Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:00 AM

I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened (67717 Views)

This Is What I Wore To Interview Today. / When There's No Job And You Are Ready To Accept Any Salary / Government Job And A Firm: Time To Pick One (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by sholay2011(m): 1:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
grin grin
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Nickymezor(f): 1:33pm On Jan 11, 2016
Wld hv loved to see d hair
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by soaksman: 1:39pm On Jan 11, 2016
Girl you can write! You have got good diction and an excellent analytical skill. Why not go into advertising, you can be a copy writer cos you write so damn good! kiss
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Naijasinglegirl: 1:44pm On Jan 11, 2016
Thank you smiley
soaksman:
Girl you can write! You have got good diction and an excellent analytical skill. Why not go into advertising, you can be a copy writer cos you write so damn good! kiss
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by DebbieSean(f): 2:00pm On Jan 11, 2016
Eiya! Sorry sis. That's what we naturalistas face all the time. After I transitioned, people started saying lots of discouraging stuff about how ugly I'll look in it and how strong and unkept it will be but I didn't care as I rocked my fro with pride whenever I feel like. As long as it's always deep conditioned and the right products are applied, it's gonna be great and you can also check for protective styles online if you hair isn't forming nice the curly twist outs. Some if those that tried to discourage me have transitioned too

3 Likes

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by obstead200(m): 2:40pm On Jan 11, 2016
Chanchit:

Its this singlenaijagirl gan gan that I want to see sef not the hair alone, just try get a job in the media and possibly get an OAP job.
Gbam!!!!!

you have said it all. The girl has a way with words. she is going places.

1 Like

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jan 11, 2016
Oh mine. You write so beautifully! . Natural hair and its issues. My church members can't stop asking "what is this"? When ever I wear my natural hair out. Lol.
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by drnoel: 2:46pm On Jan 11, 2016
nicely written
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Kgdavid(m): 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
A friend spoke to her mum concerning my unemployed status and the mum promised to look into my matter.
Recently, she called one evening to inform me her mum asked that I come to her office the following day with my résumé and two passport photographs. My friend also said, “Please dress very well. You know my mum can worry,”
After ransacking my wardrobe in search of the perfect office wear, I sighed in exasperation when I stood in front of a mirror.
You see, I have been indoors for a while and at ease, rocking ‘didi’ in my natural hair since I’ve had nowhere important to go. My didi makes me look like a 15 year old and there is no way I want to look like a 15 year old when I’m out to look for my Chevron job. I quickly loosened my hair and all I was left with was a confused looking afro.
I had discarded the last of my worn-out wigs some weeks back and I was completely disoriented on what to with my hair as I had only a night to get ready. I proceeded to do what they call twistouts, my first twistouts as a naturalista before going to bed.

Next morning, after getting dressed, my heart was pounding wildly as I unravelled my twists. I don’t have the right words to describe how my hair looked when I was done. I was tempted to compare it with twistouts photos on Instagram but I held on to the conviction that what you don’t know won’t kill you and the only way I could get away with the thing on my head was to rock it with an arrogant confidence.

As I walked out of my estate, a white infinity with slightly tinted windows pulled up at a sharp bend beside me and a male voice said,”Hello, excuse me.”
Thinking Mr Right has finally found me, I stopped only for the guy to say a woman hawking bread is coming that I should please wait and help her offload her bread when she comes. Truly, there was a woman hurrying towards his car with agege bread on her head but when I peeped into the vehicle, there was a lady wearing a long Brazilian hair, his girlfriend maybe, fiddling with a Samsung phone.
She didn’t even raise her head to say good morning to a single girl. I was so infuriated!

“You think you people are the only ones that feel like eating agege bread? Is it because I am not wearing human hair that’s why you can’t tell her to get down to help the bread lady or both of you don’t have two hands. Rubbish!” I said.
The guy stared dumbfounded as I walked away.

In the bus to Obalende, I sat on the middle of the second row and eyed everybody behind who stared at my hair from the mirrors. The conductor with his unhealthy mohawk dreads said “Fine girl, this your hairstyle resemble my own.”
“God forbid bad thing.” I cursed.

As I pulled out my wallet to pay my fare, it dawned on me I had no passport. Luckily, I located a small photograph studio by the bus stop at Obalende. The operator, after promising me he was the next best thing after Kelechi Amadi Obi took me the most ugly set of photographs. I know passports are naturally ugly but the ugliness of my photo on the computer screen was beyond comprehension. When I complained as he was about printing them, he said, “But na your hair make it dey so. I snap wetin I see.”
I just pretended to answer a fake phone call and sneaked out of the building so I wouldn’t pay.

