Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,207 members, 7,780,370 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:12 PM

Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal (23001 Views)

Fayose Receives N4.7bn Paris Club Fund From FG / 12 States Owe Salaries Despite Bailout Funds From FG / States N145b Allocation From FG In July 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Airforce1(m): 8:14am On Jan 03, 2016
I've been hearing/reading lot of stories about fuel subsidy removal but I don't know what and how it's removal is gonna affect my daily life.

I need an enlightenment please because fuel pump price is still N95 here in Ikeja.

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:17am On Jan 03, 2016
Call this no- 096252246 na femi adesina go pick am

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 03, 2016
Get busy in the so called studio. This one pass ur brain

22 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by jaymejate: 8:25am On Jan 03, 2016
[size=14pt]Okay no problem, lemme enlighten you.
But please, let me go and download a PDF on subsidy removal first [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Airforce1(m): 8:26am On Jan 03, 2016
Lol grin
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by bewla(m): 8:37am On Jan 03, 2016
is the studio boring

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by funlord(m): 8:46am On Jan 03, 2016
lipsrsealed
Airforce1:
I've been hearing/reading lot of stories about fuel subsidy removal but I don't know what and how it's removal is gonna affect my daily life.

I need an enlightenment please because fuel pump price is still N95 here in Ikeja.

Cc lalasticlala, mynd44.

2016? Still no album? But worried about oil industry politics? SMH!!!

33 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Shaftrod(m): 9:00am On Jan 03, 2016
You won't gain anything when you are standing up, my advise is for you to sit down.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by DaBullIT(m): 9:09am On Jan 03, 2016
Op

Yiu go gain plenty

1 Like

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by captain247: 9:18am On Jan 03, 2016
Fuel subsidy removal is of the advantage when global oil price goes down like its happening now but will be of disadvantage when global oil price goes up.
Say for example, If for now you're buying at #86 per liter with no subsidy and global oil price is $35 by the time global oil price goes up to $60 you'll have to buy at say #120 or more.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Simplymeah: 9:21am On Jan 03, 2016
Interestin, so majority don't know what subsidy is about and dey rush 2 castigate govt. Dis guy askd a question and none of responses so far is close 2 d answer, smh 4 Nigeria

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:31am On Jan 03, 2016
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

How will you benefit? Simple...
1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 above the open market price.

2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

3. The issue of fuel hoarding may hardly arise.

Cc: Airforce1

161 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Airforce1(m): 9:34am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I be hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is that, since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(since it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.
1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel above N3-N5 of the open market price.
2. The hundreds of billions giving to marketers annually will be channelled to productive ventures.

Thanks boss

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by RxObiefule13(m): 9:43am On Jan 03, 2016
Simplymeah:
Interestin, so majority don't know what subsidy is about and dey rush 2 castigate govt. Dis guy askd a question and none of responses so far is close 2 d answer, smh 4 Nigeria

WHERE IS YOUR OWN ANSWER? undecided

43 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 03, 2016
There is no gain bro.All the money nigeria is making goes to the pockets of politicians and their families only.See the latest budget by the incorruptible president.Budget for cars and food for lawmakers and president have the largest percentages.We make money to feed them only.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Nobody: 9:51am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Every year government pay hundreds of billions to oil marketers to subsidise the pump price of premium motor spirit(petrol/fuel) so that you and I can be buying at a price lower than the open market price. What these marketers does is to fleece you and I by hoarding the product and force us to buy at much higher rate than even the open market price while still collecting billions on subsidy. What the government want to do is very simple; since open market price is estimated at N89-N90 per litre, they will no longer subsidise it(it's affordable). That means marketers will be competing among themselves to woo customers and we will experience less sabotage considering that nobody will want to lose their share in the market.

1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 abover the open market price.

