Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? (5672 Views)

Alafin's Wife, Ajoke Celebrates Her 27th Birthday - Photos / Ooni, Alafin Of Oyo, Aregbesola, Oba Of Lagos At A Summit On Yoruba Language / Alafin's Supernatural Power Over Other Oba's In Yorubaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by timawoku(m): 8:05pm On Jan 04, 2016
Arguements has been ongoing on who is really the 'first' of the first class kings, please contribution is necessary, lalasticlala please do the needful, we need information on this...
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by cbrass(m): 8:17pm On Jan 04, 2016
Well by this standards. Size of empire ruled, the Alafin is greater in fact the official Yoruba language for all Oduduwa states is the Oyo Yoruba, for example the Oyo Yoruba was used to write the Bible and not Ife language .it's due to political affiliation that made the Ooni of Ife to be rated higher than the Alafin
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by timawoku(m): 8:33pm On Jan 04, 2016
cbrass:
Well by this standards. Size of empire ruled, the Alafin is greater in fact the official Yoruba language for all Oduduwa states is the Oyo Yoruba, for example the Oyo Yoruba was used to write the Bible and not Ife language .it's due to political affiliation that made the Ooni of Ife to be rated higher than the Alafin
but where did all yoruba come from? Is it not ife? Should ooni of ife then not have strong political affiliation? Methink it was during d war that alafin came to stand, I stand corrected though.
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by TITOBIGZ(m): 8:36pm On Jan 04, 2016
timawoku:
Arguements has been ongoing on who is really the 'first' of the first class kings, please contribution is necessary, lalasticlala please do the needful, we need information on this...

ME. gringringrin
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by cbrass(m): 8:55pm On Jan 04, 2016
timawoku:
but where did all yoruba come from? Is it not ife? Should ooni of ife then not have strong political affiliation? Methink it was during d war that alafin came to stand, I stand corrected though.

Yes you maybe right. The Alafin was powerful and would have attacked Ife he wanted to but it's a Taboo for anyone to attack Ife. When the Queen Victoria of England read that Ife was the ancestral home of the yorubas she decided to make him the paramount but if we judge by battle prowess,power and glory it's the Alafin
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by Gracito(f): 9:07pm On Jan 04, 2016
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by AKYEMITE(m): 10:30pm On Jan 04, 2016
Ooni is greater than alafin, ooni position represent. the headship of all yorubas anywhere in the world. Alafin position represents the headship of a sub of yoruba nation. Can a governor be greater than the president in nigeria, even if u are the governor of lagos state ?. Ife is the headquerters of yoruba nation.

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by cbrass(m): 9:16am On Jan 05, 2016
AKYEMITE:
Ooni is greater than alafin, ooni position represent. the headship of all yorubas anywhere in the world. Alafin position represents the headship of a sub of yoruba nation. Can a governor be greater than the president in nigeria, even if u are the governor of lagos state ?. Ife is the headquerters of yoruba nation.

you need to separate it, point of correction the headquarters is IBADAN , IFE is just ancestral home of the yorubas
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by AKYEMITE(m): 10:04am On Jan 05, 2016
cbrass:

you need to separate it, point of correction the headquarters is IBADAN , IFE is just ancestral home of the yorubas

ibadan ke, lol . bro you want to make our ancestor angry. far from it. make history book your best friend.

3 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by timawoku(m): 11:29am On Jan 05, 2016
cbrass:

baba ife na ancestral home of yorubas na also the headquarter of the whole yoruba. Omo gbon, agba gbon ni afi daa ile ife..(Child is wise, adult is wise, on that basis ile ife was formed)
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by cbrass(m): 3:23pm On Jan 05, 2016
timawoku:
baba ife na ancestral home of yorubas na also the headquarter of the whole yoruba. Omo gbon, agba gbon ni afi daa ile ife..(Child is wise, adult is wise, on that basis ile ife was formed)

now i know you dont know anything
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by cbrass(m): 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
AKYEMITE:

ibadan ke, lol . bro you want to make our ancestor angry. far from it. make history book your best friend.

you people dont get me at all , so where was the seat of awolowo in those days? Ile-Ife abi undecided
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by Nobody: 3:56am On Jan 06, 2016
Some questions for the op, and some other wannabe historian.

