Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,905 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:53 AM

How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story (40818 Views)

MURIC Calls For Arrest, Prosecution Of Oro Priests In Ikorodu / How Oro Festival Paralysed Activities In Ikorodu Town, Lagos / Movement Around Ikorodu Will Be Limited Tomorrow Due To Oro Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
udemzy101:

Nothing like that is practise where I come from, we have move on, so tell your people to do same.....
liellie for diz IBO land nsukka where a dey nw;den dey celebrate Xmas with masquerade
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by tottinova: 8:55pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oladipupo22:
I am writing this on a very sad note... sad angry angry angry

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
1. I misplaced my phone, a massive Tecno Phantom 5 cry cry
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!

You dey complain of phone, thank God you weren't used as human sacrifice.

E better make lassa fever kill me than mke oro pple hold me

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 21, 2016
Emmeritus:
liellie for diz IBO land nsukka where a dey nw;den dey celebrate Xmas with masquerade

Smh
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by horllamy(m): 9:05pm On Jan 21, 2016
Oladipupo22:
I am writing this on a very sad note... sad angry angry angry

I was in the village this past weekend to spend few days with my extended family and to my utmost surprise, I was informed that there is an existing "oro festival" going on, and that I must make it indoors by 4pm to say the least.

Coincidentally, I got to the village by 4:35pm all looking empty and deserted like a grave yard. Out of intuition, I decided to start looking ahead of me before I walk down any path.

Three paths away from my Father's House, I discovered the procession was just ahead of me, I ran for my dear life. Three things happened to me while I was running for my dear life:
1. I misplaced my phone, a massive Tecno Phantom 5 cry cry
2. I misplaced my wallet
3. I had to forgo my luggaes which they now have in their possession ( Luckily, I had ONLY new wears I've not even tested in it).

Now, here's my grouse with this evil, barbaric, satanic and extinct act: After loosing my phone which I had used to take beautiful pictures because of its picture quality and suave, my games are also gone, Is this ORO of a thing supposed to be continued in this time and age?

My money is also gone! I will so miss my phone because of its become my perfect companion
cry cry cry

PS: For the non-Yorubas who don't know what an oro festival is, it is basically a festival celebrated in Yoruba lands either after the death of an Oba or a special atonement is to be made in the land and it involves sacrificing Humans!

Eyah sorry na "ORO" won use that your phone be that . Thank God for your life.....for the money is just bcus you no dey "saara" .....
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by henrydadon(m): 9:11pm On Jan 21, 2016
9jacrip:

Your grammar doesn't show you've made any progress in life though, just saying.
so it my grammar u have problem with....U need help...I guess speaking good english is the only thing u have been able to achieve in life...brainless fool
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jan 21, 2016
henrydadon:
so it my grammar u have problem with....U need help...

You need help with your grammar.

Aren't you supposed to be modernized and well travelled? What is with the 'primitive' grammar?

You probably cannot even write in your language yet you are struggling with English. Why not embrace your ancestral culture, exude it and take pride in it and let the white man who gave you 'modernity' know you for it and respect you for it?

I give up.

8 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by henrydadon(m): 9:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
9jacrip:

You need help with your grammar.

Aren't you supposed to be modernized and well travelled? Whatis with the 'primitive' grammar?
may the lord give u the strength to be able to see pass my "grammar"
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 21, 2016
henrydadon:
may the lord give u the strength to be able to see pass my "grammar"

LOL, what rubbish lord?

Lord Voldemort?

3 Likes

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by henrydadon(m): 9:21pm On Jan 21, 2016
9jacrip:

LOL, what rubbish lord?
Lord Voldemort?
mumu Lord voldemort ko..Harry potter ni...better grow up

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Lovexme(m): 9:56pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yorubago:

They still do it in Ikorodu, Ikotun, Mushin, Ojuelegba and so many stwepid places in Lagos and it is indeed annoying

Erm, where in Ikotun have you seen or heard it happen?

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Godskidmidas(m): 9:57pm On Jan 21, 2016
9jacrip:
Oro, egungun, odun ifa, odun ogun, sango and the festival of all our deities will continue.

If it is barbaric and evil to you, relocate elsewhere, this is Yoruba land for Yoruba people and the culture and practices.

