Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? (26611 Views)

Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Matttthew(m): 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
Amen

I receive it..

sheddo619:
don't worry God will provide for you a car b4 d yr runs out so when next smtin lyk dis pops out u would have smtin to say, can I hear an amen
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by marshalcarter: 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
All dis ppl wey write 1 single letter.....shey una blow weed undecided
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by AKMoney1(m): 10:02pm On Jan 04, 2016
Put am for gear 1

Na joke ooo grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by talk2rotman(m): 10:03pm On Jan 04, 2016
Both are correct...it depends on choice
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by agoadiv(m): 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2016
h
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Jan 04, 2016
OK if in neutral, but the car's supplementary braking system must be in order, I mean OK. This will abate you off the risk of gear-ware resulting from shifts in the followers teeth. But you must not put your car into park whence the supplementary braking system popularly called hand-brake is bad.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Harfisco(m): 10:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
Gear ni
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by sleek82(m): 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
Well i used to think putting a car on gear when parked is wrong and probably a naija way of doing things until i wrote the canada's knowledge test on driving and licence and it was categorically stated that if you are parking on a slope, you can put your gear on 1 and make sure the wheel are turned to face the safety zone i.e if theres a curb beside your park zone, turn the wheel until the tire touches the curb, if no curb, turn the tires away from traffic just for safety reasons. But if the ground is level, you can leave it on neutral

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by StoneLucifer: 10:08pm On Jan 04, 2016
cutepaul:
End time gear
Zombie talking..End time gear.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by wtfCode: 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2016
kirchofff:
U mean deGEAR of man u?
hahahaha...mumu, na degear of man u.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by marshalcarter: 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2016
jaymejate:
[size=16pt]On a slope, you put it in gear 1 or any gear with handbrake so it won't move even if handbrake fail.

On a straight ground, you can either use gear 1 or neutral. Gear 1 without handbrake, neutral with handbrake.

Bro you need to come for driving tutorial just N20000 for 1 week grin grin[/size]
Shey after the lesson...you go find drivin work wey dem dey pay lyk 70k upward?? undecided grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by maestroz: 10:15pm On Jan 04, 2016
OP, if you are not sure, why not park the car and get KEKE MARWA instead.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Dething: 10:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
Cars are meant to be parked with the gear on neutral. The design of gear was not meant to hold cars anywhere, not even on downhill or uphill. That is the function of the handbrake. Its only in Nigeria that most of our manual cars then don't have handbrake. Engaging your gear when car is parked is not safety best practice and it mounts pressure on the engine. Have you noticed that if you pack a car without handbrake on a very steepy ground, sometimes it rolls the engine and tends to jark move, that's why out Nigerian dudes use a wadge to hold the tyre of such car. Its not good for your engine's life. Use your hand brake alone. If it gets bad, pls repair it.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 04, 2016
I always felt people that park their cars in gear got handbrake issues. I park with neutral though, and pull my handbrake.

It never failed me, but when I go my village_ our house is on a hill, I park with neutral, pull handbrake then put two very big stones in front of my tyres. grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
Neutral....dahs wah neutral is designed for....If u come accidentally clutch d whip when u wan rev. Car as u dey. Warm am nko...ure name na sorry
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Omotaday(m): 10:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon.
truecaller dot com, register and search the number
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by prideofscience: 10:32pm On Jan 04, 2016
Some pple from other states, may wondering wat is treading on NLNow '' LAWMA''

LAWMA are same thing as OH YES in Osun dt deal with evacuating our trash dirty.. With trucks. LAWMA are 4 Lagos, while OH yes are 4 Osun.
The above OP is a trash gathered for LAWMA to discard..
''Leave trash 4 Lawma''
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
linearity:
Why will you want to still be putting load on your gear system when the vehicle is at rest and parked?

The gear will now be carrying load the load of your entire car, overtime this will adversely affect the gear system, put the car in neutral and engage the hand break if you need torque against any unanticipated motion.
I disagree
In car owner's manual of cars with manual transmission , manufacturers advise owner to engage gear 1 when parked.
Reason modern cars with manual transmission don't start unless you clutch down cos they believe the gear should be engaged when parked.
Unless you want to tell me you know more than the manufacturers.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by kobonaire(m): 10:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
Option 3- pay the area boy close by some naira - that car ain't moving no where then grin
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 04, 2016
Dething:
Cars are meant to be parked with the gear on neutral. The design of gear was not meant to hold cars anywhere, not even on downhill or uphill. That is the function of the handbrake. Its only in Nigeria that most of our manual cars then don't have handbrake. Engaging your gear when car is parked is not safety best practice and it mounts pressure on the engine. Have you noticed that if you pack a car without handbrake on a very steepy ground, sometimes it rolls the engine and tends to jark move, that's why out Nigerian dudes use a wadge to hold the tyre of such car. Its not good for your engine's life. Use your hand brake alone. If it gets bad, pls repair it.
Can you back this up with technical facts.?
Have you ever heard of engine braking? Car manufacturers even advise the use of engine braking cos it let's your conventional brake pads last longer.
What I see here are people that are not vast on how automobiles work commenting.
The fact that you own a car doesn't mean you know about cars.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by bigfrancis21: 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.

