Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:52 PM

Sunday Oliseh Quits - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sunday Oliseh Quits (935 Views)

Sunday Oliseh At Bayern Munich Stadium ( Allianz Arena) / Sunday Oliseh, Invites 23 Players For Tanzania Match / Sunday Oliseh Meets With Victor Moses In London.....photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sunday Oliseh Quits by sabaestate(m): 7:58pm On Jun 13, 2009
Sunday Oliseh has said he will no longer play for Nigeria.

The former captain of the Super Eagles told BBC Sport Online that after a decade with the national team it was time to concentrate on his club career and family life.

"It's time to turn another page and move on," he said.

"I've held on to my place in the national team for almost 10 years and Nigeria needs a team with a new generation of players.

"I have taken a lot of risks travelling all over the world for my country, so I think I should spend more time with my family."

Oliseh made his debut with the national team on 24 July 1993, in an African Nations Cup qualifier against Ethiopia.

"The only thing that I have not won with my country is the World Cup.

Achievements

"I have been an African champion in 1994 and won silver and bronze medals at the Nations Cup, while I captained the team.

"Besides, I have won an Olympic gold medal and been at two World Cups.

Oliseh wants to spend time with his family

"It has been a priviledge to serve my country and I have been truly blessed," Oliseh said.

It is not the first time that Oliseh has quit the national team.

He retired after the 1998 World Cup finals in France but was persuaded by the Nigeria Football Association to rescind his decision.

But the Borussia Dortmund player says there is no going back this time.

"I do not think that there is anything else that I can achieve with Nigeria, so I will not change my mind again," he added.

Oliseh, Nigeria's most travelled footballer, has played for five other clubs in the Belgian, Italian, Dutch and German leagues.

Do you miss thi young man?
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by dayokanu(m): 8:51am On Jun 14, 2009
Quit what? Cos Oliseh retired almost 7 years ago
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by sabaestate(m): 11:18am On Jun 15, 2009
Thanks for recognising
this youngman.
his service for Nigerian super
eagle shall always remain
in our memory.
more strength to his
elbowooooooooooooooooo.
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by Kx: 11:27am On Jun 15, 2009
Who is bringing dis issue up pls?

For crying out loud Olis quit the national team over 8yrs ago.

I would expect that by now the man doing some coaching or stuff.
Has he not done his time?
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by deb(m): 4:54pm On Jun 16, 2009
We've not had another Oliseh in the Super Eagles not even Mikel Obi.
I respect him.
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2009
Is this an old news or what?

I don't understand o.
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by vikiviko(m): 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2009
Its an Old news i guess trying to acknowledge Oliseh's contribution to Super Eagles(Chickens).
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by MrCrackles(m): 5:46pm On Jun 16, 2009
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked cheesy grin
Re: Sunday Oliseh Quits by nateevs(m): 8:48pm On Jun 16, 2009
WTF?

Is there another Oliseh I don't know about?

(1) (Reply)

Your Prediction For Tomorrow's Match: Nigeria Versus Argentina / Retirement Announcement 2010/2011 Club/national Teams / International Paralympics Committee Lifts Nigeria Suspension.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.