Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,778 members, 7,802,388 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:31 PM

Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? (17728 Views)

Should Euthanasia Be Legalised In Nigeria.........? / Should Euthanasia Be Legalized In Nigeria? / Opinion: Should Women Be Entitled To Menstrual Leave? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Forwetinnah: 6:20pm On Jan 02, 2016
Yes it should. ..so that people like Booooohari wouldn't be budgeting N209 million to stay alive and wreck Nigeria even more. Such an absurd amount for drugs and medical supplies, I'm sure he needs some transplants too instead of chilling with his fore fathers undecided
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by defendedvictim(m): 6:21pm On Jan 02, 2016
Akin1212:

Nice quota, but don't you think voluntary euthanasia is more or less suicide/assisted suicide? I don't think suicide is a good way to go. Let death come naturally, in fact I am beginning to move towards the scrapping of euthanasia no matter which category. No matter how long a person has been ill, let death have the final say. We as humans do not possess the right to decide who dies or who doesn't.
well, it depends. Somehow, u myt want to know d history of d person. Na person wey wear shoe sabi where e dey pain am...
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Akin1212(m): 6:22pm On Jan 02, 2016
Ymodulus:

Which God?

Your God? If your God then he his a very wicked one as he sent me down, to suffer humiliation.

Seizures and collapse in public that brought shame to me. Regrets to point of dieing.

If there is a God, he is definitely not a good God.

God committed genocide and killed millions in the bible. Yet you tell me he his good?.

He should be tried for genocide. I will personally put otapiapia in his food , that's if he exist

Good points
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by waice6571: 6:30pm On Jan 02, 2016
Ymodulus:

Which God?

Your God? If your God then he his a very wicked one as he sent me down, to suffer humiliation.

Seizures and collapse in public that brought shame to me. Regrets to point of dieing.

God committed genocide and killed millions in the bible. Yet you tell me he his good?.

He should be tried for genocide. I will personally put otapiapia in his food , that's if he exist

I read your post again and it breaks my emotions. sincerely I tried to imagine my self in your shoes. truly I am sorry.

But that doesn't change whom God is. don't give up on God, let your heart seek him genuinely with a pure and sincere heart. He's your father, he want to help you. Pls give him the chance to do so. He's not happy you're going through the valley of shadows of death alone. Call upon him, he will definitely show up.
I love you my brother.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by waice6571: 6:33pm On Jan 02, 2016
Ymodulus:

Which God?

No offense sir, God is absolutely good and merciful to me. Could you believe I lived about 14 years without visiting any doctor or any hospital after my encounter. late 1995 -2005. Till today I take paracetamol for Maleria fever. God is VERY REAL.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by igbonla(m): 7:36pm On Jan 02, 2016
rheether:
Euthanasia should be illegal cus am a firm believer of miracle.

We all believe in miracle but pray never to have to deal with those illnesses that will refuse to take your life but won't let you function at all as created by God.

I have no opinion yet, I keep going back and forth on this..
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Ayorella77(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2016
Try and see this Indian movie - GUZAARISH with keen interest. You'll learn one or two things.

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Akin1212(m): 7:49pm On Jan 02, 2016
igbonla:

We all believe in miracle but pray never to have to deal with those illnesses that will refuse to take your life but won't let you function at all as created by God.

I have no opinion yet, I keep going back and forth on this..

It is very hard to choose. There are justifications for both sides
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by UyiIredia(m): 8:08pm On Jan 02, 2016
Ymodulus:

Which God?

Will YOU put otapiapia in my food ?
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Pdizzle(m): 8:14pm On Jan 02, 2016
It's a very tricky situation, some illness are worse than death but life on the other hand is too precious to be taken willing. I think it's better the way it is in Belgium, it should be legal only if the patient consents, anything contrary to that is murder.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 02, 2016
To me that's an indirect way of committing murder.......and of course some persons will start perpetuating evil under the guise of euthanasia,things you never thought of will start surfacing.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by akigbemaru: 9:25pm On Jan 02, 2016
Should we legalize eurhanazia?
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by cutedidah(f): 10:51pm On Jan 02, 2016
When diaris life, there is hope.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by franconian: 10:59pm On Jan 02, 2016
rheether:
Euthanasia should be illegal cus am a firm believer of miracle.