Yea, for manual gears, you should always leave them in gear (gear 1 especially), not neutral, when parking, thus the car is left engaged and cannot be 'pushed' away in your absence. Never leave a manual gear car in neutral when parking or else it could easily be pushed away from its location in your absence. The disengagement state of manual cars while in neutral is another feature that enables it to be push-started if the engine fails to come on using the car key, especially when the battery is so low that it cannot start the car by itself and needs to be charged. Also holding down the clutch of the car while it is in gear also disengages the car. For those who aren't familiar with manual cars, 'push-starting' a manual gear car is done by leaving the gear in gear 1, 2 or reverse, having a few people push the car either forward or backwards, someone sits in the driver side and places his left leg on the clutch all the time the car is being pushed, and as the car gains some momentum as it is being pushed the driver immediately matches down on the throttle with his right leg while slowly releasing the clutch on your left leg at the same time and the car should automatically start, and the driver takes his leg off the clutch completely and revs the car severally using the throttle to charge up the battery and heat up the engine. This push-starting feature is not possible with most automatic gear cars.

For automatic cars, there is a 'parking' gear used specifically for parking which manual cars don't have and this 'parking' gear in automatic cars achieves the same function as engaging a car in gear when parking it.

To provide extra engagement, you engage the handbrake of either automatic or manual cars as well.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ColeworldMD(m): 10:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
I always felt people that park their cars in gear got handbrake issues. I park with neutral though, and pull my handbrake.

It never failed me, but when I go my village_ our house is on a hill, I park with neutral, pull handbrake then put two very big stones in front of my tyres. grin
lol I'm guessing u drive manual yeah
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by fagbemiakintayo(m): 10:40pm On Jan 04, 2016
1stly you must consider the weight of the vehicle you drive and the condition of where to park; sloppy, bend etc.
Basically you use ur high gear "1" and your hand break...but dia ar worse cases where you use ur high gear "1", hand break and additional stuff to support like stones, planks etc. That is when your vehicle is heavy or loaded...once you ar a professional driver with a common sense you should know what to do and what to apply at particular time

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2016
ColeworldMD:
lol I'm guessing u drive manual yeah
I used to, till I started developing leg muscles.
My hubby had to act fast... cheesy grin

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by moneyurch(m): 10:49pm On Jan 04, 2016
The best thing to do is use the gear and handbrake, every seasoned driver would always make sure the shift stick is on neutral before starting the car, if the car is manual, alternatively i wll add that you chain the vehicle to a gate or make sure you park into a gutter or pit close to ur house or office so that the vehicle remains stationary.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by joephemzyz(m): 10:52pm On Jan 04, 2016
Gear 1 is appropriate for parking manual cars..this prevents the vehicle from moving, but attention should be paid to little details like parking position, direction of probable movement, et al.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ColeworldMD(m): 10:53pm On Jan 04, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

I used to, till I started developing leg muscles.
My hubby had to act fast... cheesy grin
Thank Goodness. That's definitely not a good way to get sexy legs cheesy
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Waspy(m): 10:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
hardychris:
Just park am any how you want but find 2 better big stones take wedge the tires that's all.
You must be related to the Flintstones
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by XCLUX(m): 11:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
All I can see are non car guys #petrolhead
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by DerKaiser: 11:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
The handbrake grips the four wheels of a car and immobilises them.

It is sufficient to hold a car stationary for as long as possible. You do not need the gear system to immobilise a vehicle.

The gear system's function is to regulate speed and not to hold a car in place.

So your car should always remain in the neutral position when parked.

If your handbrake is non-functional then your vehicle has no business being on the road with other cars. And No, securing a car with stones and wedges does not replace the function of a handbrake.

A tip: It is safer to turn on your car engine before disengaging the handbrake (with a neutral gear of course). This prevents sudden and unexpected movement of the car.

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by lordprosh(m): 11:13pm On Jan 04, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.

Nice topic OP..

Drz notin called 'handbrake' the correct word is parkingbrake..

A manual transmission vehicle shld be parked on NEUTRAL dats Y u av the PARKING brake

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by 9jatatafo(m): 11:19pm On Jan 04, 2016
So many people know only how to drive auto so they are avoiding this thread

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / VIN Tampering: A Case Study /Imgdump

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54