Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,197 members, 7,780,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:47 PM

Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times (39589 Views)

Precious Sonia Chikwendu: EFCC's Statement On The Detention Of Fani-kayode Wife / Judge Threatens National Hospital Over Olisa Metuh - Vanguard / $2.1 Billion Arms Scandal: Angry Olisa Metuh Tears Statement He Made To EFCC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by jonnieoneng: 6:26am On Jan 13, 2016
[quote author=thunder74 post=41914278]I can imagine EFCC telling Metuh "Confess, I said Confess that you collected N400M". It is not the case of the accused to prove that he has committed an offence, it is the duty of the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the accused actually committed the offence. Though confessional statement, coukd assist the prosecution but not sacrosanct, courts have severally discarded confessional statement if it is not truly confessional.
It is shameful at this stage for the Efcc to be asking Metuh to disclose how much he collected or relying heavily on his statement. Does it means that he was just arrested to help them get/establish the offence to charge him for? What happened to other facts they have before arresting him?

For me, looking at the way the money was distributed for election purposes, I am beginning to think that no arms money was missing. Where is all the fund PDP raised during presidential dinner fund raise. I guess this government just want to giv
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by BeClever: 6:35am On Jan 13, 2016
Super1Star:
1000 Samuels of his cannot run away from God of Justice.

You ate our yam and now you are eating paper that was bought with tax payers money.

Double wahala.

Which tax payers.. ..Oyel money.

Who pays tax in this country except civil servants.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by BeClever: 6:42am On Jan 13, 2016
DerideGull:
Nigerians and their animalistic intellect or lack thereof. In this day and age, a man cannot make a confession and he is presented with the written confession only for him to tear the paper. Does it mean that EFCC cannot afford electronic tape recorder? A voice-recorded confession is more damning than a useless written confession on a silly piece of paper. APC, Buhari and EFCC are bunch of useless dimwits. These goons can only bamboozle gullible Nigerians.

And they have been very successful in the "bamboozle" arrangement and now people like me are even afraid of getting close to anything in uniform, even school children.. .you could be arrested or even killed and nothing would happen.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Nobody: 7:02am On Jan 13, 2016
drss:
i dont need a sooth sayer to know dat buari dullard is using efcc to blackmail olisa metuh. why is efcc yet to take him to court why is he yet to be released clearly efcc ar trying to get their evidence by forcing olisa metuh into confession. they never had any serious evidence dat will enable dem sue metuh to court. is dis how world class investigations ar done dis kind of wickedness, abuse n impunity only happens in a zoo.

Cry me a river !!
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by jonnieoneng: 7:05am On Jan 13, 2016
The author of the post above, is a case study of a Man who say a lot, without actually saying anything that makes any sense.How can any sane mind, dispute the existence of the arms saga in the light of present and previous realities?Its like u are spitting on the graves of those who died as a consequence of the wickedness of this men.U need to understand that Olisah Metuh's name was mentioned in Dasuki's confession.He only needed to confirm that he took d money.Nwobodo,was also involved but check out his explanation.Who will disturb him with detention in EFCC custody in light of his exposition.At worst,dey will ask him to pay back some of d money.But Metuh is not an enlightened Person and it shows in his speech,action and disposition.He doesn't deserve any mercy.Since he decides to play "hombre"with EFCC let's see how long he will last.The Judiciary needs to be told that they must not play Esau in the fight against corruption.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Super1Star: 7:17am On Jan 13, 2016
BeClever:

Which tax payers.. ..Oyel money.

Who pays tax in this country except civil servants.

See this one.

You ar just just ignoramus. ignoramus. A at today, my region produces is the 2nd highest oil producing. So carry you oyel noise forward jare.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Nobody: 7:40am On Jan 13, 2016
dis guy should b lucky dat buhari didnt bcome President as a military.....he would have Smoke him up.Olisa metuh d THIEF
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by BeClever: 7:42am On Jan 13, 2016
Super1Star:

See this one.

You ar just just ignoramus. ignoramus. A at today, my region produces is the 2nd highest oil producing. So carry you oyel noise forward jare.

But I can't remember saying anything about where the oil was coming from.. .All my life i have never even seen crude oil myself.

