Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,801 members, 7,806,227 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:14 PM

The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! (35051 Views)

Audi B5 420-R: The Build. / Audi S8 (AHC) 4,2L V8 32V Into Audi A4 B5 Quattro Sport. / Official Audi B5 RS4 "Outlaw" Sedans Around The World Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:20am On Jun 24, 2009
I guess a lot of members on here have already confirmed me as an Audi nut, and they're not far wrong!
Ever since the days of Group B rallying, when Audi, a previously little know make exploded onto the scene, and took the world of Motorsport by storm, I've been an avid fan.

The sound of  an inline 5 cylinder 2.2L turbo being driven through the forest stages was something to behold. Audi also brought glamour to Group B, in the form of French rally driver, Michelle Mouton. She would eventually go down in history, as one of the most prolific lady rally drivers of all time.

Of course, we're talking Quattro models - Audi were the first manufacturers to mass produce a 4WD car in 1980 - we're referring to passenger cars here, not jeeps. Audi was also the manufacturer that revolutionized 4WD, and proved it could work, and be competitive in Motorsport.

The original Audi Quattro was launched in the summer of 1980, and the first models appeared in showrooms, albeit initially in LHD.
Audi promised that all models would be available with quattro drive, and today that prophecy has been fullfilled - all models, bar the budget Audi A2 were available with 4WD.

Audi quattro models were split into 3 distinctive groups - standard, S and RS models. In this article, I'll be covering one of the RS models - one of my all time favourites, the Audi RS4 B5. This model, like it's predecessor, the Audi RS2 was only ever available as an Avant (estate). And like the legendary Audi RS2, it was developed from an existing S model. But, here the similarities ended.

The Audi RS2 was developed from the existing Audi S2 Avant, and breathed on by Porsche, raising power from the S2's 230hp to the RS2's 315. The RS2 was also visually different from the S2, the front and rear bumpers were different, and the rear licence plate was relocated to the bumper similar to Porsche's 911 at the time. The rearview mirrors, front indicators and foglamps were also Porsche 911 turbo items.

Stopping power was also provided by Porsche, in the shape of Brembo "Big Reds" front and rear. Metal work was unchanged from the original S2 Avant.

The B5 RS4 was developed from the S4 Avant, though this time, Porsche didn't play a part in the engine modifications. Audi had acquired Cosworth Technology (now called Mahle Powertrain) and Cosworth modified the S4's engine from the original 265hp to the RS4's 380. The suspension and brakes were also upgraded, to cope with the extra power and weight.

A big departure from the S4 Avant it was based on - every panel bar the roof and bonnet were different, front and rear fenders were broader, with bulging wheel arches to accommodate the RS4's 255/35x18 tyres, which were mounted on 8.5"x18" ET20 alloys.

The RS4 B5 responds well to power upgrades, and outputs of 800hp are not unknown, here in the UK, there is an S4 that's being built to RS4 spec and beyond, estimated power output is in excess of 1,000hp. I'm pleased to be part of the support crew that will be on hand when this car makes her debut later this year, but that's another story. Here's the basic spec of the RS4 B5.

ENGINE:

Engine: 2,671cc V6 30V twin-turbo, twin-intercooled.
Engine code: AZR / ASJ.
Induction: KKK-04 x 2 (watercooled)
Engine management: Bosch Motronic ME 7.1
Power: 380 hp @ 7,000 rpm.
Torque: 440 Nm (325 ft-lbs) @ 6,000 rpm.

TRANSMISSION:

6-speed manual.
Code: 01E.

WHEELS:

Cast aluminium.
Design: 9 spoke.
Size: 8.5"x18".
Offset: ET20.
Tyres: 255/35ZR18.

PERFORMANCE:

0 - 60 mph (0 - 100 km/h): 4.7 secs.
0 - 125 mph (0 - 200 km/h): 17 secs.
Max speed limited: 155 mph (250 km/h).
Max speed unlimited: 180 mph / (292 km/h).
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:24am On Jun 24, 2009
In terms of the interior spec / options of the B5 RS4, I don't need to go into that, the following pictures say it all!
With all the weight - it weighed in at 1,620 kilos, the B5 RS4 is able to keep up with all but the most extreme of supercars today. And, it'll do so in style and comfort too - fancy a Continental trip in a cramped, Porsche 911 turbo?
  cheesy
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 24, 2009
All comments are welcome - positive and negative!  wink

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:34am On Jun 24, 2009
More. . .

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 24, 2009
And more - how can a family estate car looks so aggressive?  cool

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:43am On Jun 24, 2009
cool

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:49am On Jun 24, 2009
Yee-haah! cheesy

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:53am On Jun 24, 2009
wink

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by JJYOU: 9:57am On Jun 24, 2009
siena, this one is audi abuse or flooding.
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Benasayer(m): 9:59am On Jun 24, 2009
ur acting like theres something wrong with the rs6!?
do people not use the rs v10s in the normal a6 saloon models? like one of ur other threads where u were talking about putting the rs4 motor in the a4,
ive seen a few pictures of a factory rs6 saloon,

loving the pictures, specialy the carbon fibre in the interior smiley

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:01am On Jun 24, 2009
smiley

Non-standard color - Inca Orange Pearl:

Standard B5 RS4 front brakes:

B5 RS4 engine:

Hmm,  lipsrsealed

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 24, 2009
Benasayer:

ur acting like theres something wrong with the rs6!?
do people not use the rs v10s in the normal a6 saloon models?

