Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Where Are All The Black Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Where Are All The Black Atheist? (3758 Views)

How did the White get the Black to believe A White Will Fly Down To Save Him? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / The Black Woman Is God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 9:06pm On Jun 13, 2009
Black and Atheist sounds like an oxymoron.I think we all have noticed that there are a few black atheist.Blacks around the world,especially Africa and the US, seems to all be religious.All the blacks I met believed in a higher power. I never knew there was a thing known as "BLACK ATHEIST" until I came across some on cyberspace.An atheist Jamaican friend once told me that being an atheist in Jamaica is very depressing.They look at her with disgusted looks on their faces when she explains to them her beliefs.They even go as far to insult her and use words like "lost", "satanic", etc.

"Going To church" in the black community is more like a tradition.Everyone is entitled to do so.For all my years living in the US, I have not heard of a black Atheist. I think the reason that there are so few African American atheists is because African Americans, in general, have a stronger sense, of community and being associated and attached to their communities and families. This of course can be a good thing in certain situations, but with the religion thing, they don't want to question their belief in God because they don't want to think of themselves as different than and therefore less attached to their community and family.

In Liberia and everywhere across Africa God is everywhere. Phrases like "Thank God", "God is Good", "The Devil is a Liar", "Praise God" are commonly used.Even witchcrafts belive in God. In My country Liberia, If U dare insult Jesus or God, U better hide in the tree. These people will literally murder you with their words.

Why are BLACKS IN GENERAL such huge believers in GOD? Is it because of Whites who brought christianity with them to africa that some africans deemed it the "White Mans religion"? Did White Slave owners force Christianity on their slaves?? Was Christianity in Africa before the whites arrived??

As for all the Nairalanders out there that are Atheist, what reactions do U get from Blacks in general??
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Horus(m): 9:24pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

Did White Slave owners force Christianity on their slaves??

Yes christianity was forced on us. Since the slave-master is an enemy of the slave, if the slave prays to the same God as the master, he is praying to the God that enabled the slavemaster to enslave him. Therefore, that God is the enemy of the slave or captive just as the slave-master is.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jun 13, 2009
Horus:

Yes christianity was forced on us. Since the slave-master is an enemy of the slave, if the slave prays to the same God as the master, he is praying to the God that enabled the slavemaster to enslave him. Therefore, that God is the enemy of the slave or captive just as the slave-master is.

you got proof? or you're just going off tangent as usual?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 9:36pm On Jun 13, 2009
Horus:

lipsrsealed
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Jun 13, 2009
Horus:

The moslems were also slave traders, even traditional african rulers were massive slave traders and were complicit in the European slave trade. Was it the Christian God working through these lot too?

The foolish hare-brained statements that these duds make can amaze even the greatest cynic.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 10:09pm On Jun 13, 2009
It has a lot to do with our ability of not being able to think for ourselves. Black people hardly ever think for themselves(That is why we are never inventors only followers), We are NEVER encouraged to ask questions or challange constituted authorities(follow and never ask questions). We are raised to swallow everything and take it as it is being presented to us without asking why it is so or how it came about. I am mixed race, my mum is white but my dad was a yoruba man. When I first got to Australia I was very supprised at the way the white people here bring up their kids and always encourage them to think for themselves and have a mind of their own in almost every aspect of life including religion.

That is completely absent in Africa. You just have to take what is thrown at you without questioning it. And one other thing is that we are too fearful. Fear is what drives the black man in almost everything that he does, that is why we so much believe in things that have no meaning and do not contribute in any way positive to our societies, things like witches, demons, wizards. (These things mostly exists only in Africa much more than other places)

If you read the bible and see things that do not make sense to you like the Noah's flood where it says that the water rose 15 cubits at its highest and ask your sunday school teacher in a place like Nigeria to explain to you why the bible says the water rose 15 cubits at its peak when there are so many mountains that measure up to 100 cubits in the world, you might recieve a slap and be told that who are you a man to question god or the word of god. If you ask why there are so many contradictions in the bible you might be lucky if you go away without a slap. If you visit the koranic schools in Nigeria, Children and thought to memorize the koran with a whip, if any of them dares to ask why he should pray in arabic and not his native language, he will be lucky if he doesn't have scars on his back from the horsewhip of the koranic teacher. So we are left with nothing but fear, unnecessary fear that has been instilled in us since childhood to guide our lives.