Just talking generally on how the country is being managed.

Congratulation on the achievements of your region hope they remember you.. cool
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by askari01: 8:02am On Jan 13, 2016
[quote author=iliyande post=41911832]The embattled spokesperson of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission on Tuesday tore a statement he voluntarily made to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission regarding his alleged involvement in the $2.1billion arms fraud being investigated by the anti-graft agency.

Those familiar with the matter told PREMIUM TIMES Mr. Metuh tore the statement after it was presented to him by the investigating officer for endorsement, as part of preparations for his prosecution.

“Rather than sign the document, Metuh on realising the weight of his confession, seized the documents and proceeded to tear them,” one of our sources said.
He added that the PDP spokesperson later tried to stuff the papers into his mouth in a bid to swallow them when he was stopped by operatives who managed to recovered the torn pieces of papers from him.

Another source in the EFCC said the attempt by Mr. Metuh to destroy a major evidence in the case against him was an offence which could attract a separate charge in court.

“The tearing of statement is tantamount to willful destruction of government property and it is a serious offence,” the official said.
“Also the fact that he obstructed operatives from performing their job is also a criminal offence. We will explore the possibility of filling a separate charge against him at the Federal Capital Territory High Court.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/196667-breaking-2-1-billion-arms-scandal-angry-olisa-metuh-tears-statement-he-made-to-efcc.html[/quote

Olisa me-chew, you chop billions, You chop paper I fear u

Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Jabioro: 8:06am On Jan 13, 2016
evansvenus:
And what is the implication of this act?
That paper he tore is a government property, therefore he would charge for destroying it.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by lastpage: 8:56am On Jan 13, 2016
olajide8:

What actually is a human right? - and where do these rights start and stop? What maybe a right to someone, may actually be an infringement, on someone else's right- do you think those in the national assembly would change those sections of the constitution? Do you know most of them are Ex governors and they would be tried retro-actively (retro vies)for some of these issues, so it's beneficial for those lacunas to be in the constitution, because they need their partial freedom* we have only started one part of this corruption fight - we still have 3 major area's to face' oil and gas, civil service and then private sector (banking)

I really weep for the citizens of this country.... especially the younger generation!
I am not sure whether it is due to our bastradized educational system of the last two decades, or whether it is the decadence in the moral upbringing of the latter generation or whether we have "evolved" to that stage where bush animals even have better reasoning capacity and dignity than the average Nigerian.... ?

I mean, what makes a Nigerian (even if he or she wants the destruction of the entity called Nigeria, for personal and selfish reasons) ... to overlook the "real substance" of weighty issues and be genuflecting on secondary issues?

[b]Why would Nigerians ignore the ra.pe and murder of the innocent.... whicle becoming champions of 'human Rights" of the accused/criminal?
Why would Nigerians ignore the obvious criminality that makes over a Billion Naira, to "migrate" into the bank account of a Politician, without any obvious reason d'etre, (wherein the Politician had made previous allusion and confirmation that such money was actually transferred to his account) ........ yet some Nigerians are only concernnd about the "Freedom" of such person?

*Are we been told that the Soldiers who died in battle, trying to protect our own liberty and freedom simply because people like Olisah Metuh decided to loot the money meant to buy "proper weapons"for them... do not deserve any HUMAN RIGHT or Right to Life?

*Are we saying the "Rights to Life and Freedom" of people like Metuh, is over and above the rights of such soldiers and the children of such dead soldiers, to have their parent "alive and taking care of them"?

*Are we even aware that everyone who partook in the sharing of that "Arms purchase Loot" is already guilty of the most grievous crime anyone can have against his fatherland? TREASON!

*Do we remember that these soldiers we send into battle, are mere humanbeing like me and you except for the training and "promise to properly equip them in battle", that we Nigerians made to them, so they can in-turn face the bullets of Boko Haram "me and you" are not willing to face?

*Do we even remember that some of these soldiers, in the face of imminent death from Boko haram, cried out and protested that they dont have the "weaponry" needed to fight Boko haram..... and yet, these same "ring of criminals" sentenced the soldiers to death, for speaking out! Where is the Human rights and freedom of Speech" of these soldiers, back then?