Please, say something constructive - if one prefers juicy mangoes, does it mean one hates oranges?
  wink
We're talking about preference - you can only choose one.

As for using the V10 in a regular A6 sedan, show me one that's been converted, other than a factory RS6 V10.

I prefer the V8, it's lighter, sounds better, has more character in terms of the V8 rumble, and of course it's size means it can be fitted to a wider array of vehicles.
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 24, 2009
JJYOU:

siena, this one is audi abuse or flooding.

My brother, it's a thread of interest - no different from pictures in the Travel section, some have reached 40 pages and more.
  wink

Back to the B5 RS4.  cool

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Benasayer(m): 10:21am On Jun 24, 2009
i was trying to be constructive sad
ive never driven any high performance audi, only an s6 which wasnt anything special, but i heard theres supposed to be something special about the  v10s,
so people have done a4s with v8 conversions (a4 b6?)? i thought it would be too long with the gear box on it to fit in without extending the front panels and wings?
i like both oranges and mangoes, but especially very fast ones smiley
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 24, 2009
wink

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 24, 2009
Benasayer:

i was trying to be constructive sad
ive never driven any high performance audi, only an s6 which wasnt anything special, but i heard theres supposed to be something special about the  v10s,
so people have done a4s with v8 conversions (a4 b6?)? i thought it would be too long with the gear box on it to fit in without extending the front panels and wings?
i like both oranges and mangoes, but especially very fast ones smiley

My apologies, Ben. I didn't mean to be harsh.
smiley

The V10's are undoubtedly great, but in tuning circles, the V8 is favoured. It's powerful, more power can be extracted with relative ease, and it fits most cars.

B6 A4 V8 conversion is a non-starter - it's like reinventing the wheel, seeing as Audi already have a B6 V8 model, in the shape of the B6 S4.
wink

As for oranges and mangoes, point taken. cool
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:35am On Jun 24, 2009
Moving swiftly on - more B5 RS4's. angry

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 24, 2009
Lovely!

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 24, 2009
cool

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 24, 2009
Keep out of my Audi! angry

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 24, 2009
Mwaaah! kiss

The RS4 in "Lotos" livery may not look pretty, but it's bloody fast. With a rebuilt engine, huge turbos (the bonnet has cut-outs to allow it to close!) and some other "vital ingredients" - the owner was understandably cagey with details, it produces 850 hp. cool

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 24, 2009
This is what happens when a carbon fibre hood blows open on the track at 300km/h - see the Imola Yellow RS4 with "FEED ME" licence plate in post #7, picture #3. That was at the Nurburgring, Germany. sad

It's since been fixed though, and is back in business, and winning trophies. cool grin

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jun 24, 2009
wink

Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by IBBBB: 10:15pm On Jun 24, 2009
Seina, please advise, my Wv 2004 passat is showing me Stop Check Coolant, what tp do please. cheers
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 25, 2009
IBBBB:

Seina, please advise, my Wv 2004 passat is showing me Stop Check Coolant, what tp do please. cheers

A bit more detail required - does it show this warning constantly, whether engine is cold or hot?
Is the coolant level correct, and does the cooling system have coolant of the correct ratio added? Running just plain water isn't a good idea.
What does the temperature show?

If the levels are fine, and the temperature gauge is within the normal range (between 70 and 96 degrees) then you could have a faulty level sender. It's not replaceable as a seperate item, it's built into the coolant resovoir, and will need to be replaced as a complete unit.

It would also be a good idea to get the car diagnosed via the OBDII port by a reputable garage. Not just checking for faults, but reading live data. It's possible the temperature gauge / dash cluster could be faulty, reading live data could confirm any abnormalities.
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by SeyiJay(m): 5:30pm On Mar 21, 2011
Been a while Siena. Not sure about the current thread for this awesome machine collection you have now. Pls give me the link. last time i followed, you were starting on a new transformation project last September or thereabout. This German creation is definitely a must-have. Fill me in, man!
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Mar 21, 2011
^^^ Hey bro, it's been a while. I'll dig out the link to my current project.
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by Nobody: 5:51pm On Mar 21, 2011
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by SeyiJay(m): 2:57pm On Mar 22, 2011
Thx bro! Will hook up and keep it locked on, Keep up da excellent work!
Re: The Official Audi B5 RS4 Avant Thread! by XerXesNG(m): 11:48pm On Jun 30, 2015
This was in 2009. I was looking up the B5 RS4 and stumbled on this thread.
Its 2015 and I'm seriously, seriously considering the B5 RS4.

(1) (Reply)

Are Nigerian Drivers Graduating From Double Parking To Triple Parking? / Saudi Style, Photos Shows Arab Men Driving Their Suvs On Just Two Wheels. / General Motors Will No Longer Produce These 6 Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.