Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,882 members, 7,806,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation (9261 Views)

How Nigerian Churches Are Taking Advantage Of Technology To Make Global Impact / Churches And Mosques To Pay Tax In Lagos; Land Use Charge To Be Reviewed / Daddy Freeze: "Speaking In Tongues In Nigerian Churches Is Fake” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 17, 2016
I'm so happy I'm gradually moving away from mindless religious to a position of common sense and critical thought.

It's my deepest believe that religion should serve as a means of elevating man from mediocrity to excellence; poverty to abundance; ignorance to knowledge, and from primitivity to civilisation. But for the inherent weaknesses of human nature, religion has been so effectively used to degrade the human sense, turn men into unthinking zombies, push men away from improved lifestyles into poverty, and exploit and rob unsuspecting people of their meagre resources.

What transpired in my RCCG parish earlier this morning was shocking, shameful and insulting to sane minds.

For the past 7 or so years, we the parish members have almost singlehandedly built our edifice from scratch. We struggled to get an expensive piece of land using bank loans after shifting from place to place, managed to put up the structure, and bought the sound system and other things to make the place conducive for members. Sadly, as the case is with the RCCG administration, more than 70% of what we generated within this period was still being sent to the province and from there it will land in the HQs in Lagos- Ibadan.

This morning our pastor announced we will be dedicating that edifice to the glory of God. The only issue is: our provincial pastors and others said we MUST make available the sum of money between N150, 000 to N200, 000 as honorarium before they will come around to dedicate the building. I almost went berserk.

When one of us asked why that should be the case, he was told that has been the tradition- that we must make money available whenever our top pastors come visiting the lower churches for whatever reasons. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just doesn't make any iota of sense to me. It's absurd. This is nothing but religious exploitation. Why must the leaders ask us to pay for services we believe they're rendering to God? Somebody please help me.

As for me, I'm NOT giving a dime to that religious waste BUT I feel it's even terrible such traditions are allowed in the house of God. It's crazy.

Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.

If religion keeps creating pains for me, of what benefit is it to me? Why don't more people speak out against these exploitation? It's insane.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by hahn(m): 5:05pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:
I'm so happy I'm gradually moving away from mindless religious to a position of common sense and critical thought.

It's my deepest believe that religion should serve as a means of elevating man from mediocrity to excellence; poverty to abundance; ignorance to knowledge, and from primitivity to civilisation. But for the inherent weaknesses of human nature, religion has been so effectively used to degrade the human sense, turn men into unthinking zombies, push men away from improved lifestyles into poverty, and exploit and rob unsuspecting people of their meagre resources.

What transpired in my RCCG parish earlier this morning was shocking, shameful and insulting to sane minds.

For the past 7 or so years, we the parish members have almost singlehandedly built our edifice from scratch. We struggled to get an expensive piece of land using bank loans after shifting from place to place, managed to put up the structure, and bought the sound system and other things to make the place conducive for members. Sadly, as the case is with the RCCG administration, more than 70% of what we generated within this period was still being sent to the province and from there it will land in the HQs in Lagos- Ibadan.

This morning our pastor announced we will be dedicating that edifice to the glory of God. The only issue is: our provincial pastors and others said we MUST make available the sum of money between N150, 000 to N200, 000 as honorarium before they will come around to dedicate the building. I almost went berserk.

When one of us asked why that should be the case, he was told that has been the tradition- that we must make money available whenever our top pastors come visiting the lower churches for whatever reasons. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It just doesn't make any iota of sense to me. It's absurd. This is nothing but religious exploitation. Why must the leaders ask us to pay for services we believe they're rendering to God? Somebody please help me.

As for me, I'm NOT giving a dime to that religious waste BUT I feel it's even terrible such traditions are allowed in the house of God. It's crazy.

Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.

If religion keeps creating pains for me, of what benefit is it to me? Why don't more people speak out against these exploitation? It's insane.

Lol. Bros, Jesus never existed. The sole purpose of the creation of christ was to ensure that slaves remained loyal to their masters. Religion is a tool in the hands of the elite to control the masses and Africans have been controlled by this contraption ever since the first slave ship "Jesus" set off from England.

You are an intelligent man. Research and free yourself from this mental slavery.

There is no god. We are gods.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by datola: 5:06pm On Jan 17, 2016
Oga o! It's so pathetic.

When last or how frequent did/do you hear the pastors preach about heaven and the love of money being the root of all evils.

.."God is a Spirit and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth". They are practically worshipping money these days that has made almost impossible for a poor man to flow in church.

These are end time happenings and the Bible has warned about it.

