Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,818 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. (26855 Views)

King Onwa 'Eze Awo' Disgraced For Insulting Imo King Online. Photos/Videos / Body Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China, Lands In Lagos Airport / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 8:28pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

The ancient writing system u talk about is called NSIBIDI! it was originated from the Ibibio/Efik people and the Aro's being closely affiliated with the Ibibios were the first set of present day Igbos to use it. It never originated from NRI. Aro is greatly affiliated with the Ibibios in present day Cross-River. Many ancient texts has even ascribed our origin to and Ibibio prince. That is why we have a lot of things in common with them. Even the popular long juju of the Aro people is called - Ibini Ukpabi(does it sound igbo to u). We have the Ekpe cult system and original Aro dialect is very mixed with Ibibio. So pls learn a little about history before u distort it. It is really offensive to see ppl claiming nonsense. In the past Aro people were known as the - Igbocalabar.
so what your tribe now?

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
so what your tribe now?

I am a proud IGBO! It's just that NRI is not my origin! Chikena

6 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 05, 2016
Nri enwlani, Nri Amoke, Tabansi Udene and others are names that we are still conversant with n'ala Igbo.

Some of them even reigned from the cradle. Because the government is republican in nature and so a regent rules in their place until they are ready.

Also, its a known fact that we Igbos do not care who rules or not because we see ourselves equal but when our lands are plagued with problems, we still send emmissaries to Agukwu Nri or Arochukwu for answers before the advent of Christianity.

Lastly, we may not acknowledge the prowess of those hierachies now but myths and legends still confirm how everything went down.

Kudos to the op for the cool write up. Wikipedia is also there to clear our doubts. All the ofe nmanus should just read and not comment. Because most of you guys are here to tarnish Igbo images and identity.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2016
princejayboss:

Oga you are wrong.... Kingship have run in my family for more Than 5 generation now ... As a prince that sat beside the stool of the king... I can tell you authoritatively that Nri was and is and will still be the the father of igbo people...

Go back to your king and ask questions about what the OP wrote ... He is right
You should be last person I will quote on this topic. The king in my community is from my family. We were the first settlers in the community and holds the ofo...we are not from NRI. the king uses a title that bears the name of the community where we migrated from in deep Ikwerre. We don't inte-marry with the communities I also learned that several families too did migrate then and occupy other communities in Imo. It is from the king's title that we know ourselves. My dad also said several communities came from Congo, calabar, ogoja, ijaw etc But when they came NRI kingdom was already Existing. I did not say Nri is not the home of Igbo land it is becos it was the first established kingdom. According to my dad the Aros were the the first wanderers but they did not establish any kingdom they were living like nomads! Nri was the first kingdom. Not all Igbos have their roots from Nri.......read about the aro expedition or learn more about arochukwu....the Aros are also an ancient ppl in Igbo history that dates back to time immemorial.....

4 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by agabusowl(m): 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2016
Excellent write-up my guy, everything you have written is right apart from the heir part. There's nothing like heir to the throne in Nri. Even the next Eze Nri doesn't know he is, and anyone who is the first son of his parent cannot be Eze Nri.
Those who say the Igbos did not come from Nri are those who have no knowledge of the History of the Igbos. There's a lot to learn about Nri. Only kids would say the Igbos are not from Nri.

Igbo bu Igbo, e kelee m unu

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by obstead200(m): 8:34pm On Jan 05, 2016
emmysoftyou:
the names at bolded dosnt look like igbo names.
those names are ancient igbo names. Just the way u have old English.
Anyway, I don't entirely believe the write up. But I must admit that some parts of it makes logical sense. It is also highly probable that the majority of the igbo race migrated from nri. But that will disprove the widely circulated theory that the igbos descended from Israel. But the question is; how did our ancestors land in nri? Did they travel all the way from Israel or what?

