Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,375 members, 7,808,309 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? (6781 Views)

Mitsubishi Recalls 368,000 Vehicles As They Constitute Major Hazards / What’s Wrong With This Audi Billboard? (photo) / What Is Wrong With These FRSC Vehicle's Tyres? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 8:57pm On Jan 16, 2016
Evening house

I av been flirting with getting a 2002 mitsubishi montero sport for a while now

Mechanics and electricians,former owners and enthusiasts that i av met and discussed with have said its not a good buy.....with specific respect to how the engines dont last

Personally i av observed that a lot of mitsubishi cars smoke...and i think that maybe,just maybe its largely due to abuse i.e,using the wrong grade of oil etc

I am of the opinion that using the right oil and filter as at when due will make the engine last longer.....but all those iv spoken to seem to disagree..that mitsubishi make bad engines and dats all

So,my question is....what really is the problem with mitsubishi engines?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 10:06pm On Jan 16, 2016
Cc...Kingreign gazzuzz siena mayor2013 decotech honmusa denn sultaan piyke ikenna351
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by abolore80(m): 10:40pm On Jan 16, 2016
that's my observation too with many mitsubishi that I've come across. though they have good build and highly fuel efficient, but their drawbacks is that, their engines are not built to stand the test of time. it smokes easily and I think it has to do with their engines. mitsubishi really need to work on their engines. for now, it's a No No for me.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by mayor2013: 10:59pm On Jan 16, 2016
diportivo:
Evening house

I av been flirting with getting a 2002 mitsubishi montero sport for a while now

Mechanics and electricians,former owners and enthusiasts that i av met and discussed with have said its not a good buy.....with specific respect to how the engines dont last

Personally i av observed that a lot of mitsubishi cars smoke...and i think that maybe,just maybe its largely due to abuse i.e,using the wrong grade of oil etc

I am of the opinion that using the right oil and filter as at when due will make the engine last longer.....but all those iv spoken to seem to disagree..that mitsubishi make bad engines and dats all

So,my question is....what really is the problem with mitsubishi engines?
Factory error. You don't wana get the mitsibushi GDI 2000. Worse than the ones you know
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by sultaan(m): 11:07pm On Jan 16, 2016
Mitsubishi make good cars the engine smoke might be from use of wrong oils or they have fragile valve cover gaskets.

I can't use the Nigerian experience to review brands.My first car was a Mitsubishi and it was reliable
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by peterjero(m): 2:29am On Jan 17, 2016
How come they last in other countries, after all you said a 2002 montero, that means it has been used and has survived.... GAZZUZZ said something about Mitsubishi though I await his response to this matter.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Originalsly: 5:25am On Jan 17, 2016
From my observation....I come to the same conclusion... Mitsubishi motors do not last long.... the cars/Suv's are scrapped before the body can even begin to rust. Op...are you sure that 2002 Montero is drivable? That is a rare sight. ... more likely to see the 1997/98 Galant than the Montero/Montero Sport.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Denn(m): 7:34am On Jan 17, 2016
The Montero sports is a sweet car to drive. Despite it being a full SUV, it has a sports mode button that delays gear shifts just like in a performance car.

Driving up to 180km per hour is possible even on Nigerian roads.

In a race with a friend one night coming from the club, I dusted the friend who was in his EOD with my Montero sports then...

Despite this sweet drive experience, the valve seals have a penchant for dying before their time. My Montero sports then started the blue smoke of death thingy less than 6 months after purchase. I knew less about cars then but had consistently changed oil and filters regularly. In fact, there was a day I changed all the filters during service....fuel, air, oil etc.

Someone has suggested that our lack of recommended oils in Nigeria could be the fault. I used the 20 w 50 Mobil XHP to service my cars then. It could be one of the reasons, it could not...I am not certain.

I started a mental task of checking the exhaust of Montero sports I see on the road to check for the symptoms I noticed on mine....a slight smoke puff at acceleration and gear changes...almost all had the fever.

To add salt to injury, my Montero sports started gobbling oil. A trip from Lagos to Ibadan required at least 1.5 litres of oil extra...same for return.

