Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,369 members, 7,800,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112283 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dapee(m): 11:55am On Aug 19, 2009
Thanks to AjanleKoko for creating this thread.You are God sent most of my questions have been answered by AjanleKoko and salihu_ali.God bless u sirs.I have taken CCNA and am preparing for CCNP and CWNA exams.I was studying for MCSE i had to stop at MCSA and opted for CCNP.I have been confused on the decision i took, but with this thread i have a clearer picture of it.Thanks Guys. kiss kiss kiss
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 21, 2009
Hallo House, hope the weekend is looking fulfilling.
kenniojo, please try to take time to educate us about your background and to<b>READ</> through the previous posts before asking, it helps us move forward faster.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2009
Directed <b>only</b> at starters needing direction and hand-holding-
OK, I'm throwing my collection of "stuffs" open to every one on the forum. It's taken almost 4 years and plenrry, plenrry sufferhead browsing to amass. I got most of it for free and I intend to give it out for free too. Just one plea - please don't commercialize it. I hope you find it helpful. Its about 3.5GB of books (about 270 pdfs and .chm files) and some videos. This is my contribution to all starters, like myself, who are interested in being among the next generation of telecom whizkids in the Middle East and Africa region. Its the hard-knocks route I know but if we have to start with what we have, where we are and start now thats the only way. If the government is not going to create an enabling environment for us we're going to make the most of what we have and not grow old whining and blaming while the best of life passes us by. This offer is seriously for those ready to learn new stuff and unlearn the old. Someone said "don't be afraid of starting small, whats important is grow fast (by learning)."
If you are resident in Lagos and enthusiastic about starting off in Telecommunications you're welcome. The offer is free. No strings attached.
Just two draw backs -
1 - I can't make this available online, attaching by email or on a file sharing site - the sheer volume! please house how do we help out those not resident in lag ?
2 - I can't burn to DVD or CD 'cos my DVD -drive is bad and I'm battling repairing my Master Boot Record for Vista.
So, in all humility it means you'll have to come in person. find attached the list of the ebooks.
LinuxCBT Scripting [300MB]
CBT Nuggets CCENT/CCNA [650MB]
Train Signal CCNA Security
CBT Nuggets CCNP [950MB]
CBT Nuggets CCIE R&S
CBT Nuggets CCVP CVoice [640MB]
CBT Nuggets Microsoft Exchange Server [230MB]
CBT Nuggets CISA - Certified Information Systems Auditor [1.26GB]
CBT Nuggets CWNA - Certfified Wireless Network Administrator [300MB]
CBT Nuggets CWSP - Certified Wireless Security Professional [260MB]
CBT Nuggets CEH - Certified Ethical Hacker [260MB]
VTC TCP/IP Analysis
Teracom VoIP (Voice over IP) [abt 1GB]
Random Videos on Hacking, sorry Penetration Testing [700MB]

If you have enough free space to make images,
backtrack2 - A linux OS purpose-built for hacking (700Mb) LiveCD
VMware Workstation 6.0.2.59824 a virtualization software emulate a virtual PC on your physical system
Sun Solaris 10 OS (3.5Gb)
openSUSE linux 11.1 (4.2Gb)
I should have Asterisk (Linux OS purpose-built for IP PABX if you want to learn VoIP) soon.
I'll post my office address when I see that there's proportianate interest.
Please forgive the multi-partite documents I'v been banned three times trying to post the full list
In the meantime have a splendid weekend.
P.S : I hope there are a few software (ladies) amongst us hardware ? wink

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by udotech: 3:21pm On Aug 22, 2009
@ Acknowledge.
You sound highly professional and not just that , you sound refined. I am happy for people like you. The question you asked about M2M, PTT and many other things make you seem good to relate with professionally. You are really still studying and up to date.
Keep it up
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Isuata: 6:48pm On Aug 24, 2009
Great Thread
thx alot to Ajanlekoko n salifu and especially to everybody asking questions,its helped me created better phrases to use on google to get the right materials.
After i read thru page one to two back then,i knew i just had to get into telecoms no matter how.I am a server admin-mostly been into server configs and all.Hold all the microsoft thingys upto mcitp even lectured at some point on it.I have an Arts-English University |background.