Watch Guzaarish, then come and answer the question again.

To some medical conditions, death is a relief to both the sick and those taking care of the sick.

It should be legalized.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by mikolo80: 4:54am On Jan 03, 2016
Akin1212:

Nice quota, but don't you think voluntary euthanasia is more or less suicide/assisted suicide? I don't think suicide is a good way to go. Let death come naturally, in fact I am beginning to move towards the scrapping of euthanasia no matter which category. No matter how long a person has been ill, let death have the final say. We as humans do not possess the right to decide who dies or who doesn't.
pain ma bastard o. very inhumane to let someone die slowly, that is if your sure they're dying
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by joe4christ(m): 7:08am On Jan 03, 2016
Yea, I think it should be legalised!
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by WhatOnEarth: 7:17am On Jan 03, 2016
The problem is that modern medical practice assumes that we have gotten it all figured out. Yet there is still something called 'medical research'. Euthanasia is just an easy way out when someone can't handle a situation.
When such a thing happens in soccer, a player is let go or the manage takes a walk. Why some doctors don't apply that principle may be up for debate. But I smell pride.

When you allow euthanasia, it wouldn't be long before doctors start recommending that as the new elixir for all ailment. There would be practically no convincing argument to that would stop a doctor from recommending an end of life when panadol is not close awt hand to relieve a splitting headache. That too is too much pain.

By the way, we are all broken people, no matter how much we try to cover it. We just can't give anybody any right to touch any life...for o reason. Talk of suffering? Who doesn't suffer from pain? An who wouldn't respond to love, especially when they are down to the lowest? But someone will say that it can be regulated. Really? Just like all other things have been regulated.

We should collectively swallow the pride of thinking we've got it all covered. If it is beyond you, just say so and move on. There is o shame in it and certainly no gain in putting on a false bravado.

Consider these two stories below and make up your mind. You really can't sit on the fence in this matter. You never can tell when the chickens might come home to roost and you may have to make the call. Just do your best to SAVE a life.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/dad-from-three-hour-armed-hospital-standoff-that-saved-his-sons-life-is-fre

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/belgium-would-be-suicide-girls-change-of-heart-proves-euthanasia-isnt-the-a
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by WhatOnEarth: 7:26am On Jan 03, 2016
mikolo80:
pain ma bastard o. very inhumane to let someone die slowly, that is if your sure they're dying

And how can you be sure they're dying for sure
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by mikolo80: 7:42am On Jan 03, 2016
WhatOnEarth:

And how can you be sure they're dying for sure
how many people you know have beaten pancreatic cancer
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by babaijo(m): 8:11am On Jan 03, 2016
Euthanasia should not be legalize in whatever category, no one can create and no one should kill under the disguise of mercy killing. My opinion.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Abuklaw(m): 8:51am On Jan 03, 2016
Euthanasia is a delicate issue. I believe everyone should be familiar with events in the medical world by now. Just few months ago, the first head transplant was carried out in South Africa. In the report, the person that has a working head has a paralyse body while the person who donated the body was vegetable -he has lost it permanently.

The parent of the donor were happy because in their own view, their child saved a life even though he couldn't live. The believe that his spirit will be happier to be useful to humanity even in his dead state.

Back to the issue, for a minor reason, euthanasia should be legalized. But it should be after a particular period of observing the patient. Like minimum of 5 years. This will enable the patient have time to recuperate in the time span. Inability to recover from such illness, there should be a written agreement that shows the consent of the patient relatives before mercy killing is granted.

I watched an Indian film which highlighted the pros and cons of euthanasia. The suffering the actor went through is enough to make any hard-hearted human decide to grant the actor mercy killing.

For a major and overbearing reason, We can't create life, so we shouldn't take it. There is only right to live and no right to die. They could have granted Job euthanasia before God healed him if it were to be in the modern world where mercy killing is legalised. Let allow God to retrieve what he gave and let not hastily cut short the life of those who can still live.