It's better not to be close to them all the name of joining the ministers/workers to serve God. It takes one away far from heaven. Just go to church to worship God, do evangelism, live holy life and other injunctions of the Bible.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jan 17, 2016
datola:
Oga o

It's really sad and depressing. This is madness.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Lol. Bros, Jesus never existed. The sole purpose of the creation of christ was to ensure that slaves remained loyal to their masters. Religion is a tool in the hands of the elite to control the masses and Africans have been controlled by this contraption ever since the first slave ship "Jesus" set off from England.

You are an intelligent man. Research and free yourself from this mental slavery.

My Oga, the above pass me for the time being.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by kaboninc(m): 5:16pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

The Senior Pastors should even support the church even with the honorarium. Its sad. I do not want to even go into what I've seen. But all depends on how you were brought up.

As for the GO, they claim that they use the funds to maintain the place. Well, with what I say there, I believe my money wasn't a waste. Its a beautiful place.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Ishilove: 5:16pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jan 17, 2016
kaboninc:

The Senior Pastors should even support the church even with the honorarium. Its sad. I do not want to even go into what I've seen. But all depends on how you were brought up.

As for the GO, they claim that they use the funds to maintain the place. Well, with what I say there, I believe my money wasn't a waste. Its a beautiful place.

No way....Instead they're adding to our burdens the more....bro, I've also seen a lot of mad administration within the RCCG. The emphasis on money is becoming a factor I'll eventually leave the system for......

As for the house, it shouldn't be made compulsory. The church's already wealthy enough. Christianity is becoming too expensive oooo

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Ishilove: 5:20pm On Jan 17, 2016
My belief is you can only be exploited if you want to be exploited. These traditions they made mention of, who instituted them? Is it not men?

Bleh! If your church doesn't change you, change your church. When you notice some unpalatable practices that can't be ignored, dust your legs and move on. Shikena.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 5:21pm On Jan 17, 2016
The Church started as a movement in Jerusalem...it got to Rome and became an Institution.... It spread round Europe and became a Culture.....it got to America and became a Business.....Europe and America exported their different variants to Africa and it became Confusion but Christ is coming back for the movement "

The saga of the African spiritual business man continues........

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ishilove:
My belief is you can only be exploited if you want to be exploited. These traditions they made mention of, who instituted them? Is it not men?

Bleh! If your church doesn't change you, change your church. When you notice some unpalatable practices that can't be ignored, dust your legs and move on. Shikena.

I agree with your first paragraph. To be exploited is a choice. I've tried challenging most of these man made, confusing, doctrines and it's like I'm fighting an established system. Our people can tolerate a lot shaaa.

I've been considering moving away from the RCCG; I'm not just in sync with many of its man made doctrines. The burden and stress is becoming unbeatable....and unbearable.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by kaboninc(m): 5:26pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

No way....Instead they're adding to our burdens the more....bro, I've also seen a lot of mad administration within the RCCG. The emphasis on money is becoming a factor I'll eventually leave the system for......

As for the house, it shouldn't be made compulsory. The church's already wealthy enough. Christianity is becoming too expensive oooo

I really do not support the 70% contributionon thing. There are so many churches and I believe little contributions here and there can be used to support the HQ.

On the house, you have a point. The church can decide to foot the bill. Maybe they are trying to bring in decorum and instil discipline because too much free thing invites all manner of people.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Ishilove: 5:27pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

I agree with your first paragraph. To be exploited is a choice. I've tried challenging most of these man made, confusing, doctrines and it's like I'm fighting an established system. Our people can tolerate a lot shaaa.

I've been considering moving away from the RCCG; I'm not just in sync with many of its man made doctrines. The burden and stress is becoming unbeatable....and unbearable.
Then move on already. Life is too complicated to have religious doctrines complicate it further.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 5:27pm On Jan 17, 2016
....Just when I was getting my head together, I was told that our G.O used to live in an apartment in the Redemption Camp before he moved into a more befitting one. Now, that apartment is being turned into a museum- members allegedly pay N500 to see inside. Another madness and exploitation. I just don't get mind around these things.....

Deification of man....has he turned Christ?

Its sure his grave will become a pilgrimage site eventually....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ishilove:

Then move on already. Life is too complicated to have religious doctrines complicate it further.

I agree.....This is confusion. This is hell already.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jan 17, 2016
Candour:

Deification of man....has he turned Christ?

Its sure his grave will become a pilgrimage site eventually....

Even Christ never sanctioned us to visit His graveside. These are all man made confusions.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jan 17, 2016
You can only be exploited if you want. I donate regularly to the needy in church, I don't miss or joke with that one.
That's the highest I do. All these calendar projects, changing fan to AC, sound system upgrade (etc) ain't my business.

The irony of this thing is, na those people wey suffer pass dey go out of their way to give, just to impress their unit leaders.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jan 17, 2016
kaboninc:

I really do not support the 70% contributionon thing. There are so many churches and I believe little contributions here and there can be used to support the HQ.

