Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,507 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? (11450 Views)

The 6 Things Graduates Of Nigerian Public Universities Can Never Forget / Nairaland Jamb Tutorial Centre {english Language Thread} / The State Of The English Language In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Uchek(m): 2:07am On Jun 24, 2009
Why is the English Language skills of Nigerian graduates appalling? Is the fault of teachers, parents, government or students? Is it the lack of sufficient Internet time to prepare their resumes?

We received hundreds of application for job positions in our start-up company within 24 hours of publicizing them. Without even bothering to look at the suitability of the applicants for the positions, 90% of the CVs( yes 90% so far) deserve to be disqualified because of poor English Language skills:
[list]
[li]bad grammar.[/li]
[li]Spelling mistakes.[/li]
[li]Beginning sentences and proper nouns with small letters.[/li]
[li]Not following application instructions.[/li]

[/list]
If our microscopic experience is anything to go by then, the comments that the quality of Nigerian graduates are nothing to write about may be sadly true.

Uche k. Oparah

1 Like

Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jun 24, 2009
because most Nigerians will not read anything beyond academic texts. i cannot begin to count the number o people who look at me in amazement when they see me reading big novels. some go as far as to say - you never read enough book for school ?

good english goes beyind the classroom. its like a muscle you have to keep flexing, and you do that by reading smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by habumaks(m): 12:56pm On Jun 24, 2009
Did you two notice spelling/grammatical errors in your posts? angry angry
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jun 24, 2009
Very true. . . . . . . . no thanks to the Nigerian educational system and the people who wrecked it.
However, its clear that most of these people you are referring to are far better than half of the citizens of the an english country where you are blabbing from.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by JustGood(m): 1:00pm On Jun 24, 2009
Nigerians are no worse than the English themselves in that department.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Nezan(m): 1:05pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Poster: Notice that your post too has mistakes
Why is the(?) English ,,,,,,,,,
Is(?) the fault ,,,,,,,,,,
e.t.c.

In any case, I think it is the fault of Govt., Teachers, Parents and the students.
Govt.- Unsuitable learning environment
Teachers- Some unqualified, some dont have enough time with students
Parents- Pressing teachers/exam bodies to buy marks for they wards
Students- Dont have much time with they books,,,,,
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Kx: 1:06pm On Jun 24, 2009
Uchek:

We received hundreds of application for job positions in our start-up company within 24 hours of publicizing them. Without even bothering to look at the suitability of the applicants for the positions, 90% of the CVs( yes 90% so far) deserve to be disqualified because of poor English

Sadly,nobody holy pass.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by kaypinchi(m): 1:08pm On Jun 24, 2009
habumaks:

Did you two notice spelling/grammatical errors in your posts?  angry angry

cheesy cheesy grin

@poster

I guess the main cause is the lack of personal discipline. Most people are not just bothered. I thought I was the only one bothered by this issue.
Others are:
constant use of slangs and short words esp. on the internet;
poor educational background;
low level of exposure;

I could go on and on
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by habumaks(m): 1:10pm On Jun 24, 2009
Very true. . . . . . . . no thanks to the Nigerian educational system and the people who wrecked it.
However, its clear that most of these people you are referring to are far better than half of the citizens of the an english country where you are blabbing from. [quote][/quote]

Couldn't agree more.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by REALTRUTH1: 1:14pm On Jun 24, 2009
Uchek:

Why is the English Language skills of Nigerian graduates appalling? Is it the fault of teachers, parents, government or students? Is it the lack of sufficient Internet[b](the I should not be capitalised)[/b] time to prepare their resumes?

We received hundreds of application for job positions in our start-up company within 24 hours of publicizing them. Without even bothering to look at the suitability of the applicants for the positions, 90% of the CVs( yes 90% so far) deserve[b]d[/b] to be disqualified because of poor English Language skills:
[list]
[li]bad[b](B)should be capitalised[/b] grammar.[/li]

[/list]
If our microscopic experience is anything to go by[b], then[b];[/b] the comments that "the quality of Nigerian graduates are nothing to write about may be sadly true."[/b]

Uche k. Oparah

Going through the mistakes I noted in your post,you are just one of those Nigerian graduates,,,,Its always easier to criticise than act! Iam waiting for you to come prove yourself right here.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Kx: 1:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
Uchek:

We received -past tense
deserve shocked shocked shocked  instead of deserved to be disqualified

