Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:07 AM

Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? (48027 Views)

Why Buying Iphone7 Is A Complete Waste Of Money / Is Buying And Using Iphone In Nigeria A Waste Of Fund Or Wise Venture? / Netflix Is Bound To Fail In Nigeria, Here's Why (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by lanchy: 9:01am On Jan 11, 2016
bigass:

CDN does not provide the internet to access the content ISPs do. CDN only makes the the servers from which Netflix content loads closer to its users

Erm! Read my post carefully, I did not say CDNs provide internet, I in fact said Netflix should have a CDN on the Nigerian ISP network

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by cahrym(m): 9:03am On Jan 11, 2016
abhosts:
Signed for Netflix 3 days ago. Myself and Wifey watched 7 HD Movies, 1 Documentary, and 3 Episodes of a Series. Just within 3 days it has exhausted 60GB of Data from Swift that costs 25k. So I have decided to get rid of Netflix for now.

Nigeria is not Ripe for Netflix until our ISPs begin to Offer Fast and Unlimited Internet Subscription. DSTV appears to be the only Reasonably Priced option for now.

You get am bros
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by cybriz82(m): 9:04am On Jan 11, 2016
Den y complain abt d data cost.keep watchin ur 7hd na n stop cmplainin here.sum1 offer u a solution u till dey cmplain.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 9:11am On Jan 11, 2016
DanjaNinja:

Wrong. If your internet is fast enough, you can even stream 4K in Nigeria. I used to work for a private firm that had 50Mb/s unlimited internet. They had a direct connection to main one cable. I have friends who still work there and stream 4K videos regularly. However since they dont have 4K devices, they stick with 1080p.

It's not as easy like that bro. U need to have the right device and right internet plan.

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by vokalguy(m): 9:21am On Jan 11, 2016
bigtt76:
Lol 7HD movies and you expect it to be 3GB? The higher the video quality the more data consumed. Change your Netflix player settings to low quality. It's still better.
'

I agree with you. HD consumes data like crazy
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Sibrah: 9:22am On Jan 11, 2016
abhosts:
Signed for Netflix 3 days ago. Myself and Wifey watched 7 HD Movies, 1 Documentary, and 3 Episodes of a Series. Just within 3 days it has exhausted 60GB of Data from Swift that costs 25k. So I have decided to get rid of Netflix for now.

Nigeria is not Ripe for Netflix until our ISPs begin to Offer Fast and Unlimited Internet Subscription. DSTV appears to be the only Reasonably Priced option for now.
Stop generalizing based on one network. The challenge of high speed internet access in Africa won't go away overnight. The cost of ISP service can't be same for europe where the backbone of internet is at and Africa where ISP have to run cable and maintain thousand of miles of fibre optic cable.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 9:23am On Jan 11, 2016
bidemi12:

300Gigs? 3 week? Haba. Wetin una de download?

They stream, not necessarily download. Even for naija here, my network provider have me extra 25gb as Xmas bonus, so I had 50gb of data for December. I finished in under 3 weeks..mostly for streaming .
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by bidemi12(m): 9:25am On Jan 11, 2016
cooooooks:
Youtube, Netflix take a lot of data.

And online gaming too.

For a whole month I've never used more than 90Gigs. We are different sha.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by bidemi12(m): 9:27am On Jan 11, 2016
greenhulk:

They stream, not necessarily download. Even for naija here, my network provider have me extra 25gb as Xmas bonus, so I had 50gb of data for December. I finished in under 3 weeks..mostly for streaming .

Even with that 300 Gigs is quite a lot.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Ximonak: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2016
tsdarkside:

we could bypass this problem by streaming to each other in the area...when someone has a film,he can stream the film to 100 or more people that are near to him,by turning his wlan to a hotspot...this strategie needs more cooperation between people in a area...

this data-bandits would be cut off,and forced to upgrade the broadband in nigeria....

something like this is being done in many locals in nigeria so it could still work

one person with the money buys DSTVdecoder (full subscription) then others in the compound or within the streets pay like 2k-5k depending on the distance (for installation the bus connector and cables) with N500 - N1000 monthly to the owner of the DSTVdecoder. Though there are some disadvantages but everybody within the community is viewing in there homes(mainly sports stations) without paying huge 16k charge for what you don't watch all the time
It's was part of the reason Dstv brought Gotv, but still no better sport station in it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Onegai(f): 9:30am On Jan 11, 2016
MTN offers fibre optics in some locations and those guys are using Netflix. And it's not expensive.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by daproflinks: 9:37am On Jan 11, 2016
abhosts:

60GB for 25k when I used unlimited for 20k monthly bro drop that network
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 9:37am On Jan 11, 2016
bidemi12:

Even with that 300 Gigs is quite a lot.