The price of the.commodity ought to be lower than that,given that,it's a natural resources.Government officials get these commodity for free while we pay through the nose to have it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Dcomrade(m): 9:55am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

1. You will most likely never experience a situation of buying fuel at N3-N5 abover the open market price.

But the people occupying government now, while in opposition openly campaigned against subsidy removal.....so what has change now? undecided

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:05am On Jan 03, 2016
Love Machine:
The price of the.commodity ought to be lower than that,given that,it's a natural resources.Government officials get these commodity for free while we pay through the nose to have it.
The price would have been lower if our refineries were efficient enough to meet local need. Perhaps, it may sell at N40-N43 per litre. Considering that we import the refined product, worse is the fact that the naira-dollar exchange is high, the landing cost is relatively high. When you add custom duty, transportation and other charges plus the fact that most of these marketers secure loans to buy the product and they must factor personnel expenditure and profit, the price at N90 isn't so high.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by bulletproofmonk(m): 10:10am On Jan 03, 2016
Typical selfish Nigerian.Always thinking about himself alone.If the policies don't impact him directly,he resists.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:12am On Jan 03, 2016
Dcomrade:

But the people occupying government now, while in opposition openly campaigned against subsidy removal.....so what has change now? undecided
I also occupied Ojota in 2012. The situation is quite different.

In 2011 Nigeria's subsidy shoot from some hundreds of billions to TWO trillion. How come? The then government kept saying that some cabals and stuff, but it wasn't so before they came on board. Many(including myself) maintained that the masses must not suffer for the government's insincerity and cluelessness. As at then, fuel was sold at N65 per litre, while subsidy was at N80 per litre. That means the government expected us to be buying fuel at N145 per litre(or more). That is over 100% increase in hardship and poverty catalyst. We had trillions in our reserve, there was no paliative and the politicians were in one corruption scandal or the other and walking free. So it was unacceptable and we resisted it!

The government relaxed on partial subsidy and brought SURE-P but what did that bring to us? Nothing. The government promised refineries but till date nothing is on ground. So the 2012 opposition was/is on point.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:18am On Jan 03, 2016
The only thing u will stand to gain is that your money will stop going into the hands of the few!

That means u will start seeing the interpretation of that in infrastructural development across the country- assuming they really wanted to work and be positive!

9 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by SLIDEwaxie(m): 10:20am On Jan 03, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

I also occupied Ojata in 2012. The situation is quite different.

In 2011 Nigeria's subsidy shoot from some hundreds of billions to TWO trillion. How come? The then government kept saying that some cabals and stuff, but it wasn't so before they came on board. Many(including myself) maintained that the masses must not suffer for the government's insincerity and cluelessness. As at then, fuel was sold at N65 per litre, while subsidy was at N80 per litre. That means the government expected us to be buying fuel at N145 per litre(or more). That is over 100% increase in hardship and poverty catalyst. We had trillions in our reserve, there was no paliative and the politicians were in one corruption scandal or the other and walking free. So it was unacceptable and we resisted it!

The government relaxed on partial subsidy and brought SURE-P but what did that bring to us? Nothing. The government promised refineries but till date nothing is on ground. So the 2012 opposition was/is on point.
Tony, in truth, I am beginning to hate u for talking sense nowadays!

Pls, pls, be partial as u used to be so I can always insult u as I used to do!

angry angry angry angry

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Matttthew(m): 4:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
U no get Google?
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by miqos02(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
ok
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Innodon(m): 4:35pm On Jan 03, 2016
Following

2 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by yomalex(m): 4:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Okay
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by kay29000(m): 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Fuel for 95 naira in Lagos? Are you sure? I bought fuel for 86.50 in Apapa yesterday.

5 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by Besto(m): 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by agabusta: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Dcomrade:

You lots cannot blackmail the APC and the intelligent people that protested against the irrational removal of subsidy in 2011 by your ignorance (feigned or real) and attempts at prevarication.

Maybe u need to go and have a look at the speeches and arguments of subsidy removal of 2011 again, if indeed your mind is open to unbias.

No one entirely tagged subsidy removal as evil. Infact a lot of APC governors supported subsidy removal.

The CBN governor then, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi supported subsidy removal. A lot of hate-filled souls prefer to lambast that smart man when it is convenient for them and it suits their bigoted position. But prefer to abuse him and call him a bigot if he is on an opposing view to their stance. What an undemocratic animalistic behaviour.

