Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,974 members, 7,803,225 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? (37616 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka Or Chinua Achebe: Who Is A Better Writer? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by salako: 8:08pm On Nov 08, 2005
I find this topic funny because these are the ONLY two Nigerian authors i had ever heard of. i have read none of their work yet, but i will.
From my own sources Achebe is the most influential.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 8:13pm On Nov 08, 2005
All:
I am not trying to win people to my side. Even though I prefer Soyinka's works to those of Achebe's, I still think Achebe is also great. There's nothing wrong to have preferences; most of you prefer Chinua's writings to Wole's, which may seem ludicrous to people like me. I just thought that Soyinka is the greatest of African writers because his writings challenge you if you're the type that love puzzles. In fact, I was first introduced to Things Fall Apart when I was in modern school; I didn't see any big deal in it. In my opinion, Soyinka is too much for Achebe. Even Buchi Emecheta writes better than Chinua Achebe. Read Buchi's Double Yoke and The Rape of Shavi, and you will bow to my girl! Please, guys, don't bite me for my opinion!  

Yes, I'm Yoruba! But I am not at all beclouded by tribalism. I have only stated the fact of the matter. You know what, though, there was only one writer that could have kicked Soyinka's behind -- his name was D.O. FAGUNWA! Ha, ha! Never heard of him? Read wider!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 9:00pm On Nov 08, 2005
If it was your opinion.you would say something like "I like Wole Soyinka better" or "Buchi Emecheta appeals more to me than Achebe". The way you keep saying stuff like....."In my opinion, Soyinka is too much for Achebe. Even Buchi Emecheta writes better than Chinua Achebe." is not so good...........it defeats the purpose of your post.........
Telling people to read wider..........if I wasnt yoruba...what business would I have with "Ogboju ode........." not reading it doesnt make anyone ignorant........not reading Soyinka's translation still doesnt make you an ignorant person....
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 9:10pm On Nov 08, 2005
@OmogeNikky, I have chosen to ignore your aggressiveness because of the respect that I have for females, but if you continue in your excessess I shall have to deal with you, intelligently. OK!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 11:22pm On Nov 08, 2005
grin  grin  grin  grin  grin  grin
ejo sir....
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 11:34pm On Nov 08, 2005
If it was your opinion.you would say something like "I like Wole Soyinka better" or "Buchi Emecheta appeals more to me than Achebe". The way you keep saying stuff like....."In my opinion, Soyinka is too much for Achebe. Even Buchi Emecheta writes better than Chinua Achebe." is not so good...........it defeats the purpose of your post.........
Telling people to read wider..........if I wasnt yoruba...what business would I have with "Ogboju ode........." not reading it doesnt make anyone ignorant........not reading Soyinka's translation still doesnt make you an ignorant person....
in response to
All:
I am not trying to win people to my side. Even though I prefer Soyinka's works to those of Achebe's, I still think Achebe is also great. There's nothing wrong to have preferences; most of you prefer Chinua's writings to Wole's, which may seem ludicrous to people like me. I just thought that Soyinka is the greatest of African writers because his writings challenge you if you're the type that love puzzles. In fact, I was first introduced to Things Fall Apart when I was in modern school; I didn't see any big deal in it. In my opinion, Soyinka is too much for Achebe. Even Buchi Emecheta writes better than Chinua Achebe. Read Buchi's Double Yoke and The Rape of Shavi, and you will bow to my girl! Please, guys, don't bite me for my opinion!

Yes, I'm Yoruba! But I am not at all beclouded by tribalism. I have only stated the fact of the matter. You know what, though, there was only one writer that could have kicked Soyinka's behind -- his name was D.O. FAGUNWA! Ha, ha! Never heard of him? Read wider!

What's agressive about that?

1 Like

Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 12:00am On Nov 09, 2005
OK, "omo rere tii jiyan ale" a good girl that eats pounded yam for supper or dinner.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by fabian(f): 8:40am On Nov 09, 2005
Ejo, please translate for the rest of us who do not understand oh! We R still tryna learn.
Anyway, @ salako,
there are lots of other Nigerian Authors!
Lemme see if I can list some for you

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Purple Hibiscus
Sefi Atta - Everything Good will come
Buchi Emecheta- The Slave girl
Ben Okri - Astonishing the gods
Cyprain Ekwensi- Jagua Nana
Ken Saro-Wiwa (late)- Soza Boy
Wale Okediran- Strange Encounters
Chris Abani- Graceland
Helen Oyeyemi- The Icarus girl
Helon Habila- Waiting for an Angel
Flora Nwapa-Efuru
Helen Ovbiageli- Evbu my love
Elechi Amadi- The Concubine
Ada K. Agwu - Tunji the motor Mechanic
S.M.O. Aka - My fathers' Car
and a host of others..........................
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 12:15pm On Nov 09, 2005
@ Fabian, "o se joo omo to yayi" thank you, fine girl.

But don't forget my friend o! Kalu Okpi of the On The Road fame.

You don read o! Thanks. That's what we need -- well read Nigerians.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by sexton(m): 1:41pm On Nov 09, 2005
@ Fabian:
As per 2PAC, Fabian I'm always happy wheneve i meet someone who can flow with his lyrics. Back to Soyinka and Achebe I think we should just admit they are both the best (don't 4get more head are better one). God bless Nigeria.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by fabian(f): 2:49pm On Nov 09, 2005
Ok, oh, if you say so! (But choose 1 now??)
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by sexton(m): 3:00pm On Nov 09, 2005
I am choosing both of them because they are both good and beside they are both men grin. hope u can overstand.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 3:44pm On Nov 09, 2005
OK, "omo rere tii jiyan ale" a good girl that eats pounded yam for supper or dinner.

