Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,861 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:49 AM

Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders (2325 Views)

Ateke Tom Didn’t Endorse Resurrection Of Biafra –monarch - Radio Niger Delta. / Ateke Tom Unveiled As Grand Patron Of Messengers Of Peace / Ateke Tom To Buhari: Treat Anyone Who Returns To The Creeks As A Common Criminal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
Yar’Adua accepts militant leader’s ‘White Flag’
•Says amnesty package out in one week
From Ahamefula Ogbu in Port Harcourt and Juliana Taiwo in Abuja, 06.17.2009

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua yesterday expressed his delight at the widely reported decision of the leader of the Niger Delta Vigilante Movement, Mr. Ateke Tom, to accept the amnesty offer by the Federal Government.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/17/207.html
But in an interview with THISDAY yesterday, Tom listed the conditions under which he would surrender, chief of which was the disbandment of the Joint Task Force (JTF), the military body responsible for the security of the oil-producing region.

Yar’Adua was speaking at a joint press briefing of the State House correspondents alongside his counterpart from Sierra Leone, Ernest Bai Koroma, who was in the country to discuss bilateral issues.

Tom, who had on Monday spoken through his lawyer, Mr. Ikenna Enekweizu, at the Nigerian Union of Journalists (NUJ) Correspondents Chapel in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, had said Yar’Adua should define the terms of the amnesty he was offering rebel groups in the Niger Delta, following which he would be prepared to immediately surrender all the arms in his possession to benefit from the government’s olive branch.

President Yar’Adua, while fielding questions from journalists, said: “I am highly delighted by this news that one of the militant leaders is prepared to accept the granting of amnesty by government. In fact, I would hope that all militant leaders will do the same.”

He said: “We are not fighting; we are all Nigerians and what we are trying to do is to guarantee peace and security in the Niger Delta just like in any other part of Nigeria so that people can live, work, carry on their normal duties without fear within the region so that the region and the state can realize the great potentials for attracting foreign direct investments (FDIs) and boosting economic activities.

“Let me say that I am expecting that in the next few days, certainly within this week, for the committee on amnesty to complete all arrangements. I will personally make public all the conditions, procedures and mechanisms for the amnesty. The amnesty centre that will be established, the procedures for granting the amnesty, documentation, camping, training, rehabilitation, getting jobs, for those who require education, sending them to school, all the terms will be made public.

“I will welcome any leader, in fact, I might make bold to say that it will be a great pleasure for me to personally accept the first militant leader who takes advantage of this amnesty to encourage others to do so, so that they can have confidence that we are sincere, honest in granting of this amnesty. We have no other interests than the interests of Nigerians to live in peace and all those Nigerians and non-Nigerians alike who live within the Niger Delta states to live in peace and pursue their activities without fear.”

“So, I welcome any leader and all its members who are ready to accept the granting of amnesty by government and I assure them that within the week, latest early next week, the terms will be made public,” Yar’Adua added.

But Ateke, who spoke with THISDAY on phone yesterday, insisted that the amnesty offer would not be trusted unless soldiers were withdrawn from the creeks to pave the way for surrender.

If the JTF was withdrawn and attacks on Niger Delta settlements halted, he said he would then have things to talk over with the Federal Government on the terms of the amnesty since according to him, a lot is involved in it.

He said: “I like the amnesty offer. It is good and if them mean am, I dey willing to follow it and make peace. If they give me amnesty and they are sincere, I will give up my arms; na small thing.

“The first thing the government go do is to dissolve JTF and stop the attacks for the communities, then we go know say dem dey sincere. How can we come out of the creeks to surrender when dem block all the creeks?

“How can we come out when dem don block all the creeks. As dem block am, if we wan move and meet them, e fit lead to clashes, so once they withdraw, we go come out.”

Asked if he would be willing to surrender all his arms without being paid by the Federal Government, he replied, “Why dem no go pay me for the arms, I pick am for road? After dem dissolve JTF, then we can discuss on how to disarm and then we can come out”.

The Rivers State government doubts the sincerity of the Okirika warlord on the amnesty, saying his statement was diversionary.

