Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,763 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market (3213 Views)

Amaka Osakwe Blasts Ambode "For Demolishing Her Shop Without Notice" / Demolished Oshodi Main Market Aftermath / Fayose Paying Compensation Before Demolishing Illegal Structures (picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 06, 2016
Business owners, mainly the igbos, at the over 30 years old OShodi main market were greeted on the early hours of wednesday 06 January 2016 with caterpillars, trucks and police officers, demolishing their market place with majority of them having goods worth billions of Naira trapped in the market.

The rumour of the market being demolished had lingered for over 5 years now with a lot of traders believing that since the land in which they operated, where legally obtained. The government provided an alternative market along the Oshodi road in which the traders refused to move to, giving reasons of the unaffordability of the shops ranging from 1 to 3 million.

Last month, it appears the government gave them notice to evacuate. While some traders have started evacuating, the government locked up the market since the 25th of December. The traders have been begging the governent to allow them move their goods but they promised to open the market for them yesterday the 5th but the market wasn't opened and they asked them to come today. By this morning, the government had demolished the market.

The government has once again expressed its insensitivity to the plight of its citizens. What stops the government from opening the market and allow them move their goods? It is sad because the government has broughtx poverty to many homes. The way demolishions are done on this part of the world is evil and te government must compensate the affected traders

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Eledan: 5:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
You should get the message.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jan 06, 2016
Cc: seun, lalasticlala,
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by OgbeifunErom: 5:06pm On Jan 06, 2016
And what the hell are you going to do about it?

If the injustice is too much to bear, kindly relocate to IPOB land

Simples!

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2016
I am not an igbo but a concerned Nigerian. Who feels that there are better approaches to executions

OgbeifunErom:
And what the hell are you going to do about it?

If the injustice is too much to bear, kindly relocate to IPOB land

Simples!

4 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by oduastates: 5:14pm On Jan 06, 2016
How is it insensitive if the needs of the public are more important.
Nowhere in the world will you find government allowing shops, ghettos and churches to choke major roads, major arteries and junctions.
This is not even the use of the powers of Eminent domain.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Lanretoye(m): 5:24pm On Jan 06, 2016
Shay lagos is no man's land now?...na so dem take mouth push nnamdi kanu for cell with biafra bullshii, and all of them turn back.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by funmijoyb(f): 5:26pm On Jan 06, 2016
if lalastic sud put it to front page, i'll use this plot of land for a tribalistic comment against them

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by funmijoyb(f): 5:26pm On Jan 06, 2016
see these people den no dey shame o. yoruba, hausa e.t.c traders are not complaining na only dis wailers.

5 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by oduastates: 5:27pm On Jan 06, 2016
The LASG always gives enough notice before they carry out any demolition.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Pavore9: 5:30pm On Jan 06, 2016
This proves that Lagos has its owners as against the 'no man's land' mantra!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by StOla: 5:37pm On Jan 06, 2016
The development of Lagos should have no recourse to tribal sympathies.

As long as no law was flouted in executing the demolition, I am in full support.

But my greater support goes to any effort that prevents the spring-up of slums, shanties and ghetto markets all over.
The Local Governments should be duly orientated in this regard. They play the greatest role in the degradation of Lagos, with their penchant for all manner of illegal structures presented as markets.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jan 06, 2016
The insensitivity is not the demolition but the fact that the market has been locked since 25th and they couldn't access their goods to move them out.

oduastates:
How is it insensitive if the needs of the public are more important.
Nowhere in the world will you find government allowing shops, ghettos and churches choke major roads, arteries and junctions
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by xtrorp: 6:16pm On Jan 06, 2016
“Karma comes after everyone eventually. You can't get away with screwing people over your whole life, I don't care who you are. What goes around comes around. That's how it works. Sooner or later the universe will serve you the revenge that you deserve.” - Jessica Brody

In Lagos under 'One Nigeria' there seem to exist a silent economic war of destruction of livelihood, burning of markets in the middle of the night, extortion and harassment of genuine businesses by official area boys and street urchins, illegal/multiple taxing of business owners, in markets where Igbos operate e.g. Tejuoso, Alaba International and Ladipo. And now Oshodi electrical & electronic market.