@ajisafe.............."omo rere tii jiyan ale" a good child that argues about/disbelieves the concubine cool
what do u think about my translation? maybe i should re-translate ogboju-ode and you might like me better then Wole Soyinka. wink
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 11:54pm On Nov 09, 2005
@ OmogeNikky, I didn't know you were this hilarious. I like humorous people. But my translation wouldn't have given you the slightest chance to re-translate if indeed I knew how to accent via keyboard.

By the way, I would like to implore Wole Soyinka to translate D.O. Fagunwa's works. What do you think?
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 1:19am On Nov 10, 2005
He already translated "Ogboju Ode Nimu Igbo Irunmale' (1938) into "A Forest of a Thousand Daemons: A Hunter’s Saga " (1968)
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 1:58am On Nov 10, 2005
@OmogeNikky, I am familiar with that effort of his. But what I'm saying is something like an anthology. I was even contemplating, lately, about starting something like a Foundation -- a writers' shrine, perhaps -- in Fagunwa's name. We can not just allow that giant's name to be obscure. What do you think?
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by omogenikky(f): 2:12am On Nov 10, 2005
Well, maybe you could translate his other books..........

Igbo Olodumare (“The Forest of God”)1949.
Ireke Onibudo (1949; “The Sugarcane of the Guardian”)
Irinkerindo Ninu Igbo Elegbeje (1954; “Wanderings in the Forest of Elegbeje”)
Adiitu Olodumare (1961; “The Secret of the Almighty”)

I am not joking....................hard task but you seem to know your yoruba and english pretty well
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 2:19am On Nov 10, 2005
smiley Stop pulling my legs. I'm still learning oooo!

As long as my hero is still alive, I shall always accord him the respect to lead. "Erin kii fon k'omo e na o fon," A baby elephant does not blow where his mother blows."
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by fabian(f): 9:58am On Nov 10, 2005
You guys have really lost me here! angry angry
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 11:57am On Nov 10, 2005
Please, don't get angry ooo!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by fabian(f): 1:13pm On Nov 10, 2005
No wahala, i'm a student of yoruba! I wish!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 1:56pm On Nov 10, 2005
@OmogeNikky can definitely teach you Yoruba.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by icingbaby(f): 9:45pm On Nov 12, 2005
i can't tell who is the best, because i don't know them or seen them in movies.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 11:09pm On Nov 12, 2005
What did you mean by movies? These are intelligentsia; learned juggernauts. They're are not some "make believe" actors!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by raregroove(m): 2:58pm On Nov 17, 2005
Hi Ajisafe,

I'm a bit concerned that you've narrowed down, the best African author to a choice between two Nigerians.

Maybe I've misinterpreted your subject title? Can you provide some more clarity?

Raregroove
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 9:34pm On Nov 17, 2005
Why? Do you have other authors in mind? Give us your own!
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by raregroove(m): 9:45pm On Nov 17, 2005
Ajisafe:

Why? Do you have other authors in mind? Give us your own!

There's a long list of African authors, but I was curious to know how you managed to arrive at your choice? Personally, I'm not so big on African literature, but I'm a big fan of the English, French & Russian literarure. I wouldn't be picking your brains, if you gave your thread an apt title, such as "best Nigerian author from my list of two"

Currently, I've been reading books by Tom Wolfe, I regard him as an American genius.
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Aminew: 3:03pm On Nov 20, 2005
Soyinka is undoubtedly a superb author, but if we come right down to it, I'll say Achebe is the best. His novels, although having a heavy African flavour, have stories that people from all over the world can idenify and emphasize with. I can equally bet you that before Soyinka's Nobel price, more people have read Achebe's "Things fall apart" than they have read Soyinka's "The lion and the jewel"
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by Ajisafe: 7:24pm On Nov 20, 2005
I can equally bet you that before Soyinka's Nobel price, more people have read Achebe's "Things fall apart" than they have read Soyinka's "The lion and the jewel"

Maybe the Nobel Prize was meant for Achebe in lieu of Soyinka, right? It was probably a mix-up -- you know, African names are confusing, right? wink
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by icingbaby(f): 4:29am On Nov 26, 2005
my bad, i still don't know them smiley
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by seeni4ever(m): 12:14am On Nov 29, 2005
Neither of them is good enough. my own personal best is D.O Fagunwa, the author of ogboju ode ninu igbo irumole and irinkerindo ninu igbo elegbeje. the first one was translated to english by wole shoyinka, that show how classic the book was
Re: Best African Author: Wole Soyinka or Chinua Achebe? by galala: 1:54pm On Nov 29, 2005
it is interesting but i do not consider either of the two respected writers to be the best African author. Also may i advise that being a contentious issue we leave tribe politics and other non literary considerations behind. Regarding both writers they write differently and have different concerns. i must say i am a Yoruba but found i could relate to Achebe's characters especially Okonkwo who shared certain characteristics with my dad. Soyinka's auto biography's are accessible so it all depends rally on the context and what you want from their books..
Now to vote:
my favorite Nigerian Writer is Cyprian ekwensi. Jagua Nana People of the city etc
Favorite African Writer is Sony Tabou lansi of congo. Please read his book the anti people and wonder!
finally it is a Nigerian no American trait to judge things in terms of the best. can we not just continue appreciating them for what they have contributed to our country. How can you judge something as subjective as Art satisfactorily..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Cracked Sources ( Love, Schemes, Scandals ) / All That Glitters Are Not Gold / Beautiful Wings By Glowingscenes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.