To all Muslims
Euthanasia is forbidding in your religion. Allah says 'And take not life, which Allah has made sacred, except by way of justice and law.' (VI: 151)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by riczy(m): 9:31am On Jan 03, 2016
Jux readn post!
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by acooriz(m): 9:32am On Jan 03, 2016
Dis ish no be argument... Don't take what u can't give... Simple
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by ssultana(f): 9:42am On Jan 03, 2016
Flygeriansteve:
shocked I'm genuinely shocked that an intelligent issue like this is being discussed on nairaland.

Euthanasia, mercy killing or assisted suicide is a thorny subject. This is because moral and religious sentiments outrightly frown upon the idea of somebody taking their own life which they did not create. However I'm not going to argue referencing any religious rule book.

Life is sacred, there is no doubt about it but existence is not. Life at least to humans is marked by the ability of the living to pursue a goal, seek actualisation as well as amusement and enjoy all of the human experiences that make us human. If a human being exists as a plant, he or she cannot be said to be alive. If a person is confined to vegetative state, he or she cannot be said to be living. If a person has lost practically all the qualities that make them human, and they elect to discontinue that meaningless existence, isn't it justified?

What use is there for living to a person who has been in coma for twenty thirty years, or someone who has been paralysed and cannot do anything but retain consciousness to suffer imprisonment in their own body.

The truth is that those who want to deprive these kinds of people the right to live and even more strongly, the right to die are selfish. The kind of selfishness as when one loses property. The grief of loss is nothing to be compared to the pain of empty existence. This lack of understanding and empathy comes from the fact their inability to step into the shoes of the sufferer.

The right to live also connotes a right to die.

Lol,that first paragraph was so rude grin

1 Like

Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by ssultana(f): 9:51am On Jan 03, 2016
Can euthanasia just be legalised? Or would there be a catch so medical practitioners dont just go about killing suicidal folks...i"m very interested in this topic although i dont exactly have a stance,so enlighten me
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Akin1212(m): 9:55am On Jan 03, 2016
Abuklaw:
Euthanasia is a delicate issue. I believe everyone should be familiar with events in the medical world by now. Just few months ago, the first head transplant was carried out in South Africa. In the report, the person that has a working head has a paralyse body while the person who donated the body was vegetable -he has lost it permanently.

The parent of the donor were happy because in their own view, their child saved a life even though he couldn't live. The believe that his spirit will be happier to be useful to humanity even in his dead state.

Back to the issue, for a minor reason, euthanasia should be legalized. But it should be after a particular period of observing the patient. Like minimum of 5 years. This will enable the patient have time to recuperate in the time span. Inability to recover from such illness, there should be a written agreement that shows the consent of the patient relatives before mercy killing is granted.

I watched an Indian film which highlighted the pros and cons of euthanasia. The suffering the actor went through is enough to make any hard-hearted human decide to grant the actor mercy killing.

For a major and overbearing reason, We can't create life, so we shouldn't take it. There is only right to live and no right to die. They could have granted Job euthanasia before God healed him if it were to be in the modern world where mercy killing is legalised. Let allow God to retrieve what he gave and let not hastily cut short the life of those who can still live.

To all Muslims
Euthanasia is forbidding in your religion. Allah says 'And take not life, which Allah has made sacred, except by way of justice and law.' (VI: 151)
Good points.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Akin1212(m): 10:05am On Jan 03, 2016
WhatOnEarth:
The problem is that modern medical practice assumes that we have gotten it all figured out. Yet there is still something called 'medical research'. Euthanasia is just an easy way out when someone can't handle a situation.
When such a thing happens in soccer, a player is let go or the manage takes a walk. Why some doctors don't apply that principle may be up for debate. But I smell pride.

When you allow euthanasia, it wouldn't be long before doctors start recommending that as the new elixir for all ailment. There would be practically no convincing argument to that would stop a doctor from recommending an end of life when panadol is not close awt hand to relieve a splitting headache. That too is too much pain.

By the way, we are all broken people, no matter how much we try to cover it. We just can't give anybody any right to touch any life...for o reason. Talk of suffering? Who doesn't suffer from pain? An who wouldn't respond to love, especially when they are down to the lowest? But someone will say that it can be regulated. Really? Just like all other things have been regulated.

