Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,405 members, 7,800,826 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? (3814 Views)

My Oil Indicator Is On Constantly (golf IV 1.4) / Volkswagen Golf Iv / 406 Vs Golf Iv (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by mufasa(m): 3:55pm On Jun 18, 2009
Dear Siena and other VAG peoples grin

I am thinking of getting a compact car, and my mind is on the VW Mark IV (VR 6, Auto Transmission, AC, 4 Doors) to 9ja

1. Is it cheaper to get from Europe (Germany) than the US since it is a German machine
2. Does it even come in Auto cos i've gone through autosout24.com and all i see is the 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 in auto  undecided
3. What issues does this car have since your are one of the chief VAG person on board here.
4. I will be in the Uk for about 6 days and need to get anwers as soon as you can, so make i know if to step into germany briefly to get the Mark IV.
5. One more thing , If i decide to buy from europe will you be willing to do some mods to it for me before shipping to 9ja.

Thanks boss
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jun 18, 2009
Mufasa, no, the VW Golf IV doesn't come as a V6, in conjunction with automatic tranny (thank the Lord for that!).

German cars are generally more expensive than UK cars, though UK cars have better base spec.

The only issue the Golf IV has is front suspension components - the V6 is a heavy lump, so front suspension bushes wear out much faster than in I4 and V5 models. The V6 develops 204hp, so you won't be lacking in power. handling isn't great on any Golf IV, as the suspension is very soft, so expect lots of body roll. Worse in V6 form, but a decent suspension upgrade (Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs) will sort that out.

Yes, mods can be done to the car before shipping to Nigeria.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by mufasa(m): 6:55pm On Jun 18, 2009
Ok so in your opinion which one do you think will be ok 1.6. 1.8, 2.0, VR5, VR6.

The Uk one is better loaded you said but that implies a RHD to LHD conversion, i dont want that. I want a straight car with minimal work done on it. if at all i'm going to do extra work it has to be facelifts and minimal mech work.

I work in a town where i have to drive like say 25mins to work in the morning and 25 back in the evenings, not much traffic, roads are pretty much ok. Every other wknd i go to Lagos to see folks and hang out (Night waka mostly).
I need a small machine tht wont anounce me but when it comes to pushing for speed with the rest of my boys that have the 07 Camrys and 08 Hondas, i wont be the whipping dog.

The mods you mentioned how much will that set me back so i can add to my overall and really give this another thought.

Thanks for the prompt reply
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Jun 18, 2009
In that case, I'd go for a LHD German-spec car, it's not difficult to add UK extras and more after purchase.

I'm a power junkie, so wouldn't touch the 1,6 (100hp) 2,0 (115hp) or V5 (150 / 170hp).

My choices would be the 1,8T (150 / 180hp) which can be mapped easily to 230hp, or the V6, which is 204hp for starters.
The 1,8T has more potential for more power increases, and may probably suit your needs better, and of course also comes as an auto as an option.

In terms of modifications, I only mentioned that from what you previously said in your original post. So, all depends on what mods you're referring to.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by mufasa(m): 11:00pm On Jun 18, 2009
i'm wiki-ing the 1.8T @ the moment.

Abeg do you have any links as to getting the german LHD. Autoscout's pricing are kinda ridiculous. My budget is about 4000 Euros which doesnt include shipping.

Is it too small to budget for the car?
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2009
Ebay's a good port of call.

www.ebay.de

Look at the adverts with buy-it-now, and compare prices.

4,000 Euros is reasonable, bearing in mind the VW Golf IV was introduced in August 1998, and has since been replaced twice - VW Golf V and VI are out there. This means prices of the Golf IV are dropping on all but the latest (2004) registered cars.

A '98 - '00 VW Golf IV 1,8T can be found for as low as 3,500 Euros, so your budget is fine.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by mufasa(m): 2:25am On Jun 21, 2009
God bless you sir. I'll go thru the ebay link. What is the maximum mileage i should be considering.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by Nobody: 3:05am On Jun 21, 2009
There are 1,8T,s out there with over 200,000 miles on the odometer.
These cars are considered run in once the mileage has passed the 100,000 mile mark, so lots of leeway.

You should be looking at between 68,000 - 120,000.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by mufasa(m): 3:35am On Jun 21, 2009
That site na german all the way. Fine i know the buy it now sit but can't phantom the details of the cars i'm interested in.

Do you have any idea of the german of these words . Aircon, Auto transmission, Central lock, Power windows.

Thanks again
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 21, 2009
Mufasa, aircon will be "Klima", auto transmission will be "automatische Übertragung", central locking will be "zentralverriegelung" while power windows will be "elektrische fensterheber".

It's worth noting though, you may not see "zentralverriegelung" in the text of German adverts, but rest assured, it's there - you can't buy any Golf IV without it, it's been standard on VAG cars since around 1993.
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by sonety2k(m): 10:07am On Jun 21, 2009
cool
Re: Siena: Golf IV VR6 Automatic Transmission??? by fizzybaba(m): 5:57pm On May 18, 2012
@ mufasa: what has been your experience so far? would you a golf 4 to anyone here in Nigeria?

@Sienna: in your assesment, would you say the Golf 4 has been a success giving the myriads of reported challenges topmost being electrical issues. i ask because i might be buying one pretty soon.

(1) (Reply)

Infinity Fx35 Error Code -B1134 / Where To Get Original HONDA EOD Brainbox To Buy In Lagos / Is C300 2008 Reliable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.