Many of these attracious deeds are conducted at odd times when the traders won't be available to resist the dastardly acts.

Over the decades in the South-West, the Yorubas have systematically burnt Igbo shops as a guise to hijacking the markets from Igbos.

They hide under the guise of city development at the expense of the people's welfare and claim they had given the traders ample time to relocate and yet the demolition is carried out at odd times. Even the proposed alternative shops are exorbitant and out of reach by the common man.

https://www.nairaland.com/2618835/hoodlums-shut-down-alaba-international

https://www.nairaland.com/2846885/tears-lagos-demolishes-oshodi-market

https://www.nairaland.com/2847088/photos-oshodi-electronic-market-demolished

Prior to the 2015 general elections, amidst the threat by the lagoon crooner to drown Igbos, 18 Chisco transport buses were criminally burnt down in Lagos and up till date nothing was done to bring the culprits to book.

What does 'One Nigeria' mean?
A deceit where you are empowered to share my crude oil and wealth as 'One Nigeria' while I am considered a migrant to your State whom you're just merely accommodating and may perish in the lagoon at your command.

It is a chaotic situation where the Oba of a place would invite the representative of a people for discussion in his palace as regards a market leadership dispute only to set an ambush for him and unleash hundreds of thugs to flog and disgrace him.

It is an unjust situation where you're licensed to use foul means to destroy my business in your State with outrageous taxes. You can close my business premises at will while your elites continue to shout 'One Nigeria' to cover up the evils and injustices prevalent in the land. And you still expect me to be docile and continue to suffer silently as your hate and envy for my progress soar high.

Now, do you have any case for unity - fake or imaginary?

If you have there would no need fooling and playing to the gallery and shouting 'One Nigeria'. Or have you ever heard 'One Great Britain', 'One United States of America', 'One Germany'?
That shows that something is fundamentally wrong which many have been shying away from.

Is it a crime for any person/group to choose to opt out of a relationship?

Strange bedfellows, with irreconcilable value systems that are at best suitable for the individual selves, are not meant to be together! The 102 years of existence attest to that verdict!

Victor Hugo once said "no army can stop an idea whose time has come" and that "one can resist the invasion of armies but not the invasion of ideas".

4 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by oduastates: 6:51pm On Jan 06, 2016
xtrorp:
“Karma comes after everyone eventually. You can't get away with screwing people over your whole life, I don't care who you are. What goes around comes around. That's how it works. Sooner or later the universe will serve you the revenge that you deserve.” - Jessica Brody

In Lagos under 'One Nigeria' there seem to exist a silent economic war of destruction of livelihood, burning of markets in the middle of the night, extortion and harassment of genuine businesses by official area boys and street urchins, illegal/multiple taxing of business owners, in markets where Igbos operate e.g. Tejuoso, Alaba International and Ladipo. And now Oshodi electrical & electronic market.

Many of these attracious deeds are conducted at odd times when the traders won't be available to resist the dastardly acts.

Over the decades in the South-West, the Yorubas have systematically burnt Igbo shops as a guise to hijacking the markets from Igbos.

They hide under the guise of city development at the expense of the people's welfare and claim they had given the traders ample time to relocate and yet the demolition is carried out at odd times. Even the proposed alternative shops are exorbitant and out of reach by the common man.

https://www.nairaland.com/2618835/hoodlums-shut-down-alaba-international

https://www.nairaland.com/2846885/tears-lagos-demolishes-oshodi-market

https://www.nairaland.com/2847088/photos-oshodi-electronic-market-demolished

Prior to the 2015 general elections, amidst the threat by the lagoon crooner to drown Igbos, 18 Chisco transport buses were criminally burnt down in Lagos and up till date nothing was done to bring the culprits to book.