The fact remains that "under certain circumstances", the CERTAIN FUNDAMENTAL LIBERTIES AND RIGHTS of individuals are SUSPENDED.
For example, when countries declare a state of emergency, fundamental liberties of citizens are 'rightly' suspended, to allow security forces to deal with the emergency situation at hand.

This happens everywhere, recently in France after the attacks, in America after 9/11, in Britain after the 7/7 attack, e.t.c.
The citizens of these countries rally round the Govt of the day (irrespective of political affiliations) because they understand that "the Country comes first and above everyone".
That is PATRIOTISM, ....as against the TREACHERY and TREASONOUS behaviour of some Nigerians, based on tribal and political considerations.
[/b]
When we blame our Govt for not taking care of us, we should also ask ourselves whether we are giving the necessary "patriotic support" to our Govt. because its a two-way thing.

People get the kind of Govt they deserve!
"Ask not what your country can do for you.... but ask what YOU can do for your country".

"Human rights and Freedom of Citizens" is predicated on the fact that they remain "law-abiding".
Except you are a licensed "Arms Dealer", that "arms purchase loot" has NO REASON to be found in your bank account, without you declaring it publicly!

As it is today, the "Human rights and fundamental freedom of ANYONE involved in that "ARMS PURCHASE LOOT" remains suspended!
Nigeria is at WAR not just with Boko haram, but with these scumbags who "killed" our gallant soldiers.
Nigeria has declared a "state of emergency" on Looters and Corruption in general.

We will support this President and his Govt, to all lengths, to tackle this menace and the TRAITORS involved.

No one, not even the President, is above the law.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by olajide8(m): 8:57am On Jan 13, 2016
DikeOha882:
do you think those in the national assembly would change those sections of the constitution? Do you know most of them Ex governors and they would be tried. Your statement apc has the majority in national assembly, theyclaim to be change agent,let them change it. EFCC is now the law court that try and jail corrupt people? Nigerians and their local mentality, so buhari is bigger that nigeria institution? What stops him from strengthening? So if buhari abandons the institution and operates like a dictator without improving the system and his tenure ends,don't you think that we have not made any progress cos the next set of people will still loot. Reason why you envy uk, usa etc is because their law is working and no man operates above the law like your god buhari is doing.

Hahahaha- we need to start to use our brains more that's why Donald trump insulted africans;

Firstly, I don't envy the UK or US- I envy the way their citizens think' which in all honesty majority of nigerians lack!!! An average American or Briton would take offence to a fellow citizen being murder on its soil, due to incompetence (GEJ) and mis-administration and corrupt enrichment at the expense of 2m displaced and other dead nigerian citizens, especially soldiers and officers of the N.Army (a case study st bernardo of recent- see the way Americans responded and see what they are still saying?), under the pretext that their is rule of law!!! See what people are saying and see how the america president is reacting, in as much as there is the 3rd amendment which gives the right of Americans to own guns' - now to nigeria, in a case where it's believed the law would not sufficiently try and sentence the offended and the said people would escape with the loot,(a case study is the pension fraud, someone stole billions and was told to be let off after paying N750k, does it make sense at all?) except it's collected from them what would you have done- if you were president? Allow all this madness to continue?
To the issue of majority, I know you were in nigeria, when the then minority PDP senators backed saraki' do you think it was only because they wanted a SAY?
Majority of the PDP representatives had their hands in the teal of government, and if this Pandora box is opened, the way it is being opened now, they would indirectly be affected- so what do they do? Back another candidate at the expense of the APC party candidate! Now, we all know directly or indirectly if you look very well into people's activities you would find a fault, and the current S.P is not clean.
imagine a law, allowed to be passed by Saraki- that all corruption cases in any form should not be allowed bail and the constitution amended, to reflex this- the CCT case against him would be retro vies(ly) activated and automatically he would loose the senate presidency, so also the likes of akpabio, adamu aliero, Stella odua just to mention a few- so think nigeria and what is right - the 4 pillars that hold a nation are right laws, fair justice, equity to all, people centric(ness), now the last 2, have been plumeted and mashed to nonsense because the wrong people hold law and justice.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Princewell2012(m): 10:19am On Jan 13, 2016
DerideGull:
Nigerians and their animalistic intellect or lack thereof. In this day and age, a man cannot make a confession and he is presented with the written confession only for him to tear the paper. Does it mean that EFCC cannot afford electronic tape recorder? A voice-recorded confession is more damning than a useless written confession on a silly piece of paper. APC, Buhari and EFCC are bunch of useless dimwits. These goons can only bamboozle gullible Nigerians.
God bless you so much for this write up.
Something must be wrong somewhere, is either they have collected money to change the statement.

