Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,598 members, 7,801,724 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:10 PM

Yoruba Words And Their Sources - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words And Their Sources (7903 Views)

Yoruba Words And Phrases That Has Gone Global!!(interesting) / Oworo Land: Where The Tongue Includes Igbo, Yoruba Words And Chief Bears Nupe / Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by absoluteSuccess: 9:06am On Jan 23, 2016
Well let me attempt to help your ministry.

You can take your questions to the oracle of Delphi, you bunch of menslayers.

I miss a part of their religious fervor filled threads and posts that project the sanctity of live over lost tradition, its only about accusations upon accusations of how others are the problems.

I also miss a thread that betrayed something else they do for living or a social aspect that embrace others or cut across the human society beside the glorification of tradition over progress.

Everything you are offline counts for who you are online for years, the time spent online, that's a piece of your life.

To destroy is easy, but to design eludes them, best only at the need to bring fear and trembling to life. What's the endgame of your time online?

What's the one thing that excites every ritualists, the occult and those given to insatiable lust for power?

An opportunity to fill the alter with ritual blood of their captives, to feed the gods that feel high on captives' blood to increase their rank, wealth and renew their covenants.

Just the good of this life at the prize of others life.

That which you do, do it quickly.

@Op

Where were you coming from that warrant you give an example? Why is your thought process not revealed?

Here is what I mean

If you come along to claim that the water we drink in Yoruba comes from rain, I will ask you, do you know about water cycle or evaporation?

If you tell me, the moon that shines on Yoruba land is cut out from the sun, I will ask you, do you know about earth rotation, that when a part of the earth is at night, a part of the moon is in afternoon?

So moonlight is an obscured reflections from the sun, and earth's shadow cast a crescent that expands daily till full moon, not that the moon generates its own light.

If relativity explains cosmic mass separated by space, only a fool of the first order will tell you that a ballpoint species cannot have common source.

Next is, what best explanations do justice to such observation. To wake and lay claims at things or fix it any how because you are 'authority' is madness.

That's dogma over scientific reasoning. A conclusion you reached without explanation is dogma, and explanation without conclusion is an open observation.

It's a shame if we can't think clear at this age and time upon all the education but only wants to occupy salient say post and relevance, it's a big shame.

Being subtle is not having knowledge, escapology is not a history, traditional dogma and religious dogma, linguistic dogma, which is different?

chowlade:
Examples of Yoruba words that are sourced from other languages from arround the world e.g.

Yoruba Source(English)
1.Musu Pusssy
2.Iresi Rice
3.Buredi Bread
4.Baba Papa
5.Toogi Thug
6.Oronbo Orange
7.Tabili Table
8.Akuko C.ock
9.Shukuru School
10.Beliti Belt
l11.Bobo Boy
12.Konkere Concrete
13.Yan Yawn
14.Taba Tobacco
15.Baber Paper
16.Silati Slate

Yoruba Source(Arabic)
17.Alubarika Albarka
18.Adura Ad-dua
19.Wahala Walh
20.Alubosa Albassa

Yoruba Source(Hausa)
21.Alafia Lafia

Yoruba Source(Bini)
22.Oja Oza i.e. baby wrapper

Add yours..
Source: Lalasticlala

You have observed a phenomenon, next is to attempt to explain it.

But I think you are stuck at proximity assumptions, that since all are languages, people should understand whatever is on your mind.

That's just oversimplification of knowledge, it's like asking, is asumo not from Ismail?

Trying to expose others can expose your ulterior motives and plans and obscured codes.
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by absoluteSuccess: 12:59pm On Jan 23, 2016
macof:

ok, I hope you are done with this phase.
Can you make sense now and answer simple questions? why are you ashamed of what you posted seeing someone else post the same thing without connection to the middle-east? maybe you can start seeing how easy it is to link yoruba with any place on the planet.

"Adele", the singer is and "Bale" the footballer are all evidence of yoruba footprint in Britain...what do you say?

What I say is I'm not distracted by your distractions, you can remove the pix of your bait and try some other ways to send home the message.

But it should also impress you that an index case is established, and the prime suspect filed. You want to hunt for me but you will end up being hunted.

your money won't save you.
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by macof(m): 6:57pm On Jan 25, 2016
absoluteSuccess:

What I say is I'm not distracted by your distractions, you can remove the pix of your bait and try some other ways to send home the message.

But it should also impress you that an index case is established, and the prime suspect filed. You want to hunt for me but you will end up being hunted.

your money won't save you.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Mr. Man I have nothing to do with 9jacrip's post about "people who make mockery of the Yoruba should be shot for their stupidity" it's your post that called for such statement. ..it is after all a very stuupid thing to say "Isokun is Isaac" or Ebora is Abraham(and later saying Ebora is Deborah)... does ur life depend on identifying with the people of the middle-east?

abeg o. ..I'm not the one that sent u messages on whatsapp. ..why would I send private messages to you when I think you insane?
grin grin grin gringrin grin paranoid and psychotic waoh!

I wish you get well at some point in your life
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 25, 2016
macof:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Mr. Man I have nothing to do with 9jacrip's post about "people who make mockery of the Yoruba should be shot for their stupidity" it's your post that called for such statement. ..it is after all a very stuupid thing to say "Isokun is Isaac" or Ebora is Abraham(and later saying Ebora is Deborah)... does ur life depend on identifying with the people of the middle-east?

abeg o. ..I'm not the one that sent u messages on whatsapp. ..why would I send private messages to you when I think you insane?
grin grin grin gringrin grin paranoid and psychotic waoh!