AC was cold, transmission shifts fine, car handles well, even moves well but it was an oil addict and a smoke farter.

I would really also like to get to the root of this matter and would really appreciate comments on the why and its prevention....no assumptions please.

PS: problem only noticed with the Mitsubishi Montero Sports ( which is different from the Mitsubishi Montero)

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 7:37am On Jan 17, 2016
Originalsly:
From my observation....I come to the same conclusion... Mitsubishi motors do not last long.... the cars/Suv's are scrapped before the body can even begin to rust. Op...are you sure that 2002 Montero is drivable? That is a rare sight. ... more likely to see the 1997/98 Galant than the Montero/Montero Sport.

Yes it is driveable....lol

I fell in love with it after driving one actually

Altho i av noticed the smoking phenomenon a long time ago
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 7:38am On Jan 17, 2016
mayor2013:

Factory error. You don't wana get the mitsibushi GDI 2000. Worse than the ones you know

Yes

The GDI is a no-no

Away from the injection system,why dont the engines last
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 7:39am On Jan 17, 2016
Denn

What year was yours??
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Denn(m): 7:40am On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:
Denn

What year was yours??

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 7:42am On Jan 17, 2016
Denn:

Engine replaced or u simply dashed d car out

cheesy
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Denn(m): 7:47am On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:

Engine replaced or u simply dashed d car out

cheesy

Sold as is.

The unfortunate part...vehicle was over pimped:
4 new brand tires....SUV spec...100k
Bluetooth Single DIN sound system...45k (Bluetooth sound systems were exoitic then)
High output sub woofer with Amp...30k
Full tint plus permit...
Etc

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by sultaan(m): 11:17am On Jan 17, 2016
Denn:
The Montero sports is a sweet car to drive. Despite it being a full SUV, it has a sports mode button that delays gear shifts just like in a performance car.

Driving up to 180km per hour is possible even on Nigerian roads.

In a race with a friend one night coming from the club, I dusted the friend who was in his EOD with my Montero sports then...

Despite this sweet drive experience, the valve seals have a penchant for dying before their time. My Montero sports then started the blue smoke of death thingy less than 6 months after purchase. I knew less about cars then but had consistently changed oil and filters regularly. In fact, there was a day I changed all the filters during service....fuel, air, oil etc.

Someone has suggested that our lack of recommended oils in Nigeria could be the fault. I used the 20 w 50 Mobil XHP to service my cars then. It could be one of the reasons, it could not...I am not certain.

I started a mental task of checking the exhaust of Montero sports I see on the road to check for the symptoms I noticed on mine....a slight smoke puff at acceleration and gear changes...almost all had the fever.

To add salt to injury, my Montero sports started gobbling oil. A trip from Lagos to Ibadan required at least 1.5 litres of oil extra...same for return.

AC was cold, transmission shifts fine, car handles well, even moves well but it was an oil addict and a smoke farter.

I would really also like to get to the root of this matter and would really appreciate comments on the why and its prevention....no assumptions please.

PS: problem only noticed with the Mitsubishi Montero Sports ( which is different from the Mitsubishi Montero)

Burning oil smoking are related but I am sure there would be a CEL.

Most Montero with the 3.5l engine do not get serviced properly because the intake manifold covers the spark plugs and costs double for tuneup so most were never serviced oil leaks from valve cover too gets ignored for the same reason.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Denn(m): 12:05pm On Jan 17, 2016
sultaan:

Burning oil smoking are related but I am sure there would be a CEL.

Most Montero with the 3.5l engine do not get serviced properly because the intake manifold covers the spark plugs and costs double for tuneup so most were never serviced oil leaks from valve cover too gets ignored for the same reason.

Online searches on this particular problem point to one thing....the valve stem seals.

The seals seem to harden and must be replaced at 100,000 miles generally.

Bad spark plugs should not cause engine smoking.

If I own the vehicle presently, I would be doing a complete valve job.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 12:13pm On Jan 17, 2016
We are making progress

Valve stem seals
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by DECOtech(m): 1:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:
Cc...Kingreign gazzuzz siena mayor2013 decotech honmusa denn sultaan piyke ikenna351

Who said there was something I wrong with MIT engines?

