Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,768 members, 7,802,352 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls (14557 Views)

Kogi Polls: Police Uncover Plan To Dress Thugs In Police Uniform / Aregbesola Wins Yoruba Living Legend Award and other awards / Pastor Leke Adeboye Shares A Political Poll Result Of Buhari/Jonathan - Pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 5:50pm On Jun 17, 2009
Adeboye, Kanu, Ojukwu, Gani, Soyinka win living legend poll
By Kayode Matthew
Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The winners who emerged after the collation of results of votes cast by Nigerians through text messages are Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye; Nwankwo Kanu; Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu; Chief Gani Fawehinmi and Professor Wole Soyinka.
LAGOS — THE search for Nigeria’s 5 greatest living legends, initiated by Vanguard Media Limited and Silverbird Group, ended yesterday as five winners out of 20 nominees were announced in Lagos.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/jun/17/301.html

The winners who emerged after the collation of results of votes cast by Nigerians through text messages are Pastor Enoch Adejare Adeboye; Nwankwo Kanu; Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu; Chief Gani Fawehinmi and Professor Wole Soyinka.

Pastor Enoch Adeboye, who is the General Overseer of The Redeemed Christian Church of God scored the highest number of votes with 30.8 per cent of the total votes cast followed by the current captain of the National football team, Nwankwo Kanu with 10.4 per cent of the votes. Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu polled 8.9 per cent of the votes to come third, Chief Gani Fawehinmi emerged the fourth winner with 7.6 per cent votes while Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka came fifth with 6.2 per cent.

The other 15 nominees and their votes are Professor Dora Akunyili 5.6 per cent; General Yakubu Gowon 4.7 per cent; General Olusegun Obasanjo 4.5 per cent; Anthony Cardinal Okogie 4.4 per cent; Chief Anthony Enahoro 3.2 per cent; King Sunny Ade 2.6 per cent; Professor Chinua Achebe 1.3 per cent; Phillip Emegwali 1.3 per cent; Alhaji Aliko Dangote 1.3 per cent and Professor Pat Utomi 1.0 per cent.

Others are Mallam Balarabe Musa 0.8 per cent; Chief David Dafinone 0.7 per cent; Chief Akintola Williams 0.6 per cent and Hakeem Olajuwon 0.5 per cent.

The criteria for nomination was based on selfless service; enduring achievements; sincerity of purpose; resilience; patriotism; uprightness; respectability and incorruptibility.

According to Vanguard and Silverbird, the project was borne out of the fact that “for too long in Nigeria, so much emphasis has been placed on materialism and wealth, which in turn has led to the get rich quick syndrome and the erroneous praise of visibly corrupt and irresponsible individuals, a situation that has led to undeserving and unworthy people being bestowed with National Awards while the real heroes of our time, who have contributed selflessly to the upliftment and development of our fatherland have had their achievements gone unnoticed because of the present day celebration of mediocrity and corruption”.

An award ceremony for the winners will hold on a date to be announced by the organisers.

At the press conference held at the premises of the Silverbird Group to announce the winners were the General Manager of Silverbird Galleria, Mrs Naomi Iwugo, Mr Jacob Akinyemi Johnson of Silverbird, Mr Ikeddy Isiguzo, Vanguard Editorial Board Chairman and Mr Victor Omoregie, Corporate Affairs Manager of Vanguard Media.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Fhemmmy: 6:16pm On Jun 17, 2009
how do they define living legend?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by benchuks(m): 6:49pm On Jun 17, 2009
honestly,the five really deserve the honour.I am particularly happy for Ojukwu because I initially thought that Nigerians will be skeptical of voting for him with regard to his role in the Biafran war.But thank God,Nigerians are decerning and intelligent people who exactly knew the history of the war and how it became imperative for Ojukwu to declare the republic of Biafra then.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 6:59pm On Jun 17, 2009
No woman made the list?. Does that tell you something about the Nigerian populace?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by bawomolo(m): 7:54pm On Jun 17, 2009
fucc what you heard, crime pays

what makes him a legend?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Afaukwu: 8:33pm On Jun 17, 2009
Such polls indirectly tell the population of Nigeria and the number who are involved in socio-political activities- such as polling. Whereas Adeboye, Kalu, Soyinka and Gani cut across the entire Nigerian spectrum, at least the discerning south (and would in all likely have been voted by ALL NIGERIANS), it is almost predictable that an average Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba and Niger Delta (minus Imo, Abia and possibly Akwa Ibom) would not vote Ojukwu as a legend. So who voted for him? Mainly Igbos, I guess; indicating that Igbos are the most populated Nigerians overall, or at the least, have the most number of people who are enlightened as to participate in a poll.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Ibime(m): 9:26pm On Jun 17, 2009
I would vote everyone there as a legend, except Adeboye.

Afaukwu, what makes you think Niger Deltans would not view Ojukwu as a legend? Ojukwu is a qualified legend!
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by MrCrackles(m): 9:28pm On Jun 17, 2009
WTF shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Adeboye,living legend?
Fucking in hell! undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by chinesedoll(f): 9:36pm On Jun 17, 2009
am not surprised at all
those same people that voted him cant even afford to send their wards to his school. . . . .

