Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,894 members, 7,806,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:03 PM

Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? (26619 Views)

Ways People Take Revenge On Bad Parking / What Is The Use Of Neutral Gear In An Automatic Transmission Car? / Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 6:57am On Jan 05, 2016
DerKaiser:

Funny dude. We are talking about securing an immobile vehicle and you are talking about slowing down a vehicle.

Do you have a reading and understanding problem?

Engine braking applies to a car in motion and to lower a vehicle's speed. An example being when approaching a curve or leaving a highway you are advised to switch from 5 to 3 in order to drastically reduce the car's speed to be able to make the curve.

Every driver knows this and it is not the same as securing a non moving vehicle with a handbrake.

Sorry you are a novice who drives a car without even having a comprehensive knowledge of whatever he is piloting.

Come back when you have a better argument and please learn to read and understand before rushing to type.

And no, a handbrake secures all wheels and it is not an emergency brake for a moving vehicle as it should only be deployed when a car is stationary ( unless in Rally and Drift Cars which have highly modified handbrakes)

You need to go to a proper driving school and learn how to properly drive and understand the dynamics of a motor vehicle.

Smh.
Handbrake locks only the rear wheels dude,stop spewing trash.
Get a car that comes with d owner's manual or better still u can download one for Ur car All the cars I've driven come with one the only one that didn't I downloaded from the manufacturer's website. Read, read use ur brain.
Smh he calls me a novice, keep displaying your ignorance.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 7:00am On Jan 05, 2016
linearity:

There is no such advise in manual cars owners manual, do you care to cite a reference? I will recant and render apologies, if you do and it will be a learning moment for me.

This debate had been circulating on the Internet for ages and every suggestions had been opinion based.

Some want to engage the gear to provide staying torque for the parked car especially if the car is old and the hand breaks can't do the job alone, others felt it is not necessary as the disadvantages out weighes the advantages, especially if the car is a new one because the car will be essentially resting on the gear box, that is why when you go the next morning, step on your clutch and remove the car from gear one to neutral, most cars move forward slightly, telling that all those weight had been on your car through the night.
What has been moving the Weight of the car when mobile, isn't it the transmission?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 05, 2016
niceeric:
loool.........our people are just somehow lol

another one I notice these days is changing rim and wheel sizes all in the name of forming guy man lol....they start blaming their poor injectors and messing with the poor things cos fuel consumption has gone sky high lol

but do u know that 80% of these problems wouldn't be there in the first place if cars were bought brand new in Nigeria so that they would come with car manuals and the most important one:if we would ever ever bother to read car manuals before using the cars...African man no like book lol.
Even if it doesn't come with ur car.
You can download one from the manufacturer's site free.
Its just laziness to read they prefer listening to their Kazeem.
Imagine Derkaiser insisting handbrake locks all four wheels, an embarrassment he can just save himself by using Google.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:10am On Jan 05, 2016
diportivo:
U usually get used to how u learn

The cars i drove while learning and after i mastered driving had faulty handbrakes....ofcos in those cases gear 1 had d upper hand

I had gotten so accustomed to it that eventually,i still use gear one even if the handbrake is okay

Aslong as d handbrake isnt faulty,it is enuff to hold the car

You are safety compliant.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:11am On Jan 05, 2016
YoungDaddyB:
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.

Got a lot of insight from this

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Junior66(m): 7:12am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

Handbrake does not hold four wheels , it holds the two rear wheels only. reason it's known as an emergency brake there is a housing for its components in the rear discs you can ask your mechanic to show you

engine braking allows you use the gear to slow down the car and car manufacturers even teach this method in owners manual. These show you know nothing about this topic but you must comment.
tnx for skulin them bro. i was once in a vehicle in which the break failed but the driver still managed to get us to our destination using the gear as break; a journey of more than an hour!
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:12am On Jan 05, 2016
kirchofff:
U mean deGEAR of man u?

Manchester United never fail to have haters.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:14am On Jan 05, 2016
Opoki:
ur friend na mumu.

I disagree.

He must have his own opinion. He is human like you and I.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:15am On Jan 05, 2016
Jagermeister:
U'll be getting comments from people who have never been within 10 yards from any cars key, much less starting a car!

True

But can I control that? No.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:17am On Jan 05, 2016
dustydee:
Do not leave your car on gear when it is parked. Always put it to neutral. Sometimes we forget to clutch down when starting a car and if the gear is engaged, it can cause the car to jump and could lead to an accident. That is one of the functions of the handbrake.

The handbrake can fail.

Yes or no?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:18am On Jan 05, 2016
hardychris:
Just park am any how you want but find 2 better big stones take wedge the tires that's all.

