Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:30 AM

The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! (915 Views)

Kids Cartoon In Yoruba, Igbo And Hausa Languages(Video) / The Caribbean Islands Where Indigenes Speak Igbo And Yoruba / The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by Cyojunior(m): 3:49pm On Jan 13, 2016
POINT OF INFORMATION: THE IGBO AND LAGOS' DEVELOPMENT "By 1872 Lagos was a cosmopolitan trading center with a population of over 60,000 people.Colonial Lagos developed into a busy, cosmopolitan port, with an architecture that blended Victorian and Brazilian styles.The Brazilian element was imparted by skilled builders and masons who had returned from Brazil Th.e black elite was composed of English-speaking "Saros" from Sierra Leone and other emancipated slaves who had been repatriated from Brazil and Cuba.By 1872 the population of the colony was over 60,000, of whom less than 100 were of European origin. In 1876 imports were valued at £476,813 and exports at £619,260. Telephone links with Britain were established by 1886, and electric street lighting in 1898.In August 1896, Charles Joseph George and G.W. Neville,both merchants and both unofficial members of the Legislative Council, presented a petition urging construction of the railway terminus on Lagos Island rather than at Ido, and also asking for the railway to be extended to Abeokuta. Lagos history is rich in Yoruba tradition,trade and commerce,infrastructural development and cosmopolitanism." -EXTRACTED With the little facts above, I would like to educate some illiterates making stupid assumption from blind sentiments that they developed Lagos. Lagosians had telephone presence in 1886, Itu and Calabar got connected to Telephone in 1923, while between 1946 and 1952, a three-channel line carrier system was commissioned between Lagos and Ibadan and was later extended to Oshogbo, Kaduna, Kano, Benin, and Enugu. Communication technology is a major signifier of civilizations and if Lagosians were already making telephone calls more than 70 years before your daddies, where then did you get the warped idea that you came to develop Lagos? By 1856 Cable and Wireless Company of the UK had commissioned a submarine cable link between Lagos and London and In 1851 a post office was established in Lagos; all these before of the emergence of Nigeria as an amalgamated country. If I may ask again, where did the stupid idea that Igbo developed Lagos came from? Or that Lagos was developed with Nigeria's money when Lagos was not even part of Nigeria until 1914. I always feel embarrassed anytime I read and hear even so-called educated people from the East making these stupid assertions. The first Yoruba lawyer Christopher Alexander Sapara Williams was called to the English Bar in 1879 whilst the first Igbo lawyer, Sir Louis Mbanefo, was called to the English bar in 1937. Again the first Yoruba medical practitioner, Dr. Nathaniel King, graduated in 1875 from the University of Edinburgh whilst the first Igbo medical practitioner, Dr. Akannu Ibiam, graduated from another Scottish University in 1935. Again I ask, where did the ignorant hypothesis of the backward Yoruba race who needed development by the superior Igbo race come from? For the sake of our generation and posterity we need to teach factual history and not just cook up some cock and bull ego-centric concoctions as facts. The attitude of recycling long tales steeped in empty arrogance should be discarded before you miseducate your kids with fictions. Awolowo will continue to be the Yoruba hero not because of blind followership but because he gave his people the system of free education, free healthcare and he introduced Television to the Yoruba; making Yorubaland the first region to have a TV station in Africa all done with revenues from Cocoa. It is crass ignorance and naked buffonery to claim Lagos was built with Nigeria's money. In addition, where did the foolish idea that the Igbo brought civilization to Lagos and Yoruba-land come from? The aim of this post is not to deride any tribe but to correct the dangerous misinformation trending among some Igbo youths and common in their narratives that Lagos is a no-man's land and that their fathers built and develop Lagos. Your forebears came to Yoruba-land like every other settlers and we appreciate their contributions but the stupid claim that Igbo built and develop Lagos is a gross display of stupidity because Lagos was already developed before your forebears came here from their villages and towns. The first storey building in Nigeria was built in Marina, Badagry in 1845, long before some of hinterland people gave up the idea of conical mud houses with thatched roofs which some boastfully called 'ancient mansions.' How can you now claim your grand-sires developed Lagos? Please if you are one of those spreading the fiction, I expect you to desist from self-delusion and collective amnesia forthwith. The first Igbo alphabet-character set and Igbo primer (Isoama-Ibo) was published by Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther (a yoruba man from Osogun) in 1857. How can you now claim superiority over the Yoruba race and even carelessly affirm that your forebears should be thanked for bringing enlightenment to Yoruba Land? While I do not see all these achievements as a sign of Yoruba superiority over the Igbo or any other tribe for I do not believe in racial superiority; I will not also tolerate any attempt by bigots who stoke ethnic hatred through incitement and arrogant claims of superiority over others.

1 Like

Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by achinaboy(m): 4:42pm On Jan 13, 2016
well as an igbo man who lived in lagos,you have the real history as recorded in the book,but the issue is,without the igbos,lagos will have a different look commercially wise,ofwhich it go na take ages for us to understand the point we are trying to make, which sounds like,take a goat to tie a rope or take a rope to tie a goat,i hope u understand
Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by Cyojunior(m): 4:49pm On Jan 13, 2016
achinaboy:
well as an igbo man who lived in lagos,you have the real history as recorded in the book,but the issue is,without the igbos,lagos will have a different look commercially wise,ofwhich it go na take ages for us to understand the point we are trying to make, which sounds like,take a goat to tie a rope or take a rope to tie a goat,i hope u understand

U can say dat again bt wit genie point to bck up ur point
Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by hibee4uall(m): 1:59am On Jan 15, 2016
Well articulated and butressed with facts and figures but I doubt if they can reason to that level of getting sense therefrom
Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by Weedcrusher: 6:34am On Jan 15, 2016
achinaboy:

Are you Igbos on nairaland really this dumb
Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by achinaboy(m): 2:10pm On Jan 15, 2016
Weedcrusher:

Are you Igbos on nairaland really this dumb
well,you said so yourself. i biliv you are myopic by not seeing what is going on around, or are u just hiding in one of those villages with mud houses,please go to facebook and see if you could find one of your village guys who hapens to have visited lagos,then ask him some questions, good luk
Re: The Igbo And Lagos'development !!! by Weedcrusher: 3:28pm On Jan 15, 2016
achinaboy:

well,you said so yourself. i biliv you are myopic by not seeing what is going on around, or are u just hiding in one of those villages with mud houses,please go to facebook and see if you could find one of your village guys who hapens to have visited lagos,then ask him some questions, good luk

I was born in Lagos. I lived most of my life in Lagos before leaving Nigeria 7 years. If by living in Canada means living in village to you, then good luck to you.

(1) (Reply)

Couple Weds Just Seconds After Meeting In Person / LYRICS: Patoranking – Another Level / Why Do We Fall Ill After Eating Food From Another Tribe/country Etc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.