In this part of the world everything is possible.

Even an ordinary gate man can not do such a mistake
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by adadadon(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2016
Montaque:

anyway. I pexpected you as you have asserted a position, to prove it.
Computer generates evidence in the evidence Act comes readily to mind.

I know there isn't any law that forbids using a tape recorder during police interrogation since it can be admitted in evidence.
You can use tape recorders during police investigation, yes you can but it will not be admissible as a statement simply because the evidence act does not make provision noeither does the Acja 2015 dmake provision for the use of tape recorders during investigations and interrogation of suspects. However novel this may be, Nigeria's extant laws do not make sure electronic devices and its output are admissible as statements made by suspects.....
The only state that allows tape recorders or video during interrogations is lagos state and it has been branded by superior courts as not applicable in federal matters or exclusive list matters being adjudicated upon by superior courts.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by adadadon(m): 1:47pm On Jan 13, 2016
Montaque:

anyway. I expected you as you have asserted a position, to prove it.
Computer generates evidence in the evidence Act comes readily to mind.
I know there isn't any law tha[i]t forbids using a tape recorder during police interrogation since it can be admitted in eviden[/i]ce.
m
The problem is a piece of evidence may be relevant yet such purported evidence is not admissible by virtue of the evidence act.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Montaque(m): 2:09pm On Jan 13, 2016
adadadon:

You can use tape recorders during police investigation, yes you can but it will not be admissible as a statement simply because the evidence act does not make provision noeither does the Acja 2015 dmake provision for the use of tape recorders during investigations and interrogation of suspects. However novel this may be, Nigeria's extant laws do not make sure electronic devices and its output are admissible as statements made by suspects.....
The only state that allows tape recorders or video during interrogations is lagos state and it has been branded by superior courts as not applicable in federal matters or exclusive list matters being adjudicated upon by superior courts.

Since you do not have issues with its relevancy, I think the evidence Act on computer generated evidence is broad to cover this one.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by HonNze: 5:52pm On Jan 13, 2016
Honestly, I pity for nigerians that will believe this fabricated story from EFCC. How can u expect Metu to sign statements written by EFCC, if they have evidence against him let them proceed to the court. This is a pure blackmail
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by adadadon(m): 8:31pm On Jan 14, 2016
Montaque:

Since you do not have issues with its relevancy, I think the evidence Act on computer generated evidence is broad to cover this one.
I hope you know CGE is regarded as secondary evidence
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by Montaque(m): 9:33pm On Jan 18, 2016
adadadon:

I hope you know CGE is regarded as secondary evidence

issue of it being primary or secondary is still debated, especially where it's the computer that processed the information wholly without human input. but that is not the problem bcus it is admissible either way.
Computer in its definition includes any device that can store and process information. It is broad enough to cover tape recorder.
I hope it will be tested soon in court.
Re: Olisa Metuh Tears EFCC Statement He Made - Premium Times by adadadon(m): 9:00am On Jan 19, 2016
Montaque:

issue of it being primary or secondary is still debated, especially where it's the computer that processed the information wholly without human input. but that is not the problem bcus it is admissible either way.
Computer in its definition includes any device that can store and process information. It is broad enough to cover tape recorder.
I hope it will be tested soon in court.
It seems you don't get it a written statement currently holds more strength than a tape recorder........

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu, Wike’s Camps Meet To Finalise Deal On 2023 / Saraki Foils Move To Nullify Ekweremadu's Election As Deputy Senate President.. / Government Buildings In Africa Are A Likely Vector For Chinese Spying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.