Now my question is dis, i have so much materials now even more than most schools hav and i ve red dem all.Hlf of all dis materials is very understandble the other half is not becos of lack of hands-on. where does one really able to get hands-on on BSS(BTS,BSC) installations and configs,NSS/MSC too alike?Mind you i went as far as googling and downloading equipment manuals(from ZTE to Nokia and Huawei) and pics jst to get a feel of it/yet iam stil not convinced iam upto taking a job in Telecoms.Pls i need somewia in Abuja wia one can truely lern all of dis hands-on wise.

Wat i ll tell yu most of us upcoming is dis, d telecom field is not actually rocket science,it only nids a certain amount of dedication and commitment.If you want e-books.You ll be surprised at my stock now.I feel proud-lol!Just request and ill post it somewia for yu to download.

Now ajanlekok sir,i have a funny Q to ask.Wtat kind of connection is used between BTS site-BSC site and From BSc site to Switching center.Cos since i sasw all dis diagrams i have bin wondering ow dem mtn's connect to dia sites and wia drn swithinhg centers cld be.
thx alot guys
kip it coming
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:51pm On Aug 24, 2009
Isu ata:

Now ajanlekok sir,i have a funny Q to ask.Wtat kind of connection is used between BTS site-BSC site and From BSc site to Switching center.Cos since i sasw all dis diagrams i have bin wondering ow dem mtn's connect to dia sites and wia drn swithinhg centers cld be.
thx alot guys
kip it coming

Hi,
That is where transmission, or backhaul, comes into play.
In Nigeria, we use microwave links, or fiber optic rings, to carry the traffic between these nodes.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2009
Oga AjanleKoko is on point.
I'm aware thats the core business of Harris Stratex networks in Nigeria. I think Dizengoff is also into Microwave.
I'v also heard of a technology called FSO (Free Space Optics). Its not common though, its like 'Fiber through the air'. The drawbacks are that its for relatively short distances and it requires absolute line of sight. The stuff uses dual point to point laser, one to receive and the other to transmit. heard its capable of something around 1.2Gbps. So I'm guessing its for use in urban areas that usually have a high density of callers (capacity as against coverage) and the amount of traffic (majorly voice) that will be aggregated trunked off from the BTS to the BSC needs to be higher than usual. A3&O at Abraham Kayode in VI deployed it for MTN way back around 03 - 05, i think.
In rural areas where the terrain is treacherous, and good RF Line of Sight (<60%) is not guaranteed, some operators would trunk out by VSAT (guaranteed latency, i.e delay, of about 500ms - 2 hops) which really isn't good for Real Time Protocols, like Voice, which doesn't do retransmissions for dropped packets/frames. WiMAX is also becoming an option for operators as a backhaul option.
Fibre has always been the best route to go especially with DWDM, you wan try the bandwidth and latency combo ?
But as already has been pointed out, its SDH/PDH thats the normal way to go.
Oga Mi, + or - as appropriate.
i'll try and post a diagrammatic representation soon.
P.S: off topic, is there a slight hope of the possibility that there might maybe be a probability that probably there are any software (ladies) amongst us hardware wink
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by deevuu(m): 5:09pm On Aug 25, 2009
******************ISU ATA Hia-sorry im using my frend's handle***************

@Ajanlekoko and Salifu

Hmmn, i tot of that too (sdh/pdh) makes lots of sense(transmission, hmmmnn.)
also i saw fibre-Ow ROI is dat? Laying fibre from all BTS sites

