Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,274 members, 7,780,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:39 PM

Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series (3518 Views)

The 130 Titles Of The Pacesetters Series / Who Remembers The Pacesetters Novel / Do You Remember the Pacesetters Books? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 8:46pm On Jun 20, 2009
does anyone remember the Pacesetter novels. I was a major fan as I read many of its titles including "The instrument", "the worshippers", "mark of the cobra" etc
it was a very successfull series but unfortunately could not survive the drought that attacked Nigeria's reading culture in the late eighties.

1 Like

Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by mohawkchic(f): 2:41am On Jun 21, 2009
~Certainly old enuff to remember!!  grin I have read a few . . .
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 6:08pm On Jun 21, 2009
it was the most succesful fiction series ever to come out of naija. I loved reading them because the characters were so easy to relate with and the writers, storylines etc were really good. any ideas about where to get any copies? I'll pay handsomely cheesy
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by doyin13(m): 7:22pm On Jun 21, 2009
lol. . .its so funny.

Like every six months, an nlander gets a stab of nostalgia
and starts a topic on the pacesetters series.

You can get copies from this website

https://sslrelay.com/www.pacesetternovels.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154a3e7a397fbe3/shopdata/index.shopscript
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 12:11pm On Jun 22, 2009
Thanks doyin !!! You're tha man
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by theolar: 12:54pm On Jun 25, 2009
Yes i rememba those were d days of innocence wher good triumph ova evil
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 1:07pm On Jun 25, 2009
you know!!! good always seemed to triumph and the characters were always indigenous guys who were heroes. it helped me believe that nigerians could be heroes though i grew up to think otherwise.lol grin
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by yoji: 10:52pm On Jul 01, 2009
Yea man those books were classics, thanks for d time travel man.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by zibby(m): 12:53am On Jul 05, 2009
Man, loved the series! Wow, I haven't thought about those books in years! Somehow thought they were South African,
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by spoilt(f): 12:58am On Jul 05, 2009
Werent they supposed to be 'bad' back then? They usually had a guy on girl on the cover? grin
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by iniguy(m): 9:23pm On Jul 05, 2009
Pacesetter series brings back pleasant memories of my secondary school days, i read lots of them, unfortunately Bloodbath at lobster close is the surviving copy l have left.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Epiphany(m): 1:10pm On Jul 09, 2009
cry yes, i read almost ALL OF THEM. Those were the books that got me into reading novels in those days. Pacesetters and Hadley Chase books.

Where are the pacesetter series these days? Are they still in production. If not, that is a real pity!
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Epiphany(m): 1:17pm On Jul 09, 2009
MY GOD, i have just looked at the link and am looking at most of the titles and books i read. Brings back some serious memories, particularly of the days when things were good in Nigeria. These books were sold in a bookshop not too far from where i lived and my parents, who used to encourage me to read books, used to buy them for me and my siblings.
WOW, I feel like crying,
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Akanniade(m): 2:47am On Jul 13, 2009
My first was life is a lottery, then Director , christmas in the city , sisi , second chance, bloodbath at lobster close, the deliquents, Oh what pleasant memories
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 1:05pm On Jul 13, 2009
@Akanniade
my best has got to be the "instrument". A young ibadan based journalist investigating an epidemic of ritual murder and kidnappings all over the country uncovers a major plot by power mad occultists to take over by first destroying everyone by spreading death and confusion with the "instrument". A fantastic story with a unique plot.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by nwadinma(f): 9:20pm On Jul 13, 2009
I WAS WONDERING IF ANYHTING CAN MAKE THE PUBLISHERS TO BEGIN PRODUCTION AGAIN.
I MEAN GETTING NEWAUTHORS ON THE LIST.
I JUSTR WISH THEY CAN COME BACK TO BUSINESS.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 13, 2009
Fond memories of the Pacesetters series by Macmillan, and James Hadley Chase.

