Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,586 members, 7,809,122 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? (16479 Views)

How To Prepare Banga (ofe Akwu) Soup / Ofe Akwu Vs Tomato Stew / Delicious Or Detestable? See How Frogs Are Prepared In Benue (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by rusky(m): 7:52pm On Jun 18, 2009
Please ladies, I would like my wife to prepare ofe akwu for me to eat with rice. Any ideas on how she can go about it? do you know the procedure? please tell me in detail so i can communicate to her. Thanks and God bless.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by sosisi(f): 7:55pm On Jun 18, 2009
You should have married an Anambra state chic and you wouldn't be in this predicament.
You see why I saw you folks should keep away from oyibo women
when hunger wire una,una go sabi say mashed potatoes and gravy no be food grin

5 Likes

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by amyliajane(f): 12:34pm On Jun 24, 2009
@topic,
fortunately i just prepared it this past weekend and i happen to be from Delta state
Ok.

The Ingredients u need are,

1. Palm kernel nuts (the one used in making banga soup, we call it banga)
2. Fresh Pepper
3. very little quantity of tomatoes(the tomatoes should be very small other wise it would come out too swt)
4. tatashe
5. Onions
6. Scent leave (popularly called efirin)
7. A little crayfish
8. Ur meat, u can use any type, beaf, goatmeat, dry fish, liver, kpomo, dry shrimps and whatever in meat for.
9. maggi.
10. salt to taste.

Preparation.

wash ur meat in a pot and and simmer (whatever u r using) adding sliced onions, maggi, salt. Allow it to boil till a little tender.
wash ur banga thoroughly to remove sand and place in a pot. add water and boil.
grind ur tomatoes, f/pepper, onions, tatashe and set aside.
De bone ur fish and grind ur crayfish, set aside.

When the banga is soft enough from boiling, remove it from the pot and pound in a mortar. strain the liquid in a pot. U have to be very careful here cause of the shaft and those little black things from the head of the palm kernel. After starining the liquid in a pot keep it aside.

Next make a stew with the blended tomatoes and f/pepper, make sure u use very little quantity of g/oil, i mean very little. After the stew is cooked u can begin the preparation of the banga that was set aside.
Place the Banga liquid on fire and allow to boil, slice onions in it, add ur crayfish, allow to boil very well till when its almost getting thick, add ur washed fish, kpomo and others, wit meat. allow to boil a little say 5mins,then add the cooked stew in it, taste for maggi, salt. if o.k, last thing u add is ur scent leaves, let the leave be much to bring out the flavour, and the leaves should be chopped, not diced.allow to boil say for 2mins then set down.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by missagbaa(f): 3:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
topic,
fortunately i just prepared it this past weekend and i happen to be from Delta state
Ok.

2. Fresh Pepper
3. very little quantity of tomatoes(the tomatoes should be very small other wise it would come out too swt)
4. tatashe
5. Onions
7. A little crayfish
8. Ur meat, u can use any type, beaf, goatmeat, dry fish, liver, kpomo, dry shrimps and whatever in meat for.
9. maggi.
10. salt to taste.

Preparation.

wash ur meat in a pot and and simmer (whatever u r using) adding sliced onions, maggi, salt. Allow it to boil till a little tender.

When the banga is soft enough from boiling, remove it from the pot and pound in a mortar. strain the liquid in a pot. U have to be very careful here cause of the shaft and those little black things from the head of the palm kernel. After starining the liquid in a pot keep it aside.

Next make a stew with the blended tomatoes and f/pepper, make sure u use very little quantity of g/oil, i mean very little. After the stew is cooked u can begin the preparation of the banga that was set aside.
Place the Banga liquid on fire and allow to boil, slice onions in it, add ur crayfish, allow to boil very well till when its almost getting thick, add ur washed fish, kpomo and others, wit meat. allow to boil a little say 5mins,then add the cooked stew in it, taste for maggi, salt. if o.k, last thing u add is ur scent leaves, let the leave be much to bring out the flavour, and the leaves should be chopped, not diced.allow to boil say for 2mins then set down.

u really have an idea on how to do it but u dont use tomatoes for the ofe akwu otherwise u call it ofe akwu- tomatoes.do it with just palm fruits and u have the real taste.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by rusky(m): 7:09pm On Jun 24, 2009
God bless you. I am very grateful. Thank you very much. Now lets hope i can convince my wife to cook it.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by Leilah(f): 10:11pm On Jun 26, 2009
Excuse me, I am white and I can cook all of these igbo soups. I actually think there are very very easy to make.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by sosisi(f): 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2009
I'm black and I can't cook all of them
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by fustina: 11:56pm On Jun 09, 2011
ANAMBRA CHIC hereeeeeeeeee!Tomato in ofe akwu, my grandma will go crazy if she hears this one, she doesn't even believe in maggi, she thinks crayfish and dawadawa should be it!
Ingredients
Akwu or Banga or Ghana Best
Dawadawa(its like iru but it is not)
Crayfish
Assorted meat and fishes of your choices
Scent Leaf or Nchanwu(sorry abt the spelling)
Ugu or Pumpkin Leaf or Spinach
Spices like maggi, salt to taste, pepper
NB:Dont put too much onions because it tends to make the soup taste like u added sugar in it

