Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,871 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:20 AM

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. (26822 Views)

King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Solomonodimegwu(m): 7:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
Eze nri! King of FOOD
BWT! Did i just score a goal?

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by leofab(f): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
okk
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by SoNature(m): 7:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
emmysoftyou:
the names at bolded dosnt look like igbo names.

There are 3 types of Igbo

1. Igbo ochie: People no longer speak it, and Igbos of nowadays may struggle to understand it

2. Igbo ohuru: This is a major change from Igbo ochie and often not in use. Example of Igbo ohuru is "akpa ego ise." Most of us don't even understand it.

3. Igbo ugbua: This is the Igbo we speak and understand nowadays.

In summary, some of the names you didn't understand fall into the category of Igbo ochie.

It is sad most of us claim to be Igbo but we have not done enough to learn our language. Smh

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jan 05, 2016
This is interesting. Do you have any book that give more details on this historical facts?.... I will love to have a copy for myself.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Ndyoo(m): 7:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
missKiffy:
This is weird, especially his wife mourning him while he's alive, also weird is the fact that a burial rite will be done for him while he's still alive. Does it mean that there would be no burial ceremony for him wen he eventually passes on? Udmaster come and answer

It's tradition...The essence is that the king has to die a mortal death and then reign as a spirit. No...The eze nri is not believed to die when he passes on, he's believed to join the spirits and as such another should succeed him. His successor is never his son rather his son is the regent to the throne.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Ndyoo(m): 7:26pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
its done mainly from father to the first son which the new wife after the coronation will give birth to.

Who gave you this information?
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by fluxbush(f): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
We Abians have no link or history whatsoever with Nri. I don't understand why Anambraians believe that ALL Igbos originated from Nri. Balderdash.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Baroba(m): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
Chief Osita Osadebe (RIP) paid a great tribute in his song NRI Sports Club Nke Nigeria, his best song ever in my opinion..

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by kllinxman(m): 7:31pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nice post anyway...
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nice.

I like the intrigues. Seeing our cultural rites unfold is interesting.

It is surprising how long some of them lived. Quite long.

Kudos to the people who have been the active custodians and kept this tradition.

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 7:47pm On Jan 05, 2016
001ng:
Igbo enweghi Eze.

He is Eze Nri, he has no influence in other igbo communities. You guys should stop this hyping. I'm Igbo, my genealogy and that of my village didn't originate from Nri.
Infact when my dad told me our full history I discovered we were from Ijaw and migrated to present day Imo state. He also told me that so many Igbo communities especially from Imo and Abia migrated from rivers and some from Congo. For instance some okrika people live presently in Imo and bears umuokrika.......so the igbos do not hve once source. Basically Igbos were migrants and settlers!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by babyfaceafrica: 7:48pm On Jan 05, 2016
scholes0:

This is 948AD to date, not BC.
Also, some of these Ezes seem to be reigning for too long, some for over 95 years, one even around 100 year reign. How come?
Nice post.
I thought I was the only one that noticed that..how come some Ezes reign up to 95 to 100 years....dey lived that long?..please someone should explain

4 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 8:00pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bigmarx:
Infact when my dad told me our full history I discovered we were from Ijaw and migrated to present day Imo state. He also told me that so many Igbo communities especially from Imo and Abia migrated from rivers and some from Congo. For instance some okrika people live presently in Imo and bears umuokrika.......so the igbos do not hve once source. Basically Igbos were migrants and settlers!
Thats a Lie from the PIT OF HELL.
Nri was the origin of all Igbos, then migration started when Igbos started settling in more hinterland and deeper areas.
- I will recommend you a book on that for you know properly about Nri Migration.