That never fails. Correct piece of advice. cheesy

You don drive 911 and Datsun pickup van before? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by dustydee: 7:19am On Jan 05, 2016
streetzdreamz:
that's a very bad approach,the HandBrake's ain't 100% efficient, so the transmission should always be engaged when the vehicle is stationary,preferably gear1 and reverse respectively,depending on the d slope...who forgets to clutch down before starting a manual car in the first place,first thing to do before turning the ignition is clutching down and checking your brake system,same goes for automatic rides,this one is simple to a fault as you can't engage the transmission without your legs on the break,its a precaution on its own.
I am yet to see a driving school that teaches that. If you handbrake is not 100% effective, then you shouldn't be driving it in the first place. And are you not aware that sometimes we forget that the gear is engaged before starting a car. If you go to a proper driving school in a sane society they don't teach that. In fact part of the driving test is the use of handbrakes while parked on a slope. The routine is start - engage the gear - reach your biting point by lifting your leg off the accelerator- once you reach your biting point, release your handbreak and accelerate your car will go forward.
You are encouraged to regularly check your handbrake to ensure that it is not worn out. Simply pull on it and ensure that it is not slack or that it does not extend beyond its limit.
|Putting it in gear should not be a regular option, only when our don't trust your handbrake.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by dustydee: 7:22am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

The handbrake can fail.

Yes or no?
That is why you need to check that it is working. I described a simple test in my previous comment. If it is not working properly, you will likely know when you want to park and you should be looking for a mechanic.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:23am On Jan 05, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
I always felt people that park their cars in gear got handbrake issues. I park with neutral though, and pull my handbrake.

It never failed me, but when I go my village_ our house is on a hill, I park with neutral, pull handbrake then put two very big stones in front of my tyres. grin

Odi egwu smiley

You sabi drive manual?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:29am On Jan 05, 2016
lordprosh:

Nice topic OP..

Drz notin called 'handbrake' the correct word is parkingbrake..

A manual transmission vehicle shld be parked on NEUTRAL dats Y u av the PARKING brake

Thanks for the new word and heads up.

But what if after parking your car and engaging only the parking brake, Bayano turns up incognito and push your car away.

What will you do? Do you believe what I said is possible?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Drabrah(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2016
shepherd77:
Learning

Abeg how can i get the identity if the owner of a particular phone number.

I'm chatting with one f.oolish scammer. He revealed himself as Senator Bukola Saraki. He asked if I needed a job with the Nigerian customs. I answered yes.

Then he told me to contact one Alhaji. He gave the phone number.

I'll like to get the true identity if the owner of the number so i can take appropriate legal measures.

I'll reveal the screenshots of our chat session on a thread soon.

Download TRUECALLER App
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by YoungDaddyB: 7:30am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:

I disagree
In car owner's manual of cars with manual transmission , manufacturers advise owner to engage gear 1 when parked.
Reason modern cars with manual transmission don't start unless you clutch down cos they believe the gear should be engaged when parked.
Unless you want to tell me you know more than the manufacturers.

Wonder where the guy got his info from? What load on gear is he talking about? I hope he realizes that manual cars a lighter than auto cars , so even if there is a load, it is bearable.
Good point you made man.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by streetzdreamz(m): 7:30am On Jan 05, 2016
dustydee:

I am yet to see a driving school that teaches that. If you handbrake is not 100% effective, then you shouldn't be driving it in the first place. And are you not aware that sometimes we forget that the gear is engaged before starting a car. If you go to a proper driving school in a sane society they don't teach that. In fact part of the driving test is the use of handbrakes while parked on a slope. The routine is start - engage the gear - reach your biting point by lifting your leg off the accelerator- once you reach your biting point, release your handbreak and accelerate your car will go forward.
You are encouraged to regularly check your handbrake to ensure that it is not worn out. Simply pull on it and ensure that it is not slack or that it does not extend beyond its limit.
this ain't about what your driving school says, its the reality!!I bet you haven't witnessed this scenarios before hence your total dependence on handbrakes,handbrakes gets faulty a times and damns any form of repairs, what do you do then?dump the ride cuz of that??there is always a plan b which is sometimes more efficient than a plan A,our opinion must differ just telling you there is a safer option than handbrakes!!sometimes after the vehicle is parked and in a transmission gear,you see people still backing it up with stones or wood behind the tyres,why??no machine is 100% efficient.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:31am On Jan 05, 2016
9jatatafo:
So many people know only how to drive auto so they are avoiding this thread

I dey tell you.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:32am On Jan 05, 2016
nextstep:
In gear. If the front of the car is on a level ground or sloped up, put it in gear 1 so it won't roll back. If the front of the car is sloping down, leave it in reverse so it won't roll forward. Of course you should steer the wheel in such way that if the car starts to roll, the curb will stop the car.