A statement from Mr. Blessing Wikina, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi, said Tom should not be taken seriously as he was up to “one of his antics” which usually have telling effects when believed.

To the Amaechi government, Tom ought to have come by himself to state his acceptance of the offer since “peace cannot be achieved by proxy, it is either he is committed to the process or he is not; he is insincere and should not be listened to”.

The government said the people should take the statement of the militant leader with a pinch of salt as he might be plotting a way of re-entering Okrika to unleash another round of mayhem.

Meanwhile, another former militant group that turned peaceful shortly before the commencement of hostilities, Watchdog of Niger Delta, has asked the militia arm of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) to disband in the interest of peace in the Niger Delta.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by texazzpete(m): 6:09pm On Jun 17, 2009
Why should this bloodthirsty demon escape justice under the umbrella of 'amnesty'?!
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 6:26pm On Jun 17, 2009
Odili has pushed enough buttons for his thug. After all his murderous acts. . . .
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Nobody: 6:32pm On Jun 17, 2009
Ateke has always had pals in Government

This guy buried his father with Police security at the height of his activities as Militant.

He has succeeded in negotiating peace for himself, he will probably join mainstream politics and become a card carrying member of a major political party. Well all that wont mean much because most of his boys will still be in the business of militancy.

Worst come to worst those who will stay back in militancy will find a new name.

President Yar'adua will make a public show of unity with Ateke, 6 months down the line Militancy will continue by others who their payout to quit the scene would have run out.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by bawomolo(m): 7:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
texazzpete:

Why should this bloodthirsty demon escape justice under the umbrella of 'amnesty'?!

An attempt to reduce the violence?

What exactly is wrong with an amnesty offer in this case.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 8:01pm On Jun 17, 2009
An attempt to reduce the violence?

What exactly is wrong with an amnesty offer in this case.
That is if there is anything like amnesty here. I think they are trying to lure him out in the open so as to murder him.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 8:02pm On Jun 17, 2009
Tom Ateke is from Okirika, Okirika people hailed from Andoni people. And the Andoni are from the Igbos. The Governor of rivers state Ameachi is igbo. So you may say indirectly Tom Ateke is igbo. This may be is reason for his hate of ijaws.

Musiwa bin Dele again?
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by bawomolo(m): 8:07pm On Jun 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That is if there is anything like amnesty here. I think they are trying to lure him out in the open so as to murder him.

well i doubt anyone would have sympathy for him. What about him men though?

would they surrender.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by phantom(m): 8:23pm On Jun 17, 2009
@becomerich, Been reading your posts on NL with some interest.Now,while you sound fascinating sometimes,i must say that that either the best part of you ran down your fathers legs and ended up as a brown stain on the bedsheet or you are perpetually high on God knows what, FYI the okirikas are ijaws just like the kalabaris and igbani speaking bonny, The difference between each is like the difference between an mbaise ibo and an nnewi ibo, And yes,they do have ibo blood.Dont they all?Cos most of them 'ijaws'have ibo mothers.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Ibime(m): 8:30pm On Jun 17, 2009
becoomrich:

Tom Ateke is from Okirika, Okirika people hailed from Andoni people. And the Andoni are from the Igbos. The Governor of rivers state Ameachi is igbo. So you may say indirectly Tom Ateke is igbo. This may be is reason for his hate of ijaws.

becoomrich:

Here is an article which would tell you, the andoni are igbos and Okirika are from andoni and some from ijaw, so they are more of igbos. this account for Ateke hate of ijaws and his suppport for odili and ameachie.

hehehehe. . . . I be Okrika man. Although I get Igbo blood, this one is news to me regarding Okrika in general.  cheesy

Atekes mother is Ogoni. Maybe thats why he hates the Ijaws  grin
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 8:31pm On Jun 17, 2009
@ becoomrich

Unfortunately, I have to respond to your erroneous post again. You obviously do not know there's a difference between Andoni and Ndoni in RV state. Please consult your maps. Let me help you with some tips. Andoni is a boundary clan east of Bonny close to Akwa-Ibom state and Ndoni is at the tip of RV state on the boundary with Imo state.