Yes it's quite a lot, but believe me when u gave fast internet u wont know when u exceed that cap. For example 4 people might have smartphone, and all 4 streaming different movies at the same time. Some people can watch a while 19 episodde season back to back on Netflix. Some even leave it running while they go to the store, they come back and rewind. It's not just Netflix, there's YouTube, etc. People are actually ditching cable TV for streaming in advanced countries. That's why streaming devices like apple TV, roku, amazon fire and Google Chromecast are becoming popular.

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by MicKaro: 9:44am On Jan 11, 2016
This is Dstv propaganda.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by tsdarkside(m): 9:50am On Jan 11, 2016
Ximonak:

something like this is being done in many locals in nigeria so it could still work

one person with the money buys DSTVdecoder (full subscription) then others in the compound or within the streets pay like 2k-5k depending on the distance (for installation the bus connector and cables) with N500 - N1000 monthly to the owner of the DSTVdecoder. Though there are some disadvantages but everybody within the community is viewing in there homes(mainly sports stations) without paying huge 16k charge for what you don't watch all the time
It's was part of the reason Dstv brought Gotv, but still no better sport station in it

like this you can start your own streaming company and its a garantied income...

1 Like

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by tsdarkside(m): 9:54am On Jan 11, 2016
Onegai:
MTN offers fibre optics in some locations and those guys are using Netflix. And it's not expensive.

yes,,but fiber-optic is not everywere...

trying it with data-bundles is financial-madness!!
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by persius555(m): 10:15am On Jan 11, 2016
kelvinili:

i haven't used it b4.

i found them on google. check the site out; i'm pretty sure they offer good internet service. Although, they did not review the speed on their site.

this is their website: http://wifi.com.ng/ click on ''contact us'' and you will see their contact details.
Their coverage is limited to lekki axis.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 10:36am On Jan 11, 2016
Phlegmwash:
Internet data is probably the cheapest thing money can buy in the USA. I am presently on the $35 dollar a month Time Warner Cable(TWC) plan, plus $5 modem rental fee. My white neighbor agreed to split the bill with me, so i pay $20 per month. On top this 20 bucks, i dey stream anything streamable from hulu to netflix to hbo and youtube etc. Monthly data consumption is in the excess of 400 GB.

So I got a notice of a $10 increase from TWC last month because according to them I was on a 2 yrs promotional period which expired last month. I called them to inform them I'm not happy customer anymore, that they should come pick-up their modem. They begged me to retain their services without the added fees!

cry cry
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by bigass(f): 10:43am On Jan 11, 2016
lanchy:

Erm! Read my post carefully, I did not say CDNs provide internet, I in fact said Netflix should have a CDN on the Nigerian ISP network

Ok. but how would this help us access it cheaply and easily since users will still need internet to access it ?
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Rapsowdee01(m): 10:53am On Jan 11, 2016
swagifted:
what's your connection source pls?

Na MTN Hynet... Just contact their customer care.. Tell them u want a special subscription.... Then they'll na ask you your preference
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by VickyRotex(f): 11:26am On Jan 11, 2016
TonySpike:

Flawed analysis. Technically to watch a movie of size say, 700 MB might require you to part with roughly another 100 MB. For your information, streaming contains a lot of error bits/bytes, as well as control packets. Streaming is the same as downloading except that your application plays your data almost instantaneously. Error is almost not permissible here. ..
Well, I wasnt expecting it to be accurate.

I know it's the same.
That's why I said it depends on the protocol used.

