Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,790 members, 7,802,466 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:55 PM

9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) (55227 Views)

Pix: This Is The African Star Apple, What Do You Call It In Your Dialect? / 6 Interesting Things You Didn’t Know About Agbalumo / Five Health Benefits Of Agbalumo (african Cherry/star Apple) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 05, 2016

9 Amazing Facts You Didn't Know About Agbalumo ( African Star Apple)

You probably drank some today or maybe over the weekend. It’s sticky body and sour taste doesn’t bother you as you savour the milky juice finding its way out after gentle press. Even more enticing is its reddish inner part. You meticulously remove every flesh on the seed till you see the reddish-brown colour of the seed.

It is known by various names but the famous is Agbalumo among the Yoruba people and Udara among the Igbos. It is known among the English man as African Star Apple and its scientific name is Chrysophyllum africanum or Chrysophyllum albidum.

When I was a child, we used the seeds (we called it paki) for very interesting games and the girls used it for beautification and adorned themselves with the inner whitish halves of the seed.

Let us now discuss the health and nutritional facts about the African star apple.

1 African star apple contains more Vitamin C/ascorbic acid than Orange. This vitamin helps prevent scurvy, a mouth gum disease.
2 If you have sour throat, constipation or toothache, why not try taking Udara.
3 A research by scientist in Covenant University reveals that Agbalumo could lower blood sugar and cholesterol, and could be useful in preventing and treating heart diseases.
4 The different plant parts like the roots, barks and leaves are used for healing cough, yellow fever, high blood pressure and much more.
5 In some parts of Nigeria, the seed is used to treat skin infections.
6 It is believed that consuming the fruit can help fight cancer and diabetes.
7 It could serve as a natural source of Anti-Oxidant booster to remove free radicals from oxidative stress disorders.
8 Agbalumo helps you lose weight. The fruit contributes 3g of fiber to the recommended daily intake of 25 to 38g. Fiber provides bulk to your diet, a factor that can make your stomach feel fuller for longer. This can keep you from eating too much, and it may help you lose weight.
Present in Udara are phytochemicals such as Tannins, flavonoids, terpenoids, proteins, carbohydrates and resins.
9 How is this special fruit which appeals to the taste of almost every Nigerian, beneficial to you? Tell us in a comment. As for me, it is a natural cleanser.

http://passnownow.com/amazing-facts-about-agbalumo-african-star-apple-you-probably-didnt-know/

26 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by FOODIC(m): 10:09pm On Jan 05, 2016
interesting

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jan 05, 2016
FOODIC:
interesting

Sure smiley

1 Like

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by tpiar: 11:36pm On Jan 05, 2016

2 Likes

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 6:18am On Jan 06, 2016
tpiar:
which country is this about now?
Ghana?

Bro, did you read the body of the thread. Smh sad

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Jabioro: 8:08am On Jan 06, 2016
The natural nutritional value is more than what Oyibo are selling to us.

1 Like

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Finn081(f): 11:54am On Jan 06, 2016
I love agbalomo, can't wait for its season to come tongue

1 Like

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Emmyk(m): 3:53pm On Jan 06, 2016
And I'm salivating here...

2 Likes

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
Finn081:
I love agbalomo, can't wait for its season to come tongue

It's already out ooo.

Where I am, its plenty here o. cheesy

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Emodeee: 10:58pm On Jan 06, 2016
Ebayray:

fine girl, i luv you.
iwo nikan lole la agbalumo mi.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by ogunvic41(m): 3:25pm On Jan 12, 2016
What's the source of this info?
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by nbright: 11:30am On Feb 26, 2016
Lalasticlala do something na

1 Like

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 11:45am On Feb 26, 2016
So Agbalumo has more Vitamin C than Orange? Hmmm, that's some useful information.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Zaikon(m): 2:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
@OP in addition the seed is use in curing chronic stomach pain
lemme C if I can get replacement for it Coz I no like am
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Dahkogrin007(m): 2:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
Can i buy Agbalumo on konga or jumia pls

4 Likes

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Kangol99(m): 2:46pm On Feb 26, 2016
tongue Ok

.............See food!!!! tongue

4 Likes

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by haywire07(m): 2:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
Lemme goan think of wat to comment
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by TheArchangel(f): 2:47pm On Feb 26, 2016
Emodeee:

fine girl, i luv you.
iwo nikan lole la agbalumo mi.

Loving a picture, hmmm. She might as well be a man.. undecided
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by KELVIN086: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Chai , see lie
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Pavore9: 2:48pm On Feb 26, 2016
Missing it.
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Mbamally(m): 2:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
Very interesting
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by DONSMITH123(m): 2:49pm On Feb 26, 2016
wao...nice
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Nobody: 2:51pm On Feb 26, 2016
oh yes, so much for a scurvy plagued person Like me. I'll try it out.
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by Kswiss001(m): 2:52pm On Feb 26, 2016
I Iike agalumo die in those days. Remember how i used to lick it around with the gum sticking to my mouth. But now "forming ti take over", grin cool cant see myself licking it around again. undecided undecided undecided

Back to the matter

Nairalanders please show me some love its my BIRTHDAY. I need just 100 likes

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by damilareoye: 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
grin

we take it back to back.
Re: 9 Facts About Agbalumo (African-Star-Apple) by ChappyChase: 2:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
I still hate it!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Is The King Of Nigeria Swallow? Eba, Akpu (Fufu), Amala Or Pounded Yam. / Stir-fry Noodles Nigerian Style. / The Meals Twitter User Made With Less Than 3k!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.