What does 'One Nigeria' mean?
A deceit where you are empowered to share my crude oil and wealth as 'One Nigeria' while I am considered a migrant to your State whom you're just merely accommodating and may perish in the lagoon at your command.

It is a chaotic situation where the Oba of a place would invite the representative of a people for discussion in his palace as regards a market leadership dispute only to set an ambush for him and unleash hundreds of thugs to flog and disgrace him.

It is an unjust situation where you're licensed to use foul means to destroy my business in your State with outrageous taxes. You can close my business premises at will while your elites continue to shout 'One Nigeria' to cover up the evils and injustices prevalent in the land. And you still expect me to be docile and continue to suffer silently as your hate and envy for my progress soar high.

Now, do you have any case for unity - fake or imaginary?

If you have there would no need fooling and playing to the gallery and shouting 'One Nigeria'. Or have you ever heard 'One Great Britain', 'One United States of America', 'One Germany'?
That shows that something is fundamentally wrong which many have been shying away from.

Is it a crime for any person/group to choose to opt out of a relationship?

Strange bedfellows, with irreconcilable value systems that are at best suitable for the individual selves, are not meant to be together! The 102 years of existence attest to that verdict!

Victor Hugo once said "no army can stop an idea whose time has come" and that "one can resist the invasion of armies but not the invasion of ideas". 

Blah blah blah
Blackmail won't work.
Shanties will not be tolerated.
It has always been like that.
Bus stations, public ways, railway terminus, public parks are more important for the public good than a shanty market which developed out of the neglect of military dictatorship.
When baba kekere wheeled out his bulldozers in the 80 to sanitise lagos, there were no igbos around to make that noise you are making.
You know why.
Y'all Johnny come lately.
Most of the igbos around were federal civil servants or professionals

By the way, Next destination
Fence taxes, reduce height of Fences to 3ft or
operation remove those fences.
About time to return the village feel of our cities

7 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by xtrorp: 6:58pm On Jan 06, 2016
oduastates:

Blah blah blah
Blackmail won't work.
Shanties will not be tolerated.
It has always been like that.
Bus stations, public ways, railway terminus, public parks are more important for the public good than a shanty market which developed out of the neglect of military dictatorship.
When baba kekere wheeled out his bulldozers in the 80 to sanitise lagos, there were no igbos around to make that noise you are making.
You know why.
Y'all Johnny come lately.
Most of the igbos around were federal civil servants or professionals

By the way, Next destination
Fence taxes, reduce height of Fences to 6 ft or
operation remove those fences.
About time to return the village feel of our cities

Your silly rants can't stop the Igboman from being your landlord!

Despite the pseudo-president Yorubas had in the person of Obj who more or less kowtowed to the whims and caprices of his slave masters, do the average Yoruba person have better welfare than the Igbo person? NO! The Igbo Nation prides itself as having the highest concentration of middle-class citizens while squalor and penury pervade the Yoruba enclave.

In terms of education and enlightenment, the SW has the highest record of illiteracy compared to other Southerners. Of what advantage is then the much taunted free education by Awolowo?

You lots whine, weep, wail, yell, curse and gnash your teeth with thick mucous dripping down your smelly noses as if your whole essence in life is being deprived you just at the mere mention of Biaf...

3 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by oduastates: 7:39pm On Jan 06, 2016
xtrorp:

Despite the pseudo-president Yorubas had in the person of Obj who more or less kowtowed to the whims and caprices of his slave masters, do the average Yoruba person have better welfare than the Igbo person? NO! The Igbo Nation prides itself as having the highest concentration of middle-class citizens while squalor and penury pervade the Yoruba enclave.

In terms of education and enlightenment, the SW has the highest record of illiteracy compared to other Southerners. Of what advantage is then the much taunted free education by Awolowo?

You lots whine, weep, wail, yell, curse and gnash your teeth with thick mucous dripping down your smelly noses as if your whole essence in life is being deprived you just at the mere mention of Biaf...

