Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:23 AM

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? (26620 Views)

Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by nextstep(m): 11:20pm On Jan 04, 2016
In gear. If the front of the car is on a level ground or sloped up, put it in gear 1 so it won't roll back. If the front of the car is sloping down, leave it in reverse so it won't roll forward. Of course you should steer the wheel in such way that if the car starts to roll, the curb will stop the car.

For me, I found, in order of increased hold:
- hand brake (can fail if the slope is much, and on older cars is nearly useless)
- parking brake (pretty good, though I've been able to move the car with this engaged)
- gear 1 or reverse (car is guaranteed not to go anywhere)
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Jan 04, 2016
DerKaiser:
The handbrake grips the four wheels of a car and immobilises them.

Handbrake does not hold four wheels , it holds the two rear wheels only. reason it's known as an emergency brake there is a housing for its components in the rear discs you can ask your mechanic to show you

DerKaiser:

It is sufficient to hold a car stationary for as long as possible. You do not need the gear system to immobilise a vehicle
The gear system's function is to regulate speed and not to hold a car in place.
So your car should always remain in the neutral position when parked.

engine braking allows you use the gear to slow down the car and car manufacturers even teach this method in owners manual. These show you know nothing about this topic but you must comment.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by niceeric(m): 11:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
Warning.....if the car is going to to parked and remain stationary(on a flat surface preferably though),please disengage the handbrake and 'gear park'....

I don't pray anyone encounters the problem of jammed handbrakes ooo....e go be like say na people from village hook your car down.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by niceeric(m): 11:27pm On Jan 04, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Handbrake does not hold four wheels , it holds the two rear wheels only. reason it's known as an emergency brake there is a housing for its components in the rear discs you can ask your mechanic to show you

engine braking allows you use the gear to slow down the car and car manufacturers even teach this method in owners manual. These show you know nothing about this topic but you must comment.
I was about to correct the guy before I saw your post......u get mouth!
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by shepherd77: 11:31pm On Jan 04, 2016
Omotaday:
truecaller dot com, register and search the number

Thanks.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jan 04, 2016
niceeric:

I was about to correct the guy before I saw your post......u get mouth!
The kind of things you see here explain why cars don't look good after spending few months in Nigeria, from removing Thermostats, to using wrong engine oil, to washing the car paint work with soap thereby causing the paint not to lustre after few months.
Car body that just need water and towel, Nigerians will wash it with soap. Hian sad sad

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by hardychris(m): 11:47pm On Jan 04, 2016
Naso one mumu call me say em be mr so so so person say em dey work 4 Min. Of Education say make I call am back, I call am meanwhile I know what's up o!, he cum dey yarn akpata finish na em I tell am say em be learner o! Meanwhile true caller don show me em name as Emmanuel Idoko, as I call em name em fear, na em I laugh say guy man how buz u wan chop me on top buz wey I know? Make he device another pattern say that style no dey work again.
Scammers full every where but na greedy people dem go dey chop any how, if I no work I no go wan chop because awoof dey run belle naa

Omotaday:
truecaller dot com, register and search the number
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by niceeric(m): 11:50pm On Jan 04, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

The kind of things you see here explain why cars don't look good after spending few months in Nigeria, from removing Thermostats, to using wrong engine oil, to washing the car paint work with soap thereby causing the paint not to lustre after few months.
Car body that just need water and towel, Nigerians will wash it with soap. Hian sad :sad
loool.........our people are just somehow lol

another one I notice these days is changing rim and wheel sizes all in the name of forming guy man lol....they start blaming their poor injectors and messing with the poor things cos fuel consumption has gone sky high lol

but do u know that 80% of these problems wouldn't be there in the first place if cars were bought brand new in Nigeria so that they would come with car manuals and the most important one:if we would ever ever bother to read car manuals before using the cars...African man no like book lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by DerKaiser: 12:02am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Funny dude. We are talking about securing an immobile vehicle and you are talking about slowing down a vehicle.

Do you have a reading and understanding problem?

Engine braking applies to a car in motion and to lower a vehicle's speed. An example being when approaching a curve or leaving a highway you are advised to switch from 5 to 3 in order to drastically reduce the car's speed to be able to make the curve.

Every driver knows this and it is not the same as securing a non moving vehicle with a handbrake.

Sorry you are a novice who drives a car without even having a comprehensive knowledge of whatever he is piloting.

Come back when you have a better argument and please learn to read and understand before rushing to type.

And no, a handbrake secures all wheels and it is not an emergency brake for a moving vehicle as it should only be deployed when a car is stationary ( unless in Rally and Drift Cars which have highly modified handbrakes)

You need to go to a proper driving school and learn how to properly drive and understand the dynamics of a motor vehicle.

Smh.

