Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,878 members, 7,802,833 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. (21767 Views)

Four (3) Bedroom Flats By West Wood Estate Badore Ajah / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria / I Need Designs For A Storey Building Of Four 3 Bedroom Flats (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by AroOkigbo(m): 7:05am On Aug 08, 2016
I don't know why I always sympathise with people abroad who are building in Nigeria. It is a good thing but can really be very challenging since distance won't allow you to pay a physical visit to your site. You may be building a second house for your contractor without knowing!
Getting a RELIABLE person to oversee one's project can be very frustrating. Even your blood brother MAY disappoint you. I'm a living witness even though I bought my house (Festac) and got it seriously renovated to taste.
Thank God for everything, perseverance is key even as I join well meaning Nairalanders to wish you success.

Someone mentioned Spyder in this thread. That's one guy you can trust though I'm not sure he's experienced/conversant with requirements in the western part of the country. If your project were to be in the east, I can bet my annual salary that you can count on him to deliver, in time and within budget.

Goodluck!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by ini4brandon(m): 7:10am On Aug 08, 2016
UEDIBO:
THIS MONEY U HAVE SPENT CAN RAISE IT UP TO LINTEL LEVEL IN MY PLACE.
same here ooo. The amount is quite scary
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by utenwuson: 7:20am On Aug 08, 2016
basically all u re spending is way too much! I don't want 2 run into conclusion but 88k for 1400 blocks @ 160 for each block? 45k for welder? 35k for capenter? @ ds foundation level? this is way too much bro! u don't have a brother @ home? though I haven't work in d south cos I base in d north but all ds stuff re way 2much! example 9 inch block is sold @ 120 even here in abj plus delivery! frm ur pictures ur land don't necessarily needs all the dpc! a simple filling n dpm should do cos u ll definitely do parafet @ d top so all rods re even waste of money! u just need them @ d edges if u av doubts about d land being clay wc obviously ur isn't! if u continue 2 spend like ds walahi u ll b tired cos d stage u re presently is child play compare 2 what u ll go tru wen u come 2 roofing, woods, ceilings possibly pop" tiles, electricity(wireing) plumbing, windows n doors, plastering, fittings n sm small small things! way 2 much for a foundation bro

7 Likes

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Delafruita(m): 7:24am On Aug 08, 2016
rabcnesbit:
Filling of laterite completed. Next stage will be casting of german floor.
just a few pointers

A registered survey plan can never go for 35, 000naira. Perhaps it was a typograpgical error. At the least a survey plan will be done for about 100-120k. It will be good for you to ensure a proper survey plan was done, registered and lodged because thats the major thing that can enable you get a building approval.

Its good you ensure another level of casting as the DPC level. If money isnt an issue, then its better you get good professionals. I see that laterite was used for filling which isnt ideal because it swells/expands and coupled with the fact there was no chain at DPC level could lead to cracks.would have been better use some other type of sand for filling.

For borehole, better to go with submersible because of the water table in that environment. You can get a good machine in lagos so no need of importing it.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by chigoizie7(m): 7:33am On Aug 08, 2016
Oga, so far, the amount of money u mentioned for don carry the building above lintel level for my area. The prices of ur materials and labour are expensive
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by abiodunijeoma(m): 7:35am On Aug 08, 2016
bros you tried but your survey plan 35k,its registered one or just sketch
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by noble71(m): 7:40am On Aug 08, 2016
OP the next stage is not casting of the ground floor. tell your Mason man to introduce ground beam also know as 'chaining' (site name) or better get a professional.

Civil Engineer speaking...
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by ijeshaboy: 7:43am On Aug 08, 2016
I think OP is been ripped off although I didn't do DPC but the total amount I spent from foundation to this roofing level is around 680 thousand naira, and I only went to d site once because am in far north and the building is in ibadan, the person handling it is not my family member. Note: I never allow him to handle any site material procurement I have those people selling cement and sand number and I mould the block, the only money I gave him is for the iron rod for the lintel casting I used nairaland experience with him althrough. Just concluded it yest.

1 Share

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by obowunmi(m): 7:43am On Aug 08, 2016
Following
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by josite: 7:47am On Aug 08, 2016
why 30k stamp duty on land receipt.stamp duty of such a huge amount should be paid on deed of assignment. a receipt is not an evidence of title .it is an evidence that you paid 30k for the land .
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by obowunmi(m): 7:50am On Aug 08, 2016
Where does one pay 30k for land?
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by cosade(m): 8:04am On Aug 08, 2016
KOMBE:
You need to increase the DPC, it's low.

Do not overlook this point.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by princejones(m): 8:07am On Aug 08, 2016
Nice starting but you need to compare quote from different quarters as in sending someone else to help you check on those things you intend doing.