I like your willingness to learn so oblige us and post the results of your findings OR you can consult www.ijawdictionary.com to familiarise yourself with all the Ijaw clans and yes phantom is right. Most Ijaw people have Igbo blood as it was the norm to always marry an Igbo girl in addition to your regular wife.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Ibime(m): 8:35pm On Jun 17, 2009
ow11:

You obviously do not know there's a difference between Andoni and Ndoni in RV state. Please consult your maps.

grin grin grin
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Afaukwu: 8:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
ow11:

Most Ijaw people have Igbo blood as it was the norm to always marry an Igbo girl in addition to your regular wife.

Pray tell, what is the possible connection between your assertion above and King Jaja of Opobo (the Igbo boy who became the greatest Ijaw leader ever known)? Did he facilitate the trend of Ijaw (men) marriage to Igbo (women)? Just curious.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Afaukwu: 8:49pm On Jun 17, 2009
Becomeerich is a crass misinformer. When you tell some people to leave their native homes and travel out a bit to gain knowledge, they will say no/mba/iro. Andoni is different from Ndoni and Ateke is from Okrika which has no bearing with Ndoni, an Igbo area of Rivers.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Afaukwu: 8:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
Olodo becomerich,

Jaja of Opobo was Igbo. That is why Opobos speak Igbo. Go back to your Benin republic for history classes
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 8:55pm On Jun 17, 2009
Afaukwu:

Becomeerich is a crass misinformer. When you tell some people to leave their native homes and travel out a bit to gain knowledge, they will say no/mba/iro. Andoni is different from Ndoni and Ateke is from Okrika which has no bearing with Ndoni, an Igbo area of Rivers.

I think he corrected himself

becoomrich:

Jaja of opobo, was never Igbo. He was an ijaw man, who was remove and taken to Opobo. It is know that Opobo people where already there before the ijaw people came there thru jaja .

I think you are wrong on this one. Jaja was captured as a slave somewhere in Igboland and sold to a Bonny chief. He grew to be a successful businessman (not surprising) and along the line became very powerful in Bonny but was schemed out in his bid to take a leadership position due to his ancestry. He moved on with his followers and founded Opobo Town where he was installed as the 1st King. This is a short summary of the history of Jaja. A lot of NLanders have the detailed version.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 9:05pm On Jun 17, 2009
Afaukwu:

Pray tell, what is the possible connection between your assertion above and King Jaja of Opobo (the Igbo boy who became the greatest Ijaw leader ever known)? Did he facilitate the trend of Ijaw (men) marriage to Igbo (women)? Just curious.

There is no connection as both tribes as neighbours have had dealings long before the advent of the slave trade and It is no big deal for an 'immigrant' (not very appropriate) grow to become powerful in his new home. Nigerians hold political positions in foreign countries and it is a testament to the individual's ability to rise above adversity and not some show of tribal strength as Jaja wasn't the only slave that would have been bought into the Pepple household.

Many Okrika people in the past for example believed only girls brought from Umuahia make good wives. This is probably a fad that begun a long time ago but is just fading away due to urbanisation. So I think it was quite popular in Buguma, Bonny and other Ijaw clans like Ogbia and Nembe.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 9:26pm On Jun 17, 2009
becoomrich:

I think you may be right king jaja may not be  ijaw. Which may him igbo. So it make opobo not part of ijaw land. I am still correct.

Not exactly. It is because Jaja founded the town with some Ijaw people from Bonny and Opobo Town today is a bilingual town where Igbo and a dialect of Ijaw is spoken the adjourning Nkoro and other small villages close to Opobo speak both Igbo (due to Jaja) and 'Ijaw'.

So yes, you can say it is an Igbo area and be correct no more than saying Nigeria is an Igbo area.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Afaukwu: 9:42pm On Jun 17, 2009
Thanks ow11.

I was wondering why many Okrika people fancied Umuahia women in particular. I hear more than half of the people of Okrika have half-Igbo ancestry. Although I am from the general Umuahia area, I have not bothered to investigate that trend. It is something that is worth looking into
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Ibime(m): 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
Afaukwu:

Thanks ow11.