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2016
fluxbush:
We Abians have no link or history whatsoever with Nri. I don't understand why Anambraians believe that ALL Igbos originated from Nri. Balderdash.
I am from Imo and Igbo. Truth be told most Imolites and Abians were migrants. Due to the position of my family I was able to see some historical documents. Though different part migrated from different source. For Instance we were originally Ikwere's and settled in parts of Imo. Some part of Abia originated from the riverside of calabar and Akwa-ibom. It varies from communities. In Imo you have a community umuokrika but they migrated from Okirika in rivers. My dad said some Imo and Abia communities came from Congo. But when they migrated Nri Kingdom was already established. Unlike the Aros that were just wanders, Nri was already an established kingdom when the rest of the region were still wandering.....loool...so technically is not wrong to call Nri the cradle of civilisation in Igbo Land....we met them here undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Malawian(m): 8:02pm On Jan 05, 2016
SoNature:

There are 3 types of Igbo

1. Igbo ochie: People no longer speak it, and Igbos of nowadays may struggle to understand it

2. Igbo ohuru: This is a major change from Igbo ochie and often not in use. Example of Igbo ohuru is "akpa ego ise." Most of us don't even understand it.

3. Igbo ugbua: This is the Igbo we speak and understand nowadays.

In summary, some of the names you didn't understand fall into the category of Igbo ochie.

It is sad most of us claim to be Igbo but we have not done enough to learn our language. Smh

i still recall my Granny of blessed memory, she always uses "akpa ego" when talking about money, whenever she says "akpa ego", my mind will just be thinking about a sac full of money. you can immagine my astonishment when my aunties clued me that "akpa ego" is just 200 naira. grin grin

8 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 8:04pm On Jan 05, 2016
fluxbush:

Are u minding them?? They are always in the habit of claiming other people. I am from an Aro community and I have no ties to Nri. Even there in Anambra, there are many towns that do not come from Nri. Chinua Achebe's ndikelionwu(is an Aro town), Ujari and so many others. Abeg Mr poster, dont post rubbish always specify before u post. It is mainly some towns in Anambra and Enugu that are traceable to Nri.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Jacko01: 8:05pm On Jan 05, 2016
Hw did u knw the exact names n date of their reigns..... Am sure writing was not invented in ibo land til white men came. Yes they cud hav been passed thru poets songs n ballads abi na bards..... But those exact dates comon..... I see mago mago in this compilation

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
emmysoftyou:
the names at bolded dosnt look like igbo names.

They are all original igbo name ... Those who get confused with the name are those who don't know anything about their igbo decent.

Most accent igbo names are hard to pronounce...

4 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 8:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
Nri was the origin of all Igbos, then migration started when Igbos started settling in more hinterland and deeper areas.
- I will recommend you a book on that for you know properly about Nri Migration.

Liar Liar...NRI IS NOT THE ORIGIN OF ALL IGBOS. STOP CLAIMING NONSENSE! Aro, ngwa, owerre, wawa are from an entirely different stock. What do u gain from distorting history

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
Why would I lie to you. The king in my community is from my family and uses a title ************.....the name of the title is the name of the community in Ikwerre still existing and we don't marry from there till date. mind you we have so many other communities that uses the title in IMO and we don't inter-marry.....We are not from Nri...The King of my community will tell us ancient tales that his grand father told him.....many communities in IMO and ABIA are not from NRI some came from Congo, calabar, Ijaw, Okiria and migrated to the hinterland

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
Jacko01:
Hw did u knw the exact names n date of their reigns..... Am sure writing was not invented in ibo land til white men came. Yes they cud hav been passed thru poets songs n ballads abi na bards..... But those exact dates comon..... I see mago mago in this compilation

Igbo have accent writing pattern..... That got lost post colonia existence.