Okay start with cooking and mashing the palm kernel thingee(i.e the akwu or banga) when u finish take the water and spread the akwu under the sun( u can use this to drink garri later, heheeee).Okay pour the water of the akwu in the pot then put it on fire and leave it until it thickens up,then add your meat or if u are using those assorted meat that take long to cook then put them in the akwu water then wait till the soup thickens up. here u can add onions and maggi. after the soup thickens a bit then add your grounded crayfish and dawadawa, after 10-20mins, add scent leaf then wait for 5mins then add ugu, then your other seasoning or spices to taste.

but if u are using Ghana Best or something similar
cook your assorted meat and when its a almost tender add grounded crayfish and dawadawa and add the ghana best , then wait and check if the soup is thick if it is, add your scent leaf then wait for 5mins add ugu and then add your seasoning or spices

the odd or weird thing about this soup is that after u refrigerate or save it for another time, to make it taste fresh, add onions and fresh ugu or spinach, i know i said little or no onions the first time, here u add any amount u want

sorry if u dont understand, this is my first time of writing how to cook anything

1 Like

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by Yvete(f): 6:54am On May 14, 2013
Quick question!

How do I make ofe akwu/banga with this concentrated kernel in a jar? Lately, my appetite has been flying through the roof so my cravings are wild. (Can I do without ogiri, dawadawa & okpe? Because my sense of smell is crazy too).

I also need recipes for Ji mmiri oku (yam pepper soup). Thanks.

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by Mamacita007(f): 5:40am On May 15, 2013
Yvete: Quick question!

How do I make ofe akwu/banga with this concentrated kernel in a jar? Lately, my appetite has been flying through the roof so my cravings are wild. (Can I do without ogiri, dawadawa & okpe? Because my sense of smell is crazy too).

These foods re for women dat re P. llooooooll call mumcee she can help.

1 Like

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by olumyde5(m): 2:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
missagbaa:
topic,
Ok.

2. Fresh Pepper
4. tatashe
5. Onions
7. A little crayfish
9. maggi.
10. salt to taste.

Preparation.

u really have an idea on how to do it but u dont use tomatoes for the ofe akwu otherwise u call it ofe akwu- tomatoes.do it with just palm fruits and u have the real taste.

Thanks
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by CecyAdrian(f): 4:55pm On Jul 29, 2015
missagbaa:
topic,
Ok.

2. Fresh Pepper
4. tatashe
5. Onions
7. A little crayfish
9. maggi.
10. salt to taste.

Preparation.

Hian!!
Tomatoes kwa!
In Ofe Akwu
Even ground nut oil?.

Sister, no offense but your recipe is a foreign one
Biko we Igbos do not include any of those things i listed above.

4 Likes

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by pretydiva(f): 7:21pm On Jul 30, 2015
I fink I will try dis
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by Neplusultra(f): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
CecyAdrian:

Hian!!
Tomatoes kwa!
In Ofe Akwu
Even ground nut oil?.

Sister, no offense but your recipe is a foreign one
Biko we Igbos do not include any of those things i listed above.
Dats ehn!!! you can say dat again!! The tin vex me as i see am! people will just be saying wot they don't know!instead of her to say dats her personal way of preparing it!
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by CecyAdrian(f): 10:14pm On Jul 30, 2015
Neplusultra:
Dats ehn!!! you can say dat again!! The tin vex me as i see am! people will just be saying wot they don't know!instead of her to say dats her personal way of preparing it!

My sister, the thing just tire me!, I just could not stand by and watch her abi read on while our beloved Ofe Akwu is abused dat way.
Biko,like you said that's her personal way of preparing it and not d way we Igbo's do.

3 Likes

Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by GHoJes: 11:24pm On Jul 30, 2015
Some igbo people also add little fresh tomatoes. Its a personal thing not tribal.
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by udysweet(f): 7:51am On Jul 31, 2015
I'll give it a trial sometime soon ,looks nice tho I hardly eat it. Will make small
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by Neplusultra(f): 8:22am On Jul 31, 2015
CecyAdrian:

My sister, the thing just tire me!, I just could not stand by and watch her abi read on while our beloved Ofe Akwu is abused dat way.
Biko,like you said that's her personal way of preparing it and not d way we Igbo's do.
You did well setting the records straight!
Re: Please How Can 'ofe Akwu' Be Prepared? What Are The Ingredients? by soonest(f): 10:48am On Jul 31, 2015
Yvete:
Quick question!

For Ji mmiri oku, u will need okporoko, dry fish, meat if u wish, crayfish, pepper, pepper soup spice, uda n hiohio(dont know the english names), maggi,salt, utazi and nchanwu and of course yam
Wash your okporoko and steam then add meat and with onion,pepper n salt to taste. Later add your dry fish.
Add ur peeled yam( i use old yam dat takes time to cook so that it can absorb the flavour and i also cut them fat)
Add ur uda(if u r preg don't use) and hiohio (urhobo women sell it, it's a long spice, don't know what they call it)
Add your pepper soup spice and crayfish
When your yam is done add ur shredded nchanwu and utazi and your Ji mmiri oku is done
Note: easy with the pepper as you don't use oil in the preparation. Also it's little utazi that is used because it's a bitter vegetable

(1) (Reply)

Expired Foods Can Still Be Eaten / He Is Addicted To Coke!!!! / Grand Oak Launches Korect Bitters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.