We live in a very religious society so what do you expect
little wonder we are where we are now
Up till now nobody has explained to me, what makes him a Legend
shior
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by MrCrackles(m): 9:38pm On Jun 17, 2009
chinesedoll:

am not surprised at all
those same people that voted him cant even afford to send their wards to his school. . . . .

little wonder we are where we are now
Up till now nobody has explained to me, what makes him a Legend
shior

It is baffling
Brainwashed people will start worshipping Adeboye soon!
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Afaukwu: 9:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
Ibime:

Afaukwu, what makes you think Niger Deltans would not view Ojukwu as a legend? Ojukwu is a qualified legend!

Most Ijaws would not. I have a number of Ijaw friends and some of them do not hide their resentment for Igbos. I have come to understand that the feeling is pervasive or near so. In contrast, Akwa Ibom people will behave differently than other NDs.

Also remember the comments of Edwin Clark on the presidential bids of Peter Odili and Pat Utomi?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Moyola(f): 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2009
Fhemmmy:

how do they define living legend?

undecided

chinesedoll:

"Very religious society"? Less religious i'd say. . . undecided
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Ibime(m): 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2009
Forget Edwin Clark. I dont think many people trust that old man. Anyway, lemme not speak too much on him.

Ijaws only get pissed off with Igbos when you start mentioning betrayal and bla bla bla. Ojukwu transcends all that debate. He is on record as the first man to fight against tyranny in Nigeria and that counts for a lot anywhere in Niger-Delta. If you think Im lying, why not wait till Ojukwu visits Niger-Delta. You will see the heros reception he will receive.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 9:54pm On Jun 17, 2009
Ibime:

I would vote everyone there as a legend, except Adeboye.

Don't mind Afaukwu and BecomeRich. They speak the thoughts in their minds and not the fact.

I think Adeboye deserves the number one spot and should've won by a higher margin.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 9:58pm On Jun 17, 2009

"Very religious society"? Less religious i'd say.
We didn't vote him in Newsweek's Top 50, did we?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Afaukwu: 10:00pm On Jun 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Don't mind Afaukwu and BecomeRich. They speak the thoughts in their minds and not the fact.

I think Adeboye deserves the number one spot and should've won by a higher margin.

And you speak what thought? The thought of your stomach? What makes Adeboye a legend in Nigeria? At least I am persuaded to assume that more than half of the Nigerian population (I mean muslims) may not have voted him as their legend. Then for the rest half, what has he done for them? How many charities has he established? How many scholarships has he given? Was he not mentioned in custom duties evasion bothering on corruption? Lemme hear word ojare.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by chinesedoll(f): 10:03pm On Jun 17, 2009
Moyola:

undecided

"Very religious society"? Less religious i'd say. . . undecided

Less religious indeed undecided undecided undecided undecided
yet on every street in Lagos
we have nothing less than 15 churches
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Afaukwu: 10:10pm On Jun 17, 2009
Please differentiate between religiousity and morality. No doubt, Nigerians are highly religious people but highly immoral too. More Nigerians will probably be in hell than other Africans put together ( grin ;I duck my head for the expected bombs)
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by chinesedoll(f): 10:20pm On Jun 17, 2009
Pastor Adeboye, is no doubt, a devout Christian and a successful pastor, going by the size of his church – The Redeemed Christian Church of God.   However, the man has not been able to leverage on the enormous influence he wields to persuade successive governments to fall in line even in the face of numerous instances of government intransigence.  

He failed to speak up when the nation needed him most during the 3rd term misadventure of his friend the erstwhile President, Olusegun Obasanjo.  

Even in the field of Christendom, using any bench mark, it is unlikely that Pastor Adegboye will come before Pastor Kumuyi of the Deeper Life Bible Church, if the quality of their works rather than the quantity is considered.

Apart from that can anybody show a foundation he stet up for the less privileged
even his University, an average member of his church cant afford the fees
so what is so Legendary about him being a Pastor?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 10:29pm On Jun 17, 2009
Many scholarships in and around Lagos from RCCG. Ask people.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by SamMilla1(m): 10:33pm On Jun 17, 2009
lol, what did adebayo do to deserve that,
who even nominated him and for what?
for starting a church? right!
ok, i vote for kumuyi, okotie,

what is the name of that one that relaxes and fries his hair?

plus laz muoka, those are the legends,
look at even olajuwon?
dangote, lol.

so people rig text message polls as well,

rubish,  i would put obasanjo ahead of him,

nkem owoh will take my vote before adebayo,
i cant remember how many times i laughed cos of his acts,
Enaharo
Gani

btw how did akunyili show up there?

Aloy.Emeka:

Many scholarships in and around Lagos from RCCG. Ask people.

i bet you are a member of his church,
he baptized you with water and pidgeon, right,
and saved you from going to hell, or from the claws of lucifer, right,
that makes him the legend,

i m outter here,
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Phemytrend: 10:46pm On Jun 17, 2009
chinesedoll:

Pastor Adeboye, is no doubt, a devout Christian and a successful pastor, going by the size of his church – The Redeemed Christian Church of God.   However, the man has not been able to leverage on the enormous influence he wields to persuade successive governments to fall in line even in the face of numerous instances of government intransigence.  