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ogmaskman: 12:03am On Jan 05, 2016
Most of u are wrong. You do not need the gear engaged in park position, no matter the condition of the road. The parking break should be used at all times when the car is parked. That's why it's called parking break. Do not rely on driving school alone cos most of them jump into the trade to survive the harsh Nigerian weather. The parking break is as effective as the car breaks if functional. To test if your car parking break is good, engage the parking break them shift the gear to position 1. Release only clutch as if u want to move the car forward but this time without the accelerator depressed. If the car moves your parking break is bad.
Let me also add that you do not release the parking break until after you have engaged your gear. Some pple release the parking break bfor they engage the gear. Wrong practice...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Omotaday(m): 12:04am On Jan 05, 2016
hardychris:
Naso one mumu call me say em be mr so so so person say em dey work 4 Min. Of Education say make I call am back, I call am meanwhile I know what's up o!, he cum dey yarn akpata finish na em I tell am say em be learner o! Meanwhile true caller don show me em name as Emmanuel Idoko, as I call em name em fear, na em I laugh say guy man how buz u wan chop me on top buz wey I know? Make he device another pattern say that style no dey work again.
Scammers full every where but na greedy people dem go dey chop any how, if I no work I no go wan chop because awoof dey run belle naa

lol. U be funny guy.

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by DerKaiser: 12:28am On Jan 05, 2016
ogmaskman:
Most of u are wrong. You do not need the gear engaged in park position, no matter the condition of the road. The parking break should be used at all times when the car is parked. That's why it's called parking break. Do not rely on driving school alone cos most of them jump into the trade to survive the harsh Nigerian weather. The parking break is as effective as the car breaks if functional. To test if your car parking break is good, engage the parking break them shift the gear to position 1. Release only clutch as if u want to move the car forward but this time without the accelerator depressed. If the car moves your parking break is bad.
Let me also add that you do not release the parking break until after you have engaged your gear. Some pple release the parking break bfor they engage the gear. Wrong practice...

That is only if you are parked on a steep or slopy hill otherwise you are perfectly okay to disengage your handbrake before applying the first gear to take off if on a flat surface.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Temysteve(m): 1:15am On Jan 05, 2016
YoungDaddyB:
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.
confirm!!!! Thank u sir.

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Temysteve(m): 1:16am On Jan 05, 2016
kirchofff:
U mean deGEAR of man u?
o se wa lopolo bayi naa
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by mandy4s: 1:58am On Jan 05, 2016
anigbajumo:
so simple bro,if the ride is on level ground...use yer handbrake as usual and then switch the gear in neutral position.

But the the ride is on ground that is topographic in shape then u need to switched to gear 1 and use thehandbrake as usual just incase of handbrake failure.....

A Ground that is "Topographic" in shape shocked shocked shocked Oh Brother!
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by LordDecency(m): 2:12am On Jan 05, 2016
Some. comments here....

Just End Time Comments....
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by LordDecency(m): 2:16am On Jan 05, 2016
ogmaskman:

Yhu ar there Sir...
Good info...
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by LordDecency(m): 2:17am On Jan 05, 2016
nextstep:
In gear. If the front of the car is on a level ground or sloped up, put it in gear 1 so it won't roll back. If the front of the car is sloping down, leave it in reverse so it won't roll forward. Of course you should steer the wheel in such way that if the car starts to roll, the curb will stop the car.

For me, I found, in order of increased hold:
- hand brake (can fail if the slope is much, and on older cars is nearly useless)
- parking brake (pretty good, though I've been able to move the car with this engaged)
- gear 1 or reverse (car is guaranteed not to go anywhere)

I Grab Sometin here ...
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by scully95: 2:55am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:
Not too long ago, we (my colleague and I) riding on our project vehicle (a manual transmission Mitsubishi truck) to one of our sites, entered a discussion.

We talked about where the correct position of the gear should be when a manual transmission car is at parking state.

I am of the opinion that the gear position should be at No 1 (gear one). My reason is for the gear to give the car a second stationary protection (A backup to the handbrake).

Recall that when a car (manual gear system) is at rest (not started) at any gear position without clutching down, it is next to impossible to set that car on motion manually (giving the car a push or pull)

He, on the contrary is of the opinion that the gear position should be Neutral. That the handbrake should be sufficient to ensure a no motion state at parking position.

What of if the handbrake fails?

I decided to bring it here to get more insight on this subject.

Lalasticlala, give it a push.

Actually it depends on what works for you and the condition of the car. For example, I use handbrake all the time and I am used to it.
If it works for you, that is fine. On slope handbreak is also fine as long as you go for check up at least every 3-6 months depending on the milage of the car. You should be fine using either. I am the type that does not wait until problem happens to my car before going for check up. I think this is being proactive and a wise idea as well and I think you should get the car's Diagnostic Code Reader, it help a lot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by xreal: 3:52am On Jan 05, 2016
linearity:
Why will you want to still be putting load on your gear system when the vehicle is at rest and parked?

The gear will now be carrying load the load of your entire car, overtime this will adversely affect the gear system, put the car in neutral and engage the hand break if you need torque against any unanticipated motion.