If the logic and the reasoning of the comments I read on nairaland are the stuffs of the educated from your side,
I will take my illiterate brothers all the time.

14 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by divide9ja: 7:44pm On Jan 06, 2016

[size=14pt]With crimes like this nobody can blame the South-East & South-South for thinking of leaving.
Really and truly Nigeria is the one pushing the South-East & South-South away.
[/size]

the South-East & South-South will survive well, infact there will be more money to go round.

the South-East & South-South should realize that they are better off on their own as you can see what happens.

Even the mods here will tell you one Nigeria but the way they hate the South-East & South-South speaks volumes.

the South-East & South-South have the man power and brains to be on their own.
Its the North that can't survive on their own so they are scared of the South-East & South-South leaving.

I think with Lagos the SOuth-West will do okay!

The North may go back to their groundnuts, but they will miss the oil they have been living off the South.

So the crimes like this that are permitted makes leaving a better possibility
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by raumdeuter: 7:57pm On Jan 06, 2016
If you dont like it relocate

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Karlovich: 8:01pm On Jan 06, 2016
Wicked and lazy yoruba people
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Eledan: 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2016
divide9ja:

[size=14pt]With crimes like this nobody can blame the South-East & South-South for thinking of leaving.
[/size]

the South-East & South-South will survive well, infact there will be more money to go round.

the South-East & South-South should realize that they are better off on their own as you can see what happens.

Even the mods here will tell you one Nigeria but the way they hate the South-East & South-South speaks volumes.

Its the North that can't survive on their own so they are scared of the South-East & South-South leaving.

The North may go back to their groundnuts, but they will miss the oil they have been living off the South.

Seems the SE need the SS more than anything in the world. How many SS owns an electrical and electronic shop in the demolished shanty called market.?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by sayitout1: 8:05pm On Jan 06, 2016
No one is asking the government not to do want they think will benefit their people but my question is, did the same government that gave the warning for demolition stop all its agencies from extortion from this same traders?

...trade permit
...security levy
...Owo chairman
...council fee etc

All I see is already laid down plans to pay the Igbo's.
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Eledan: 8:05pm On Jan 06, 2016
raumdeuter:
If you dont like it relocate
Go and relocate such market in your village
Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by DIVINE78: 8:15pm On Jan 06, 2016
Ibos should move to Biafra.

1 Like

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Hafter1: 8:17pm On Jan 06, 2016
divide9ja:

[/size]

Typical ibo man that cant stand alone. Stop doing attachee, speak for your red mud land and stop dragging other region with you. Ole

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by raumdeuter: 8:25pm On Jan 06, 2016
Eledan:

Go and relocate such market in your village

You can only cry. The next phase of demolition starts soon

Ladipo, Compter village, Aspamda and Alaba in that order

1 Like

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Eledan: 8:33pm On Jan 06, 2016
raumdeuter:

You can only cry. The next phase of demolition starts soon

Ladipo, Compter village, Aspamda and Alaba in that order

That is for the Biafran villagers
They were warned not to dabble into Yoruba politics, but the fool like Ifranyi Uba was pushing them into economic woes.

2 Likes

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by raumdeuter: 8:35pm On Jan 06, 2016
Eledan:

That is for the Biafran villagers
They were warned not to dabble into Yoruba politics, but the fool like Ifranyi Uba was pushing into into economic woes.

Ok. I get you now.

Ambode correct guy

We dey your back gidigba

1 Like

Re: The Crime Of Lagos State In Demolishing Oshodi Main Market by Mentcee(m): 9:48pm On Jan 06, 2016
xtrorp:

You just registered today on Nairaland and posted ten topics already and making great sense. Who are you? May my God bless you and your generation. I'm following you already...

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Picture Of A School In The Niger Delta (pictures) / 2019: Big names that may not return to Senate / The Yoruba Deserve 2023 Presidency, The Igbo Are Not A Serious People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.