Now I know why job applications are rejected. angry angry angry
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by SamMilla1(m): 1:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
The same reason why a British Man who graduated in Ogun State can never speak perfect Yoruba.
What was born inside you can never be the same with what you were studied
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by kenyfalusi: 1:16pm On Jun 24, 2009
Like I told a friend, when you begin to experience scarcity of dictions in your spoken English, then you are too far from good books. Maybe I should say that very few Nigerian youths grew up with a good reading culture. In any case, to speak and write good English, you need to read good English.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by MUZBO(m): 1:22pm On Jun 24, 2009
If your thread is infering in any way that it's the university system that is bad then I beg to disagree. There's no telling how many people out here who never attended university but speak and write english eloquently. The time to develop good skills with language is the primary and secondary school levels, thats when you pick interest in stuff like novels abi @ oyb I lie? In university you just build on what you have and master it. Just like the National soccer team is not a place to start learning how to trap the ball. Personal zeal to improve also play a large role in this too and it goes a long way.
Maybe you guys should start considering non graduates, then I'll introduce you to my 5 year old nephew. Seriously he can almost spell encyclopedia!
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by itumama: 1:27pm On Jun 24, 2009
Its not the graduate's fault.Its the educational system we practice in nigeria.And sometimes the fault comes from the parent who dont care to speak english to their wards when they are stil young wen their brain can pick up tins very fast.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by asha80(m): 1:29pm On Jun 24, 2009
MUZBO:

If your thread is infering in any way that it's the university system that is bad then I beg to disagree. There's no telling how many people out here who never attended university but speak and write english eloquently. The time to develop good skills with language is the primary and secondary school levels, thats when you pick interest in stuff like novels abi @ oyb I lie? In university you just build on what you have and master it. Just like the National soccer team is not a place to start learning how to trap the ball. Personal zeal to improve also play a large role in this too and it goes a long way.
Maybe you guys should start considering non graduates, then I'll introduce you to my 5 year old nephew. Seriously he can almost spell encyclopedia!

Can he speak his local lingo cheesy
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by MUZBO(m): 1:32pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ asha 80, nice one. He can but his english is better. I get your point though.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by MUZBO(m): 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2009
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by Sauron1: 1:33pm On Jun 24, 2009
Uchek:

Why is the English Language skills of Nigerian graduates appalling? Is the fault of teachers, parents, government or students? Is it the lack of sufficient Internet time to prepare their resumes?

We received hundreds of application for job positions in our start-up company within 24 hours of publicizing them. Without even bothering to look at the suitability of the applicants for the positions, 90% of the CVs( yes 90% so far) deserve to be disqualified because of poor English Language skills:
[list]
[li]bad grammar.[/li]

[/list]
If our microscopic experience is anything to go by then, the comments that the quality of Nigerian graduates are nothing to write about may be sadly true.

Uche k. Oparah

ROFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by cvibe: 1:39pm On Jun 24, 2009
@ Poster,

You belong to the same category.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by tundewoods(m): 1:41pm On Jun 24, 2009
Uchek:

Why is the English Language skills of Nigerian graduates appalling? Is (it*) the fault of teachers, parents, government or students? Is it the lack of sufficient Internet time (What on earth does that mean !) to prepare their resumes?

We received hundreds of application for job positions in our start-up company (,) (A comma is obviously missing here)within 24 hours of publicizing them (Wrong use of a pronoun. Without even bothering to look at the suitability of the applicants for the positions, 90% of the CVs( yes 90% so far) deserve(d) to be disqualified because of (use)[/b]poor [b]E[/b]nglish [b]L[/b]anguage skills: (I believe the use of t he word [b]namely would not be a bad idea.)
[list]
[li]bad grammar.[/li]
[li]Not following application instructions.[/li] ( Is this sentence english language or pidgin ?

[/list]
If our microscopic experience is anything to go by[b](, the coma should be placed here not after then)[/b]then, the comments that the quality of Nigerian graduates are nothing to write about may be sadly true.

Uche k. Oparah * (Sadly you are a typical example.)

@ Poster, you have posted a question or better still a riddle that you will only be able to solve once you also learn to write and speak correct English Language.

LOL ! Your case seems like a pot calling a kettle black !
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by scottman(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2009
Abeg my brothers, I think we should first of all clear The Clog in our eye by trying to do more work on our grammar than trying to show oneself.
1love
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by kokoye(m): 1:47pm On Jun 24, 2009
Believe it or not, this applies to every country - no need to single out Naija so you can have a thread going.

Here in the states, it is easy to speak good American english (just like it is easy for most yorubas to speak yoruba easily abi?) but tell some graduate Americans to write down what they have just said in words - you'll be surprised and dissapointed!