On arriving the office, my friend’s mum handed me an address of a recruitment agency in Broad Street and said the manager was her friend, that I drop my CV with her. Then she said “My dear, this your hair sef. I hope she judges your appearance based on what she sees on your passport.”
That was when I told her I forgot my passport. She said I am an unserious person. Then she took out a turban from her bag and I thought she wanted to give it to me but she shocked me by taking off the horrible looking foul nyash wig from her head and replacing it with a turban.
“Wear this wig to take a passport and make sure you bring it back to me on your way from Broad street.” she said. I put the wig in my bag with the promise to wear it once I get to the studio.

My high point of the day came when I was about crossing a road to take a keke. An afro-naturalista at the backseat of a passing vehicle screamed, “I LOVE YOUR HAIR, GIRL.”
When I heard that, my confidence was restored and I resolved not to wear the wig.

I found a 2-min photography booth at Broad Street. This one was run by a lady. I got seated and was reapplying my powder peacefully when the lady came close to me with her cheap camera and a small tooth comb. She told me to bend my head.
“Meaning what? Who sent you to comb my twistouts?” I shouted. “Don’t you know this is the style? Do you know how many people have told me I LOVE YOUR HAIR?”
“Ejo e ma binu. It’s for your own good.” she said as she withdrew.
“Thank you but it’s not your head! Just do the work I’m paying you for please.” I said.
I got my very ugly passports and went to the recruitment office.

The recruitment agent, a soft spoken lady, refused to take her eyes off my hair as she asked me series of questions, based on the information on my CV. When the interview was finally over, she said, ”You are smart but my major concern in recommending you to a potential employer is this your hair. I’m going to call you back in a few weeks for another assessment. Please try to make your hair then. I know money is hard to come by when you have no job but if you can’t afford that, you can even go natural. I heard that’s what is in vogue.”

But I thought my hair is natural?

http://naijasinglegirl.com/i-wore-my-natural-hair-to-look-for-a-job-and-this-is-what-happened/

By the time I got to the middle I just started smiling coz I knew this must be nsg at work. Great work as usual!

1 Like

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Miminat(f): 2:58pm On Jan 11, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
A friend spoke to her mum concerning my unemployed status and the mum promised to look into my matter.
Recently, she called one evening to inform me her mum asked that I come to her office the following day with my résumé and two passport photographs. My friend also said, “Please dress very well. You know my mum can worry,”
After ransacking my wardrobe in search of the perfect office wear, I sighed in exasperation when I stood in front of a mirror.
You see, I have been indoors for a while and at ease, rocking ‘didi’ in my natural hair since I’ve had nowhere important to go. My didi makes me look like a 15 year old and there is no way I want to look like a 15 year old when I’m out to look for my Chevron job. I quickly loosened my hair and all I was left with was a confused looking afro.
I had discarded the last of my worn-out wigs some weeks back and I was completely disoriented on what to with my hair as I had only a night to get ready. I proceeded to do what they call twistouts, my first twistouts as a naturalista before going to bed.

Next morning, after getting dressed, my heart was pounding wildly as I unravelled my twists. I don’t have the right words to describe how my hair looked when I was done. I was tempted to compare it with twistouts photos on Instagram but I held on to the conviction that what you don’t know won’t kill you and the only way I could get away with the thing on my head was to rock it with an arrogant confidence.

As I walked out of my estate, a white infinity with slightly tinted windows pulled up at a sharp bend beside me and a male voice said,”Hello, excuse me.”
Thinking Mr Right has finally found me, I stopped only for the guy to say a woman hawking bread is coming that I should please wait and help her offload her bread when she comes. Truly, there was a woman hurrying towards his car with agege bread on her head but when I peeped into the vehicle, there was a lady wearing a long Brazilian hair, his girlfriend maybe, fiddling with a Samsung phone.
She didn’t even raise her head to say good morning to a single girl. I was so infuriated!

“You think you people are the only ones that feel like eating agege bread? Is it because I am not wearing human hair that’s why you can’t tell her to get down to help the bread lady or both of you don’t have two hands. Rubbish!” I said.
The guy stared dumbfounded as I walked away.

In the bus to Obalende, I sat on the middle of the second row and eyed everybody behind who stared at my hair from the mirrors. The conductor with his unhealthy mohawk dreads said “Fine girl, this your hairstyle resemble my own.”
“God forbid bad thing.” I cursed.

As I pulled out my wallet to pay my fare, it dawned on me I had no passport. Luckily, I located a small photograph studio by the bus stop at Obalende. The operator, after promising me he was the next best thing after Kelechi Amadi Obi took me the most ugly set of photographs. I know passports are naturally ugly but the ugliness of my photo on the computer screen was beyond comprehension. When I complained as he was about printing them, he said, “But na your hair make it dey so. I snap wetin I see.”
I just pretended to answer a fake phone call and sneaked out of the building so I wouldn’t pay.