On the house, you have a point. The church can decide to foot the bill. Maybe they are trying to bring in decorum and instil discipline because too much free thing invites all manner of people.

The RCCG runs runs a system akin to the one Nigeria runs as a people....embellishing while corners are impoverished......70% of whatever a parish ends up leaving the parishes, whether the parish is building or not is immaterial....it has to go....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:33pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Lolzz . Brother Hahn , it is not a must to comment . How is this a pertinent response to the issue being discussed . It is not everyday atheism atheism leave we Christians to enjoy the luxury of the Religion section here .

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by hahn(m): 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2016
Ishilove:

*yawns*
undecided
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jan 17, 2016
Kachisbarbie:
You can only be exploited if you want. I donate regularly to the needy in church, I don't miss or joke with that one.
That's the highest I do. All these calendar projects, changing fan to AC, sound system upgrade ain't my business.

The irony of this thing is, na those people wey suffer pass dey go out of their way to give, just to impress their unit leaders.

Your last paragraph: that's the truth...We've been fully zombied into thinking we only get blessings from God when we give to those who already have become wealthy. Scam......

I also give whenever and however I feel like. No one controls that for me NOW. Not any more.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Candour(m): 5:35pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

Even Christ never sanctioned us to visit His graveside. These are all man made confusions.

Of course bro....

A very long time ago I realized all these shenanigans and I stopped following men. The bible is written in a language I can read and understand so I do my own study.

Long and short is that I stopped following gods of men masquerading as men of God.

Imagine! Former residence turned museum and fellow Nigerians are paying to view??

We Pentecostals accused the RCC of a lot of similar things but as it is now, we've done/are doing worse than them.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by hahn(m): 5:36pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

My Oga, the above pass me for the time being.

Lol. I feel you bros but the truth is that christianity is a big scam and the irony of it is that the only people promoting it the most are the victims of the scam undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by hahn(m): 5:38pm On Jan 17, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Lolzz . Brother Hahn , it is not a must to comment . How is this a pertinent response to the issue being discussed . It is not everyday atheism atheism leave we Christians to enjoy the luxury of the Religion section here .

I know. I know. You are deluded and proud. Break a leg undecided
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jan 17, 2016
Hmmmm quite sad for some churches..
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:41pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

I know. I know. You are deluded and proud. Break a leg undecided

You are the one who is actually deluded and proud - peddling none sense which is not relevant to the thread and first to comment for that matter

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:42pm On Jan 17, 2016
Candour:

Of course bro....

A very long time ago I realized all these shenanigans and I stopped following men. The bible is written in a language I can read and understand so I do my own study.

Long and short is that I stopped following gods of men masquerading as men of God.

Imagine! Former residence turned museum and fellow Nigerians are paying to view??

We Pentecostals accused the RCC of a lot of similar things but as it is now, we've done/are doing worse than them.

Mine started a few years ago. I realised something was is within me; I studied all the Pauline Epistles, including Acts of the Apostle. It was shocking to observe we have added or subtracted from the Bible.

After that epiphany, I also stopped following MOGs. Like you said, the Bible is written in languages clear enough for us to do our own personal and detailed study and seek the truth. It's being liberty and joy ever since.

Christ never sanctioned anyone to visit his graveside or Ben a Jerusalem pilgrimage; we just concocted all those nonsense.

The Nigerian version of Christianity is largely confusion. ....and headache. I'm already tired.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 17, 2016
iAmCharis:
Hmmmm quite sad for some churches..

The exploitation is real. It's real. This is merchandise.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by urahara(m): 5:46pm On Jan 17, 2016
dearpreye:

Lol. Same thing last year I was in a rccg service when the pastor said that a service called " a day with daddy g. O" will be holding and its about children meeting the g.o one on one and that the each child should pay 15000 naira.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
urahara:

Lol. Same thing last year I was in a rccg service when the pastor said that a service called " a day with daddy g. O" will be holding and its about children meeting the g.o one on one and that the each child should pay 15000 naira.

That one na another matter on its own. It's being increased to N 20 , 000 now. I just walked away SMH when the announcement was made.
Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Lol. I feel you bros but the truth is that christianity is a big scam and the irony of it is that the only people promoting it the most are the victims of the scam undecided
You atheists always complain of Christians shoving their believe in God down down your throats. Why can't you also just avoid this thread?

Christianity is not a scam, Jesus is real and alive in our world today, he lives in me and through me.

16 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigerian Churches And The Culture Of Extreme Exploitation by urahara(m): 5:52pm On Jan 17, 2016
hahn:

Hahn. Everything you said is true apart from the non existence of Jesus. He existed but was unfortunately idolized just like Buddha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20 Babies Delivered At The Redemption Camp / Mfm Gen218 Singles-2017 Stepping High(21 Day Fasting) / What Does The Resurrection Of Christ Signify To You As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.