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Funmiladey(m): 8:08am On Aug 08, 2016
Baba that amnt is just too much , here's a project in Obada oko which is abt three towns away from sango,It's a three bedroom flat aswell , we've only spent 1.6M up to this level. So pls review whatever ur engineer is giving you.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by oreolusegun(m): 8:11am On Aug 08, 2016
rabcnesbit:
Hello all. I am embarking on a project to build a block of four 3-bedroom flats on my plot of land that has been lying fallow for a while now. The land is located at Sango-Ota in Ogun state. I reside abroad so this a project I will have to manage remotely through a good friend who resides in Lagos. I am starting this thread to document my progress, but most importantly to seek people's advice, suggestions and opinions, especially to do with quotations, prices, processes, materials etc. Depending on how much this might eventually cost me, I might just stop at the decking level and take a breather before continuing. So to start with, I have done the following:

land survey, cost N35,000
Architectural plan, cost N75,000

Got the following to do:
Structural engineering drawings
Stamp duty on land receipt
Tax clearance certificate
Developmental levy /receipt
Assessment fees
Processing fee (basically greasing officials' palms each step of the way)

As I get the costings for each of the above, I will update. If the costings seem unreasonable/excessive, please advise. Obviously, this is going to be a slow and long process, so I will not be updating everyday, only when there is something new I need to add. Thank you
goodluck man
all the best
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Ayoolajumoke(f): 8:11am On Aug 08, 2016
rabcnesbit:
Filling of laterite completed. Next stage will be casting of german floor.

congrats op, may God see you through. Amen
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by 2sexynet: 8:32am On Aug 08, 2016
Thank God people are commenting. I thought I was the only one who noticed the exorbitant fees. Like WTF? shocked shocked shocked shocked Them don use OP money acquire land for themselves. KAI.. Nigerians no dey use ear hear say person dey abroad. They see you as an ATM or cash cow. If only they know what folks go through over there to survive. angry angry angry cry cry cry

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by leofab(f): 8:36am On Aug 08, 2016
Thumbs up
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by cmax16: 8:54am On Aug 08, 2016
[OP said he is building "a block of 4 3-bed flat"! Why are you guys comparing with cost from a single 3-bed flat? Una no do comprehension for school ni?

quote author=ijeshaboy post=48293733]I think OP is been ripped off although I didn't do DPC but the total amount I spent from foundation to this roofing level is around 680 thousand naira, and I only went to d site once because am in far north and the building is in ibadan, the person handling it is not my family member. Note: I never allow him to handle any site material procurement I have those people selling cement and sand number and I mould the block, the only money I gave him is for the iron rod for the lintel casting I used nairaland experience with him althrough. Just concluded it yest.[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Teebabie88(f): 8:59am On Aug 08, 2016
What the op has spent is not too much for that level. He's building four 3bedroom flats and not one three bedroom. I would advise the Op to have like three different building contractors that he can always ask for the prices of materials inorder to compare. That is what those staying abroad that my dad build their houses do to be sure he's not trying to cheat them.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by ogoplus: 9:00am On Aug 08, 2016
Funmiladey:
Baba that amnt is just too much , here's a project in Obada oko which is abt three towns away from sango,It's a three bedroom flat aswell , we've only spent 1.6M up to this level. So pls review whatever ur engineer is giving you.

OP is building a block of 4nos 3 Bed room flats.....

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by shonyboi(m): 9:04am On Aug 08, 2016
I am an Architect and I will be blunt. ''I do not think'' the fees are exorbitant as you did not state how large the square area of your building is and therefore there is nothing to compare it with. All that was stated is the amount you spent at each stage. The people that are saying it is high are either ignorant or ''probably use substandard materials''. You can always appoint an independent Q.S to do a cost analysis of what has been done so far if you have trust issues with who ever you gave the construction job to. Simply because someone built his/hers at a cheaper price does not mean yours will be the same. There are a lot of factors involved that may vary from site to site
1)access to site,
2)''Omonile issues''
3) Current price of fuel to power the concrete mixers etc.
4) Type of design (The more angles your building has the more form work the more cost)
5) Size of structural members to type of specifications recommended by the structural engineer

2ndly Appointing a draughtman is cheap and you will definitely get a cheap result. I pray you do get to build another property again and if you do i advice you appoint an Architect. We are expensive but there is a reason for that. Its not just about the ''beauty/aesthetics'' of the house but we are responsible for a whole lot of other things that would have been beneficial to you.

The price paid for the consultants i.e the structural engineer is quite cheap, though i hope he is certified?
I wish you Success on your project and wouldnt mind being invited for the house warming

5 Likes

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Bright4(m): 9:15am On Aug 08, 2016
Very educative write up... Thanks
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by sorepco(m): 9:40am On Aug 08, 2016
My guy i hail the fruit of you labor!! Keep it up.
As for the bore hole..i suggest it waits till ur complete the house. Its like buying butter when u dont have bread yet! Let the b.hole wait for now.
2nd...why not just take it to 6 apartments?? Its just that i c it as a waste of vertical space. .... i hate wastage!! Lol.
3rd..be careful with ur friend. Trust no one with real estate. I ve seen where even brothers dupe brothers with real estate. Make out time to be visiting frequently.... space out you leave period to a 7 weeks break...1 week per leave time to visit if possible. Guys 4 naija no de smile oh!
Best of luck

