Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,880 members, 7,798,947 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? (6336 Views)

Help : I Underwent Appendectomy, I Haven't Been The Same Again / Hair Loss Laser Treatment Therapy For Men / Please Where Can Someone Remove A Cut Scar In Lagos By Laser Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by darqly(m): 8:40am On Jun 17, 2009
Hi Peeps. I heard there's a new laser procedure for carrying out appendectomies. Can anyone recommend any hospital in the north where I can get that treatment?
Don't fancy being incapacitated for upwards of 2 weeks convalescing from a regular "Cut and Sew" operation grin

Thanks
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by naijaking1: 5:07pm On Jun 17, 2009
It's actually laproscopic treatment, not laser. There's a big difference.
In laproscopic surgery, 2 or 3 small holes are made on you abdomen, instead of one big hole for the open procedure.
As a physician(like many others I know), if I fall sick, the places, I would to be treated in Nigeria, in order of trained manpower, equipments, and resources are:
1. UCH-Ibadan
2. UNTH-Enugu
3. UBTH-Benin/LUTH-Lagos
4. Uniport/UniJos
5. ABUTH-Zaria/OAU-Ife
6. UniCalabar
-
-
-
-
100. National Hospital Abuja- despite all the equipments, and infrastructure

So, check out #1&2 for lap. surgery, make sure the surgeon has done at least 15 before you lay down on the table. With appendectomy, I wonder if you have too much time on your hand. Good luck.
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by darqly(m): 5:45pm On Jun 17, 2009
@dr naijaking, 2 or 3 holes ke shocked?? Anyway, thanks for the correction and explanation as to the procedure.
Jos seems de closest on the list for now, but like you said, how much time do I have to be picking and choosing. The thingy isn't so much painful as it is discomforting and its sending shock ripples thru my testicles, thats why I'm keen on getting rid of it ASAP.

Thanks a million.
BTW, where are u? Why don't u carry out de procedure sef? grin
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by naijaking1: 6:38pm On Jun 17, 2009
darqly:

@dr naijaking, 2 or 3 holes ke shocked?? Anyway, thanks for the correction and explanation as to the procedure.
Jos seems de closest on the list for now, but like you said, how much time do I have to be picking and choosing. The thingy isn't so much painful as it is discomforting and its sending shock ripples thru my testicles, thats why I'm keen on getting rid of it ASAP.

Thanks a million.
BTW, where are u? Why don't u carry out de procedure sef? grin

Shock ripples? Do you mean kidney stones or appendicitis.
Kidney stones or renal calculi: abdominal pain (left and or right), nausea/vomiting, pain down to testicles or majora libia, pain on urination if the stone has descended---- could be treated with laser, lithotripsy
Appendicitis--- abdominal pain, mostly on the right lower side, nausea/vomiting, loss of appetite, more likely to cause fever--- treated laproscopically or open surgery, more likely an emergency.
I'll be glad to help you, but I'm in NYC
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by dani1luv: 6:57pm On Jun 17, 2009
Future Doctors
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by darqly(m): 7:08pm On Jun 17, 2009
@naijaking,well doc, the initial prognosis points to appendicitis, but I'm having a confirmatory scan done in a few hours to be sure.
Kidney stones? Nah.
Re: Appendectomy- Laser Treatment? by mrucheoti: 3:00pm On Dec 29, 2015
Pls how much does it cost?

(1) (Reply)

Endocrinologist In The House. Ask All Your Questions On Diabetes And Other Endoc / Bump At The Back Of My Head After Haircut Pls Help Me Get Rid Of This / Family Urinate In Bottles For A Year, Store 300 Gallons In Kazakhstan (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.