He failed to speak up when the nation needed him most during the 3rd term misadventure of his friend the erstwhile President, Olusegun Obasanjo.  

Even in the field of Christendom, using any bench mark, it is unlikely that Pastor Adegboye will come before Pastor Kumuyi of the Deeper Life Bible Church, if the quality of their works rather than the quantity is considered.

Apart from that can anybody show a foundation he stet up for the less privileged
even his University, an average member of his church cant afford the fees
so what is so Legendary about him being a Pastor?

I think you are making a good point here, I still prefer Pastor Kumuyi becasue he still stand on the truth he believe right from the onset instead of Pastor Adeboye  who has deviate from his calling, scripture and the church is looking for more members to decieve around the world. Futhermore, extorting money from poor women and men for fuelling of Newly bought JET from their so call parishes.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
i bet you are a member of his church,
he baptized you with water and pidgeon, right,
and saved you from going to hell, or from the claws of lucifer, right,
that makes him the legend,

i m outter here,
Yes I am a member and am proud of him.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by nguage(m): 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

No woman made the list?. Does that tell you something about the Nigerian populace?

No
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 10:49pm On Jun 17, 2009

I think you are making a good point here, I still prefer Pastor Kumuyi becasue he still stand on the truth he believe right from the onset instead of Pastor Adeboye  who has deviate from his calling, scripture and the church is looking for more members to decieve around the world. Futhermore, extorting money from poor women and men for fuelling of Newly bought JET from their so call parishes.  
Can you please tell us where and how  Daddy G.O deviated from his calling?. No pastor is better than the other, they just do God's work accordingg to their own calling. So stop comparing the two great men.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by ow11(m): 10:49pm On Jun 17, 2009
I fail to understand why a man like Gani that has dedicated his life fighting injustice and for the rights of the common man is seen a lesser legend to a man who manages to tell us stories from the Bible by Nigerians? I guess it shows our value system and what we consider as important.

Why didn't Vanguard nominate Oyedepo, Kumuyi, Oyakhilome ? what does Adeboye do that this men don't do? What about the Sultan of Sokoto?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Bialegend(m): 10:54pm On Jun 17, 2009
Afaukwu:

Such polls indirectly tell the population of Nigeria and the number who are involved in socio-political activities- such as polling. Whereas Adeboye, Kalu, Soyinka and Gani cut across the entire Nigerian spectrum, at least the discerning south (and would in all likely have been voted by ALL NIGERIANS), it is almost predictable that an average Hausa/Fulani/Yoruba and Niger Delta (minus Imo, Abia and possibly Akwa Ibom) would not vote Ojukwu as a legend. So who voted for him? Mainly Igbos, I guess; indicating that Igbos are the most populated Nigerians overall, or at the least, have the most number of people who are enlightened as to participate in a poll.
Afaukwu, you have said it all. Igbos are indeed the most populated and the most enlightened in nigeria. Forget about that constant rigged census in favor of the hausa/fulani and also their screwed and fake map of nigeria that indicated northern and western nigeria as having the largest land mass.
Some Ijaws and other Niger Delta minorities might vote for Ojukwu because they have currently started regretting the actions of their fathers that put them in the situation they found themselves today. On the other hand, why aren't there any hausa/fulani in the first five?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by Phemytrend: 10:56pm On Jun 17, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Can you please tell us where and how  Daddy G.O deviated from his calling?. No pastor is better than the other, they just do God's work accordingg to their own calling. So stop comparing the two great men.

Please can you tell me WHEN the year you started Redeemed then i will explain futher
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 10:58pm On Jun 17, 2009

Why didn't Vanguard nominate Oyedepo, Kumuyi, Oyakhilome ? what does Adeboye do that this men don't do? What about the Sultan of Sokoto?
Adeboye has more international influence than Oyedepo and Kumiyi. Oyakhilome may be his grade on international influence but he may not have the resources like Adeboye. Go to Europe, Asia, Australia, rest of Africa, North America and ask around about Adeboye.  Did you hear that he gave 50 million Pounds sterlings to UniLag's department of mathematics the other day?
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by AloyEmeka9: 10:59pm On Jun 17, 2009

Please can you tell me WHEN the year you started Redeemed then i will explain futher
Wetin concern year with this?. I started worshiping there since 2007.
Re: Adeboye Wins Living Legend Polls by asha80(m): 10:59pm On Jun 17, 2009
ow11:

I fail to understand why a man like Gani that has dedicated his life fighting injustice and for the rights of the common man is seen a lesser legend to a man who manages to tell us stories from the Bible by Nigerians? I guess it shows our value system and what we consider as important.

Answer=Brainwashed people that clings to religion as the only succor in an insane society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

World Population Hits 7billion Today / CAN Cannot Guarantee El-Rufai’s Safety Next Time / NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.