Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,134 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt (35251 Views)

Obasanjo Eats His 80th Birthday Cake As Bukola Saraki & His Wife Join Him. Pics / Obasanjo Builds Central Mosque In Abeokuta To Celebrate His 80th Birthday (PICS) / Olusegun Obasanjo Celebrates His 80th Birthday Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Ofunaofu: 5:50am On Jan 07, 2016
Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has
described as ‘abominable distractions,’ statement
by the Rivers State Commissioner for Information,
Dr Austin Tam-George, that the state would demand
refund from him (Soyinka) if he collected cash from
the N82 million allegedly spent by immediate-past
Governor, Rotimi Amaechi on a dinner to honour
him.
Soyinka, who reacted in a statement on Wednesday
night, said it has never been his business to probe
into the “catering and logistical implications” of the
hundreds of recognitions he had enjoyed worldwide
and wondered why the Ameachi gesture has
become an issue under the ‘insecure’ incumbent of
the Rivers State government lodge.
Although he said the allegation has made him
saddened and ‘truly despair”, he added that he was
indifferent to it.
Soyinka in the statement entitled, “Those who
flounder in the sewage of corruption,” said: “This
morning, I saw only the headlines in one or two
print media regarding the 80th Birthday dinner to
which I was hosted by the former governor of
Rivers State, the Honorable Rotimi Amaechi, now
Minister of Transportation. I ignored them. It was
not, and remains not my business to probe into the
catering and logistical implications of the hundreds
of institutions and governments all over the world to
whom I acknowledge an immense debt of
unsolicited recognition over the years.
“Since then however, I have learnt of some unsavory
statements by the insecure incumbent of the Rivers
State government Lodge. These included a loose
invitation to anti-crime agencies to investigate the
potential crime of being honoured through any
occasion. The unprecedented call by this governor
is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent
pamphlet publication THE REPUBLIC OF LIARS, and
was taken from my address to an anti-corruption
global conference that took place in Tunisia two
years ago. Those words were: CORRUPTION
STRIKES BACK. In this ongoing instance, that
expression translates most vividly as “Those who
are neck deep in the sewage of corruption ensure
that they splatter sewage in all possible and
improbable directions.”
“I do however fully support the Wikeleaks call for
multi-directional probes. I recommend further that
he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee
its extension to all international organisations and
governments to whom I owe uncountable events of
recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners,
cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or
simply opportunistic flavoring – to which I have
submitted myself.
“The descent to this present level of abominable
distractions makes one truly despair. It is one that
even I did not envisage when I warned –
CORRUPTION STRIKES BACK! Whether it brings
honour or dishonour to the nation is another matter
– I am saddened, but indifferent.
“EFCC and company – over to you! You all know
where I live,” noted The Nobel laureate.
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/80th-birthday-dinner-soyinka-replies-rivers-govt/

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by ademega(m): 6:01am On Jan 07, 2016
this is seriously serious
BTW why draging the name of one of our finest in Rivers election mess?
the should pack well oh.
to chop anywhere in Nigeria now is dangerous especially free food.

some weeks ago someone dashed me a certain cheque to get a cash for myself. I couldn't return it because that is how he used to dash me but the fear of dasuki had made me to forget the cheque on the table since he gave me.

good name is better than riches.

21 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by MoonChildng: 6:04am On Jan 07, 2016
Hmmmm I wonder how some people get into goverment .

How can he be the one to refund was he given the cash to organise it himself, this isn't Dasuki gate where people were given raw cash.

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by disloman(m): 6:07am On Jan 07, 2016
Wike!make I break it down to you.Gather all the forces to investigate the gathering,You won't find a sh1t.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Baawaa(m): 6:10am On Jan 07, 2016
The unprecedented call by this governor
is prescient of a warning I recounted in my recent
pamphlet publication THE REPUBLIC OF LIARS, and
was taken from my address to an anti-corruption
global conference that took place in Tunisia two
years ago. Those words were: CORRUPTION
STRIKES BACK.
"He who lives in a glass house should not throw stone"

6 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Hernandez88(m): 6:19am On Jan 07, 2016
Ayam coming
Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Mrfahaz(m): 6:26am On Jan 07, 2016
CORRUPTION FIGHTING BACK...............

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Redoil: 6:26am On Jan 07, 2016
Any thief under the umbrela of apc is authomatically a saint.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by theV0ice: 6:27am On Jan 07, 2016
I recommend further that he involve the services of INTERPOL to guarantee its extension to all international organisations and governments to whom I owe uncountable events of recognition – including birthday luncheons, dinners, cultural receptions and events of real, fictitious, or simply opportunistic flavoring – to which I have submitted myself........

“EFCC and company – over to you! You all know where I live,” noted The Nobel laureate.