If youre using UDP, then streaming is gonna be a lot cheaper than downloading. You can check it out.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by lanchy: 11:42am On Jan 11, 2016
bigass:

Ok. but how would this help us access it cheaply and easily since users will still need internet to access it ?

Please read the original post in it's entirety, it was succinct with all your questions answered in one place, please read it first.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by holyh232: 12:13pm On Jan 11, 2016
mapet:

I had done a mental calculation of this and did not bother to attempt it

this is the best of its kind they even have movies and series that you cant find on netflix https://www.nairaland.com/2856214/netflix-streaming-issues-nigeria-solutions/1
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by cooooooks(m): 12:40pm On Jan 11, 2016
For 7 people isn't bad.

bidemi12:

For a whole month I've never used more than 90Gigs. We are different sha.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Opoki(m): 1:25pm On Jan 11, 2016
VickyRotex:
lmao!!! cheesy

You no know before? angry

HD movies are like 1.5/2GB per hour, now let's say you watched each movie for like 2 hours.

That's 2GB X 2 =4GB

>> 4GB X 7 = 28GB angry

>> 1 Documentary *Coughs* Let's say that one was like 2GB undecided

>> 3 Episodes of a Series.

Each Episode is about 40 minutes. Let's say Each Episode consumed 1GB

1GB X 3 =3GB

Oya 28GB + 2GB +3GB = 33GB

And If you're not rewinding while streaming it ought to require less bandwidth depending on the protocol you use though.

This is just an estimate though

Now where's the remaining 20+GB? Either you used it for other things or ya lying angry angry

Btw, pay me for my analysis. Tanchu! undecided
Your analysis is flawed cos it's not 1.5G to 2G on the definition the op streamed those movies.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by WaffenSS(m): 3:59pm On Jan 11, 2016
greenhulk:

I don't think Netflix can stream in 1080p in Nigeria. It has to go through some approvals and only a few devices can stream in 1080p not to talk of 2k and 4k.

I stream YouTube 2k no probs. Maybe some buffering here and there.
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
ipledge10:
This a way for some company to make money,but no Rich men in Africa dont think...All they are after is illegal money...so many people can make somey now if they start providing unlimited data at a cheaper rate let us...unlimited wifi 200Mb/s at #20,000 monthly 300Mb/s at #25000 monthly and so on...mehn see money.

You get it. Software tech can be the "new oil" in Nigeria. Although it could be cheaper at N10,000/month
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by Phobia1: 6:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
ipledge10:
huge capital
wao! like hw much if i may ask?
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by steveneche(m): 8:47pm On Jan 11, 2016
so u never hear about free browsing cheats..... my brother u are jonzing
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by abhosts(m): 9:10pm On Jan 11, 2016
daproflinks:

60GB for 25k when I used unlimited for 20k monthly bro drop that network

Please could you post a screen shot of your Internet Connection speed test?

I could subscribe if it is fast enough.

Thanks
Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by chrismex(m): 11:06pm On Jan 11, 2016
Ripping mtn off since 1900 they will never rip off my money again enjoying the Netflix and world streaming sport on my phone 350 Weekly my phone is double sim so that is 700 Weekly and it is ok for me to stream the Whole world that week. Pls dont ask me what im Using

Re: Netflix Is A Waste Of Money? by DullardBuhari(m): 1:20am On Jan 12, 2016
Horayce:

Just check on YouTube. There are free tutorials that show you how to install Kodi on your android phone, pc or stick. If u can't do it yourself you can enlist a friend who's more tech savvy. I
Use the Kodi app on my amazon fire stick and its better value than Netflix even if Netflix were 99 cents a month. As someone said already, u have access to everything watchable on the planet at almost zero cost to u (virtually everally US and european major cable channel in the world -- eg. u wont see supersports and mnet, but ud c fox movies and sky sports/bein/ESPN etc, u get the gist.. Its movie catalogue puts hulu, netflix and all other streaming companies combined to shame..and yup Kodi has the best po.rn.).
thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Man Buys Nokia As Iphone From Computer Vilage In Lagos (Photos) / My Experience Using Tecno WX3 Pro / Twitter User Mocks Tecno And Itel Phones, Gets Savage Reply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.