This fear is what controls us and how we live our lives our lives. The fear of the unknown, we are too fearful, we can't question any form of constituted authority be it our parents, teachers, rulers and religious leaders. The black man does not really believe in freedom and individual thought we all like thinking and living as a community. Individual thoughts are not usually welcomed at all, that is why you see adult men and women living with their parents and having their parents, members of their families or communities thinking and deciding for them.

This inability to sit and critically evaluate things and circumstances is the reason why we are always following while other races have advanced and are moving forward while we are stagnant and unable to move forward where ever we seem to find our selves as a people. Another reason is poverty and ignorance, poor people who are always in need help are more likely to believe in god(as a source or means of lively hood or provider) than a rich person who has almost everything available to him.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Horus(m): 10:29pm On Jun 13, 2009
davidylan:

you got proof? or you're just going off tangent as usual?

And you got proof that christianity was not forced on the slaves?
You will soon claim that slavery never existed.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by MALAMA(f): 10:31pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

It has a lot to do with our ability of not being able to think for ourselves. Black people hardly ever think for themselves(That is why we are never inventors only followers), We are NEVER encouraged to ask questions or challange constituted authorities(follow and never ask questions). We are raised to swallow everything and take it as it is being presented to us without asking why it is so or how it came about. I am mixed race, my mum is white but my dad was a yoruba man. When I first got to Australia I was very supprised at the way the white people here bring up their kids and always encourage them to think for themselves and have a mind of their own in almost every aspect of life including religion.

That is completely absent in Africa. You just have to take what is thrown at you without questioning it. And one other thing is that we are too fearful. Fear is what drives the black man in almost everything that he does, that is why we so much believe in things that have no meaning and do not contribute in any way to our societies, things like witches, demons, wizards. (These things mostly exists only in Africa much more than other places)

If you read the bible and see things that do not make sense to you like the Noah's flood where it says that the water rose 15 cubits at its highest and ask your sunday school teacher in a place like Nigeria to explain to you why the bible says the water rose 15 cubits at its peak when there are so many mountains that measure up to 100 cubits in the world, you might recieve a slap and be told that who are you a man to question god or the word of god. If you ask why there are so many contradictions in the bible you might be lucky if you go away without a slap. If you visit the koranic schools in Nigeria, Children and thought to memorize the koran with a whip, if any of them dares to ask why he should pray in arabic and not his native language, he will be lucky if he doesn't have scars on his back from the horsewhip of the koranic teacher. So we are left with nothing but fear, unnecessary fear that has been instilled in us since childhood to guide our lives.

This fear is what controls us and how we live our lives our lives. The fear of the unknown, we are too fearful, we can't question any form of constituted authority be it our parents, teachers, rulers and religious leaders. The black man does not really believe in freedom and individual thought we all like thinking and living as a community. Individual thoughts are not usually welcomed at all, that is why you see adult men and women living with their parents and having their parents, members of their families or communities thinking and deciding for them.

This inability to sit and critically evaluate things and circumstances is the reason why we are always following while other races have advanced and are moving forward while we are stagnant and unable to move forward where ever we seem to find our selves as a people. Another reason is poverty and ignorance, poor people who are always in need help are more likely to believe in god(as a source or means of lively hood or provider) than a rich person who has almost everything available to him.

@ Tonyb,
                   you have summed it up nicely! Fear oils the wheels of religion : 'if you don't accept God as your Lord and obey Him, He will cast you into hellfire or the lake that burns forever with sulphur and brimstone.' Who wont be afraid of this deity and serve Him so as to avoid the so-called punishment?

And when one asks about some pertinent issues in religion, you get silly answers like : (1) that's the way God wants it  (2) the Lord works in mysterious ways (3) the holy spirit will reveal it to you in due course (4) don't question God . Some people even go to the extent of trying to cast out demons from the one who asked the questions  grin grin .  

Revealing one's uncatholic views on religion to one's friends and family is a big task and leads to ostracization in one form or the other. I recently lost a close friend because I told her that the Bible wasn't infallible  cry cry .
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 10:35pm On Jun 13, 2009
@ Tonyb,

R U trying to say that Black Atheist think for themselves??
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by huxley2(m): 10:37pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

That is completely absent in Africa. You just have to take what is thrown at you without questioning it. And one other thing is that we are too fearful. Fear is what drives the black man in almost everything that he does, that is why we so much believe in things that have no meaning and do not contribute in any way to our societies, things like witches, demons, wizards. (These things mostly exists only in Africa much more than other places)

Very well said.  In fact I have raised a number of thread here with a view to addressing just this lack of intellectualism in the African (in Africa and the diaspora) community.  If we Africans, do not start to redress this defficit in our community, we shall forever be the beggers and poor people of the world.