We should collectively swallow the pride of thinking we've got it all covered. If it is beyond you, just say so and move on. There is o shame in it and certainly no gain in putting on a false bravado.

Consider these two stories below and make up your mind. You really can't sit on the fence in this matter. You never can tell when the chickens might come home to roost and you may have to make the call. Just do your best to SAVE a life.

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/dad-from-three-hour-armed-hospital-standoff-that-saved-his-sons-life-is-fre

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/belgium-would-be-suicide-girls-change-of-heart-proves-euthanasia-isnt-the-a

Some situations just can't be handled, that is medicine for you. That is why you see people looking unto God for miracles most times, but miracles don't come often, even to real men of God. A selected few only experience miracle. In a case where there is an incurable disease + suffering (there are some for now) and the patient is really suffering, and you know too well that the illness is incurable, the patient will die eventually, will you encourage further spending and 'waste of time'? Since the patient will die eventually, why not make it easy for them.
Just like Abuklaw wrote above, the patient and their family should be consulted deeply before taking such a situation. Euthanasia is a good thing for those who have incurable diseases but it shouldn't be carried out hurriedly, there have to be premises at which it would be carried out.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Akin1212(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2016
ssultana:
Can euthanasia just be legalised? Or would there be a catch so medical practitioners dont just go about killing suicidal folks...i"m very interested in this topic although i dont exactly have a stance,so enlighten me
A lot of people are on the fence on this issue actually, even doctors sometimes feel like they are in the middle of the sea when it comes to making the decision. The surgical department of the hospital in my uncle's case held a meeting for close to 2 hours before they made the decision. The only mistake they made was they didn't carry us along (the family). May be it was because they could see our emotions and enthusiasm to see him out of coma.
No doctor have or should have the exclusive right to administer death to a suffering patient, but after a lengthy monitoring, at least to some extent the consent of the patient or their family should be sought. To be honest with ourselves, some illness are just incurable, even in the most developed countries. Take for example, Yar'adua, he had to suffer a lot when it could just have ended simply. But it comes down to emotions, then you see people expecting a miracle to happen. I would have wished for miracles to be spontaneous, but since it is not we just have to come to terms with it.
Someone quoted a law backing to it, it is illegal in Nigeria as we speak. But they need to look into it, just that Nigerians may actually abuse it.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by Lakesyd32: 1:02pm On Jan 03, 2016
aside religion perspective, i am of d opinion that Voluntary euthanasia should be legalised, if d patient wishes to end his own life as a result of intense pains or incurable and acute diseases , den he should be given d chance, because by denying him of this, he becomes a great burden to himself, his family, d society and even d government.
on the other hand, involuntary euthanasia should be consider as murder and culprit should be severely punished cos he does it without d patient consent.
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by WhatOnEarth: 6:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
mikolo80:
how many people you know have beaten pancreatic cancer

Doesn't happen today doesn't mean it cannot happen tomorrow. You still haven't proved how you will know for sure that a person will die for sure
Re: Opinion: Should Euthanasia Be Legal Or Illegal? by WhatOnEarth: 6:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
Akin1212:

Some situations just can't be handled, that is medicine for you. That is why you see people looking unto God for miracles most times, but miracles don't come often, even to real men of God. A selected few only experience miracle. In a case where there is an incurable disease + suffering (there are some for now) and the patient is really suffering, and you know too well that the illness is incurable, the patient will die eventually, will you encourage further spending and 'waste of time'? Since the patient will die eventually, why not make it easy for them.
Just like Abuklaw wrote above, the patient and their family should be consulted deeply before taking such a situation. Euthanasia is a good thing for those who have incurable diseases but it shouldn't be carried out hurriedly, there have to be premises at which it would be carried out.

I don't believe there could ever be a 'waste of time' with human life. A waste of life results when u choose not to waste time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Coping With Mental Illness In Nigeria: A Beautiful Writer's Experience / Men Have You Ever Been In The Labour Room? / 88 COVID-19 Vaccination Centers In Lagos (full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.