On arriving the office, my friend’s mum handed me an address of a recruitment agency in Broad Street and said the manager was her friend, that I drop my CV with her. Then she said “My dear, this your hair sef. I hope she judges your appearance based on what she sees on your passport.”
That was when I told her I forgot my passport. She said I am an unserious person. Then she took out a turban from her bag and I thought she wanted to give it to me but she shocked me by taking off the horrible looking foul nyash wig from her head and replacing it with a turban.
“Wear this wig to take a passport and make sure you bring it back to me on your way from Broad street.” she said. I put the wig in my bag with the promise to wear it once I get to the studio.

My high point of the day came when I was about crossing a road to take a keke. An afro-naturalista at the backseat of a passing vehicle screamed, “I LOVE YOUR HAIR, GIRL.”
When I heard that, my confidence was restored and I resolved not to wear the wig.

I found a 2-min photography booth at Broad Street. This one was run by a lady. I got seated and was reapplying my powder peacefully when the lady came close to me with her cheap camera and a small tooth comb. She told me to bend my head.
“Meaning what? Who sent you to comb my twistouts?” I shouted. “Don’t you know this is the style? Do you know how many people have told me I LOVE YOUR HAIR?”
“Ejo e ma binu. It’s for your own good.” she said as she withdrew.
“Thank you but it’s not your head! Just do the work I’m paying you for please.” I said.
I got my very ugly passports and went to the recruitment office.

The recruitment agent, a soft spoken lady, refused to take her eyes off my hair as she asked me series of questions, based on the information on my CV. When the interview was finally over, she said, ”You are smart but my major concern in recommending you to a potential employer is this your hair. I’m going to call you back in a few weeks for another assessment. Please try to make your hair then. I know money is hard to come by when you have no job but if you can’t afford that, you can even go natural. I heard that’s what is in vogue.”

But I thought my hair is natural?

http://naijasinglegirl.com/i-wore-my-natural-hair-to-look-for-a-job-and-this-is-what-happened/
I always enjoy reading your posts.

1 Like

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by doveda: 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
Nkemp:

Omg. U must think you smart. Learn to speak like a literate and not a tout with vulgar languages. If u can let me educate you a bit. You have showed us good African hairstyles. God knows am more inlove with women on their natural hair. But it has to be kept clean and neat. Then to d point of educating you. In nigeria and overseas. In d cooperate world their are dress code. Dress codes don't rely on clothes on your body, but a full up and down having a cooperate look. For the men, good well shaved and clean beard and haircut, for the ladies cooperate wears and good looking hair. Even a proper combed hair is far better than d pix u displaying aside from d last photo. Hope have been able to convince you and not confuse you further abt d African hair heritage. Thank you #applaudise

Don't confuse being a feminist and proud African with being stupid. Pass ur message like an adult. I only hope am speaking to o

God! You are so stupid. Weave looks neat because your masters have conditioned you to believe that your natural hair looks dirty. News flash! My hair does not look dirty in its natural form. I refuse to be enslaved by your masters' ideology.cheesy

Now let me educate you. I was not born with ‘straightened and neat hair'. I was born with curly, coily or kinky hair. That is the way my hair is supposed to look like, not like the last picture, du..mbass. Once upon a time, the corporate world was dominated by people with ‘good hair', thin lips etc. This is the 21st century, the corporate world is all-inclusive. So it is high time losers and fools like yourself appreciate one of the natural features that makes an African an ‘African'.

I will pass my message like an adult when you start thinking like onecheesy

Will you like a banana, monkey?grin

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by doveda: 3:34pm On Jan 11, 2016
McSquishi:
I guess the natural hair movement has not swept the nation like here in the U.S. undecided

But seriously even here you get odd comments from older family members about why your hair isn't "done", you get awkward looks and sometimes comments from coworkers. My besties see the growth I gained from not relaxing and tell me how long my hair would look now if I relaxed again (huh?)

Going natural is revolutionary. Even for ppl who share the same type of hair & history to you. We are conditioned to believe that hair is meant to be straight, meant to be as Euro looking as possible. When u don't conform to that norm, it's gonna bring out those who aren't "woke", just be patient w/ them.

I uploaded my first twist out to Twitter and a guy, now blocked, said in attempt to insult me that my hair resembled a sheep dog. LoL. So ignorance is everywhere. But here in the U.S. almost every commercial I'm seeing w/ Blk women have them w/ naturally curly/kinky hair. It's amazing. If naija isn't there yet, it will be soon... I hope.

Nkemp, that is for you
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by doveda: 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2016
frakdon:
a sheep dog? The guy was probably right, but anyways, never mind......

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by okparea(m): 3:43pm On Jan 11, 2016
nxt time try to post the picture of your ugly face
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by frakdon(m): 4:01pm On Jan 11, 2016
McSquishi:

^^ see, ignorant ppl come with the territory. My hair looks like a Black woman's hair is supposed to look. Comparing my natural features to that of an animal is dehumanizing but I guess your parents didn't teach you that.