Let me see if I can find some of the threads that discuss this.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-124283.0.html

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-110955.0.html
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 10:40pm On Jun 13, 2009
huxley2:

Very well said. In fact I have raised a number of thread here with a view to addressing just this lack of intellectualism in the African (in Africa and the diaspora) community. If we Africans, do not start to redress this defficit in our community, we shall forever be the beggers and poor people of the world.

Let me see if I can find some of the threads that discuss this.

So because I am a christian I don't think for myself??
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Horus(m): 10:45pm On Jun 13, 2009
davidylan:

The moslems were also slave traders, even traditional african rulers were massive slave traders and were complicit in the European slave trade. Was it the Christian God working through these lot too?

The foolish hare-brained statements that these duds make can amaze even the greatest cynic.

And your point is?. You seem to believe that your are the first on the planet to talk tu us about the arab slave trade. Yes Islam too was forced on us. The same statment aply to islam too. Since the slave-master is an enemy of the slave, if the slave prays to the same God as the master, he is praying to the God that enabled the slavemaster to enslave him. Therefore, that God is the enemy of the slave or captive just as the slave-master is.

The foolish hare-brained statements that these duds make can amaze even the greatest cynic

Your usual boring sarcarstic statement. Try to be more creative next time.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 10:46pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

@ Tonyb,

R U trying to say that Black Atheist think for themselves??

You have to be able to think for yourself before you dis-engage from things like religion that have mass following. When it comes to things that like religion and faith all the thinking has already been done for you all you need to do is just follow the thoughts, wishes, assumptions, fantasy and imaginations of others without asking question. All religions demand total obedience no matter how illogical and irrational their claims are.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by huxley2(m): 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

So because I am a christian I don't think for myself??

Your thinking is circumscribed by the Christian dogma, which means you would necessarily reject anything that does not satisfy the Christian doctrine.  This statement is not hard to verify.  In fact, lets put it to the test right here;

How old do you think the earth is?  C'mon, show us the level of your think on this subject.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

You have to be able to think for yourself before you dis-engage from things like religion that have mass following. When it comes to things that like religion and faith all the thinking has already been done for you all you need to do is just follow the thoughts, wishes, assumptions, fantasy and imaginations of others without asking question. All religions demand total obedience no matter how illogical and irrational their claims are.

and i suppose you flatter yourself by assuming that you can "think" for yourself? All you seem to do is parrot the talking points of your atheist masters.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 10:54pm On Jun 13, 2009
huxley2:

Your thinking is circumscribed by the Christian dogma, which means you would necessarily reject anything that does not satisfy the Christian doctrine. This statement is not hard to verify. In fact, lets put it to the test right here;

How old do you think the earth is? C'mon, show us the level of your think on this subject.

toneyb:

Are U guyz not following the atheist movement How are U thinking 4 yourself??
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 10:54pm On Jun 13, 2009
davidylan:

and i suppose you flatter yourself by assuming that you can "think" for yourself? All you seem to do is parrot the talking points of your atheist masters.

And you parrot the talking points, imaginations and fantasies of your wannabe jewish ancestors and masters?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 11:06pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

And you parrot the talking points, imaginations and fantasies of your wannabe jewish ancestors and masters?

U are not answering my questions oooo!!
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

so we're on the same level playing field. So how are you "thinking" for urself?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 11:08pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

U are not answering my questions oooo!!

What are your questions?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 11:10pm On Jun 13, 2009
davidylan:

so we're on the same level playing field. So how are you "thinking" for urself?

No we are not while your whole life depends on the ideas, fantasies and imaginations of your wannabe jewish masters mine does not.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by huxley2(m): 11:12pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

Black and Atheist sounds like an oxymoron.I think we all have noticed that there are a few black atheist.Blacks around the world,especially Africa and the US, seems to all be religious.All the blacks I met believed in a higher power. I never knew there was a thing known as "BLACK ATHEIST" until I came across some on cyberspace.An atheist Jamaican friend once told me that being an atheist in Jamaica is very depressing.They look at her with disgusted looks on their faces when she explains to them her beliefs.They even go as far to insult her and use words like "lost", "satanic", etc.

"Going To church" in the black community is more like a tradition.Everyone is entitled to do so.For all my years living in the US, I have not heard of a black Atheist. I think the reason that there are so few African American atheists is because African Americans, in general, have a stronger sense, of community and being associated and attached to their communities and families. This of course can be a good thing in certain situations, but with the religion thing, they don't want to question their belief in God because they don't want to think of themselves as different than and therefore less attached to their community and family.