Also, iam more intrested in the core workings of BSC's.Pls expantiate more

And thx for your support

Note: i saw some used HUAWEI BTS equipment that was deemed bad and lies fallow somewia hia in Abuja.Do you guys think it cld be salvaged and used for training? (i luv to train pple,hlps me know more)
watyu guys think
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by deevuu(m): 5:16pm On Aug 25, 2009
Hmmn, just pondered on Bros Ajanlekok's reply

A fibre ring makes ROI sense "ring" being the operative word there
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by honmusa(m): 11:47am On Aug 27, 2009
@isu ata,i work in an ISP and i will really like to play along telecom too. pls can i get some of those material about telecoms in ur possession, my email is honmusa4real@gmail.com.thanx
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 6:24pm On Aug 27, 2009
[img]http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2946/gsmlayout.png[/url][/img]

Thats a generic layout of GSM architecture
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Inglewood: 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2009
@Isu ata ; honmusa

It's difficult to read telecoms materials in abstract and expect a full comprehension of the internal workings of the network switching sub system (NSS). Rather than read equipment intallation materials I'll advise you look up engineering documents on gsm technology and if possible hooking up with someone who has hands-on experience to guide you from a practical perspective.

For telecoms newbies; unfortunately, at present the best way to gain relevant telecoms experience is to work with a vendor/operator or their sub-contractors.
I had a funny experience when I went for a huawei interview some years back and I was asked to define the SS7 protocol shocked, needless to say, I was speechless even though I had read a lot of installation manuals I got off the internet.

Cheers
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Isuata: 1:38pm On Sep 03, 2009
@inglewood
i know and dats why iam gettin as much as i can and even goin for training soon.

@sali
i visted Digitl Bridge and the fees wer WOW! for only days on tutorials, iam tryn anoda training school dats reputed to be good-CORNERSTONE
@Ajanlekoko n Sali n Ingelwood

Now my question
its on INTERCONNECT
Now the MSC's of each operator must connect someow, so wu owns the interconnect infrastructure in NIgeria, wots the structure like?

Also, is the myth true about, all the mobile ntwk operators riding on NITEL's Infrastructure.Ow true is dat and to wot degree? cos wen i see all the rf sites and switching centers i get confused as to wia Nitel infrastructure com into play. Thx guys
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Inglewood: 2:09pm On Sep 03, 2009
Well, NITEL is the mediator between all the operators.
They have this PTO building at their Saka Tinubu office where all the operators had to interconnect via optic fibre or twisted pair as the case maybe and interconnects outside Lagos are usually done at the local NITEL premises.
However, most of the big operators, particularly the gsm guys have established their own fibre connectivity between some of their respective switches.
NCC licensed some interconnect operators back then but I'm not sure how those guys are faring.

As regards the myth, it used to be the case but since NITEL has long ceased to be reliable, most of the operators have had to build their own transmission backhaul infrastructure or lease such from third party organisations like 21st century, suburban etc
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Isuata: 5:51pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Sali
pls send me yur address in my e-mail
its: sulebramms@yahoo.co.uk
am in Abuja now but one of dis days i wld show up in Lagos(in 2 wiks i think)
Thx @ingel
more Q to come
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ama27(f): 3:11pm On Sep 11, 2009
hello all, does anyone know how much mtn pay business analysts with 5 years experience. thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by soulamanne(m): 5:48pm On Sep 12, 2009
good thread esp 4 sum1 dreamin a career in ict/telco.i had a stint with a fibre optics coy which was an eyeopener for me.i ve a bcs in eng.phy,a cfot(cert fibre optics tech)and enroute my ccna.i think i will b good to go with these esp withrelevance exp and exposure.what do u think my ogas in d house
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by mbulela: 5:43am On Sep 14, 2009
ama27:

hello all, does anyone know how much mtn pay business analysts with 5 years experience. thanks

that is a very broad and vague question.
it depends on the position MTN is offering .
Be a bit more specific in terms of the position and job description.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:43am On Sep 14, 2009
Hey guys,
Sorry I have been quiet of late, to an extent. Work pressure post vacation is quite tasking!