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 8:35pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

I am a proud IGBO! It's just that NRI is not my origin! Chikena
I know of Aro. It is an Ancient Kingdom.
- but our Igbo language, Market day counting, and many civilization were from NRI Kingdom.
- Nri Igbo is the oldest Igbo dialect and every other dialect today evolved from it.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by nerilove(m): 8:36pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
its done mainly from father to the first son which the new wife after the coronation will give birth to.
what's the difference between Igwe Umunri of Enugwu-Ukwu and those of Agu_Ukwu Nri u mentioned. Learnt that Eze Enugwu-Ukwu and Igwe Umunri is the head of Nri kingdom. #clarify

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 8:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
udordike:
Nri enwlani, Nri Amoke, Tabansi Udene and others are names that we are still conversant with n'ala Igbo.

Some of them even reigned from the cradle. Because the government is republican in nature and so a regent rules in their place until they are ready.

Also, its a known fact that we Igbos do not care who rules or not because we see ourselves equal but when our lands are plagued with problems, we still send emmissaries to Agukwu Nri or Arochukwu for answers before the advent of Christianity.

Lastly, we may not acknowledge the prowess of those hierachies now but myths and legends still confirm how everything went down.

Kudos to the op for the cool write up. Wikipedia is also there to clear our doubts. All the ofe nmanus should just read and not comment. Because most of you guys are here to tarnish Igbo images and identity.
tarnish kwa? LOL.
IGBO is a Beautiful Noble Tribe/Nation with a strong fortified culture and identity both in Food, Attire, Festival, Music, Sweet Language that gives life to a worship, Beauty, etc. PROUDLY IGBO ANYDAY ANYTIME.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by princejayboss: 8:43pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bigmarx:
You should be last person I will quote on this topic. The king in my community is from my family. We were the first settlers in the community and holds the ofo...we are not from NRI. the king uses a title that bears the name of the community where we migrated from in deep Ikwerre. We don't inte-marry with the communities I also learned that several families too did migrate then and occupy other communities in Imo. It is from the king's title that we know ourselves. My dad also said several communities came from Congo, calabar, ogoja, ijaw etc But when they came NRI kingdom was already Existing. I did not say Nri is not the home of Igbo land it is becos it was the first established kingdom. According to my dad the Aros were the the first wanderers but they did not establish any kingdom they were living like nomads! Nri was the first kingdom. Not all Igbos have their roots from Nri.......read about the aro expedition or learn more about arochukwu....the Aros are also an ancient ppl in Igbo history that dates back to time immemorial.....

The truth is that you right to some point but have a place you missed it..... That is the connection of the pre migration of the aro and the ikwere to their heartlands.... I will go in detail.... When I land ... Got a plane to catch.... JAH bless

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 05, 2016
The same Eze Nri that came to Aguleri for his confirmation as a king? smh

We call this cheap propaganda, Go and ask d so called Eze Nri, he knows the truth!

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jan 05, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
so can a heir reign as young as 10yrs or 15...dats too young for such post!!!!!!
He will be the king only that the council will do the major things until he comes of age. Moreover most kings designate tasks to the council. The king only give final decision based on the report of the council
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:52pm On Jan 05, 2016
princejayboss:

The truth is that you right to some point but have a place you missed it..... That is the connection of the pre migration of the aro and the ikwere to their heartlands.... I will go in detail.... When I land ... Got a plane to catch.... JAH bless
Yeah bro safe trip...Above all am proud to be Igbo.....
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 8:55pm On Jan 05, 2016
Udmaster:
I know of Aro. It is an Ancient Kingdom.
- but our Igbo language, Market day counting, and many civilization were from NRI Kingdom.
- Nri Igbo is the oldest Igbo dialect and every other dialect today evolved from it.

What are u saying?? Did i ever say we don't speak Igbo??I even never calimed we are not Igbos! Igbos DO NOT have one origin! Ngwaa, owerre, wawa, and some others do not share the same origin! What we are talking about here is ORIGIN, and i said We AROS are not descendants of NRI. What do market days and language have to do with this? And besides what is NRi dialect?? How do u know where/how the present day Igbo dialect originated? Igbos being a combination of different people must have mixed languages at some point or probably the language of the more dominant people back then was used.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by obayaya(m): 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2016
Bigmarx:
Infact when my dad told me our full history I discovered we were from Ijaw and migrated to present day Imo state. He also told me that so many Igbo communities especially from Imo and Abia migrated from rivers and some from Congo. For instance some okrika people live presently in Imo and bears umuokrika.......so the igbos do not hve once source. Basically Igbos were migrants and settlers!