People just go about abusing engines and n the end turn around to say they don't last.

I currently use a GDI MIT as a field vehicle and it is serving.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Piyke: 2:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
Have not had any experience with a MIT, no family member or even friend owns one. So no comments sad
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by kingreign(m): 2:50pm On Jan 17, 2016
Piyke:
Have not had any experience with a MIT, no family member or even friend owns one. So no comments sad
Seconded embarassed
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:52pm On Jan 17, 2016
worked on a couple of pajeros since opening shop, 2 of them were 2012 models with less than 80,000km and did not smoke or short oil the others were older versions of the montero, and also had no smoke or oil issues, there was one in the north used by a provost in ATBU for over 6years (maybe he still has it) but no smoke or oil shortages. But now that you have mentioned it, I'll start looking. Personally not a fan of any car that I can't source new and toks parts with ease.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 6:44pm On Jan 17, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
worked on a couple of pajeros since opening shop, 2 of them were 2012 models with less than 80,000km and did not smoke or short oil the others were older versions of the montero, and also had no smoke or oil issues, there was one in the north used by a provost in ATBU for over 6years (maybe he still has it) but no smoke or oil shortages. But now that you have mentioned it, I'll start looking. Personally not a fan of any car that I can't source new and toks parts with ease.

My oga....greetings

I know u are a fan of a the 05 06 07 kia rio/hyundai accent

Wld u say that uts easier to source parts for those dan for the mitsubishi?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 6:46pm On Jan 17, 2016
kingreign:

Seconded embarassed

Oga mike

U do well o

I will look for that thread that u said mitsubishi engines dont last and den quote u :-p

U den explain why u said so cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by kingreign(m): 7:03pm On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:

Oga mike

U do well o

I will look for that thread that u said mitsubishi engines dont last and den quote u :-p

lipsrsealed
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by kingreign(m): 7:05pm On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:

Oga mike

U do well o

lipsrsealed
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:53pm On Jan 17, 2016
diportivo:

My oga....greetings

I know u are a fan of a the 05 06 07 kia rio/hyundai accent

Wld u say that uts easier to source parts for those dan for the mitsubishi?

engine+autotransmission+a.c compressor+power steering pump 62k in a warehouse in ladipo. Korean shocks 15k a set. Brakepads 2naira tongue do I continue?
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by akanniade10(m): 8:06pm On Jan 17, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

engine+autotransmission+a.c compressor+power steering pump 62k in a warehouse in ladipo. Korean shocks 15k a set. Brakepads 2naira tongue do I continue?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, yes continue. And for which models gan gan
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by diportivo: 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

Kontunu

grin grin
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:00pm On Jan 17, 2016
the car parts are amazingly cheap, currently searching for a nigerian used one that is automatic.
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by mayor2013: 9:09pm On Jan 17, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
the car parts are amazingly cheap, currently searching for a nigerian used one that is automatic.

Which of the kia? Definitely not the kia cerato (2010) worked on one last year and priced the engine for close to 450k . I was made to understand it shares same engine with some latest hyundai forgotten the very one. So the igbo man sees it as getting a lastest engine . 1 of the reason for the high cost
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 22, 2016
peterjero:
How come they last in other countries, after all you said a 2002 montero, that means it has been used and has survived.... GAZZUZZ said something about Mitsubishi though I await his response to this matter.

abeg ask them , how come they last in other countries, people go to road side and buy diluted engine oil and cry that their engines smoke.

Mitsubhishi products are good, owned a 1996 carisma for 5yrs never had smoking engine . wink
Re: What Exactly Is Wrong With Mitsubishi Engines? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jan 22, 2016
Originalsly:

Your conclusions are wrong, the smoking engine is purely a maintenance issue with the car owner.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is This The Ugliest G-wagon G550 / My 3 Weeks Experience Driving A Toyota Camry Xle 2003 / 10 Tips To Keep Your Car Safe From Break-ins And Theft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.