Question 1:
Did Oranmiyan (the founder of Oyo) ever reign as an Ooni in Ife after he left a oyo ile, and other smaller settlement to contest for a far more superior throne?
when you answer that question, then I would know what response to give you.

Question 2:
In 1903, long before the birth of Lt.col General Adeyinka Adebayo or before the formation of Nigeria, why did the other obas reject the Alaafin as judge, but advised the Colonial Governor of a greater king resident in the Yoruba hinterland, to help settle the dispute involving Elepe of Epe and the Akarigbo of Ijebu-Remo?
The Alaafin was side-lined, and the Ooni was invited by the new power, the colonial Governor to the Central Native Authority in Lagos to advise on the dispute between Akarigbo of Ijebu-Remo and Elepe of Epe in Remo over Elepe’s right to wear a beaded crown.

Question 3:
If Alaafin was the youngest of the grandsons of Oduduwa, what makes him superior to the likes of his elder brothers you listed above in your write up i.e Oranmiyan, Olowu, Alaketu, Onisabe, Orangun, Olupopo, Oba Benin?

Question 4:
How can the Alaafin apoint an Ooni, when Oduduwa himself was an Ooni?

Question 5:
Why is the Alaafin bowing, and also collecting his certificate of ''occupancy'' from a lesser king in the picture below.
Note: Oba Lamidi Adeyemi became an Oba in 1970.
Oba Aderemi was governor between 1960 and 1962.

I am glad the new Ooni does not have time for any supremacy battle, and has displayed an high level of maturity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by timawoku(m): 8:00am On Jan 06, 2016
saxywale:

Question 1:
Did Oranmiyan (the founder of Oyo) ever reign as an Ooni in Ife after he left a oyo ile, and other smaller settlement to contest for a far more superior throne?

Question 2:
In 1903, long before the birth of Lt.col General Adeyinka Adebayo or before the formation of Nigeria, why did the other obas reject the Alaafin as judge, but advised the Colonial Governor of a greater king resident in the Yoruba hinterland, to help settle the dispute involving Elepe of Epe and the Akarigbo of Ijebu-Remo?
The Alaafin was side-lined, and the Ooni was invited by the new power, the colonial Governor to the Central Native Authority in Lagos to advise on the dispute between Akarigbo of Ijebu-Remo and Elepe of Epe in Remo over Elepe’s right to wear a beaded crown.

Question 3:
If Alaafin was the youngest of the grandsons of Oduduwa, what makes him superior to the likes of his elder brothers you listed above in your write up i.e Oranmiyan, Olowu, Alaketu, Onisabe, Orangun, Olupopo, Oba Benin?

Question 4:

Question 5:
Why is the Alaafin bowing, and also collecting his certificate of ''occupancy'' from a lesser king in the picture below.

I am glad the new Ooni does not have time for any supremacy battle, and has displayed an high level of maturity.
this is quite interesting and educating, I really thank you sir! I always knew the supremacy battle between the 2 kings is quite uneccessary as Ooni is the highest ranked king in yoruba land. Saxywale thanks for the exposure...
Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by scholes0(m): 8:36am On Jan 06, 2016
saxywale:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Lobatan!
Case closed .....
The king of the cradle {Ife Ooye, Ife Odaye} is the highest ranked Oba in Yorubaland. .....

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife Vs Alafin Of Oyo, Which Is Higher? by waleola09: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2016
saxywale:

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

GBAM!!! Case closed, God bless you jare. I wonder where people get their history lessons from.

(1) (Reply)

This Dictionary Proof Yoruba Are Speaking Original Hebrew Language Of The Torah. / What's The Difference Between Ibibio, Efik And Annang? / T.d Jakes Is From Igbo Ancestry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.