Your story says Oro of 4PM, apparently it wasn't the strict Oro, it must have been a town ritual which wouldn't have caused you any harm considering you are from the town and travelled down; so stop with the fuckery. Get your father or granny to go to the palace, your items will be returned. Nobody steals or keeps someone else's item during a procession, it is an eewo. So your items are retrievable.

Lastly, the name of village is?
obviously you are a Yoruba boy who is been defensive of it's tribe's festival even though you know it's an evil rite.
Just pray you don't fall a victim to this fetish act.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nowenuse: 10:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
I cant believe that these kind of useless cultures are still practiced in Nigeria in this modern day.

Any non yoruba whom his/her relative ever becomes a victim of this nonsense should do the needful and mobilize his own people in his village and kill any yoruba person on sight.
This useless Oro festival was what caused clashes between hausas & yorubas in Shagamu in the past which lead to reprisals and killings of yorubas in Kano.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by ogbanje1(f): 10:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
Backward, primitive, rustic barbarians.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 10:22pm On Jan 21, 2016
AjaniDWickedBoy:

The most foolish being have ever come across on NL.... what does that thread got to do with Muslims? undecided religion bigot
i will Take u serious wen im convinced u have sense
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by ogbanje1(f): 10:28pm On Jan 21, 2016
Echidimeh:
For those of you saying the should cancelled the ORO festival,if they do what then will keep our elders and those villagers busy and entertaining? Why don't you people cancelled Christianity and islam which is non-african?

Why the Igbo moniker when you are obviously yoruba?
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Moshopuma(m): 10:29pm On Jan 21, 2016
[color=#000099][/color]dats y I luv my town Ikorodu oga anybody can c Oro expect women ibo, hausa egun,igbera, delta even ibadan lolz no big deal in oro jt 4 man to flex ni

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Eteriayaoba(f): 10:34pm On Jan 21, 2016
Thank God for your life o
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by boluwatife66(m): 10:41pm On Jan 21, 2016
optional1:
Sorry 4 d lost nd tnk God 4 ur life, dey still do d ORO in kabba kogi state yearly self d tins wil last 4 3days ur own is better is not a yearly event. Their own non indigen nd famales r not allow to out.Pele ooo okun
okun tika arabirin....oro is one of the richest part of our history, but am afraid the op lied when he said it involves human sacrifice...proudly okun
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 10:47pm On Jan 21, 2016
Even AGEMO sef!
That was how one skirt wearing man in full agemo regalia and known very well by my great grandmother as one of the Agemo followers was raining curses about having 7 days to live and all just because he met me at a secluded place, he said I should have stopped and turned my face. I was just looking at him like what the hell is this man saying. He died within 3 months of the encounter, and I'm sure he found out that spirit pass spirit and not to curse an innocent girl.
jomoh:

Sorry we don't do those bullsh!ts in Ibadan. Even women now watch Ololu(the most dreaded masquerade in Ibadan.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Adeevah(m): 10:51pm On Jan 21, 2016
I am sure he wanted to snap them with the phanthom
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by optional1(f): 10:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
boluwatife66:

okun tika arabirin....oro is one of the richest part of our history, but am afraid the op lied when he said it involves human sacrifice...proudly okun
am not okun oooooo am jst leaving in kabba
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nairadays: 11:14pm On Jan 21, 2016
Sorry Bro. The race for your life would have been really traumatic. cry
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 11:16pm On Jan 21, 2016
This topic was created by ibo pig to portray Yoruba in bad light and was put on the front page by bigoted ibo mod. Yoruba will NEVER get how low ibos are willing to go to fight their most ferocious imaginary war with Yoruba.

These same ibo are the ones dancing with human heads and eating human flesh.

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 21, 2016
You are right bro! Am a chosen. Chosen is BLESSED and cannot be cursed. Whoever BLESSES Me is BLESSED and whoever curses is Cursed!!! Join up before its becomes late.
Yungbitz:

Your case is hardly redeemable..enjoy yourself
Join Us

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 11:30pm On Jan 21, 2016
Wyttcat:
Even AGEMO sef!
That was how one skirt wearing man in full agemo regalia and known very well by my great grandmother as one of the Agemo followers was raining curses about having 7 days to live and all just because he met me at a secluded place, he said I should have stopped and turned my face. I was just looking at him like what the hell is this man saying. He died within 3 months of the encounter, and I'm sure he found out that spirit pass spirit and not to curse an innocent girl.

Chai. Babe come borrow me dat ur spirit.