Isu ata:

@Ajanlekoko n Sali n Ingelwood

Now my question
its on INTERCONNECT
Now the MSC's of each operator must connect someow, so wu owns the interconnect infrastructure in NIgeria, wots the structure like?

Also, is the myth true about, all the mobile ntwk operators riding on NITEL's Infrastructure.Ow true is dat and to wot degree? cos wen i see all the rf sites and switching centers i get confused as to wia Nitel infrastructure com into play. Thx guys

Good question. In the old days, nobody had backhaul (transmission infrastructure) but NITEL, so everyone basically connected to NITEL. But since that carrier has basically gone south, all the networks started building their own trunking infrastructure, starting with microwave, and now with Fiber. MTN, Zain, and Glo, all have national fiber networks for backhaul. Also, you have long distance carriers like Phase 3 networks, Gateway, Suburban, and some other fringe players, who provide site backhaul and long distance traffic haul via a variety of media, from fiber to VSAT and/or microwave.

In terms of interconnect, operators nowadays connect peer-to-peer with each other. We have a few exchanges coming up, like ICL, Medallion, and Project Xchange, but in terms of infrastructure, these guys are not yet able to handle the interop and bandwidth requirements for everybody, but they still provide the PTOs (CDMA chaps and disparate fixed line service providers) with connections into the bigger operators. Nobody interconnects through NITEL these days.

However, for Internet access, the SAT3 is still controlled by NITEL, which is part of why it is usually more down than up. Many operators rely on SAT3 for Internet provision, not only the traditional players, but even the new ISPs like IPNX and Swift. However, this might change next year with all these cables landing all over the place, like Main One, Glo One, and all the other 'ones'.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lekside44(m): 12:49pm On Sep 14, 2009
AjanleKoko:

Good question. In the old days, nobody had backhaul (transmission infrastructure) but NITEL, so everyone basically connected to NITEL. But since that carrier has basically gone south, all the networks started building their own trunking infrastructure, starting with microwave, and now with Fiber. MTN, Zain, and Glo, all have national fiber networks for backhaul. Also, you have long distance carriers like Phase 3 networks, Gateway, Suburban, and some other fringe players, who provide site backhaul and long distance traffic haul via a variety of media, from fiber to VSAT and/or microwave.

pls explain more on long distance carriers like Phase 3 networks, Gateway, Suburban, and some other fringe players,
AjanleKoko:

However, for Internet access, the SAT3 is still controlled by NITEL, which is part of why it is usually more down than up. Many operators rely on SAT3 for Internet provision, not only the traditional players, but even the new ISPs like IPNX and Swift. However, this might change next year with all these cables landing all over the place, like Main One, Glo One, and all the other 'ones'.

pls i will like to know more about the alternative carriers available in nig and their operators.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 1:28pm On Sep 14, 2009
Hello House. Hope the weekend was great.
I came up with an idea yesterday. Its something those of us that grew up in the hoods of Oshodi &

were prepared to smash JAMB once & for all had to do at some point in our lives.
I'm free 2 saturdays in a month & I'd like to offer to teach what I know about Wireless Networking - at no cost. I'll come along with my stock of ebooks that I've pasted about in the forum. We'll need someone to hook us up with any school in a location that'd be central to all of us. Preferably a government-owned primary or secondary institution, no matter how 'local', in his area where we could meet to learn and share ideas. I'll bear my transport fare. I don't have any equipment so we're all going to have to be very imaginative in our teaching approach. Please if any one's interested lets rally together and indicate interest. I'm going to try to be as simplistic as possible breaking down and explaining concepts with as little mathematics as possible so the starters with a non science background can follow. If anyone else is willing to jump in to teach also I'd appreciate.

