely despicable use 'i'. Since even reputable organizations can use it wrongly, who will tell others not to. The only way I have forgiven using the small i as against 'I' is for special effect and it can't even be overstretched...

My 2 kobo.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by charlsecy(m): 11:56am On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:
The 2nd is using "loose" instead of "lose". I see a lot of people use "loose" when they want to refer to a team being defeated. It is wrong. The right word to use when your team is defeated is "lose", while to untie something or make free of something is "loose"..
A Nairalander by the moniker looseweight should see this.

Chicagoesontop:
I Love People Who Knows How To Use English...
charlesikhalea:
...its " I love people who KNOW how to use english".......
LOL...While charlesikhalea was correcting Chicagoesontop with regard to the use of "Know," he himself erred by typing "english" instead of English . Grammarians. LOL.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 12:02pm On Jan 01, 2016
charlsecy:
A Nairalander by the moniker looseweight should see this.

LOL...While charlesikhalea was correcting Chicagoesontop with regard to the use of "Know," he himself erred by typing "english" instead of English . Grammarians. LOL.

You are right in this one english, instead of English ... this one is a typing error not a grammatical error
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Fkhalifa(m): 12:04pm On Jan 01, 2016
Evina:

I eat cake on Mondays.
Thanks for the correction.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by tomdon(m): 12:06pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by DaVinciii(m): 12:09pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
I Like This Post, This Means You Are A Grammarian Like Me .. I Love People Who Knows How To Use English .. Mercy Johnson Is Is A Grammarian Too !!

It's I Love People Who "KNOW" not "KNOWS". You wan show yourself
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by mu2sa2: 12:10pm On Jan 01, 2016
These mistakes are common in Nigeria -
"expantiate" instead of "expatiate" (to avoid this mistake remember the word has no "n" - pronounced "iks-pe-shi-et);
"pensioneer" for "pensioner";
"of recent" instead of "lately" or "of late";
(ten),(ten) naira for ten naira each or ten naira apiece;
"bother on" instead of "border on";
"pronounciation" for "pronunciation";
"as at now" instead of "as of now".
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by pagorino(m): 12:12pm On Jan 01, 2016
grin noted...what else?
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 12:15pm On Jan 01, 2016
DaVinciii:

It's I Love People Who "KNOW" not "KNOWS". You wan show yourself

There Are People Who Knows how to use English, You People Fail To Understand That Am Using This KNOWS as a past participle, because they already know how to use English, it's in their blood to know how to use English.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by toprealman: 12:17pm On Jan 01, 2016
I'm vs am.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by daxon001(m): 12:19pm On Jan 01, 2016
charlesikhalea:

Oga Grammarian, its " I love people who KNOW how to use english"....... Before we correct people let us make sure we know what we re talking about... Thank u
Oga correcter, it is 'it's' and not 'its'
Waiting 4 som1 2 come and correct me 2
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Vivly(f): 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:
How dare you call yourself a grammarian in 2016 when you still type like this?
You only capitalize proper nouns in a sentence dude!

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by charlsecy(m): 12:20pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

You are right in this one english, instead of English ... this one is a typing error not a grammatical error
Generally, it is a grammatical error; specifically, it is a capitalization error.

Chicagoesontop:

You are right in....
Not so fast! You are right on.... LOL.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by daxon001(m): 12:21pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

There Are People Who Knows how to use English, You People Fail To Understand That Am Using This KNOWS as a past participle, because they already know how to use English, it's in their blood to know how to use English.
Baba take to correction Jor. Do you even know Wat 'past participle ' mean

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by daxon001(m): 12:24pm On Jan 01, 2016
mu2sa2:
These mistakes are common in Nigeria -
"expantiate" instead of expatiate (to avoid mistake remember the word has no "n" - pronounced "iks-pe-shi-et);
"pensioneer" for "pensioner";
"of recent" instead of "lately" or "of late";
(ten),(ten) naira for ten naira each or ten naira apiece;
"bother on" instead of "border on"

With d stress on 'pe' smiley
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by seunlly(m): 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
End time post
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 01, 2016
charlesikhalea:

Oga Grammarian, its " I love people who KNOW how to use english"....... Before we correct people let us make sure we know what we re talking about... Thank u

'IT'S' or 'IT IS' NOT 'ITS'
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by elosonservices(m): 12:34pm On Jan 01, 2016
thank you very much for clearing the air. This year will be a better one.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 01, 2016
Sunnycliff:
Its a disgrace to keep making such errors after graduating from secondary school not to mention the ivory tower! It need not be mentioned twice as it tingles the ears
IT IS OR IT'S not 'ITS'

It is human nature to make mistakes and learn. In short, it's okay to make mistakes.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Rotime1(m): 12:39pm On Jan 01, 2016
SS and SE are guilty of the third error, you're instead of your.

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jan 01, 2016
omusiliyu:
[size=28pt] Am and I'm[/size]

Let blame social networks for that
Let's(Let us) blame social network for that NOT let blame social network
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 12:49pm On Jan 01, 2016
charlsecy:
Generally, it is a grammatical error; specifically, it is a capitalization error.

Not so fast! You are right on.... LOL.
You are still right on this one, this is grammatical error now !!
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Chicagoesontop: 12:52pm On Jan 01, 2016
Vivly:

How dare you call yourself a grammarian in 2016 when you still type like this?
You only capitalize proper nouns in a sentence dude!

All of you wants me to be fried but i refuse to burn ... LOL, am enjoying the show anyway no offense to and from anyone oo !!

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Egemeole: 12:57pm On Jan 01, 2016
pure education. God bless you with salvation and other blessings

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Evina(f): 2:50pm On Jan 01, 2016
Fkhalifa:
Thanks for the correction.

wink
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Originalsly: 2:51pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

Bro..this is a learning thread...why confuse those whose minds are opened to learning? "There are people who knows how to use English" is wrong...dead wrong regardless of the explanations you keep churning out. Chew on this...There is a group of people who knows how to use English. @topic.... use of cloth instead of clothes/clothing/outfit.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Evina(f): 3:00pm On Jan 01, 2016
Chicagoesontop:

All of you wants me to be fried
but i refuse to burn ... LOL, am enjoying the show anyway no offense to and from anyone oo !!

Your grammatical usage is below average. Every sentence you type is proof.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Evina(f): 3:03pm On Jan 01, 2016
Originalsly:
Bro..this is a learning thread...why confuse those whose minds are opened open to learning? "There are people who knows how to use English" is wrong...dead wrong regardless of the explanations you keep churning out. Chew on this...There is a group of people who knows how to use English. @topic.... use of cloth instead of clothes/clothing/outfit.

Really this thread just shows that English language is borrowed.
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Originalsly: 3:08pm On Jan 01, 2016
Evina:

Really this thread just shows that English language is borrowed.
Thank you....Ms Microscope!
Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by harry509: 3:14pm On Jan 01, 2016
Jackter101:

Thanks jare. God bless you
bless u 2 my dear grin

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 01, 2016
Evina:

Your grammatical usage is below average. Every sentence you type is proof.
Aren't you wicked, dear?
That guy hasn't really typed a single error-free phrase here. grin

Re: 3 English Errors You Shouldn’t Be Making In 2016 by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 01, 2016
Also when to use 'will' and 'would', 'can' and 'could'.
Happy New Year y'all!

Umaru Shehu, Biography Of First Professor Emeritus In Northern Nigeria (photos) / Friends Who Study Together Graduate With First Class Together (Photos) / Ogun Schoolgirls Turn Smokers, Teachers Lament