@op
come and see come! come !! come!!!

here is the best response/answer to this. Trust me.

Those talking of handbrake failure... why not do a regular check up?
You can instruct you mechanic to trace the cable, ensure no leaks and blockage.

GOD bless my mechanic.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by tokz(m): 3:54am On Jan 05, 2016
It is not proper practice to engage a vehicle in any gear whatsover, when it is not in motion (stationary)
Use your hand brakes. If your hand brake is faulty please get it fixed as using your gear as a substitute can only damage the gear. It is also not safe as it indeed can cause accidents.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by ayodele123(m): 5:00am On Jan 05, 2016
Mine is manual and the handbrake works. When parked, the gear is in neutral and the handbrake is on. I am used to that. But if it is parked on a slope, I put it in gear 1 for additinal security along with the handbrake. If handbrake is weak, slope or no slope, I park with gear 1. I like the handbrake and I make sure it is in excellent working condition

2 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 5:07am On Jan 05, 2016
dustydee:
Do not leave your car on gear when it is parked. Always put it to neutral. Sometimes we forget to clutch down when starting a car and if the gear is engaged, it can cause the car to jump and could lead to an accident. That is one of the functions of the handbrake.

It all depend on the type of car, if don't clutch down some cars, it won't start if you ignite it.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by cashflowpc(m): 5:35am On Jan 05, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon.

Download truecalller app from play store, insert the number and click search! It will bring the name of the scammer out!

Works like magic!

Thank me later

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by kirchofff(m): 5:58am On Jan 05, 2016
Temysteve:
o se wa lopolo bayi naa
ma binu.........opolo mi wa ni vacation
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by linearity: 6:05am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

I disagree
In car owner's manual of cars with manual transmission , manufacturers advise owner to engage gear 1 when parked.
Reason modern cars with manual transmission don't start unless you clutch down cos they believe the gear should be engaged when parked.
Unless you want to tell me you know more than the manufacturers.

There is no such advise in manual cars owners manual, do you care to cite a reference? I will recant and render apologies, if you do and it will be a learning moment for me.

This debate had been circulating on the Internet for ages and every suggestions had been opinion based.

Some want to engage the gear to provide staying torque for the parked car especially if the car is old and the hand breaks can't do the job alone, others felt it is not necessary as the disadvantages out weighes the advantages, especially if the car is a new one because the car will be essentially resting on the gear box, that is why when you go the next morning, step on your clutch and remove the car from gear one to neutral, most cars move forward slightly, telling that all those weight had been on your car through the night.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by solepager(m): 6:15am On Jan 05, 2016
[quote author=shepherd77 post=41659390]Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon. Download truecaller app
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by pa3k001: 6:20am On Jan 05, 2016
You guys keep countering the person that gave d best answer (in my opinion whoever mentioned what d owners manual says is 100% right, forget what your belief is)
The simple question is what does the owners manual say about parking "gears engaged or not" ?.We can not know more than d manufacturer.
Please arguments like this can best be solved with what is contained in an owners manual......can som1 please do a screenshot of about 2 different car brands to put an end to this issue

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 6:25am On Jan 05, 2016
hardychris:
Just park am any how you want but find 2 better big stones take wedge the tires that's all.
best answer...
Why would someone allow the handbrake have problems.
Park a car with the handbrake engaged and gear in neutral simple.

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Emekasmart(m): 6:31am On Jan 05, 2016
I am used to parking my car leaving it on gear one,because i dont want to hear stories that touch... undecided
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 6:32am On Jan 05, 2016
linearity:

There is no such advise in manual cars owners manual, do you care to cite a reference? I will recant and render apologies, if you do and it will be a learning moment for me.

This debate had been circulating on the Internet for ages and every suggestions had been opinion based.

Some want to engage the gear to provide staying torque for the parked car especially if the car is old and the hand breaks can't do the job alone, others felt it is not necessary as the disadvantages out weighes the advantages, especially if the car is a new one because the car will be essentially resting on the gear box, that is why when you go the next morning, step on your clutch and remove the car from gear one to neutral, most cars move forward slightly, telling that all those weight had been on your car through the night.
and also ask them to say what will happen if the car is mistakenly hit, will you tell the hitter to also repair the broken gear after panel beating your car.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by streetzdreamz(m): 6:52am On Jan 05, 2016
dustydee:
Do not leave your car on gear when it is parked. Always put it to neutral. Sometimes we forget to clutch down when starting a car and if the gear is engaged, it can cause the car to jump and could lead to an accident. That is one of the functions of the handbrake.
that's a very bad approach,the HandBrake's ain't 100% efficient, so the transmission should always be engaged when the vehicle is stationary,preferably gear1 and reverse respectively,depending on the d slope...who forgets to clutch down before starting a manual car in the first place,first thing to do before turning the ignition is clutching down and checking your brake system,same goes for automatic rides,this one is simple to a fault as you can't engage the transmission without your legs on the break,its a precaution on its own.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Gets a Facelift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.