I wish you get well at some point in your life

You're still engaging our oga in a back and forth? It is best to leave people to believe in whatever appeals to them. I've adopted this stance as far as NL goes, going back and forth with people gets draining for me - after 1 or 2 posts with reasonable facts, I'm done.

This is a faceless forum, a o mo ara wa ri lati ibikankan, so the thought of death, threat or wish of it ninu odun tuntun and beyond o wapa, oga absolutesuccess whomever wishes you death ma fo ohun ati ebi e di, let's drop the reference to death or anything related, positive vibes loju regardless of varying opinions on a subject.
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by absoluteSuccess: 8:51pm On Jan 25, 2016
9jacrip:

You're still engaging our oga in a back and forth? It is best to leave people to believe in whatever appeals to them. I've adopted this stance as far as NL goes, going back and forth with people gets draining for me - after 1 or 2 posts with reasonable facts, I'm done.

This is a faceless forum, a o mo ara wa ri lati ibikankan, so the thought of death, threat or wish of it ninu odun tuntun and beyond o wapa, oga absolutesuccess whomever wishes you death ma fo ohun ati ebi e di, let's drop the reference to death or anything related, positive vibes loju regardless of varying opinions on a subject.

I'm humbled pal,

Thanks for this piece, our fathers said it all: 'are maja osi, ija l'ode l'orin d'owe, orin nii siwaju ote. Bogiri o l'anu, alangba o le wo'be.'

I hate to be the one speaking ill and raising hell about my brethren for what's not. I wont descend that low. It doesn't change anything nor prove anything. I don't hate, its not convenient for me.

Our fathers also said 'okete gbagbe ibosi, odegba alate o kawo l'eri' that is, the prey forgot to raise alarm, until it's just too late. He died in regrets.

I don't have 'persecution complex', no. And I won't develop one overnight. I will keep being a thinker and continue advancing in wisdom and knowledge without limits.

I wish the same for you beloved, life's good, but without good arguments, truth can never be established. May this year usher in knowledge of a wonderous kind to us all.

It's what we all seek after, I believe, not each others' life. And it's all we shall acquire at set time. Have yourself sweet pleasant nights and days always.

'May your path be full of challenges', said Tai Solarin, the great educationist. I live constantly in this reality.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by absoluteSuccess: 7:46am On Jan 26, 2016
Alright let's breath freshness.

op,

have you observed this word:

karamasiki?

I've heard it countless times in our expressions, but I know it's sourced from English.

charismatic.

What's your take, abi ire o fe karamasiki thread ire yi mo ni? Mase baun o.

Is it that you no longer want to be charismatic about this thread of yours? Don't do that ooo.

The most fitting expression is either aayo-okan, or agbaja. Inexhaustible good will or willingness to do.

cheesy

Aku ojumo.
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by macof(m): 10:54am On Jan 26, 2016
9jacrip:

grin grin Egbon. I had to clear myself o. ..before they accuse me of attempted murder... via whatsapp grin
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by Saukruat: 8:44pm On Jul 16, 2022
Examples of Yoruba words that are sourced from other languages from arround the world e.g.

Yoruba Source(English)
1.Musu Pusssy
2.Iresi Rice
3.Buredi Bread
4.Baba Papa
5.Toogi Thug
6.Oronbo Orange
7.Tabili Table
8.Akuko C.ock
9.Shukuru School
10.Beliti Belt
l11.Bobo Boy
12.Konkere Concrete
13.Yan Yawn
14.Taba Tobacco
15.Baber Paper
16.Silati Slate

Yoruba Source(Arabic)
17.Alubarika Albarka
18.Adura Ad-dua
19.Wahala Walh
20.Alubosa Albassa

Yoruba Source(Hausa)
21.Alafia Lafia

Yoruba Source(Bini)
22.Oja Oza i.e. baby wrapper

Add yours..
Source: Lalasticlala

Indigenous words you got wrong
Musu is not from pussy
Iresi is not from 'rice', just like emi/mi in Yoruba is not from English me, though they mean same thing. Also words like riz---- turns into rice is not from English, English adapted it. Baba is Yoruba word for father, it's a common word for father in many cultures as well because if it's simplicity in sound by babies. Oronbo is not from orange, it's a dialect yoruba word for orange with the main word for orange in yoruba being Osan. Akuko is indigenous word for chicken, like another yoruba word for chicken adiye/ediye. Nothing like SHUKURU used for school in Yoruba, school is Ile iwe. Bobo is a indigenous Yoruba word. I'm not sure about konkere, so I'll leave it. Taba is not from tobacco.... I know this post is long ago, by why does nairaland have such rubbish posts.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by Saukruat: 8:46pm On Jul 16, 2022
tpiah2:
Omoge -girl

Abo-bowl

Owuro-evening

Osan-sun

Geesi-English

Oro-word

Emi-me

Iwo-you (french vous)

Are you high These are all native yoruba words. Or did you miss the title.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by Saukruat: 8:49pm On Jul 16, 2022
tpiar:
Ewure-goat is probably from Chevre (French).

Tomati-Tomato (English)

Another comedian, ewure is indigenous yoruba word for goat, tomato is from Arabic, not English lmao. English got the word "tomato" from Arabic, tomati is also from Arabic
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by macof(m): 7:21am On Jul 17, 2022
Saukruat:

Are you high These are all native yoruba words. Or did you miss the title.
some of these people on nairaland are mad grin
He said ìwọ is borrowed from French
Re: Yoruba Words And Their Sources by tpiah2: 3:08pm On Jul 18, 2022
macof:
macof is mad grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can I Masturbate While Bathing Native Spiritual Soap / Torley Nigeria Launches #torleypidginchallenge To Celebrate Nigeria’s Diversity / Can U Put On The Clothes Of A Deceased Sibling Or Friend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.