Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,215 members, 7,780,402 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:38 PM

20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. (52709 Views)

10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid / 13 Grammatical Mistakes That Instantly Reveal People's Ignorance / 10 Grammar Mistakes You Should Avoid [part 1] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Jckleiin(m): 10:21pm On Jan 16, 2016
Thanks
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Goridoe(m): 10:22pm On Jan 16, 2016
Skillfullulu:
Like a big girl around my area said "he didn't told me" ...
Wha....

kikiki around ur area? u're from ikorodu, i guess lipsrsealed

na question i ask o
angry
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by orla01(f): 10:22pm On Jan 16, 2016
Good one thing one...linguist.... Thumbs up
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by orla01(f): 10:23pm On Jan 16, 2016
Good one linguist ...thumbs up.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by IamNat: 10:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
Thank God say dem no find any grammar mistake 4 any naija site.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by egorov(m): 10:24pm On Jan 16, 2016
Savigne:
NOT GUILTY
Oya here comes the queen herself....ElizabethIII
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Jabioro: 10:25pm On Jan 16, 2016
English is a troublesome language.... an ambiguous language you can't get it all..difficult than mathematics.

1 Like

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Vivipop(f): 10:26pm On Jan 16, 2016
Great piece! Well done @Op. No knowledge is a waste. We learn everyday.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jan 16, 2016
canalily:
My grand ma didnt go to school, yet her grammar is always object of curious attention for she speaks fluently, nd cnt make these silly miskirts
Miskirt ?
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Savigne(f): 10:29pm On Jan 16, 2016
egorov:
Oya here comes the queen herself....ElizabethIII
Yah right...You inferred all that from what?...The dp that I currently do not have or what?
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Savigne(f): 10:34pm On Jan 16, 2016
Jabioro:
English is a troublesome language.... an ambiguous language you can't get it all..difficult than mathematics.
I used to think otherwise but recent exposure to some people proved to me how right my mathematics teacher was back then...
English Language hard dieee.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Ameanux(m): 10:38pm On Jan 16, 2016
THEconqueror:
Very informative piece
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by GentleNate(m): 10:42pm On Jan 16, 2016
Tell me, who says studying English Language is easy??..huh? Nice one OP..
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by hoseamatoh(m): 10:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
I dey guilty of Number 13, thanks Op
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by canalily(m): 10:44pm On Jan 16, 2016
xoxo001:

Miskirt ?
thats why you like skirt and anything inside it. I no u must talkshocked
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by timothyuche1(m): 10:51pm On Jan 16, 2016
I'm enlightened
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Nobody: 10:52pm On Jan 16, 2016
•Deep-seated is often miswritten as deep-seeded, due to the confusion the American accent creates.

and,

majority of the flaws are present mainly because most of the words are homophones.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by illiad1(m): 10:54pm On Jan 16, 2016
Well done Op

@ no 12

Piece of mind in literature means, Your opinion, perspective, point of view, your advice, whatever you have to say personally concerning a matter.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by ewosk: 10:55pm On Jan 16, 2016
all the english sef....

So why is deep seeded inappropriate and deep seated is okay

y exact revenge n not exert revenge.......

but na JOHN JOHNSON language na copy person go copy.....

Some one once said LIFE IS A BED OF ROSES......cus a bed of roses requires hardwork and perservance to have....A rare sight to behold...

2 Likes

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by leokennedi(m): 10:59pm On Jan 16, 2016
A nice piece
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Forwetinnah: 11:01pm On Jan 16, 2016
Everyone makes grammatical errors. .even the English
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by willoy: 11:05pm On Jan 16, 2016
No. 8 is wrong. You emigrate from your home while you immigrate to a country.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by mankan2k7(m): 11:21pm On Jan 16, 2016
Did dangote knows all these? If not,forget English and make money
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by ibolomo(m): 11:23pm On Jan 16, 2016
LastMumu:
Mtcheeeeew, I knows all of them.
knows. . . . . Blood of Zecharaiah. . .
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by ultron(m): 11:25pm On Jan 16, 2016
End time 'mistakes'
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by professore(m): 11:45pm On Jan 16, 2016
Well I learnt one or two things
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2016
If you didn't get 20/20, you gotta be stupid af.
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by mikolo80: 11:56pm On Jan 16, 2016
Savigne:
NOT GUILTY
hmm, challenge
Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by Freksy(m): 11:58pm On Jan 16, 2016
meshacha1:
I am in love with the letter "J" because of a man named JESUS Born by a man called JOSEPH ,Baptized by a man called JOHN, In a river called JORDAN, In the land called JERUSALEM, Do you love him too?
If yes hit like and share

He was from the tribe of Judah and his heavenly father's name is Jehovah.

2 Likes

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by deji47: 12:02am On Jan 17, 2016
AyLuxury:

3. Sneak peak
A "peak" is a mountain top. A "peek" is a quick look. The correct expression is "sneak peek" which would mean to have a secret or early look at something.

19. Peaked my interest
To "pique" means to arouse, so the correct phrase here should be "piqued my interest," meaning that your interest was awoken. To say that something "peaked my interest" would mean that it looked at my interest. -

Quite educating. However you made the same Grammatical error you were trying to correct. As deduced from point 3, PEAKED AT MY INTEREST cannot mean LOOKED AT MY INTEREST as you pointed out in point 19.

1 Like

Re: 20 Stupid Grammar Mistakes That Even Smart People Make. by omonnakoda: 12:58am On Jan 17, 2016
AyLuxury:

8. Emigrated to
With this one there is no debate. The verb "emigrate" is always used with the preposition "from," whereas immigrate is always used with the preposition "to." To emigrate is to come from somewhere, and to immigrate is to go to somewhere. "Jimmy emigrated from Ireland to the United States" means the same thing as "Jimmy immigrated to the United States from Ireland." It's just a matter of what you're emphasizing — the coming or the going.

Good job but No.8 is wrong

emigrate is to go
and immigrate to come

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NUC Releases List Of Illegal Tertiary Institutions In Nigeria / Almajiri Schools Built By Jonathan Government Decaying Across Nigeria / Who Does This Teacher Represent During Your Secondary Sch Days?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.