Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Religious Houses and Noise. (Rant of a Light Sleeper) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Religious Houses and Noise. (Rant of a Light Sleeper) (631 Views)

Creek A Light Horror / Rant: Nairaland Writers Are Lazy? / The Dilemma Of A Light Skinned Lady. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Religious Houses and Noise. (Rant of a Light Sleeper) by PrinceAlex001(m): 4:23pm On Jan 12, 2016
But seriously, whoever brought up the idea of mounting loudspeakers during overnight programs (regardless the type) should be denied sleep all through eternity.
I must say I have the most screwed up sleeping pattern ever as I have been battling insomnia for thirteen long years. And it’s gotten even a lot more out of hand because for a while now as I’ve been entitled to sound sleep just within the hours of 1 and 5pm daily. No thanks to the church, mosque and clubhouse located God knows where around my neighbourhood. Actually, I think it’s more than one church.
After a very long day of cooking or doing absolutely nothing, I try as much as possible to retire to bed around 11pm daily. More often than not, I realize its way past my bedtime when the church bells begin to ring and just when I’m trying to block out the screeching sounds from the church, I hear a deafening “She making me bark like a bingo!” from the club!
Truth be told, I think I secretly wished for the current fuel scarcity. As we all know PHCN is a lost cause, at least another one of my nights won’t be ruined if there’s no fuel to run their noise making power generating systems. But no! Phillipians 4:19 comes to play and just while I begin to doze off around 5am, “Allah Akbar” flings me back to my sleepless misery!
Sincerely, I AM TIRED. What if I had a white collar job that actually defines my hours of sleep? Or a demanding toddler to take care of all day? What’s the plight of hypertensive patients in my neighbourhood? Or people with other ailments that require them to have sound night rests? Would they all have to depend on diazepam till their body systems became immune to it? Whatsoever happened to saying the Lord’s Prayer just the way Jesus taught? How many more nights do I have to stare at the ceiling keeping track of how many times power was cut and restored over the night? Why is it only in Nigeria we find religious auditoriums, social centres and even industries in RESIDENTIAL AREAS? How many people actually join any of these categories of vigils before dawn due to the vexatious blarings from their speakers? Whatsoever happened to loving your neighbour as yourself?
Yet again, the Theory of Conflicts of Right comes to mind. I have the right to sleep in a serene environment. The Christians have the right to commune with God at anytime of the day, so do the Muslims. The party animals too have the right to “bark like a bingo” till mama calls. But whatsoever happened to being CONSIDERATE? For crying out loud these programs do not need loudspeakers for validation. Or would the prayers and music quality be less effectual if speakers are not involved? What happened to constructing sound proof auditoriums?
Like I’ve said before, I would not like to be tagged as the demonized daughter of a Church Elder so rather than rant; I’d have to swallow this unpalatable pill again. Make no mistake; my silence at the moment definitely doesn’t imply I wouldn’t take drastic actions against noise pollution if I ever pay the corridors of power a visit.

https://madamenwoko./2015/12/29/rants-of-a-light-sleeper-the-unanticipated-sequel-to-theory-of-a-light-sleeper/

(1) (Reply)

The Velvet Tamarind 1 (a Short Story) / Shooting Star By Chukwumerije Somadina / Stuck In The Mud.....short Story By Adole Emmanuel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.