To get the ball rolling, I've got the two supplementary chapters for the CWNA study guide covering 802.11n and PoE topics in the exam. If you'r taking it please kindly send me a blank email with "CWNA PWO-104 REQUEST" as the subject or if you want the full Sybex PWO-100 then the subject should be "CWNA STUDY GUIDE". Its 14 chapters in pdf format + 2 supplementaries = 16, so plenty attachments. Zero cost.

Below is break down of the topics I intend teaching as a precursor to the CWNA PWO-104 outline. find attached.

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 2:06pm On Sep 14, 2009
lekside44:

pls explain more on long distance carriers like Phase 3 networks, Gateway, Suburban, and some other fringe players,
pls i will like to know more about the alternative carriers available in nig and their operators.

Okay, man.

Phase 3, Gateway Communications, and Surburban Communications, are all long distance carriers in Nigeria. Basically they all provide transmission infrastructure for service providers. If you are a GSM or CDMA operator, you have to provide connectivity (backhaul we call it in telecom) between your BSS infrastructure and your switching environment, which are obviously geographically separated.
What we refer to as the 'access network' is the cellular network, and also the transmission infrastructure required to carry traffic from the cells to the core network (which is the switching, billing, and service layer environment).

Phase 3 is a relatively new firm compared to the others, that relies on using PHCN power transmission infrastructure to carry transmission traffic for telecoms. You know those interstate powerlines? They have comms cables (Copper or Fiber) as part of their setup. Phase 3 also does some microwave and VSAT connectivity.

Gateway Communications is a strictly wireless carrier, as they use mostly satellite connectivity (VSAT). They have been around for a while, and used to be known as GS Telecom or Spar Aerospace, depending on who you're talking to.

Suburban is mostly a microwave and fiber backbone provider. They also provide Internet services via their SAT3 link that terminates via Benin republic. They are also in the service provider business these days, as they rolled out an 802-16-compatible network in Abuja some years back. Kind of a forerunner for the likes of iPNX and Cobranet, but I don't think their effort was too successful.

All of these guys provide trunking services and/or last-mile services for not only telcos, but even enterprise deployments by corporates, e.g. banks and so on.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ama27(f): 10:28pm On Sep 14, 2009
@mbulela

Thanks for your response please see the job advert below

[b]
Job Title
Business Analyst (Customer Intelligence)
Department:
Customer Relations
Job Description:
Business Analysis
Identify business needs / project opportunities; and / or audit existing policies, procedures, practices and technology
Develop and document / enhance business processes
Continually find ways to streamline PPP’s and align them to business strategy/ international best practice
Develop report specifications to obtain data as required from various data sources
Identify issues and generate insights for strategic decision making
Coordinate and prepare data/ schedules as required to support business plans/ objectives
Develop, coordinate, manage and conduct research studies
Generate periodic data forecasts as required (e.g. customer data, competitive info , call volumes, etc)
Generate periodic reports to assist management decisions
Process consultation
Project Management/ Project Involvement
Assist with planning/management of projects/ initiatives in line with recommended models
Assist in the facilitation and coordination of various initiatives
Assist with project integration management across assigned departments/ within business area

Job Conditions: Normal MTNN working conditions. Minimum qualification is 2.2 or equivalent
Reporting To: Business Planning Manager - Customer Intelligence
Required Skills:
4 years work experience of which 2 years in formal business analysis or consulting
Experience in project administration/coordination preferably in applicable business area

Employment Status :
Permanent
Qualification:
First degree in a related discipline [/b]
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:22am On Sep 15, 2009
salihu_ali:

I came up with an idea yesterday. Its something those of us that grew up in the hoods of Oshodi &

were prepared to smash JAMB once & for all had to do at some point in our lives.
I'm free 2 saturdays in a month & I'd like to offer to teach what I know about Wireless Networking - at no cost. I'll come along with my stock of ebooks that I've pasted about in the forum. We'll need someone to hook us up with any school in a location that'd be central to all of us. Preferably a government-owned primary or secondary institution, no matter how 'local', in his area where we could meet to learn and share ideas. I'll bear my transport fare. I don't have any equipment so we're all going to have to be very imaginative in our teaching approach. Please if any one's interested lets rally together and indicate interest. I'm going to try to be as simplistic as possible breaking down and explaining concepts with as little mathematics as possible so the starters with a non science background can follow. If anyone else is willing to jump in to teach also I'd appreciate.