Nobody is saying Igbos have one source.. But Nri is the source of many communities in the present day Anambra state. What secured Nri's place in the history and mythology of the Igbos is the spirituality. While other communities fought wars to remain relevant, Nri created a perception of being the spiritual Centre of Igbos. Hence they remained relevant and was a rallying point in matters of spirituality.

You'll hear phrases like Aka Nri - the dwarfs of Nri. The only people permitted to cut down a someone that committed suicide (Ikwu udo). Even People as far as AroChukwu despite how powerful they were sought out Nri in spiritual matters.

The problem with Igbo history is the fact that there was never a far reaching Igbo empire like the Oyo, Kanem borno, Benin Empires.. So basically, the history, culture and ways of the small small Igbo hamlet weren't found worthy of being documented by the Europeans.

But the truth remains that no Igbo community had the kinda clout and position in history like NRI.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Are u minding them?? They are always in the habit of claiming other people. I am from an Aro community and I have no ties to Nri. Even there in Anambra, there are many towns that do not come from Nri. Chinua Achebe's ndikelionwu(is an Aro town), Ujari and so many others. Abeg Mr poster, dont post rubbish always specify before u post. It is mainly some towns in Anambra and Enugu that are traceable to Nri.

Chinua Achebe hails from Ogidi, Chukwuemeka Ike ( Bottled Leopard) is from Ndikelionwu. I happen to come from Onneh close to Ndikelionwu, and I know my way around there, Ajalli, Akpu, Ezira, Ndiokpalaeze, Agbudu and so many other towns.

Most of those towns are pure Aro people like Ajalli (Ujari) but enough of them are missed with Aros and other settlers like Agbudu. But all these people are just the same people.

Some Ijaws, Igalas, Ikweres and others were even there. In short, the greater part of Igbo land ( Enugu and Anambra) belonged to the Igallas before. That's why some villages in the present day Onitsha can never be Obi because they were conquered by the present owners.

But the Igbo influence still went far, uptill some parts of edo, kogi, bayelsa, benue states. The present day akwa ibom and cross river were just a part of the establishment. They worked with Igbos but still kept their identities.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by obayaya(m): 9:03pm On Jan 05, 2016
spiritfada:
The same Eze Nri that came to Aguleri for his confirmation as a king? smh

We call this cheap propaganda, Go and ask d so called Eze Nri, he knows the truth!

Agulueri was founded by the First son of Eri, the progenitor of the Igbos according to the Nri Mythology. So Agulueri is like Diokpa of Nri.

And in Igbo tradition, you can't do anything without the approval of the Diokpa..

I think we Igbos need to study our traditions not the selfish utterances of present day kings who readily distort tradition and history for personal gains
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 9:05pm On Jan 05, 2016
udordike:

Chinua Achebe hails from Ogidi, Chukwuemeka Ike ( Bottled Leopard) is from Ndikelionwu. I happen to come from Onneh close to Ndikelionwu, and I know my way around there, Ajalli, Akpu, Ezira, Ndiokpalaeze, Agbudu and so many other towns.

Most of those towns are pure Aro people like Ajalli (Ujari) but enough of them are missed with Aros and other settlers like Agbudu. But all these people are just the same people.

Some Ijaws, Igalas, Ikweres and others were even there. In short, the greater part of Igbo land ( Enugu and Anambra) belonged to the Igallas before. That's why some villages in the present day Onitsha can never be Obi because they were conquered by the present owners.

But the Igbo influence still went far, uptill some parts of edo, kogi, bayelsa, benue states. The present day akwa ibom and cross river were just a part of the establishment. They worked with Igbos but still kept their identities.