Nigeria.....the land of comedy cheesy

Wike should probe more dinners and luncheons abeg to recover the money from those who ate there....he should even involve interpol as Kongi advised.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by slyng(m): 6:33am On Jan 07, 2016
Haba prof, do u honestly think wike will decipher this? Kindly break it down for him

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Nobody: 6:34am On Jan 07, 2016
Don't mess with this Prof! Madam Shepopotamus of Otuoke didn't fare any better! Her bloodied nose from the encounter with the Prof is not getting healed any moment yet!!!

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by theV0ice: 6:42am On Jan 07, 2016
MoonChildng:
Hmmmm I wonder how some people get into goverment .

How can he be the one to refund was he giving the cash to organise it himself, this isn't Dasuki gate where people were given raw cash.

Bro, you should understand.... grin

When he man is drowning, he clutches at everything to stay afloat.....even if its a serpent...

They are swimming in a sewage of corruption and they're splashing excreta everywhere in a desperate attempt to avoid drowning.

Just pity them

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by realborn(m): 7:08am On Jan 07, 2016
From all the plenty English Prof wrote, it seems he was given a substantial honorarium from the alleged outrageous money spent. He is being defensive. If he received paltry or insignificant cash gifts from the RSG at the time, his response would have been a one-liner.

If no proof exists to show he did, then "Wikeleaks" may only have to contend with ex-Governor Amaechi and his lieutenants and not Baba 80.

All politicians are corrupt and irresponsible. Their nobel sorry noble friends are also sewer companions. tongue

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Redoil: 7:11am On Jan 07, 2016
odeotito:
Don't mess with this Prof! Shepopotamus of Otuoke didn't fare any better! Her bloodied nose from the encounter with the Prof is not getting healed any moment yet!!!
the mad old professor

8 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by thunder74(m): 7:21am On Jan 07, 2016
I know Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi will not allow any government suspected to be corrupt to organise any party for him. The reason is to avoid getting caught in this kind of mud.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by mccoy47(m): 7:25am On Jan 07, 2016
Mtchewww. See the oil still on his lips from the yam he ate there

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by mrvitalis(m): 7:26am On Jan 07, 2016
Wike should swear that since taken over he hasn't organised a celebration more expensive than this

3 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Mutuwa(m): 7:42am On Jan 07, 2016
smiley
Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Mutuwa(m): 7:42am On Jan 07, 2016
mrvitalis:
Wike should swear that since taken over he hasn't organised a celebration more expensive than this

wink

Even his fellow brother A GOAT is checking out if his name, is among those that ate YAM

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by islandmoon: 7:42am On Jan 07, 2016
good
Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Sijo01(f): 7:42am On Jan 07, 2016
For goodness sake, why spend 82 million naira for a 'mere' dinner? Did they feed the whole country?........ Polithiefians make una fear God and humanity o.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Chanchit: 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
How can a state government be this unserious!

1 Like

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Omotayor123(f): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
Soyinka!!! Hmmmm smiley

2 Likes

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
thunder74:
I know Late Chief Gani Fawehinmi will not allow any government suspected to be corrupt to organise any party for him. The reason is to avoid getting caught in this kind of mud.

Stop insulting Gani. He doesn't roll will people in government irrespective of party. He was a real fighter and a patriot per excellence.

Stop comparing him with Wole Soyinka. Is Soyinka not the same man that worked for IBB junta?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by kenbee(f): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
OK now
Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Smartsyn(m): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
Baba Soyinka please leave big grammar on this matter. Most of the people that are being draged around on the arms deal largasse didn't know the source of the money yet they are being implicated, so if an #80 million birthday party was organised for from the money of the people of Rivers state, you re answerable to it. Ignorance is not an excuse in the court of law or that of public opinion

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by nerdymufasa(m): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
Ogah oo, what am I seeing, N82m for jes a dinner

And somebody will tell me 'agriculture' can sustain this country & satisfy our spoilt politicians & their friends!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by Tobilastik(m): 7:43am On Jan 07, 2016
ME: Hi cutie

HER: Hi

ME: I think You are cute

HER: Thank you

ME: can i go out with you on Friday ?

HER : What do you do for a living?..

ME: I analyse and invest in risky business opportunities that has possibility of high returns..

HER : Wow, that's amazing..so like stock exchange or Something like that?.

ME: Bigger than that, I deal with international investment, analyzing and investing in business opportunities around England, Spain, Germany just to mention a few..

HER : *smiling* OK, that explains your good looks all through!..

If only she knew i was talking about Nairabet grin ;P

51 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 80th Birthday Dinner: Soyinka Replies Rivers Govt by ORACLE1975(m): 7:44am On Jan 07, 2016
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Stand With Nigeria Protest: Anti Riot Police Vans Spotted In Abuja (Photos) / Fayose Questions Source Of Obasanjo’s Wealth / Panama Papers: Adenuga, Andy Uba, 106 Others Named

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.