I promise I go return am. Madarikan to sure.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Wyttcat: 11:38pm On Jan 21, 2016
Does that thing last forever? I was around 14 years then, and I don't know if that was before madarikan or after. My great grandmother really tried for all around her though, especially me. That woman never allowed me to bathe with clear water, na so so agbo 365/yr. She was a woman like a man.
jomoh:

Chai. Babe come borrow me dat ur spirit.

I promise I go return am. Madarikan to sure.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by OLUJOSHINS(m): 11:39pm On Jan 21, 2016
VickyRotex:
Eyah. Phone ati owo ti lo le tarara. cry cry

ile lo lo tararaa
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by OLUJOSHINS(m): 11:43pm On Jan 21, 2016
Yorubago:
lalasticlala, why I'm I always missing FTC on posts that will make FP like this cry cry cry cry cry

Now, let me say the truth: OP sorry for the loss but these rubbish things should be cancelled by Buhari ooo

They still do it in Ojuelegba

Haa !!!!

Oro in Ojuelegba!!!!!!!

aunty na wa for U oooo
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by Lanceslot(m): 11:53pm On Jan 21, 2016
henrydadon:
u are a fool..people like u that won't make this country move forward..I just wish u can travel out of.Nigeria once and see how thing are been done...oro should be a thing of the past by now

Woe unto you for accepting foreign gods and casting away the gods of your forefathers...

1 Like

Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by jomoh: 12:08am On Jan 22, 2016
Wyttcat:
Does that thing last forever? I was around 14 years then, and I don't know if that was before madarikan or after. My great grandmother really tried for all around her though, especially me. That woman never allowed me to bathe with clear water, na so so agbo 365/yr. She was a woman like a man.

Damn. What a woman. So dey don soak you well.

Seriously some of those things work for a very long time espectially if you've not broken any of its convenant if it has any. Madarikan has been around for like ages.

Babe seriously I dey PM u.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by superted87: 12:21am On Jan 22, 2016
Donariok:
Koran chapter 10 vs 94 says
''if u have any doubt in this book i have given u, go and read d bible or ask those who read d bible. (meaning muslims should b christains) the Koran says Allah created the world through the word. (same Koran says Jesus is the word of God)
Koran mentioned d name of Jesus 25times while mohammed name was just mentioned 4times. The only woman name written in the Koran is 'mariam' (the mother of jesus) even d chapter 3 of d Koran is named after her. D Koran agreed she went to heaven with her physical body. Meaning the assumption s written in d Koran. Koran said Jesus s still alive while it stated dat mohammed s dead. Koran said Jesus can give life.
So tell me why these muslims dont wanno accept the truth and follow christ?
re u stupid or something?
Keep it up and see where your ignorance+stupidity would lead you to.
Re: How The "ORO" Festival Almost Took My Life; My Story by chronique(m): 1:01am On Jan 22, 2016
The OP didn't disappoint as usual,like the normal yoruba boy that he is. The average yoruba man has fear as a DNA. Most of them do not bother to find out what is pursuing them,before they take to their heels. However,I have also seen a few brave/bold yoruba dudes. Now,to the issue of Oro;I think there are different types of Oro procession. The one done during the day,doesn't involve humans being killed. Most times,people are warned to close their shops and shut down their businesses for the day(for people living around that immediate environment). I think it is done as a sign of respect for their god/culture. However,the one done in the middle of the night when a king has just died,is deadly. That's the one where they behead people. One of them carries a calabash on the head and keeps a palmfrond in his mouth. As dey proceed,they keep creating a certain noise after which,they shout "Oro"... I used to watch them from my window,several years back while growing up. I remember that there were cases of people who Oro caught and killed. I remember a class mate telling us about their neighbor who Oro released cos they said he was rejected for the sacrifice(don't know how true that is). But according to him,they had cut incisions with blade,around the guy's lips...

One thing I know for sure,is that humans are used for sacrifice during the real oro;not the one that made the lazy OP run like a mad dog. But what do you guys think will happen if one is stopped at night during the main Oro,and the person doesn't stop(assuming you're driving)? I've always had it in mind that I'd never stop(God forbid that I run into them) if I'm asked to stop.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. / To Maintain The Rolls-Royce Of The Emir Of Kano, Sanusi: See What It Takes / Memunat Omowunmi Adeyemi Celebrates Her Birthday With Beautiful Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.