Oooh! sorry i didn't realize i made it look like Chinua Achebe was from Ndikelionwu! I was referring to the storyline behind one of the best books he wrote(The bottled Leopard). It was centered around ndikelionwu and the theme of the book showed the richness of the Aro culture.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Ndyoo(m): 9:07pm On Jan 05, 2016
PrettyClare7:
Representing uruofolo Nri
Babe your face look familiar...I am from Uruofolo too.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by fluxbush(f): 9:14pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

What are u saying?? Did i ever say we don't speak Igbo??I even never calimed we are not Igbos! Igbos DO NOT have one origin! Ngwaa, owerre, wawa, and some others do not share the same origin! What we are talking about here is ORIGIN, and i said We AROS are not descendants of NRI. What do market days and language have to do with this? And besides what is NRi dialect?? How do u know where/how the present day Igbo dialect originated? Igbos being a combination of different people must have mixed languages at some point or probably the language of the more dominant people back then was used.
Just imagine him saying ALL Igbo dialects evolved from Nri! My father will have a stroke if he sees this. My dialect have no similarity with Nri's. For those of you who quoted me to display your ignorance by saying that I don't know my history,my ancestors migrated from Akwa Ibom and settled somewhere in Abia state. We even share a boundary with the Aros. Never have I heard from my elders that we originated from Nri. So all you Nri faithfuls,park one side abeg.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 9:17pm On Jan 05, 2016
obayaya:

Nobody is saying Igbos have one source.. But Nri is the source of many communities in the present day Anambra state. What secured Nri's place in the history and mythology of the Igbos is the spirituality. While other communities fought wars to remain relevant, Nri created a perception of being the spiritual Centre of Igbos. Hence they remained relevant and was a rallying point in matters of spirituality.

You'll hear phrases like Aka Nri - the dwarfs of Nri. The only people permitted to cut down a someone that committed suicide (Ikwu udo). Even People as far as AroChukwu despite how powerful they were sought out Nri in spiritual matters.

The problem with Igbo history is the fact that there was never a far reaching Igbo empire like the Oyo, Kanem borno, Benin Empires.. So basically, the history, culture and ways of the small small Igbo hamlet weren't found worthy of being documented by the Europeans.

But the truth remains that no Igbo community had the kinda clout and position in history like NRI.

That was what the poster made it look like! he made it seem like igbos all come from NRi, which is a big fallacy. Also, this your statement 'Even People as far as AroChukwu despite how powerful they were sought out Nri in spiritual matters', is a BIG fallacy. The ancient AROS were untouchable and they didnt need any spiritual assistance from nowhere. ARO kingdom was the last in the entire South-east(AND I think PRESENT DAY nigeria) to fall to the BRITISH COLONY. it was hard for the british to penetrate due to our popular god 'Ibinu Ukpabi'(popularly known as long juju), which offered superior protection to AROS. We are the only people in Nigeria that have a serious war with the British and they were never fully able to conquer the 'Long Juju' of the Aros. Alot of British wrote books on this and even films and documentaries were made. Read about the 'ANGLO-ARO' war. So coming to NRI for spiritual matters is NOT true.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by MansaMoussa: 9:19pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Oooh! sorry i didn't realize i made it look like Chinua Achebe was from Ndikelionwu! I was referring to the storyline behind one of the best books he wrote(The bottled Leopard). It was centered around ndikelionwu and the theme of the book showed the richness of the Aro culture.
Chukwuemeka Ike wrote The Bottled Leopard" Sir.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by HopeAtHand: 9:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
I like this thread. This thread examplifies the true Republican nature of the Igbo. It is should not be seen as lack of cohesion when arguments are being made as to the origin of the entire Igbo race. Arguments helps to create a clearer picture of the issue at hand.I like the arguments, very insightful and revealing. Big Thanks to udordike, bigmarx and okwadatigbogal aswell as udmaster for your revealing contributions.

As an Ikwerre, the Nri story isnt something we are conversant when our history is told. In all, big ups to all of you.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by HopeAtHand: 9:24pm On Jan 05, 2016
Double post.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2016
obayaya:

Agulueri was founded by the First son of Eri, the progenitor of the Igbos according to the Nri Mythology. So Agulueri is like Diokpa of Nri.