To get the ball rolling, I've got the two supplementary chapters for the CWNA study guide covering 802.11n and PoE topics in the exam. If you'r taking it please kindly send me a blank email with "CWNA PWO-104 REQUEST" as the subject or if you want the full Sybex PWO-100 then the subject should be "CWNA STUDY GUIDE". Its 14 chapters in pdf format + 2 supplementaries = 16, so plenty attachments. Zero cost.

Below is break down of the topics I intend teaching as a precursor to the CWNA PWO-104 outline. find attached.

Good one, salilu. Guys, you really should get behind this. Someone is offering to share knoweldge for free.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dapee(m): 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2009
salihu_ali:

Good work Salihu_Ali unfortunately for me i am not in Lagos i would have been your first candidate.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Isuata: 3:44pm On Sep 15, 2009
@ Ajanlekok, Ingle, Sali
Well abuja pple too shld not be left out  2

Telecoms Professionals in Abuja lets do this too, lets teach one anoda and increase our knowledge togeda-it helps(i can tell-cos i use to and stil is an IT Instructor).

Garki Primary School is dia for use if and wen we are redy, all i nid is just 5 pple and we can start dis next week.

@ Telecoms pros
lets make this thread more professional by teaching ourselves pple-summin like the free-to-air thread,so many pple have benefited(me inclusive,i just installed and configured my fta 1.8m dish on Sunday) from there thread and even organizations refer to that thread for lerning and oda stuffz too.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by mbulela: 4:50pm On Sep 16, 2009
ama27:

@mbulela

Thanks for your response please see the job advert below

[b]
Job Title
Business Analyst (Customer Intelligence)
Department:
Customer Relations
Job Description:
Business Analysis
Identify business needs / project opportunities; and / or audit existing policies, procedures, practices and technology
Develop and document / enhance business processes
Continually find ways to streamline PPP’s and align them to business strategy/ international best practice
Develop report specifications to obtain data as required from various data sources
Identify issues and generate insights for strategic decision making
Coordinate and prepare data/ schedules as required to support business plans/ objectives
Develop, coordinate, manage and conduct research studies
Generate periodic data forecasts as required (e.g. customer data, competitive info , call volumes, etc)
Generate periodic reports to assist management decisions
Process consultation
Project Management/ Project Involvement
Assist with planning/management of projects/ initiatives in line with recommended models
Assist in the facilitation and coordination of various initiatives
Assist with project integration management across assigned departments/ within business area

Job Conditions: Normal MTNN working conditions. Minimum qualification is 2.2 or equivalent
Reporting To: Business Planning Manager - Customer Intelligence
Required Skills:
4 years work experience of which 2 years in formal business analysis or consulting
Experience in project administration/coordination preferably in applicable business area

Employment Status :
Permanent
Qualification:
First degree in a related discipline [/b]

Sorry for the late response.
according to my research, this is a level 2 specialist position (MTN terminology).
It is obviously a lagos based position and you are looking at around 180k after tax monthly.
This is the basic pay and does not include the usuals.
What will be in your letter if you are successful, will be way above this as an annual gross but this is the what you would likely see in your account at the end of the month. some of the benefits that show up in the annual gross are not physical cash (stuff like medical and phone bills).
does this answer your question?
get back if you have more questions.

cheers,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 5:38pm On Sep 16, 2009
Isu ata:

@ Telecoms pros
lets make this thread more professional by teaching ourselves pple-summin like the free-to-air thread,so many pple have benefited(me inclusive,i just installed and configured my fta 1.8m dish on Sunday) from there thread and even organizations refer to that thread for lerning and oda stuffz too.