I was wondering why many Okrika people fancied Umuahia women in particular. I hear more than half of the people of Okrika have half-Igbo ancestry. Although I am from the general Umuahia area, I have not bothered to investigate that trend. It is something that is worth looking into

Where do you think the people of Ndoki are from? They are Okrika migrants. Last time my pops was in Ndoki land, one old man hugged him and told him that he is their ancestor.  grin
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 9:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
From Ateke being granted amnesty to igbo this and that. Must igbos pay for every wrong doing in Nigeria?
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 9:49pm On Jun 17, 2009

well i doubt anyone would have sympathy for him. What about him men though?

would they surrender.
They are trying to lure him out and the best thing for him to do now is to cling to his kinsmen. I don't trust Yaradua and what he is doing. Amechi is a govt official and will not stand with MEND for any reason. RIP Ateke.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Afaukwu: 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
Ibime:

Where do you think the people of Ndoki are from? They are Okrika migrants. Last time my pops was in Ndoki land, one old man hugged him and told him that he is their ancestor. grin

You mean Ndoki in Abia state? They are definitely a blend of peoples: Igbo and possibly Ijaw. I do not know much about them and have only met one Ndoki person all my life. Her Igbo sounded strange.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
Afaukwu:

Thanks ow11.

This is something I don't get.

I don't really know why the Igbos in South East are never accepted by Rivers people, even though we have a lot in common and even inter-marry.

I know a friend I was discussing politics with from Okrika in the run up to 2007 elections. We started criticizing Orji Kalu and his corrupt tendencies, the guy went like no mind am Orji dey do like Igbo man, na thief him be! I was stunned and went in my head does he not know that actually Orji is Igbo and in fact he was having this conversation with an Igbo man as well.
Does he think 'Igbo man' is synonmous with anything else other than the people of the South who speak the language Igbo.

Guess what two years later this guy has gone to do a traditional wedding in Agulu in Anambra State.

And when he told me details of his wedding and I asked myself 'does he know he has actually married an Igbo girl?'
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by phantom(m): 10:05pm On Jun 17, 2009
Speaking through his lawyer,ateke says hes giving up his arms but not surrendering to the govt.
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by AloyEmeka9: 10:28pm On Jun 17, 2009
What's the difference?
Re: Ateke Tom Accepts Yaradua's Amnesty Offer And Surrenders by ow11(m): 10:41pm On Jun 17, 2009
becoomrich let me help you out with RV knowledge

Akuku-Toru, Asari-Toru, Degema, Bonny, Opobo/Nkoro, Andoni and Wakrike LGAs are said to be the Ijaw LGAs

Khana, Gokana, Tai and Eleme LGAs are Ogoni

Port Harcourt LGA is bilingual as there is the Ikwerre part and Ijaw(Okrika) part and Opobo/Nkoro is also in the same boat like PH.

Abua/Odual, Ahoada West , Ahoada East LGA speak an Edoid based language

Ikwerre, Oyigbo, Emohua and Obio/Apkor are said to be Ikwerre (which many NLanders will say is a dialect of Igbo) LGAs

Etche, Omuma and Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni are the Igbo LGAs

The truth is all these divisions are just too unnecessary(my opinion) which is why RSTV reads news in the 3 major local languages of Ikwerre, Kalabari  and Khana (Ogoni). In the past, all the RV Ijaws saw themselves as different namely Kalabari, Andoni, Opobo, Nkoro, Okrika and Bonny but now the need to unite has seen that members of this clans now see themselves as Ijaw. Maybe one day this coming together of people can happen in Nigeria when the tribes in Nigeria come together to form one super tribe called Nigerian.

Just give this Benin republic thing a rest! This thread is about Ateke's alleged laying down weapons and not Benin republic.

(1) (Reply)

Naija Is A Failed State! / Group Challenges Jonathan, Efcc To Investigate/charge Mrs. Patience Jonathan / Nairaland Stop Encouraging Tribalism And Pay Homage To Emeka Emeagwali.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.