On

rabcnesbit:
So, thinking of starting the borehole. Would appreciate some advice/tips regarding the type/model/power of submersible water pump to buy, and whether better and cheaper to by it in Naija or ship it from abroad? Also I have heard of solar-powered water pumps, anybody has any advice about these, is there a submersible version, costs to purchase and install etc? Many thanks
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Emeka71(m): 9:42am On Aug 08, 2016
I also want to buy a land at Sango-otta; I want to do a wooden house there.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by ijeshaboy: 9:43am On Aug 08, 2016
cmax16:
[OP said he is building "a block of 4 3-bed flat"! Why are you guys comparing with cost from a single 3-bed flat? Una no do comprehension for school ni?

quote author=ijeshaboy post=48293733]I think OP is been ripped off although I didn't do DPC but the total amount I spent from foundation to this roofing level is around 680 thousand naira, and I only went to d site once because am in far north and the building is in ibadan, the person handling it is not my family member. Note: I never allow him to handle any site material procurement I have those people selling cement and sand number and I mould the block, the only money I gave him is for the iron rod for the lintel casting I used nairaland experience with him althrough. Just concluded it yest.
maybe they just modify the post, I never noticed that, Oga linguist.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by BuscadoRealty: 9:45am On Aug 08, 2016
Good day to you all who have taken your time out to visit this thread. I decided to create it because I believe alot of you will benefit from it and confidently take a bold step to invest wisely.

It is not new that the reason many Nigerians travel out is to find greener pastures and this is why there is always a need to remember that it will do you a greater good when you have a life time investment back home here in Nigeria.

One of the greatest investment I will encourage everyone of you to make is LAND & PROPERTIES. This is because it is an investment that steadily appreciate and is very hard to depreciate. It is a price worth investment that can hardly go soar.

Don't let anyone deceive you that you will get scammed if you make such a decision to invest your hard earned money in acquiring one for yourself. The honest truth is that it only takes very little carefulness and due procedure to be on a very safe side while doing any LAND OR PROPERTY transaction. One of the most important is a good LAWYER who can confirm all necessary documents for you and secondly is someone close to use (a family member) or yourself who will be available to do proper inspection of the the LAND OR PROPERTY you wish to invest in.

Nigeria as of now is still a developing country which makes it an open opportunity for so much investment in this sector. Imagine owning your own space on this earth, that is something you have for life except you decide to sell it off and invest it again in another location or use the money for something else.

God forbid you are kick out of the country you reside now, you should be confident you have something to fall back on when you get home. With your LAND OR PROPERTY you can have access to a loan if you decide to setup a business or do other things that will lift you up.

There is so much more benefits to acquiring a LAND OR PROPERTY here in Nigeria but I don't want to bore you by typing so much here. You can always reach out to me through my contact if you wish to make more enquiries about this topic.

After all being said, I really encourage you all to think about it and make a bold step to implement it because I am so confident it will be one of the best decisions you will be proud of for life.

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by Teebabie88(f): 9:51am On Aug 08, 2016
shonyboi:
I am an Architect and I will be blunt. ''I do not think'' the fees are exorbitant as you did not state how large the square area of your building is and therefore there is nothing to compare it with. All that was stated is the amount you spent at each stage. The people that are saying it is high are either ignorant or ''probably use substandard materials''. You can always appoint an independent Q.S to do a cost analysis of what has been done so far if you have trust issues with who ever you gave the construction job to. Simply because someone built his/hers at a cheaper price does not mean yours will be the same. There are a lot of factors involved that may vary from site to site
1)access to site,
2)''Omonile issues''
3) Current price of fuel to power the concrete mixers etc.
4) Type of design (The more angles your building has the more form work the more cost)
5) Size of structural members to type of specifications recommended by the structural engineer

2ndly Appointing a draughtman is cheap and you will definitely get a cheap result. I pray you do get to build another property again and if you do i advice you appoint an Architect. We are expensive but there is a reason for that. Its not just about the ''beauty/aesthetics'' of the house but we are responsible for a whole lot of other things that would have been beneficial to you.

The price paid for the consultants i.e the structural engineer is quite cheap, though i hope he is certified?
I wish you Success on your project and wouldnt mind being invited for the house warming
. I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by glingev(m): 10:02am On Aug 08, 2016
Bros I will advice you to visit Nigeria often to supervise the project yourself. 'If you want anything done well do it yourself '

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by omozu1(m): 10:29am On Aug 08, 2016
KOMBE:
You need to increase the DPC, it's low.
I agree with you the DPC is low please do something about
The Lord will complete it for you
Amen

1 Like

Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by bfn1: 10:31am On Aug 08, 2016
Following.
Re: Building A Block Of Four 3-bedroom Flats -my Journey. by benjamytes(m): 10:55am On Aug 08, 2016
nice one

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Abnormal Things Lagos Landlords Do Often / Dilapidated Police Station In Otukpo Renovated At Last (See Photos) / Fire Razes Properties, Shops At Alaba International Market, Ojo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.