There was this Lockeed Martin's employee who was in grad school with me. He was pissed and went to meet the professor when he somehow found out I got an 'A' in a course while he had a 'B'. He complained that I hardly participated in class discussions so there was no way I coulda gotten a better grade than him. The professor asked him to compare his project work with mine (in terms of layout and grammar).  I saw his written English and I could not believe it - terrible. But these are guys who are good in presentations and technicalities . . and they have ready-made proposals anyway.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by ban1(m): 1:51pm On Jun 24, 2009
99% of the posts above contains one or more grammatical blunders. Any Wole Soyinka in the house?
@ poster, the teachers are not motivated enough and the culture of "broken"
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by bandely(m): 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2009
tundewoods:

@ Poster, you have posted a question or better still a riddle that you will only be able to solve once you also learn to write and speak correct English Language.

LOL ! Your case seems like a pot calling a kettle black !

ROFLMAO grin

Nezan:

@ Poster: Notice that your post too has mistakes
Why is the(?) English ,,,,,,,,,
Is(?) the fault ,,,,,,,,,,
e.t.c.

Dont have much time with they books,,,,,
Hmmm! lipsrsealed
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by MUZBO(m): 2:28pm On Jun 24, 2009
@kokoye, I feel you. Some people talk the talk but cannot 'write the write'. lol.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by berildan(m): 2:34pm On Jun 24, 2009
@poster,shame no dey worry u!!!!!!!!!!!!u dey talk of another man language skill i no knw weather  u go sabi spell am well if u get one sef.na which person 4 dis house wey english language na him papa language?english wey no matter how u master am reach d owners go modify am any how/time wey dey want naim u d talk abi na d one wey b say if u get enuf influence 4 int'l sys/market place u go create ur own & dey go include am dictionary 4 u?mind ur sef oh!!!!!!!!!
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by chuckvyl(m): 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2009
@poster
Good English language skills is not the hallmark of a sound educational system.
You really need to change your mentality because that is how slaves think.
Indians are very bad at speaking/writing the so called English language yet, India today is the world's back office inspite of there poor English.
China has the fastest growing economy yet they don't speak English.
I live in London and i can categorically tell you that even the ENGLISH themselves do not know how to read and write properly but nobody will accuse of them of being less intelligent or endowed than those who can read and write properly.
Please understand that English is not our first language.
Nobody cares if you can speak and write English when you can't even afford the basic necessities of life like electricity,good roads and affordable primary health care.
You were sent to university not to learn how to speak/read/write English like the Queen but to acquire the skills needed to place Nigeria in the world map like technology,science,financial skills etc

I for once advocate that universities start teaching science with local languages or even pidgin so that communication can be opened up and knowledge can easily be transfered.
Others like India and China are doing that already.
Those candidates with poorly written CV could be dedicated,intelligent and hardworking candidates.
It is not a sign of inferiority when you can't speak the language of the Imperialists.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by tunnytox(m): 2:43pm On Jun 24, 2009
To be honest with you there are so many graduates who are not too good with English. The fact remains that most of our universities now are producing half baked graduates and this is not just a fault of the government alone. However, grammatical errors sometimes should not be a big deal, I have been living in England for three years and also spent about 2 years in Ireland and I can say boldly that they do not speak or write in perfect English! As a matter of fact some of them who are graduates cannot even spell properly, in this regard i believe our nigerian graduates should still be given some credits to say the least. However, we should avoid celebrating mediocrity, there are so many opportunities to improve.

Uchek:

[list]
[li]bad grammar.[/li]

[/list]

Uche k. Oparah

@ poster, recruitment and selection is a serious business, these applicants are actually making your job easier! those who do not comply with the application instructions should only have themselves to blame
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by youngies(m): 2:52pm On Jun 24, 2009
The last time someone started this English language debate, she couldn't spell 'appalling' . . . now this
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by proudly9ja(m): 2:59pm On Jun 24, 2009
To be honest, Im not really bothered if a student can speak/write impeccable English but since its our official language, I believe as pupils/students, we should make more effort to improve our competency in this language at least until pigin becomes our official language!

People who have mentioned India and China should remember that these two countries have their own local official languages. For us, its English so if someone who has gone through 6 yrs of primary, 6 years of secondary and another 4/5/6 years at tertiary levels cannot express himself well, then that signifies that there is a problem somewhere that needs to be fixed. Mainly, the problem is at the primary school level. Thats where the focus should be.
Re: Why Is The English Language Skill Of Nigerian Graduate So Appalling? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:13pm On Jun 24, 2009
oyb:

because most Nigerians will not read anything beyond academic texts. i cannot begin to count the number o people who look at me in amazement when they see me reading big novels. some go as far as to say - you never read enough book for school ?

good english goes beyind the classroom. its like a muscle you have to keep flexing, and you do that by reading smiley

@oyb,
Verily I say unto thee, thou saith truer words than most.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

JAMB To Release 2019 UTME Results From Monday / Niger Delta University Post Ume Out! / OAU: Lectures To Commence On 2nd And Not 9th November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.