Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,823 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:21 PM

Did I Do The Right Thing? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Did I Do The Right Thing? (1579 Views)

Did I Act Too Desperate?? / Help!!..did I Marry The Wrong Lady? / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did I Do The Right Thing? by decode55(m): 6:02am On Jan 19, 2016
I reside in Ph City.

So, yesterday, I went to Board of Internal Revenue, RIRS located at williems jumbo street (around Town area) to get my license as the previous one got missing along with my wallet.

After queuing up for close to 5hrs, my turn finally came, I did mine & left. I then took a cab & stopped at Mile1 park, picked up some novels & proceeded to board a bus to rumuomasi.

I glanced at my wrist watch, The time was around 4:49pm.

Those familiar with Ph City know how rough mile1 park is towards evening, there's always a palpable urgency as everyone wants to go home asap.

On crossing over to the other side, I spotted this little girl (not more than 10yrs of age) with a big schoolbag on her back & a nylon bag in her hand.

She stood out of the crowd 'cos of two things
1) In the midst of everybody moving fast, she stood at a place
2) She was all alone

On paying close attention, I could notice she had this worried look etched on her face.

At that point, One of these razz looking conductors walked up to her & tried pulling her to enter his bus. She withdrew her hand firmly & took two steps back.

I knew something was wrong.

I was -at this point- left with 2 decisions; look the other way, sit your ass down in your bus & go home

OR

Come down & find out what's wrong.

I chose to go with the latter.

I walked up to her at the same time another conductor was trying to persuade her to enter his bus. I overheard her telling this other conductor that she wants to stop at rumuola.

**Ah ah! This small girl? All by herself at Mile1 park going to rumola alone?

I told him to leave her that I'll drop her home. He gave me a stern look & pushed me away.

Me, trying to avoid trouble, jejely strolled back to my bus & sat down. At least I've tried.

While still waiting for the bus to get filled up, I saw the little girl again, with the another conductor walking up & down.

I came down again, walked up to both of them, asked her where she's going, she looked up at me & hesitantly said "Rumola", I said "okay, I'm going there too, let's go together" with a smile on my face.

She obliged.

The conductor, after looking at me, let her go.

She sat beside me & the bus zoomed off.

I now asked her what she's doing here all by herself.

Apparently, she was meant to take a bus from Leventis Bus stop to Mile 1 park, meet her mum at their shop located in the market, then they would go home together, they stay at rumuigbo.

On getting to the market, her mum had left & only their sales boy was there. She now decided to go home all by herself.

Okay.

"Do you have your daddy's number?"

"No"

What of your mummy's own?"

"She shook her head"

I shook my head.

______________========================___________________

Long story short, I stopped at rumuola with her, crossed over, put her in a car going to rumuigbo & went my way.

Over dinner, I narrated this story to my family, while my siblings thought I did the right thing, my uncle thinks otherwise.

He said & I quote, "next time, look the other way. It might be a trap"

=================================================

Did I do the right thing?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by Mjshexy(f): 6:12am On Jan 19, 2016
Sir God bless u for saving a soul, those touts would have done something crazy to that poor kid, ur dad really disappointed. Thanks again sad
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by whirlwind7(m): 6:15am On Jan 19, 2016
You did the right thing.
The issue is that the pervasive insecurity everywhere in the country has made people's instinct for self preservation override their humanitarian side.
Which is the reason why your father rebuked you, that you could have walked into a trap.
In many parts of Lagos, people won't even pause to tell you what time it is, or point you in the right direction when you seem lost.