Moving right along.
today, I am gonna make a lot of enemies....if my imagination serves me right, I thought,sheep dogs are cute and adorable,no?? In other words,the hairstyle fits you...
I meant not to spite you, you know.

1 Like

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by frakdon(m): 4:02pm On Jan 11, 2016
doveda:

Ode!
Slave!
Monkey banana!
I die...
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by doveda: 4:03pm On Jan 11, 2016
frakdon:
I die...

Pele
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by doveda: 4:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
frakdon:
today, I am gonna make a lot of enemies....if my imagination serves me right, I thought,sheep dogs are cute and adorable,no?? In other words,the hairstyle fits you...

Nah, the natural hair topic is very sensitive. If you are aware of what we go through, you won't make jokes about it. I am sorry.

1 Like

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Nobody: 4:05pm On Jan 11, 2016
Naijasinglegirl:
I know I am too old for this but FT... lol

Don't forget to always visit my blog at http://www.naijasinglegirl.com
Please like this Facebook group https://www./446161868914079/. it's for bloggers like you and me
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by LastSurvivor: 4:07pm On Jan 11, 2016
Even with this ur lies u still have a very very good narrative power..
I wish I can tell a story like u..
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by frakdon(m): 4:10pm On Jan 11, 2016
doveda:

Nah, the natural hair topic is very sensitive. If you are aware of what we go through, you won't make jokes about it. I am sorry.
aww* I wouldn't have known what you ladies go through when on,natural hair, but trust me I am a bigger fan of natural hair...
I appreciate natural hair alot..my apologies on the joke, though..

2 Likes

Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by McSquishi(f): 4:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
frakdon:

Monkeys are cute & adorable but if someone calls me that, I know I'm not being complimented.

I mentioned I was referred to that way in an insult. So for you to agree with the insult makes it difficult for me to see your comment as anything but that: an insult. But if you say you meant no harm, I'll take u at your word. wink
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by JustHere2Observ(f): 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2016
Lol, very interesting story, I had the same negative reactions from colleagues and bosses at work when I went natural. Some even asked if my husband is now a pastor, so annoying.
But now that my hair is moderately long, they envy me when I style it.
Naturalistas rock, love your curls.
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Samhetalks(m): 4:30pm On Jan 11, 2016
I just gbadun u @op. Brilliantly written. But abeg try do ur hair b4 d nxt date for interview b4 d lady b like "so u didn't make ur hair abi, if u want d job, com and take it". Lol
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by frakdon(m): 4:53pm On Jan 11, 2016
McSquishi:

Monkeys are cute & adorable but if someone calls me that, I know I'm not being complimented.

I mentioned I was referred to that way in an insult. So for you to agree with the insult makes it difficult for me to see your comment as anything but that: an insult. But if you say you meant no harm, I'll take u at your word. wink
yeah...and I guess that makes me a typical human, can never be perfect with the expression of our inner feelings through words, yeah no harm, meant.....
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by glowzy: 5:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
Naijasinglegirl I always look forward to your post, you can be so funny

If your story is really true then you need to up your natural hair maintenance

lack of care and neglect of natural hair can make one look unkempt and

unpresentable especially in corporate setting.

see how to maintain and condition natural hair to look soft, silky and lovely

without breaking the bank http://ebonytalknaija..com.ng/
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Mike008(m): 5:30pm On Jan 11, 2016
Humor - 30%

Pictorial Representation - 0%

Creativity - 70%

Am not a fan of lengthy write-up, but I was patient to the end, then was gutted to not see a picture.

You try sha, its not easy to come up with an imaginative and creative story.

#Everybodywantstoblog
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by Kezzy24(f): 5:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
Interesting and funny write-up,kudos!
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by lorelle(f): 6:16pm On Jan 11, 2016
I'm not natural, I'm texlaxed which is somewhat close to natural hair in terms of appearance but whenever I have to make an official appearance I put it in a bun and sleek my edges down for that sleek look. The truth is that a lot of us are yet to accept the appearance of our hair texture especially in the corporate setting so the best thing to do is blend in. When you get the job you can rock your fro.... We will get there one day!
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by akankemi1(f): 6:36pm On Jan 11, 2016
picture of the twist out at least
Re: I Wore My Natural Hair To Look For A Job And Here Is What Happened by activelyA(f): 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2016
dnacrystal:
Why so serious? Acting damn mysterious.
Lmao grin grin grin grin grin grin
And curIOUS
along with bosterIOUS
must be tedIOUS

You go fear rhymes na grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Nephew Got This Message From A Job He Applied For In The US From Nigeria / Graduate Job Vacancies- You Can Apply If You Are Qualified / Polaris Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.