Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,451 members, 7,781,306 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:08 PM

Stop Tribalism On Nairaland - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stop Tribalism On Nairaland (1172 Views)

A Letter To Mr Seun Seeking Zero Tolerance To Tribalism On Nairaland / Can A Poster Be Ban For TRIBALISM On Nairaland? / #occupy Nairaland: A Protest,if U Are Against Tribalism On Nl! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by ziga: 3:50pm On Jun 13, 2009
Nairaland to me is a reflection of the problem we have in Nigeria, a lot of people can't seem to accept that igbo+yoruba+hausa = Nigeria.

We make insulting statements directed at other tribes and we take nice and meaninful discussions off course.

I believe it should be the duty of the moderators to identify such posts and delete them with a warning to any offending poster.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by nickybayo(f): 5:46pm On Jun 13, 2009
that's rather harsh
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by ziga: 2:09am On Jun 14, 2009
nickybayo:

that's rather harsh

I don't think its harsh dear. My reasoning is this. The problem of Nigeria is with the people. And out of these tribalistic people, we will raise LG chairmen, Governors, senators and Presidents who will carry their tribalism to a greater level. You can tell by the origin of all major crisis we have in Naija.

if we, the people of Nigeria can not change our attitudes to many little things, the change we wish for will only be in our dreams.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by tpiah: 6:10am On Jun 14, 2009
ziga:

I believe it should be the duty of the moderators to identify such posts and delete them with a warning to any offending poster.

the moderators are only here to "protect" their own group's interests. These interests are tribal, religious, or some other social phenomena. The rules they enforce are for their own convenience, not others unless those others are their friends or "obligatees".

So expecting them to have an "unAfrican" attitude is really hoping for too much and very unrealistic.

A leopard cant change its spots regardless if its a moderator or whatever.

As Africans, we have to be aware of our own natures and stop being so surprised at what goes.

The internet is a powerful tool and thats why people are paying attention to what goes on there, and also bringing their agendas to the web.

From what I've seen, I'm not sure there's a peaceful way to stop tribalism. Just like there was no peaceful way to stop racism.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by debosky(m): 6:18am On Jun 14, 2009
Again tpiah with her sweeping statements regarding ALL moderators. While not perfect, most mods try to enforce rules fairly across board. Tribalism in itself is not against the forum rules - there is an entire section dedicated to thrashing out tribal issues as and when needed.

ziga:

Nairaland to me is a reflection of the problem we have in Nigeria, a lot of people can't seem to accept that igbo+yoruba+hausa = Nigeria.

We make insulting statements directed at other tribes and we take nice and meaninful discussions off course.

Off topic posts should not be permitted, however as moderators are limited in number and cannot read each and every post on nairaland, we are dependent on members like yourself to REPORT offending posts so the moderators can deal with them. That said, tribes/tribal issues are often part of many topics of discourse - people are allowed to express their opinions, even if negative. Only when the comments cross the bounds of decency should they be curtailed/removed.

Once again, YOUR cooperation as an individual member is essential to making nairaland work properly - make reports whenever you can and moderators will endeavour to deal with them.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by ziga: 2:18pm On Jun 14, 2009
debosky:

Tribalism in itself is not against the forum rules - there is an entire section dedicated to thrashing out tribal issues as and when needed.

I think the Tribalism forum should be removed (what's the point of it) because it doesnt serve its purpose. Most times, its full of so many negative stuff. Rather, its purpose should be to promote anti-racism/anti-tribalism.

If we look back in history, tribalism/racism has never yielded anything good.

And tribalism should be against the forum rules, just like racism. The world is getting past the era of openly insulting some other tribe/race.

If Nairaland wasn't virtual, i don't know how many ethnic cleansings we might have had on it.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by debosky(m): 6:18pm On Jun 15, 2009
ziga:

I think the Tribalism forum should be removed (what's the point of it) because it doesnt serve its purpose. Most times, its full of so many negative stuff. Rather, its purpose should be to promote anti-racism/anti-tribalism.

If we look back in history, tribalism/racism has never yielded anything good.

And tribalism should be against the forum rules, just like racism. The world is getting past the era of openly insulting some other tribe/race.

If Nairaland wasn't virtual, i don't know how many ethnic cleansings we might have had on it.

Don't you think it's better to provide a means for people to vent their anger? Nairaland helps diffuse tension, so I fully support the presence of the tribalism section. cool

Tribalism is not the same as racism - let people discuss their tribes and insult each other - eventually they will come to a common conclusion. If not, let the fighting continue. We can't create an artificial world without tribalism, especially on a naija site. tongue
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

Don't you think it's better to[b] provide a means for people to vent their anger[/b]? Nairaland helps diffuse tension, so I fully support the presence of the tribalism section. cool

Tribalism is not the same as racism - let people discuss their tribes and insult each other - eventually they will come to a common conclusion. If not, let the fighting continue. We can't create an artificial world without tribalism, especially on a naija site. tongue

so when do we get the jihad/crusade section for davidylan and abuzola ? cheesy cheesy
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 15, 2009
oyb:

so when do we get the jihad/crusade section for davidylan and abuzola ? cheesy cheesy

we havent been granted one already alhaji? shocked grin
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by mukina2: 6:32pm On Jun 15, 2009
oyb:

oya may God bless you for this cheesy

you read my mind.
Re: Stop Tribalism On Nairaland by ziga: 11:07pm On Jun 15, 2009
debosky:

In my opinion, tribalism is racism on a smaller scale.

Venting out your anger is all about talking about the problems which is constructive and which is very different from what happens on Nairaland.

On the contrary, discussions on Nairaland fire up our tribal differences. Only God knows the pains of the poor children/wives or friends of Nairalanders that will most likely serve as the outlet of the anger generated after viewing and discussing some of these hate filled posts.

If we can not tolerate somebody who has a different opinion from ours, reason with others and criticize constructively, we are not creating an avenue for venting out anger! We are creating more hate. Xenophobia!

(1) (Reply)

Need A Girl/friend / Flooding In Lagos State / Of Age,maturity And Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.