For me, I found, in order of increased hold:
- hand brake (can fail if the slope is much, and on older cars is nearly useless)
- parking brake (pretty good, though I've been able to move the car with this engaged)
- gear 1 or reverse (car is guaranteed not to go anywhere)

What is the difference between a parking brake and a handbrake?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 7:38am On Jan 05, 2016
Linearity and Derkaiser that's a screen shot of d pdf copy of liberty 2004 model, note it is even a warning.
when parking ALWAYS leave a manual transmission in first gear and apply parking brake
This debate should stop right now unless you've ever manufactured a car.
Same was found in a Lexus owner's manual.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:40am On Jan 05, 2016
tokz:
It is not proper practice to engage a vehicle in any gear whatsover, when it is not in motion (stationary)
Use your hand brakes. If your hand brake is faulty please get it fixed as using your gear as a substitute can only damage the gear. It is also not safe as it indeed can cause accidents.

Accidents?

How?
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:42am On Jan 05, 2016
xreal:

@op
come and see come! come !! come!!!

here is the best response/answer to this. Trust me.

Those talking of handbrake failure... why not do a regular check up?
You can instruct you mechanic to trace the cable, ensure no leaks and blockage.

GOD bless my mechanic.

I have come. I have seen. I have learned. I have also begged God to bless your mechanic.

smiley
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by diportivo: 7:44am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

You are safety compliant.

I am an ISPON certified HSE supervisor

wink
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by lordprosh(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

Thanks for the new word and heads up.

But what if after parking your car and engaging only the parking brake, Bayano turns up incognito and push your car away.

What will you do? Do you believe what I said is possible?

I blv.. Once d parkingbrake is applied it almost impossible for your car to leave its static position
Wat if u parked wit ur car set in gear nd a novice or youngster decided to try his hands on ur car..
He insert d key into d ignition and turns on d ignition.. I blv u knw d rest of the story

Buh if d car is in neutral nd ignition is turned on d car is likly to remain in its spot
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by xreal: 7:47am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

I have come. I have seen. I have learned. I have also begged God to bless your mechanic.

smiley

*thumbs up*
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 7:51am On Jan 05, 2016
YoungDaddyB:

Wonder where the guy got his info from? What load on gear is he talking about? I hope he realizes that manual cars a lighter than auto cars , so even if there is a load, it is bearable.
Good point you made man.
From his imagination I guess.

1 Like

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:57am On Jan 05, 2016
kokaneprodigy:
Linearity and Derkaiser that's a screen shot of d pdf copy of liberty 2004 model, note it is even a warning.
when parking ALWAYS leave a manual transmission in first gear and apply parking brake
This debate should stop right now unless you've ever manufactured a car.
Same was found in a Lexus owner's manual.

Wow. Thanks for this.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by jnrbayano(m): 7:58am On Jan 05, 2016
diportivo:

I am an ISPON certified HSE supervisor

wink

I am too. Nice to meet you amigo smiley
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by dustydee: 8:02am On Jan 05, 2016
streetzdreamz:
this ain't about what your driving school says, its the reality!!I bet you haven't witnessed this scenarios before hence your total dependence on handbrakes,handbrakes gets faulty a times and damns any form of repairs, what do you do then?dump the ride cuz of that??there is always a plan b which is sometimes more efficient than a plan A,our opinion must differ just telling you there is a safer option than handbrakes!!sometimes after the vehicle is parked and in a transmission gear,you see people still backing it up with stones or wood behind the tyres,why??no machine is 100% efficient.
Sure, i am only saying you should use it as designed except in unusual circumstances rather that make it the norm.
Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 05, 2016
jnrbayano:

Odi egwu smiley

You sabi drive manual?
I do my best.

jnrbayano:

What is the difference between a parking brake and a handbrake?
I been wan ask that question too o. I saw a post that said handbrake is wrong , it's called emergency brake.
The last time I had that argument with someone, my dictionary confirmed one is NAmE and the other is BrE

Handbrake, parking brake...emergency brake_ all na the same thing.

3 Likes

Re: Car Parking Position. Neutral Or On Gear? by Moyanbe(m): 8:19am On Jan 05, 2016
YoungDaddyB:
When parking downhill it should be on Reverse and Hand break, any other state of parking (uphill or flatland) should be on gear 1 and hand break. Check Car manuals and driving school books. Professional manual driver speaking here.

You nailed it at the right spot.... Kudos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote Trailer Hits Built-up Area In Owode / Leaked Pictures - 2013 Range Rover / 2018 Mercedes-Benz S-Class Gets a Facelift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.