Biko if you don't know something... learn than to sabotage other persons work

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by adozie(m): 8:11pm On Jan 05, 2016
fluxbush:

You Abians??... That's the problem of our society and the major problem in igboland.
What is Abia? What is Anambra??
Mental enslavement. The create states for you, give you a geopolitical name and next thing you start to discriminate, deny and divide your heritage.
I pity for this generation of Igbos

11 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Liar Liar...NRI IS NOT THE ORIGIN OF ALL IGBOS. STOP CLAIMING NONSENSE! Aro, ngwa, owerre, wawa are from an entirely different stock. What do u gain from distorting history
Thank you. Not because you called him a liar though, I wanted to let him know that different communities migrated from different regions. Many migrated from the costal regions to the hinterland. Many Igbo communities came from Congo, Ijaw, Okirika and so on. Though Nri kingdom was already existing when they migrated to the hinterlands.........there are some ogoja living presently in Imo and my mum said it was after the civil war when they returned, they discovered some other people were already living in their homes. Though they chased them away but some managed to clinch on parcel of lands and today they are full Imolites.......

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Oga you are wrong.... Kingship have run in my family for more Than 5 generation now ... As a prince that sat beside the stool of the king... I can tell you authoritatively that Nri was and is and will still be the the father of igbo people...

Go back to your king and ask questions about what the OP wrote ... He is right

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 8:15pm On Jan 05, 2016
adozie:

You Abians??... That's the problem of our society and the major problem in igboland.
What is Abia? What is Anambra??
Mental enslavement. The create states for you, give you a geopolitical name and next thing you start to discriminate, deny and divide your heritage.
I pity for this generation of Igbos
thank you bro! Just imagine them, Abia Igbo, Anambra Igbo etc always trying to cause division.
All Igbos migrated from Nri because it is the Oldest kingdom in Nigeria and Igbo Civilization(days counting, deities etc are from NRI)

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by FOODIC(m): 8:16pm On Jan 05, 2016
Igbo e weghi Eze...... Nri kingdom ends in ENUGU and Anambra..... Im from OWERRI and i neva knew of Nri until i started senior secondary...... Please Nri is not my Ancestor

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
I thought I was the only one that noticed that..how come some Ezes reign up to 95 to 100 years....dey lived that long?..please someone should explain
sure now. The heir apparent was usually given birth when the eze is already old. They start reigning at a very young age and live up to 100
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by nwakibie3(m): 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
PrettyClare7:
Representing uruofolo Nri
Ada Nrijiofor.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:21pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bigmarx:
I am from Imo and Igbo. Truth be told most Imolites and Abians were migrants. Due to the position of my family I was able to see some historical documents. Though different part migrated from different source. For Instance we were originally Ikwere's and settled in parts of Imo. Some part of Abia originated from the riverside of calabar and Akwa-ibom. It varies from communities. In Imo you have a community umuokrika but they migrated from Okirika in rivers. My dad said some Imo and Abia communities came from Congo. But when they migrated Nri Kingdom was already established. Unlike the Aros that were just wanders, Nri was already an established kingdom when the rest of the region were still wandering.....loool...so technically is not wrong to call Nri the cradle of civilisation in Igbo Land....we met them here undecided

Nna gi muru gi..... 100000000000000 likes
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 8:22pm On Jan 05, 2016
princejayboss:

Igbo have accent writing pattern..... That got lost post colonia existence.

Biko if you don't know something... learn than to sabotage other persons work

4 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
FOODIC:
Igbo e weghi Eze...... Nri kingdom ends in ENUGU and Anambra..... Im from OWERRI and i neva knew of Nri until i started senior secondary...... Please Nri is not my Ancestor

That's the problem that kept us where we are today.... Ignorance and craziness... The problem is that most of our fathers left our history in chase of material wealth

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by babyfaceafrica: 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bigmarx:
sure now. The heir apparent was usually given birth when the eze is already old. They start reigning at a very young age and live up to 100
so can a heir reign as young as 10yrs or 15...dats too young for such post!!!!!!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Turbaning Ceremony Of Hon Chibuike R Amaechi In Duara Kastina (Video & Photos) / Olubadan Of Ibadanland Lands In London In Style. Photos / Brazilian Man Eulogize Ifa And Masquerade In Yoruba . Photos & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.