Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,318 members, 7,780,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:04 PM

Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? (968 Views)

I'm Ready To Get Married But My Father Wants Me To Build First / I Found My Father After 24 Years, But... / My Father's Advice To Me When I Was Searching For A Wife... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by dlivefeeds: 9:47pm On Jan 17, 2016
I am 29, and have always had a very difficult relationship with my father, who I suspect has narcissistic personality disorder.

http://www.thelivefeeds.com/cut-father-life/
He is very controlling, and often contradictory and irrational in his actions and demands. I usually try to accommodate it, but in the past few years it has been getting worse; I dread each interaction with him. I am getting married in four months, and my father has declared he will not attend the wedding if my mother’s relatives are present. My mum left him, and he has decided to project his anger on to her family. He demands I uninvite them and does not understand why I am upset. Of course I will do no such thing, but wonder if I should use this as an excuse to cut him out of my life?
Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by tpiar: 9:50pm On Jan 17, 2016
have a small wedding with less than ten attendees.

@ 29 you should be able to make decisions without involving the web.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by chakula: 9:58pm On Jan 17, 2016
Who will be the head then? After he did all his best by feeding you, paying for other bills in order to rise you as a decent person you are know thinking negatively.
Forgive him and, you should move closer to him find away of disscussion, he will oneday understand you. Remember you don't have the right of changing him nor you can claim somebody to be on his standard.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by sherrylo: 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2016
OP cut him out and take who as your father?
Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by Miami11: 11:38pm On Jan 17, 2016
He is mean, why would he demand you cut out your mums relatives your own bloodline for his selfish reasons,

Promise him to compromise and respect your wedding and your choice of guests otherwise you will cut him out, at 29 you need respect to from everyone including your dad

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by titosantana(m): 12:41pm On Jan 18, 2016
I don't think that's enough reason to cut him out of your life. If I were you, I would settle the beef between the two families.

1 Like

Re: Should I Cut My Father Out Of My Life? by IndianaJay: 10:10am On Jan 19, 2016
Just because he's your father does not give him a right to be mean to you...

I'm sorry but he sounds like a bitter old man.

If he won't attend the wedding, let him stay home on his own, he's an old man now....he should realize he needs his family now more than ever.

My father was like that too, I stayed away from him for a long time till he came looking for me...

Sometimes parents need to realize they have lived their own lives and allow their children live theirs and flourish.

However don't cut him off but just leave him in his little corner, angry and bitter.......later when he realizes he has chased away everyone who cared for him, no one will tell him before he changes and comes looking for his loved ones...

All the best @Op and congrats on the wedding!

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Who Is A Man? / Help Detained Mothers At Sacred Heart Hospital Lantoro. / See How Pride Destroyed Her Marriage, A Must Read.......

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.