And in Igbo tradition, you can't do anything without the approval of the Diokpa..

I think we Igbos need to study our traditions not the selfish utterances of present day kings who readily distort tradition and history for personal gains

And who is the first son of Eri? Nri right? I guess u ve been fed with illicit piece of fiction
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by okwadatigbogal: 9:26pm On Jan 05, 2016
MansaMoussa:

Chukwuemeka Ike wrote The Bottled Leopard" Sir.

Oh Lord...Its true oooh! I always confuse those two~ I read that book since secondary schoool, almost 15 years ago! Sorry for the 'misinformation'
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Sorry bro. The bottled leopard was written by Igwe Prof. Chukwuemeka Ike. I read that book since my junior secondary days.
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 05, 2016
HopeAtHand:
I like this thread. This thread examplifies the true Republican nature of the Igbo. It is should not be seen as lack of cohesion when arguments are being made as to the origin of the entire Igbo race. Arguments helps to create a clearer picture of the issue at hand.I like the arguments, very insightful and revealing. Big Thanks to udordike, bigmarx and okwadatigbogal aswell as udmaster for your revealing contributions.

As an Ikwerre, the Nri story isnt something we are conversant when our history is told. In all, big ups to all of you.

Everything Igbo they always attract this guy.... hope say you clean.

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by MansaMoussa: 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

Oh Lord...Its true oooh! I always confuse those two~ I read that book since secondary schoool, almost 15 years ago! Sorry for the 'misinformation'
It's okay sir...continue the discuss, I'm following you guys keenly

2 Likes

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by Udmaster(m): 9:35pm On Jan 05, 2016
HopeAtHand:

the truth is that many Igbo groups are descendant of Eri who was a Powerful King and Established a well organised and documented kingdom which influenced many people esp. with his IGBO UKWU CIVILIZATION.
- Republic nature of Igbos is due to migration and expansion into deeper habitation. It is not a lack of cohesion but a reflection of our philosophy Biri Ka mu Biri, Live and Lets Live.. Dats why we have lived in peace with our Efik/Ibibio neighbours for years.
- The Aro Confederation is an Ancient Igbo kingdom who have their descendant scattered around in many areas..

1 Like

Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by genuinechimere(m): 9:41pm On Jan 05, 2016
This post will end up dividing igbos more than uniting them. I'm Igbo, but don't really put much interest about this history stuffs. Whether Nri is †ђξ father of igbos or not, that's actually none of my concern. Lol. Quote me and get a laptop
Re: 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. by fluxbush(f): 9:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
okwadatigbogal:

That was what the poster made it look like! he made it seem like igbos all come from NRi, which is a big fallacy. Also, this your statement 'Even People as far as AroChukwu despite how powerful they were sought out Nri in spiritual matters', is a BIG fallacy. The ancient AROS were untouchable and they didnt need any spiritual assistance from nowhere. ARO kingdom was the last in the entire South-east(AND I think PRESENT DAY nigeria) to fall to the BRITISH COLONY. it was hard for the british to penetrate due to our popular god 'Ibinu Ukpabi'(popularly known as long juju), which offered superior protection to AROS. We are the only people in Nigeria that have a serious war with the British and they were never fully able to conquer the 'Long Juju' of the Aros. Alot of British wrote books on this and even films and documentaries were made. Read about the 'ANGLO-ARO' war. So coming to NRI for spiritual matters is NOT true.
Iya m(big sis in my dialect),you are highly intelligent. I laughed when I saw that statement about the Aros coming to Nri for spiritual solutions. Truly, many Igbos do not know their history well. The Long Juju was the most powerful deity(I stand to be corrected) in all of the entire clans in the present South east region. The only time I ever knew or heard about the Nri people was when my Igbo teacher,who's coincidentally from Anambra,taught me that all Igbos originated from Nri. Greatest fallacy of the millenium.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Turbaning Ceremony Of Hon Chibuike R Amaechi In Duara Kastina (Video & Photos) / Olubadan Of Ibadanland Lands In London In Style. Photos / Brazilian Man Eulogize Ifa And Masquerade In Yoruba . Photos & Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.