In Liberia and everywhere across Africa God is everywhere. Phrases like "Thank God", "God is Good", "The Devil is a Liar", "Praise God" are commonly used.Even witchcrafts belive in God. In My country Liberia, If U dare insult Jesus or God, U better hide in the tree. These people will literally murder you with their words.

Why are BLACKS IN GENERAL such huge believers in GOD? Is it because of Whites who brought christianity with them to africa that some africans deemed it the "White Mans religion"? Did White Slave owners force Christianity on their slaves?? Was Christianity in Africa before the whites arrived??

As for all the Nairalanders out there that are Atheist, what reactions do U get from Blacks in general??

SeanT21,

What is the age of the earth?  Since you claim to be able to think, how you you go about investigating the age of the earth?  

Let us leave aside who is following whom and test out our various positions here.  It is only with such tests that we will find out whose thinking is constrained by dogma.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 11:13pm On Jun 13, 2009
toneyb:

What are your questions?

Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by SeanT21(f): 11:15pm On Jun 13, 2009
huxley2:

SeanT21,

What is the age of the earth? Since you claim to be able to think, how you you go about investigating the age of the earth?

Let us leave aside who is following whom and test out our various positions here. It is only with such tests that we will find out whose thinking is constrained by dogma.

What does the age of the earth has to do with the bible??

Anyway, I must confess, I dont think for myself. NOW ITS UR TURN TO ADMIT IT!!
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by huxley2(m): 11:16pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

What is the atheist movement and what is there to follow about it?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

Do you really need to follow any movement to know that the creation story in genesis is not how this universe was created? If you read it and look around you will know that universe we live in wasn't created that way.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by noetic2: 11:28pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21:

Enough has been said about what drives religion, but the question now is what drives atheism? whats the basis of an atheists beliefs?

At least on nairaland here, atheists have been repeatedly engaged in debates/discussions to clarify their beliefs, NONE of them has been able to do so. Is it safe to state that atheism is driven by ignorance and deceptive illiteracy? The answer cannot be far fetched.

It is impossible to see reason with an atheist, because of his ridiculously baseless and ever changing beliefs. An atheist questions religious beliefs (for alleged dogmatism) which is a norm within the intellectual circle, but when this criticism on its own becomes a belief (atheism) then it has to be properly defined to be understood.

If atheists cannot explicitly state and present evidences to support their belief/position, then they are just as ridiculous as the religions they criticise, cos atheism has NO connection with science. Atheism is based on faith and hope that there is no GOD.

The average black man has no business being an atheist, cos He believes in the existence of GOD, just like an atheist believes in the non-existence of GOD.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by Tudor4(m): 11:32pm On Jun 13, 2009
@seanT21
Atheism is not a movement,central dogma or institution. . .its personal in that you weigh the fallacious claims of religion and choose not to follow.
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by pilgrim1(f): 11:38pm On Jun 13, 2009
Túdor:

@seanT21
Atheism is not a movement,central dogma or institution. . .its personal in that you weigh the fallacious claims of religion and choose not to follow.

That's okay. In just the same way, theism is not a movement, central dogma or institution. . . it's personal in that you weigh the fallacious claims of atheism and choose not to follow. cheesy
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by huxley2(m): 11:49pm On Jun 13, 2009
SeanT21,

SeanT21:

What does the age of the earth has to do with the bible??

Anyway, I must confess, [size=14pt]I dont think for myself.[/size] NOW ITS UR TURN TO ADMIT IT!!

I like your simple honesty, but I think you have given up too soon, something typical of those who don't think for themselves. The more fundamental point is this - Why would so simple a question be enough to press you into admitting the obvious - that you are not able to think for yourself?

How typical is this flight to dogma in your life and in your community?
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by toneyb: 11:56pm On Jun 13, 2009
pilgrim.1:

That's okay. In just the same way, theism is not a movement, central dogma or institution. . . it's personal in that you weigh the fallacious claims of atheism and choose not to follow. cheesy

Pilgrim 1? grin
Re: Where Are All The Black Atheist? by bawomolo(m): 12:08am On Jun 14, 2009
That's okay. In just the same way, theism is not a movement, central dogma or institution. . . it's personal in that you weigh the fallacious claims of atheism and choose not to follow.

Doesn't a group like the catholic church have dogma? rituals and doctrines are a typical components of many theist groups.

What fallacious claims of atheism?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Witch Doctor And The Man City Under The Sea / Pope Seeks To Start Debate On Condoms And Aids / What Is The Significance Of Tarry Night?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.