Just be smart and quick at assessing each situation and make rational decisions. Treat each situation according to it's merits. Times are bad.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by decode55(m): 6:25am On Jan 19, 2016
Mjshexy:
Sir God bless u for saving a soul, those touts would have done something crazy to that poor kid, ur uncle really disappointed. Thanks again sad

Don't you think he has a reason for saying that?
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by decode55(m): 6:27am On Jan 19, 2016
whirlwind7:
You did the right thing.
The issue is that the pervasive insecurity everywhere in the country has made people's instinct for self preservation override their humanitarian side.
Which is the reason why your father rebuked you, that you could have walked into a trap.
In many parts of Lagos, people won't even pause to tell you what time it is, or point you in the right direction when you seem lost.

Just be smart and quick at assessing each situation and make rational decisions. Treat each situation according to it's merits. Times are bad.

Thanks man. I shall keep your words in mind
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by Mjshexy(f): 6:38am On Jan 19, 2016
decode55:

Don't you think he has a reason for saying that?
He may but common he shouldn't assume his previous bad experience should stop everyone from helping out. The little girl was looking worried & stranded, those touts could have kidnapped, raped or even used her for money rituals. The worry on her face & the way the conductors were dragging her hand should tell anyone with conscience that this girl needs help.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 19, 2016
You did the right thing.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by Miami11: 7:19am On Jan 19, 2016
Absolutely, a few more like you and the country will be a better place. You trusted your instincts and did the right thing
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by bolseas(f): 7:58am On Jan 19, 2016
I don't know what to call the mother. She knows her daughter will go and meet her at the market and she did not bother to wait for her even if it is for 3 more hours?

I read the story of a 9 year old girl who was raped to death in the same Rumusomething...

Op, you did the right thing. At least you studied the situation of things before you helped her.

May God protect our children.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by Vikky014(f): 8:08am On Jan 19, 2016
op you did the right thing The mother of that kid is very careless
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by decode55(m): 8:51am On Jan 19, 2016
Vikky014:
op you did the right thing
The mother of that kid is very careless

Yeah. I was thinking the same thing.

Lalasticlala.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by bjcole(m): 9:04am On Jan 19, 2016
My Brother, you did absolutely the right thing, what is important is to access the situation and make a quick decision. We are created to help ourselves to make this place beautiful, so anything you do to put smile on someone else's face cannot be too much. Your natural instinct coupled with your good heart will always help you to make informed and right decision in such manners.
Well done sir.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by ayogabriel(m): 9:26am On Jan 19, 2016
Well, I will not say you did the right thing or the wrong thing, everybody here is saying you did the right thing, because the story had a "happily ever after" am sure if it didn't, people will probably say other wise. I like your courage, but like your family said, it could have been a trap, I live in ph here also, and I know how crowded that mile 1 is, how they steal, rob people, heaven knows what more, please next time be absolutely careful and watchful, before intervening, like they said it maybe a trap, people look for innocent people like you, to take advantage. May God guide us all.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by RiloKiley: 9:37am On Jan 19, 2016
What impressed me was that u got rebuffed the first time but didn't give up. You went out again to help the little girl. U have a good heart.

I say you did well.
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by imsuboi(m): 11:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by naijathings(m): 1:35am On Mar 25, 2016
You did a very good thing, no doubt. According to your narration, you did the best you could to help the girl get to the other side of town. Applause Applause.

Now, Pay attention.

The good thing is not always the right thing to do.

We live in a very volatile environment and your act of kindness would have easily earned you some tyres, some fuel and a lighter..... some beating might come before all this.
Someone who has been watching the girl from a distance just the same way u were watching her might wonder why you take it upon yourself to talk to the girl. The person might think you are trying to take advantage of the girl and the person might do the RIGHT THING by raising alarm against u, then jungle justice comes into play.

You did a very good thing. Every one here is giving you the medal of honour but you would be shocked to find out who
and who will provide the tyres, fuel and lighter if things had gone wrong while you were trying to help, same Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Did I Do The Right Thing? by jiinxed: 5:58am On Jan 09, 2018
You did the right thing bro

(1) (Reply)

A Must Read Four Couples Especially Women. / Problems With Father And Son relationship / Pregnant For Her Sister's Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.