The main opposition to subsidy then was premised on the fact that subsidy rose from about 250,300,350 billion in 2008, 2009 & 2010 respectively to about 1.5trillion in 2011 without any rational explanation from the govt.

The govt itself agreed that the subsidy regime was entrenched in so much corruption, yet no one was brought to book!

That is the greatest disservice that govt did to the nation. How can govt be duped of billions of naira, yet nothing was done to the thieves who were even around govt circles and flaunting their loot, yet you want the citizenry to pay for such ineptitude.

It doesn't happen anywhere!

We cannot be made to pay for the ineptitude and incapacity of the govt.

That singular action of govt at that time, which resulted in the prices of petrol spiralling from 65naira/litre to above 145 naira/litre was very insensitive and wicked.

And I can assure you that anywhere democracy is being practised in the world, that action of the GEJ administration will be resisted by the people. It is so simple. I don't why a lot of you is taking it as personal thing against Jona.

Corruption was on the highest levels, refineries were comatose, govt did not properly sensitize the citizenry before arbitrarily making pump price more than double it's price.

Infact, it was like a coup against the people as this was the new year gift the govt meted out to them, and u think it will not be resisted by civil groups and labour unions??

Sincerely I can recollect that I felt that sharp increase badly. I work in VI and live around Berger. I usually use one full tank to go to work per week. It was so difficult to adjust to the new price. I was formerly filling my tank with about 4k, after the arbitrary increase, it climbed to about 9k. Transportation cost hit the rocks in Lag.

Transportation is expensive in Lag, and waking up to see it has been more than doubled will definitely cause a social upheaval. It doesn't take a genius to predict this.

Increase in fuel price in Nigeria always lead to a corresponding increase in price of a lot of commodities. Which means prices of everything at that time also more than doubled while the citizens were still on same income.

How won't people protest?? Moreso when they were hearing stories of people defrauding the govt of billions of naira and no one was punished.

Now let me tell u the things that has changed.

1. The current subsidy removal did not lead to an unreasonable increase in the price of a litre of petrol.

2. The present govt has shown a readiness to fight corruption by its words and actions. And there was no scadal about people defrauding the govt of billions before the subsidy removal.

3. There is improved sensitization of the people before the subsidy removal. People are now more aware of the advantages of removing subsidy coupled with the fact that d removal will not cause a marked increase in price.

4. Reasonable & intelligent people have seen a genuine attempt by the govt to reactivate the refineries and bring them back to operation. While keeping corruption at the barest minimum thru the operation of the TSA.

5. Reasonable and intelligent people have seen that the govt of the day is trying all it can to block leakages, and are not showing hopelessness in the midst of massive corruption, and are therefore willing to support them by themselves taking on a little liability.

6. The govt of the day took the decision in a strategic way, while hoping before prices pick up in the international market, they would have been able to resuscitate the refineries and up local production.

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by makzeze: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
You stand to gain from:
1. oil business free of corruption

2. more revenue to govt and that will enable it build on infrastructures

3, transparent domestic oil and gas market.

3 Likes

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by agabusta: 4:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Airforce1:

You are a liar and must be very dull.

Which filling station in Ikeja did u buy fuel at 95naira/litre??

There is fuel everywhere in Lagos without any queue at the recommended pump price. I was still in Ikeja today and I took interest in looking at a lot of filling stations just because I plan to buy fuel after service.

After service I covered a significant part of Lagos as the roads were very free and I can boldy tell u that there is fuel in LAGOS not even only Ikeja at govt modulated prices without queues.

This is a new year, you better drop the spirit of bad belle and lying.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Somebody Please Enlighten Me On What I Stand To Gain From FG Subsidy Removal by anonimi: 4:40pm On Jan 03, 2016

5 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Does Public Utility Levy Mean? Mixed Reactions Trail New LASG Levy / One Killed In Southern Kaduna As Soldiers Shoot At Protesting Women / Don’t Compare Igboho’s Travails With Prophet Muhammed's — Muslims Slam Afenifere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.