I read ALL Chase books, and almost every Pacesetter printed.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Akanniade(m): 6:17am On Jul 16, 2009
@russellino
There was this one with a similar plot " The Worshippers". maybe its a sequel.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by russellino: 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2009
Yep "The instrument" was another adventure by the journalist. Imagine how engaging those stories were yet simple and believable. It really would if they could revive the series, with new writers but sticking to the same formula of good storytelling
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by BabaOnileK: 10:21pm On Oct 28, 2010
Those who miss the Pacesetters series can probably visit the Ilupeju office at Industrial Avenue (opposite Zenith Bank). I was there yesterday (27th October 2010) and got like 14 titles at a low price of NGN280 each. I had previously bought three titles at NGN350 each at a book fair.

You may not get all the great titles but you would have a good selection.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by joanana(f): 12:08pm On Oct 29, 2010
I remember the pacesetter series n was a fan then but i can never forget my favourite novel EBU MY LOVE.

1 Like

Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Novice1(m): 10:00pm On Nov 06, 2010
Yeah, the first novel I read in my life was "The Blackmailers' written by one Joseph Mangut, given to me as my school's  speech and prize giving day as the best student in English Language, JSS 1 1986.

In a way that book was my appetizer to become the voracious reader I am today.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Novice1(m): 10:03pm On Nov 06, 2010
Yeah, the first novel I read in my life was "The Blackmailers' written by one Joseph Mangut, given to me as my school's  speech and prize giving day as the best student in English Language, JSS 1 1986.

In a way that book was my appetizer to become the voracious reader I am today.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by dumodust(m): 3:58pm On Nov 07, 2010
yeah, was old enough, read some myself
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by MyneWhite1(f): 6:38am On Nov 08, 2010
I will never forget Evbu My Love by Helen Ovbiagele
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by MaiSuya(m): 9:50pm On Nov 10, 2010
'The delinquent' by Mohammed Sule is the only one I can remember reading.

BTW, what exactly happened to the publishers?
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by zmurda(m): 6:48am On Jun 16, 2011
My bestest ones were
The smugglers
The Betrayers
The Black Temple
Mark of the Cobra
and the Worshippers

Damn, those were fine old days. . .

1 Like

Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by jonced(m): 5:07pm On Jun 22, 2011
@topic

Yeah, i was in secondary school in the '80s when pacesetter books were popular. The ones that really blew my mind are:

- Bloodbath at Lobster close
- The equitorial assignment (benny camber 009)
- Angel of Death (linda Harvey)
- Mark of the cobra
- The undesirable element
- For Mbatha n Rebecca.

Those were the days when Nigeria was a beautiful and peaceful country. No bombings, no greed, no hatred etc. How did things get sooo bad, sooo fast?

Cry, my beloved country, cry.

1 Like

Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by Bawss1(m): 10:28am On Jun 23, 2011
BabaOnileK:

Those who miss the Pacesetters series can probably visit the Ilupeju office at Industrial Avenue (opposite Zenith Bank). I was there yesterday (27th October 2010) and got like 14 titles at a low price of NGN280 each. I had previously bought three titles at NGN350 each at a book fair.

You may not get all the great titles but you would have a good selection.

I hope this place is still open. On my next trip to Lagos I'm going to check out that office, I want a collection of as many titles as I can find. Oh the memories!!

I loved reading Mark of the Cobra. It was an original Nigerian espionage story and I used to get goose bumps when my neighborhood back then in Port Harcourt was mentioned in the book.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by whirlwind7(m): 7:43am On Oct 27, 2013
Oh, sweet nostalgia! Like most guys from my generation, the Pacesetter series and James Hadley Chase novels initiated me into the world of reading. I would bury myself in those novels and totally become oblivious of what goes on around me. Began reading Pacesetters in my primary school days, late 80s. You can still get Hadley Chase novels, but Pacesetter books are now a rarity. Havent set my eyes on a copy for over 15 years. Im gonna check out that spot at Ilupeju whenever i visit. Hope i can get some for my library. They should be collectors item now.
Re: Anybody Old Enough To Remember The "pacesetters" Series by beylinko(m): 9:29am On Oct 27, 2013
Hahaha! Resurrection of the dead. I was in the the secondary school those days. One of my favourites is "The black temple." They had good collections of books back then with good writers, I wonder where they all went to... Probably out of the country.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Subtle Art Of Seduction / Rugged Life In Sec. Sch. / Bride For Rent (Orebe's Version) Season 1.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.