Hmm, if you're referring to technical stuff, this board might not be suitable for that. This is the Careers section.
We might want to set up a telecoms thread in the Technology section.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ama27(f): 9:51pm On Sep 16, 2009
@mbulela
Thanks for getting back to me your response has helped. I am currently in a contract for the next couple of months in the UK and myy daily rate is over £400 as a Business Analyst, but i was considering chasing this oppourtunity at MTN instead as i want to move back to Nigeria before April next year so i thot maybe i should grab this oppourtunity now. But now that youve told me i think its best i finish my UK contract then come and start to look for a job as if i leave this contract for that salary it would be financial suicide.

I think its best i finish the contract first then even if i have to spend months looking for a job in Nigeria at least i'll have some savings to live on or wat do u think? ay 180k (cash), my 3 months salary would be just able to pay my daughters school fees. Buying a car is even impossible etc etc

I was told that about 6 million is a good salary in Nigeria but if im right the 6million is not totally cash?

Please do u have a pointers for me about job searches etc.

A brief background , am a business analyst with 5 years experience i have worked on SAP, CRM,PDA, Blackberry depolyments and have also project managed smaller change projects . i have also got a post grad degree. im well versed in all mapping languauges, req gathering, UAT etc

Thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by mbulela: 3:49am On Sep 17, 2009
ama27:

@mbulela
Thanks for getting back to me your response has helped. I am currently in a contract for the next couple of months in the UK and myy daily rate is over £400 as a Business Analyst, but i was considering chasing this oppourtunity at MTN instead as i want to move back to Nigeria before April next year so i thot maybe i should grab this oppourtunity now. But now that youve told me i think its best i finish my UK contract then come and start to look for a job as if i leave this contract for that salary it would be financial suicide.

I think its best i finish the contract first then even if i have to spend months looking for a job in Nigeria at least i'll have some savings to live on or wat do u think? ay 180k (cash), my 3 months salary would be just able to pay my daughters school fees. Buying a car is even impossible etc etc

I was told that about 6 million is a good salary in Nigeria but if im right the 6million is not totally cash?

Please do u have a pointers for me about job searches etc.

A brief background , am a business analyst with 5 years experience i have worked on SAP, CRM,PDA, Blackberry depolyments and have also project managed smaller change projects . i have also got a post grad degree. im well versed in all mapping languauges, req gathering, UAT etc

Thanks

i will reply your post in bits wink
yes, if you take that offer, your letter will state around 6m but 20% of it is not in cash.
stuff like your phone bill, medical will not be monitised.
MTN has one of the best medical insurance for its staff, so that is a large chunk of the 6m.
your resume looks very impressive but the fact is that MTN is rigid about pay structure (it was not 4 or 5 years ago).
the maximum you can get out of that job level and description you posted earlier is 200k after tax.
higher than that is the pay bracket of the reporting boss for that position (there obviously is a gap but not as huge as you would expect).
i will advise you start lokking for a job NOW.
With your resume, you should be able to have at least two interviews lined up before you come back in 3 months.
why wait till you return before you start passing CVs around?
on another note, go for the MTN job, if you are successful tell them you can only resume in 3 months (the process could take a while and if they are very impressed the earlier part of the interview can be done by phone).
if you really stand out in the selection process, they can wait for you.then while there you start plotting for a bigger pie.
on searches for a bigger pie, i will have to get back to my sources and come back to you.

cheers,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:14am On Sep 17, 2009
@ama27,
Have you gotten an offer from MTN already? Methinks some of the conclusions are pretty hasty, considering it appears you're discussing an advert, not that you've been made an offer.
Money asides, it might be an opportunity for you to get a feel of the worth of your qualifications in the Nigerian IT market. MTN is as IT-centric as they come, as far as Nigeria is concerned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (32) (Reply)

Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese / The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.